JB16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By JB16

In my opinion they're are two types of WRPG games:

Story-centric WRPG games usually have the player travel to different areas building up a party and making choices through some type of dialogue system as they fight to save the world...or destroy it.  ex: Witcher, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Kotor.

While Exploration centric WRPG games place a player in a large open world and just let's him loose. The player then proceeds to join guilds, massacre towns, complete miscellaneous quest, and explore the world. ex: Oblivion, Morrowind, Gothic, Fallout.

If anyone can think of another type of WRPG feel free to tell me, but out of these two types which do you prefer?

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Organicalistic_

exlporation, but the oblivion time era does nothing for me

GrandpaJelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By GrandpaJelly

I like both a lot, but I suppose I pick story heavy more linear WRPGs. They immerse me more into their world.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#4  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

Give me a Morrowind, Oblivion, or a Fallout any day.  That's an easy one.
Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mariek430

Dragonage/MassEffect/Witcher any day

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By Marz

Dragon Age type fantasy

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#7  Edited By Sin4profit

Exploration type

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#8  Edited By vager

I love both, but I prefer the exploration style.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wouldn't know, as I've only played Fallout 3, of those. I like JRPGs, if that helps.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10  Edited By Symphony

WRPGs are all the same.

Sorry, that was my obligatory bitter JRPG fan post.

Seriously though, story-centric ones. Mass Effect was great, though Dragon Age sputtered out for me once I hooked up with Alistair.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By sodiumCyclops
@Mariek430 said:
" Dragonage/MassEffect/Witcher any day "
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Animasta

just call them bioware and bethesda types, because they're both the main ones behind that style.

if the first type has good writing then that one, if it doesn't then I'd rather play a exploratory one.

SuperBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SuperBuster

It seems like Bioware vs. Bethesda to me. I like to play both types but I think I enjoy the exploration more. I love games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age but I would enjoy them even more if I could explore the world more.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#14  Edited By the8bitNacho

The ones that BioWare are into making.  The whole ridiculously-huge open world as seen in the Elder Scrolls franchise, and most recently in Fallout 3, are completely unappealing to me.  That said, nothing's better (in my opinion) than a good, old-fashion Japanese RPG.  On a handheld, preferably.

Avatar image for dragonbloodthirsty
DragonBloodthirsty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 4

Can an entry to the wiki be made to let me know what a WRPG is?

I like RPG's in general for a lot of reasons, although  the two important ones are an interesting story and a compelling combat system.  I think that having too much story results in long, eventually dull scenes where I just want to go off and do something else.

I like always knowing what I'm "supposed" to be doing next, but I also like being able to ignore it and do whatever I want.  I want to be allowed to do what I want, not forced to do what I'm told; I like having a set objective because when I'm lost, it gives me a clear goal to pursue.

djaoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By djaoni
@Laketown said:

" just call them bioware and bethesda types, because they're both the main ones behind that style. "

That's just silly.

What about combat/loot driven ones like Diablo, Borderlands, Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath and so on? Personally I don't prefer any over the other and love all sorts of RPGs.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Animasta
@djaoni said:
" @Laketown said:

" just call them bioware and bethesda types, because they're both the main ones behind that style. "

That's just silly.  What about combat/loot driven ones like Diablo, Borderlands, Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath and so on? Personally I don't prefer any over the other and love all sorts of RPGs. "
they are the ones who made them popular though
FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FireBurger
@Video_Game_King said:
" Wouldn't know, as I've only played Fallout 3, of those. I like JRPGs, if that helps. "
You probably like "story driven" ones then. They're closer to JRPGs.

Personally, exploration types. Though, I like pretty much all WRPGs.
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Demyx
@djaoni said:
" @Laketown said:

That's just silly.  What about combat/loot driven ones like Diablo, Borderlands, Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath and so on? Personally I don't prefer any over the other and love all sorts of RPGs. "
I prefer those the least. As much as I like Borderlands, I also hated it for other reasons. I definitely prefer something more story centric, although I must say I prefer Mass Effect the most out of any because your character actually has dialogue.
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Daveyo520
@Symphony said:
" WRPGs are all the same. Sorry, that was my obligatory bitter JRPG fan post.  Seriously though, story-centric ones. Mass Effect was great, though Dragon Age sputtered out for me once I hooked up with Alistair. "
Aren't all games of every genre the same as the others?

Fallout 3 for me.
BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BoOzak
@djaoni said:
" @Laketown said:

Was just about to post that ;p But between the two mentioned (loot driven RPGs are my least favourite, although not unliked) i'd have to side with open world Bethesda-esque RPGs. Having played everything from Bioware & Bethesda post/during 2003. (around the same time Morrowind & KOTOR came out) Open world games in that vein just seem to have a lot more to offer. As much as I like a good story & the ability to shape it however I want, it still feels like a much more personalised exprience playing as character in a world thats free to explore; pilage, rampage, and hoard as much useless junk as you could possibly want.

But this may all be a result of having played Mass Effect 2 & Dragon Age to death as of late.. c'mon Bethesda, were all waiting..
bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bibledoctor

It's hard for me to choose. I have spent an untold amount of hours in Oblivion exploring and enjoying the scenery and the music, but on the other hand I love a game with a great story. Games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

I suppose if I had to choose one "style" of RPG that I like, it would be a game with a great story. Because there is no matching an epic tale filled with anger, love, action, and some betrayal mixed in there.

fang273

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By fang273

Both, depending on era. As far as story-driven wrpg's go, I enjoyed the old ones like planescape more than I'm enjoying this generation. I had a really hard time getting into witcher, and after a single playthrough I don't have any interest in playing more mass-effect or dragon age. 

As for open-world wrpg's, the raw power of recent times has helped them immensely. I played morrowind recently for the first time after buying it off the steam sale. After putting around 30 hours into playing it and 3 hours into modding it, I reinstalled and re-modded oblivion and am playing through that for the 4th or 5th time. I wish fallout 3 had been built from the group up though, since I'm really not looking forward to playing new vegas on a 4-5 year old engine that's been buggy from the start.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#24  Edited By BeachThunder

Hm, never really thought of it that way, I've always thought of it as Bioware vs Bethesda D:

Anyway, the first type. But, really, anything that's not bland medieval fantasy.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ch13696

I prefer Bethesda's type of WRPG's mainly because it's easier for me to worry about just one character. The only game I can give the exception to is Mass Effect. 

RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RedRoach

i like those bioware ones.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hourai

I like both, but between the two I'd probably pick the story-centric games. Everything BioWare makes is fantastic, and Mass Effect 2 could easily be my favourite game in years. I love the whole choose your own adventure thing and how choices impact the story, and damn if BioWare games don't have great gameplay, music, and characters to go with these stories. Looking at the list of games they've made, there's not one RPG in there that I didn't enjoy. Story-centric games are the video game equivalent of a book, and just like real books people either love them or find them long and boring. 

I'm also a fan of the the free-roam type, but the recent ones aren't doing much for me. Morrowind is probably my second favourite WRPG, but the more recent ones feel kind of dated and lifeless. I could overlook Morrowind having terrible combat and AI since it came out in 2002, but Oblivion came out in 2006 and Fallout 3 in late 2008. They've tried to address the combat issues since, but it still isn't enough. Oblivion's wasn't much better than Morrowind's, and Fallout 3 had some cool ideas with the VATS but it was still a pain in the ass to fight without using it since guns miss 90% of the time without super high stats. The amount of AI glitches certainly don't help you feel involved in the games, either. It's a ton of fun creating your own character and roaming around the world doing whatever you want, but I've had a better experience with story-centric WRPGs overall. 

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Black_Raven

I like them both, but I'd say story oriented RPGs have the slight edge for me, as long as they aren't boring (which is most of them to be honest). The Witcher is one of my favourites, though I do think the environments could be a bit more open, something which looks to be fixed in the sequel. 

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Either type is cool with me. My all-time 2 favorite RPGs are Fallout 3 and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, so I can definitely go either way.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#30  Edited By Yummylee
@Mariek430 said:
" Dragonage/MassEffect/Witcher any day "
Dannoob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Dannoob

Fallout 3 ... Definitely. 

I guess watching an entire season of Desert Punk before playing fallout 3 would do that. 
i wish they'd make a Desert Punk game in a fallout style way

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#32  Edited By aleryn

I prefer the play-one-character, first person style, exploration open world style.   Daggerfall and Morrowind are the high points I think.  Oblivion just was hurt by too much voice acting, hurt the options in quests and variety.  There's a lot of other good open ended RPGs beyond Bethesda's stuff, too.

But I do really enjoy a good talky protagonist, story driven WRPG as well.  I adore Mass Effect, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Torment, and others.  I liked KOTOR at the time, and I really want to try Witcher.  I didn't care much for Dragon Age though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5997efb371d97
deactivated-5997efb371d97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely fucking hate it when games try to tell me a story, so I'm definitely an exploration type of guy.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#34  Edited By flaminghobo

I like both, but if I had to chose one, then it would be story-centric RPGs.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a5cc20e5213
deactivated-59a5cc20e5213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My all time favorite game is Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. The story, plot twist, characters and locations was all awesome, plus the whole good vs bad characters made multiple play through's very enjoyable. 

I prefer Wrpg, because they are actually role playing games (compared to jrpg's) Being able to create a character and shape them as you wish, wrpg tend to have more focus on loot, exploration and have characters and worlds i can relate to more easily.

Just realized my post turned into a wrpg vs jrpg thing... hmm fuck it! :D

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gizmo

I really enjoy playing Oblivion, I just get so badly distracted installing/testing out mods. 

But yeah, i'm more of a Bethesda guy, I try and play Bioware games, I just find them incredibly boring.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By penguindust

I like the story ones best.  In fact they are my favorite type of video game period.  But, I also love the exploration and loot gathering types, too.  [As someone already pointed out there are 3 types of WRPG, not 2]  I think as we head into the future it's going to be harder to distinguish which is an RPG and which is a game with RPG elements.  Shooters, action/adventure and even puzzle games all incorporate aspects we normally associate with RPGs.  I think this a good thing, but it makes me wonder what's in store for the pure RPG formula.  How will it evolve over time?

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ChickenPants
@JB16 said:

" making choices through some type of dialogue system as they fight to save the world...or destroy it.   "

Eh... That really isn't a unique characteristic of any RPG subset.

On topic though, I do prefer story driven RPGs. Although open world free-roaming ones can still be good if you are given some sense of an overlying story arc from the start.ie. Fallout 3. I really didn't like Dragon Age's story much at all. Particularly the way that right from the offset you were told you needed to go to these 4 places to seek help.. Oh, and what do you know, each of these places have some problem you have to solve before you can get that help.....

My favourite Western RPGs are definately Baldur's Gate, Diablo and Planescape Torment.

EDIT: Ugh, just thinking about Dragon Age more gets me angry... That game was good, but godamn it was a letdown in so many ways....
Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rebirth1337

Game's like Fallout and Oblivion are more my cup of tea than say Dragon Age and Mass Effect.

Vermy81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40  Edited By Vermy81

Story driven, though truth be known I'd say more like story driven, party based and with combat from D&D based are my very favorite. 

So like 

Planescape/Baldur's Gate/
DA/ME
Fallout

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By fuzzyponken

Man, gamers are so fond of labeling and categorizing everything, it's getting ridiculous. Matched only by hardcore black metal fans.  

I don't really like RPG's to begin with, but exploration type games usually get tiresome and boring in a game with such dull/slow/stupid combat mechanics as RPG's tend to have for some reason (seriously, why anyone would want anything other than real time combat in any game I'll never understand), so if I were to play an RPG I'd prefer it to be a straight, linear experience. I fucking hate party mechanics, though, so that limits my options considerably. 

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By raiz265

Story-centric stuff. 

Never liked Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't get enough of either, but Morrowind & Mount&Blade are my all time favorite RPGs, so open world is clearly superior in my eye when done right.

Recent Bethesda implementations (Oblivion, Fallout 3) have been pretty poor, though. In that case, I'll take even a mediocre "story-driven" (D&D derivative, I call them, because I always relate them to Baldur's Gate) over an open world game that isn't done well.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#44  Edited By citizenkane

I enjoy both types pretty much equally, that I can't choose between the two.  Mass Effect 2 (story based) and Fallout 3 (exploration based) are two of my top favorite games of this generation.

Avatar image for deactivated-643fcf03a370c
deactivated-643fcf03a370c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tend to prefer Story centric RPGs because it gives me a better idea of what I'm meant to do, and it gives me a reason to actually play the game. Which is in stark contrast to the Fallout/Oblivion type of game where there's isn't really any focus, and I tend to just get bored by their lack of direction (also I'm a bit of a completionist, and I don't want to get sucked into games that are that expansive)

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By gike987
@PenguinDust said:

" I like the story ones best.  In fact they are my favorite type of video game period.  But, I also love the exploration and loot gathering types, too.  [As someone already pointed out there are 3 types of WRPG, not 2]  I think as we head into the future it's going to be harder to distinguish which is an RPG and which is a game with RPG elements.  Shooters, action/adventure and even puzzle games all incorporate aspects we normally associate with RPGs.  I think this a good thing, but it makes me wonder what's in store for the pure RPG formula.  How will it evolve over time? "

They will probably turn into shooters like everything else. Mass Effect 2 was the start of it and still everyone complains about the combat in RPGs. They won't be happy until it's a pure shooter. To me Mass Effect 2 already felt like a shooter with dialog choices.
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By fuzzyponken
@PenguinDust said:
" I like the story ones best.  In fact they are my favorite type of video game period.  But, I also love the exploration and loot gathering types, too.  [As someone already pointed out there are 3 types of WRPG, not 2]  I think as we head into the future it's going to be harder to distinguish which is an RPG and which is a game with RPG elements.  Shooters, action/adventure and even puzzle games all incorporate aspects we normally associate with RPGs.  I think this a good thing, but it makes me wonder what's in store for the pure RPG formula.  How will it evolve over time? "
Get incorporated in other genres and be phased out as a genre completely eventually, like adventure games. 
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They do still make adventure games from time to time.

fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By fuzzyponken

Could you name me some recent ones?

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers