What was the last game that got you excited like you used to when you were a kid?

• 83 results
frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By frymillstrum

Axiom Verge, Guacamelee and Steam World Dig 2, even though funnily enough I never played a Metroidvania until Shadow Complex when I was 16.

Dark Souls 1 also gave me that "OMG this is amazing and I'm going to play it every free minute I get for the next month" feeling that I used to get as a kid (except when I was a kid every free minute EVERY minute).

So to answer, the LAST game was Steamworld Dig 2. I was hoping Celeste would be that for me too but unfortunately it just didn't grab me all that much.

Mamba219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By Mamba219

I get excited when they unveil really cool new DLC or content for Total War: Warhammer II.

Just the other day I started playing Tales of Xillia on a lark, and have been totally into it ever since. Loving almost everything about the game so far - characters, voice acting, has an intriguing story thus far, and above all else the battle system. Despite never playing a game in the franchise before I've put the difficulty on Hard and would put it higher if I could - no regrets whatsoever. Just thinking about playing it more has gotten me grinning and bouncing about like a preteen.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#53  Edited By csl316

There were a few over the past few years, but the most recent was Devil May Cry 5. I fucking loved 1, 3, and 4, and while DmC was solid I was still not into a lot of its style. 4 was the reason I wanted to get a PS3, so that series certainly has its hold on me. And everything in this new trailer just hit for me.

I was super excited to see new Halo and Doom announcements, but I can't really count that hype because there was nothing to actually see there.

As far as the last game I actually played? I dunno, man, I feel like I'm less into games these days. But in recent years I have experiences a few times each year where I'm grinning ear to ear. Maybe not the whole game, but some moments that reaffirm that I'll always be playing games.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Final Fantasy 15 got me good. Came out right as I was finishing classes for the semester and I just would lose hours and hours of the day playing. Typically I have trouble playing a game for more than an hour or two nowadays unless I am playing with friends. When I was younger I would sit there for hours and I got teleported right back to then with FF15. I am not a huge JRPG fan but have always had a soft spot for the Final Fantasy games, and Kingdom Hearts as well so I fully expect to become an edgy 12 year old again when KH3 comes out.

Francium34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Mass Effect 3 was the watershed for me.

Read all the novels, preordered the art book. Preordered the collector edition and ignored the noise about "has mass effect sold out"--an IGN podcast title no less (in hindsight, locking javik as day 1 dlc was indefensible). Even installed the ipad game when I was away from home! I came home from travelling with a fever, and still made sure to stop at Best Buy to pick up the game.

I emerged a bitter old man from the other side.

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been wetting myself over Dreams on the PSVR for years now, ever since the 2015 rumors arose. Anyways, I have never been this excited about a game in all my life, it reminds me of the xmas I knew I was getting a NES.

The excitement is too high, but I'll deal with any disappointment that might arise if the game turns out to be a stinker for some crazy reason. Being this excited about a game feels daaaaaaamn good, and I'm not letting that feeling to until I know it's unmerited. :) I want to make the games and thingies that big studios can't do. I want to try many different ways to make mechs in VR, and I want to play other people's attempts.. Learn from each other and just create a community of creative people who push what the engine can do.. I'm mad with excitement!

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Man's Sky before release got me so excited that I was starting to gush about it to my friends and family. I was seeing every trailer multiple times every week and my imagination was running wild at the possibilities of how big it is going to be.

While I did like it a lot when it came out and put about 35 hours into it, it definitely didn't match the hype I was giving it (but I still love it for making feel like a kid again!).

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Pre-release wise? Hmm not sure, I get excited about about games (last year's Blazblue Cross Tag reveal was pretty dope) but not "kid before Christmas" levels of anticipation. I try to keep expectation in check since hyped games usually disappoint me to varying degrees. During/after playing? Well not to be too on the nose but I've been pretty obsessed with the Trails series for the last few years since going down that rabbit hole. Otherwise, I'd have to go back to either Skyrim or Persona 4 Golden.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I can't say anything matches my childhood excitement over games, but I get pretty stoked for Bethesda's big RPGs. Can't say as I'm feeling it for Fallout 76, but I still hope it's good.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

For games that have since released:

• Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
  • Legend of Zelda: BotW

Currently, Cyberpunk 2077 has me super hyped and jazzed though. I am certainly more excited about that game than anything else in a long, long time. I really hope it can deliver.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Octopath Traveler got me to actually make a forum thread about it. I don't think I've done that in half a decade.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think almost anything that came out on a console/computer that I didn't have used to get the me overhyped as a kid, but then pre-internet games magazines were very good at making things seem so potentially brilliant. I think the last time I got that buzz was probably Red Dead Redemption - Rockstar seemed to hold so much info back it had that same old feeling of "what is going to be, what will I be able to do?"

Nowadays, I feel there is just too much info out there it's hard to get too built up over things. Combined with the sheer number of releases there is these days, for me, hype for future releases has been replaced with the wonderful surprise of finding something I didn't know was out.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DSIII

Played it for the first day after release. Was so pumped to play more hat I had trouble enjoying my vacation in LA because I just wanted to be back in NY playing Dark Souls.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@slaps2: right on duder, hope you get good news soon!

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

There are games out today that would make 15 year old me absolutely dumbfounded that they could even exist.

No Man's Sky.

DOOM.

TC: Wildlands

Nier: Automata

Paliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Definitely Breath of the Wild and Hitman for me. Both were so exciting to jump into in short bursts, or for as long as I had time for. I rarely am that excited and giddy to be playing a game anymore, but something about the accessibility and exploration made those two stand out.

Never4ever4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Never4ever4

Sonic Mania - I'm not the most rabid Sonic fan; I hate the 3D games. However Sonic 3 & Knuckles holds a special spot in my heart and is easily one of my favorite games of all time. I was legitimately giddy in the weeks leading up to the games release. Thankfully, Mania delivered exactly what I wanted and I spent the next few weeks absolutely engrossed with the game.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Purely based on leading-up-to-release hype, Breath of the Wild. It also mostly fulfilled my expectations too (which is a rarity these days), at least on my initial 50 hour binge. Currently Red Dead Redemption 2 is starting to approach that level of excitement but I'm still waiting on Rockstar's patented "here's what you do in this game" trailers before it properly hits the threshold.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Obviously it’s hard to get excited like a kid but in terms of upcoming games, Devil May Cry 5 comes the closest. I was resigned to the thought that DMC was pretty much a dead series. The fact that DMC4 sold well in a vacuum but not nearly as well as it needed to, I thought DmC was the nail in coffin given the sales of that one.

In terms games I’ve played, I played REmake earlier in the year and it was one of those rare games I’ve been kicking myself for not having played it sooner. Consequently, I’m pretty excited about REmake 2 but I have more history the DMC series.

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Octopath hit that nostalgia feel for me real good. Really got excited for it and have enjoyed it. Only game I can think of that topped it in recent years though, is most likely Dark Souls 3 for me

DoctorOdds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witcher 3 as well for me. I had played through the first two games and read most (all?) of the books by the time 3 was announced. The first gameplay trailer stunned me. By the time 3 came out, I was definitely in love with the Geralt from the books, and I was glad to see him reunite with Yen and Ciri. The good ending to that game was also perfect, near brought me to tears.

I’d was also fairly pumped for the expansion, Blood and Wine. Mostly because I (rightly) predicted that an expansion set in Toussaint would be the perfect place for CDPR to introduce my favourite character from the books to the game world. I won’t be more specific because the reveal of that character made me loudly shout yes with both hands in the air.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By soulcake

There where only a few game that came up the last set of years. Where i woke up and sayed "fuck i need to play more!" Games that come to mind where The Witcher 3 and GTA V. As much as i wanted to like Dark Souls III it kinda felt flat. Hmmm yeah also getting TES Skyrim a week earlier was pretty fun, rushed through that whole game in a week is probably why i don't like Skyrim anymore.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Witcher 3 was the last one where I got the Amazon delivery notification and had the "sprint home from the school bus" feeling. Starting to get that vibe from Cyberpunk as well, just based on what people were saying about that E3 demo. Here's to hoping they can stick the landing.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Its been a while...

The last ones I can remember were GTA 4, God of War 3, Final Fantasy 13 and Arkham Knight on PC.

So... that didn't turn out right.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I can think of a few. But I'm kind of a weirdo, so they'll probably make you wonder just what I was thinking when I got so excited for them in the first place. :D

The game I last remember being really, unreasonably excited for was Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. See, I'm a total weirdo, but I was just so enamored with the snippets of gameplay and art for the game that I just couldn't wait for it to be released. Of course, it wasn't the horror masterpiece I was hoping for, but I did enjoy it once I tempered my expectations a bit. I will say this about the game, though - It has an amazing score. Wonderful music. I always get a bit depressed that people may have avoided the game based on mediocre reviews or word of mouth, and missed out on the amazing music. Also, there were some truly gross and scary moments that I think rival its predecessor. But overall, it was disappointing when set against my hype.

Before that, I would put both Mass Effect 3 and Kingdom Hearts II as games that got me super excited in a more childlike, hopeful way. The problem, of course, is that all of these games let me down in some ways. So now I tend to be more cynical, especially with Bioware games after Andromeda.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Dang, maybe it’s Dead Space 2 for me as well. The fact that I got my hands on a copy almost a week before the official release definitely did help.

I don’t get crazy excited like I did as a kid anymore, what with all the information you can get beforehand these days, in contrast to all those years ago, when at best I only had some written previews and screenshots to get my imagination rolling. But with that said, I did almost start counting hours for God of War’s release and had a blast playing through it.