What's the longest you have ever sat there playing a game?

• 113 results
videogameninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What's the longest you have ever sat there playing a game?

For me, damn, I have to go all the way back to my Nintendo/Sega Genesis days. There was no save features for most of those games. Back then, if you wanted to see the end credits for a game you had to hunker down and basically live like a hermit (or freak depending on you point of view.) until you were done.

Every once and a while you would come across a game like Zelda that had save files built in or some other method of continuation like inputting a password but those games were the exception rather than the norm.

Personally speaking, I think the most time I ever spent was playing a game nonstop was from around 6 AM until 3 AM the following morning. I know that may seem "light" when compared to some of the experts out there. I've heard of some incredibly long marathons that last weeks for certain games. That "Desert Bus" game/simulator comes to mind.

-VIDEOGAME NINJA APPROVED-

TheCycloneWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My personal record is something like 30 hours straight, renting Chrono Trigger from the local Tan 'n Tapes on a Friday and resolving to finish it before I had to return it on Sunday. I probably took a few weeks off of my young life that weekend and I didn't even finish the game (stupid final boss and its bait-and-switch bullshit). To top it off someone overwrote my save before I could rent it again, the bastard.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I guess Diablo 2 where i played it at a lanparty for 2 days straight without sleep.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Outside of charity marathons, I think 12 hours has been my limit.

JasonMasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure what time I started, but I played WoW back in vanilla (2006-ish) until 6 a.m. once (we were trying to get through Scholomance). Once I realized the sun was coming up, I vowed I would never do that again, with any game. Still haven't.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Almost definitely high school sessions of Diablo 2, the game none of my friends or I could tear ourselves away from for an entire summer. There were certainly a few entire days swallowed by Baal runs, trade room idling and bad energy drinks. A few friends made a nice sideline selling Diablo accounts with levelled characters on eBay (back when eBay properly weird) or selling other kids in-game items for cash. Close second would be God of War 3, a game I didn't even own or actually like all that much but beat in a single sitting while at a friends because no one stopped me.

DevvyBoyyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did two 12 hour stints in an effort to finish MGS V a while back. It something I never want to do again. It just feels bad, getting all glassy-eyed and gross. MGS V is a good game though. One that I'll never play again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Probably Ragnarok Online when I was in high school. During the summer breaks I played that game from morning til night. But that game was so incredibly grindy that it almost required such a time commitment.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I think I did ten hours once when FFX released. That felt real bad.

Anything over 4-5 hours probably isn't worth it imo

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Probably Red Dead Redemption, for like, 5-6 hours with a friend. Just roaming around the free-roam multiplayer. Good times.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably around ten to fifteen hours... Wait, straight? Do you mean without getting up to go to a bathroom break, eat, or talk to family members? Several hours if so, though I'm not entirely sure. I think I beat Uncharted 2 in one sitting without getting up, which is about eight hours, and Dead Space 2, which was around twelve I think. I don't remember if I got up though, but I seem to remember just sitting there going through. On a side note (at least to me), Dead Space 2 = awesome experience, while Uncharted 2 = not so much (I did enjoy it more in the PS4 remaster however).

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By GundamGuru

As far as I can remember, it was my Buckyball A* run of 18 hours 16 minutes 45 seconds in Elite: Dangerous. It was a total of 26,000 ly and about 1000 individual hyperspace jumps. Though we did take bathroom and meal breaks, the official runtime is real world not playtime. It took a whole Saturday, and my friend and I listened to the entirety of Leviathan Wakes on Audible while we were doing it. I've got a screenshot gallery on Imgur with the ship loadout, timestamps, and some vanity shots of the ship. You had to submit screens of your departure and arrival time to get on the leaderboard.

I've never done anything like Extra Life, and after the BBA run, fun as it was, I don't think I've got that kind of endurance in me again.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By LawGamer

I did about 16 hours one time in college about 12 years ago. I was playing Jade Empire. I was really, really sick at the time with the worst sore throat I'd ever had. I was too weak and tired to go out and my throat hurt too much to get any sleep, so I played video games pretty much until I just passed out.

It kinda sucked and was awesome all at the same time. I don't think I actually enjoyed much of that 16 hours given how sick I was, but I also don't know what I would have done without having video games to take my mind off the pain.

richyhahn4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer said:

I did about 16 hours one time in college about 12 years ago. I was playing Jade Empire. I was really, really sick at the time with the worst sore throat I'd ever had. I was too weak and tired to go out and my throat hurt too much to get any sleep, so I played video games pretty much until I just passed out.

It kinda sucked and was awesome all at the same time. I don't think I actually enjoyed much of that 16 hours given how sick I was, but I also don't know what I would have done without having video games to take my mind off the pain.

This is actually what I'm going through right now, very sick, far too sick to be out in Indiana winter right now. so I'm playing long stints of RimWorld and odd random pokemon rom-hacks...its been a wonderful fever dream

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably 12 hrs or so in college on Persona 3. I've come close a few times with the Witcher 3, but it's not something I love doing. Every 2 or 3 hours I like to take a break and do some cleaning up for half an hour.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pulled 25 hours straight when Wrath of the Lich King came out for WoW. Raced the guild to level 80 or whatever then did a raid.

8 hours straight on my first Civilization run (Civ 5).

Now 3 hours is crazy for me.

videogameninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My personal record is something like 30 hours straight, renting Chrono Trigger from the local Tan 'n Tapes on a Friday and resolving to finish it before I had to return it on Sunday. I probably took a few weeks off of my young life that weekend and I didn't even finish the game (stupid final boss and its bait-and-switch bullshit). To top it off someone overwrote my save before I could rent it again, the bastard.

The pain this younger generation will never know, right?

-WE'RE OLD NINJA APPROVED-

dstopia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a teen and didn't have internet at home, so I did a couple of all nighters at ill-reputed LAN cafes grinding Ragnarok Online and playing the early chaotic multiple versions of Dota-like maps for WC3. You would pay pennies to stay all night there, and it was always a terrible decision. I'm not happy I did that, but I was a dumb teen.

Avatar image for arbitrarypocket
ArbitraryPocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say my record is somewhere around 40 hours, but I've had quite a few smoking breaks so I can't say I haven't lifted my arse off the chair completely.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

About 9 or 10 hours when I was younger. Now I can't play for more than 3 hours straight.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I've been to a few 15-20 hour lan parties.

spaced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the longest I ever went was the last 12 hours of Mass Effect 2 dovetailed directly into the first 4 hours of Mass Effect 3. But even then that was from somewhere around 10am to 2am. The few times I've tried to stay up all night have destroyed me. I've done 10pm to 10am Halo 1 & 2 back to back before and I was basically a zombie the entire next day.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Not that long I don't think. I beat COD4 on Veteran in one 10 hour sitting, it's either that or the time I did the whole of Oblivion's Thieve's Guild in one sitting.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Capum15

I managed to start and beat GTA IV in two 10 or 11 hour sessions the weekend after it released.

GKabooz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

22 hours or so on Jurassic Park Operation Genesis. Runner-up at only 8 hours, Disgaea 2. Personally surprise that Civ isn't on peoples list as often as I thought.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I am assume we are meaning playing wherre we only get up to go to the bathroom and grab a drink for a minutes or two before going back... In that case probably close to 36 hours for Seven Cities of Gold on a Apple II. I spent over a day and nigh playing that. Other games for over 20 hours woudl be Civilization 2, Sim City 2000, TOS: Oblivion, and Dragons Dogma.

I have to say after age 40 playing for more than 8 hours is hard. For those eight hours I can sit and play, but after that amount of time I have REAL stuff to do. I actually feel horrible spending a whole day playing a game! I feel like I'm fucking up my life, because there is so much adult-stuff to be done.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By Nux

When Skyrim came out I played it for 15 hours straight. I only stopped for the occasional bathroom and food break.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Over 24 hours the first time me and my friend group played minecraft together. This was back in the flat plane, no generation, limited space days. We were in high school and on some sort of break so we just kept playing and playing until we realized how long it had actually been.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I once played the Elder Scrolls Morrowind for almost 18 hours straight.

JordoST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Final Fantasy 11 for 22 hours straight.
It was hellish

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Halo LAN parties with my friends. We'd play for 20 hours straight. Sleep for a bit, watch a movie then play another 20 hours. Sometimes I'd leave halfway through for work, come back bringing food and drinks and keep playing. It was awesome

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#32  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I don't remember specifically how long it was, but I do remember playing System Shock 2 in co-op with a couple of friends over at least 24 hours straight back in 2000, possibly even upwards of two days, but my memories of that thing is getting pretty hazy beyond us enabling cheats in the end and spawning walls of coffee cops.

My absolute longest game sessions since then have probably been in the 10-12 hour range, and that's a very rare occasion.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

My record is probably when I was in one of my Elder Scrolls Oblivion / Skyrim holes. Those were times where I had no obligations, like starting a new file of Oblivion the day I graduated high school or finally playing Skyrim after I graduated college and when I was in between jobs. Even then, I think we're talking about 6-8 hours straight. I haven't done anything like an Extra Life stream or played through a game non-stop for 12+ hours or anything. Even if I did absolutely nothing that day, I would typically stop for things like lunch and dinner and take a natural break through that.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably 6 hours or something like that. My husband (then boyfriend) had to leave town for about a week. I had just gotten Fallout 3. It was a perfect storm of suddenly having a bunch of free time plus having a new and engrossing game to play.

More recently, we both ended up playing Destiny MP for almost a whole day to knock off some exotic weapon bounties. This was before the first expansion, so they were a bit tedious. Some of these bounties have since been tweaked to make them easier. Also, some of the weapons don't even require a bounty anymore to attain, like Invective, which you can get from exotic engrams. I had real issues doing the Year One Thorn bounty since it required void damage kills in crucible with weapons or subclass powers and, if anyone remember Y1, hunters didn't have a void subclass, which was what I play. So while other classes had grenades and supers to use, I had to scrape by this just weapons... It was so annoying. So yeah, 5 or 6 hours of Destiny MP with a brief break for lunch.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Longest run for me has to be in the 20 hour range, playing WoW from wakeup to eventual passing out at night.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By glots

WoW takes the cake, easily. Especially during the Vanilla days when the game was completely new, there were plenty of days lost to Azeroth. Not a whole 24 hour session, but not that far off either. Starting to play at 8-9am and stopping somewhere around 1-2am was pretty common when I'd have days off from school/work.

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not entirely sure the length, but I bought Bioshock on a Friday and played it almost nonstop for the weekend (minus food/bathroom breaks). I beat it in basically one sitting. I never turned off my 360. Looking back, I'm surprised it didn't RROD during that weekend.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably 18-20 hours. And, yes, it was vanilla WoW.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely some long sessions of FFXI. That game has a way of monopolizing your time. I kind of feel like MMO's are cheating in this category, though.

nyberrite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vanilla WoW, ~20 or so hours.

madladunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Straight? Probably 10 hours or so. One that stands out was a final hard playthrough and achievement mop-up of Just Cause 2, against the clock as I needed to sell the game so bad.

That was a really bad experience.

Really, really bad.

In other news, did a LAN party this Saturday just gone, played Unreal Tournament (yes the first one), Q3 and Return to Castle Wolfenstein for about 9 hours straight. It was fun. Sort of.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#42  Edited By spiceninja

Back when I was unemployed I used to sit and play WoW 24/7. Every day, 8 hours or more a day, like it was my job or something. I can't really say what my longest session was but 12 to 15 hours sounds right.

ishinji32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've sat and banged my head against MMOs for 8+ hours on my days off from work, but given that I'm having to be a Responsible Adult™ more and more frequently these days those sessions get shorter and shorter. I believe my record is 13 hours, which was in some garbage free MMO I played in college.

In the non-MMO space, I remember playing .hack//Outbreak cover-to-cover in one sitting. I think that took about 11 hours.

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think my personal record was 17 hours of Fallout 3. I only stopped for bathroom breaks and dinner, so it wasn't completely straight through if you count that.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By FacelessVixen

Probably beating all of Jak 3 in 14 hours back in the day.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Cheetoman

I wanna say around 13-14 hours. Vanilla WoW

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I remember seeing the sun come up while playing the original X-COM: UFO Defense and being relatively shocked, since I hadn't realized I had been playing all night. I'm sure there've been some long WoW sessions since then but that's the first one I remember.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Probably like 10 to 12 hours. When we had some LAN stuff back in the day, it'd be easy to lose a day to a game (with a food break in there somewhere.)

These days, 3 to 5 hours is the very highest end of the spectrum.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Couldn't have been more than like 20.