Goddammit I want to play this game bad. But why do I have the feeling that this will be the next Duke Nukem Forever?
I don't care anymore. Portal has replaced Half-Life as my favorite Valve franchise. Which isn't to say I wouldn't be insanely hyped when Valve finally announces a new Half-Life, but it's just not something I think about anymore.
Having said that, I think it will be next year. They don't have any other big releases on the horizon. I doubt they would make another Portal so soon, I can't see them doing another Left 4 Dead or Team Fortress for a while. The only two games they're working on, that I'm aware of anyway, are Half-Life and DOTA 2. Unless the rumor about them reviving Prospero is true, in which case, they're working on that as well. But my point is, they've been working on a new Half-Life for a long-ass time, and now that they don't have any other big games to get in the way, I think the time is right.
I do not think the majority of games take four years to make. Additionally Portal 2 was Episode 3, sorry you missed it
Why do people keep comparing this to Duke Nukem Forever? It's been what, 4 years? A huge majority of games take longer then that to make.
I maintain my theory that they wrote themselves so far into a corner that they just can't come up with a decent script - and here is why:
- Gordon is a mute, so who is Alyx going open up to now? Magnussen? Kleiner? Barney? You just can't get any emotional mileage out of that constellation, and …
- … therefore you would need to retcon in Alyx' forgotten sister, mother or something.
- After all this Alyx should be in emotional shock for quite a while. A flash forward seems unavoidable ("two weeks later").
- Again, Gordon is a mute. Keeping him just watching Alyx sob in the arms of other characters and having emotional conversations she should have with, oh I don't know, THE MAIN FRIGGIN' CHARACTER THAT IS WITH HER ALL THE TIME would be positively creepy by now. You would essentially be playing a floating camera with guns at this point.
- The first person sex tech is just not there yet
@ShadowSkill11 said:Actually...Which perfectly explains why they've been releasing more games and game content than ever before ...?
Whenever Valve damn well feels like it. Their primary cash cow is the Steam store not making video games.
It does. Valve purchased Turtle Rock to develop the Left 4 Dead series, and Portal 2 is a combination of two separate teams of promising college grads with brilliant ideas.