When was the last time a game became your new favourite?

• 144 results
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I flip flopped a lot this last generation. Forza 3, Fable 2, or Fallout 3 could have taken that spot, but Skyrim and New Vegas came out and completely dominate my favorite games mental list now.

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Pokemon Red!

Seriously.

I've probably put more time into that one game than I have into any other. I've beaten it top to bottom multiple times, caught 'em all, seen it all, done it all. As referenced in another thread, I used to hear the music long after I turned my Game Boy off. My mother hated how often she suddenly needed to buy new AA batteries. It was bad!

Nothing has quite hooked me the way that game did back in the 90's. Oblivion and Skyrim came close, and Metal Gear Solid is up there, and I'm always down for some Ocarina of Time, but I don't think there's anything that's ever given me as much pure, primal joy as Pokemon Red.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It isn't the best thing I've ever played but it is definitely in my top 10 and that is System Shock 2. Played it two years ago for the first time. My top two games are Deus Ex and Morrowind so it's not terribly surprising that I love the shit out of that game.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If you consider Persona 4 Golden taking over the original Persona 4 then that; otherwise, it would be Persona 4.

peterdotorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spelunky might be my favorite game at this point, though Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is giving it a run for its money. I picked it up a week ago and it has completely monopolized my free time like no other game has.

domineeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

W101, never 'got' it after my first playthrough, visited it again after Bayonetta 2 and boy is it better in nearly every way. Also has in my opinion the best ending of any Platinum game.

Around the same time I revisited Shadow of the Colossus and it became one of my favorites all over again. I played it when I was 12 after seeing it on X-Play and expected something like Legend of Zelda, it was my first PS2 game and I spent so long just trying to figure out what it was and poking at the edges, it holds a very special place in my heart and I have very fond memories of it. Something about the world and story really resonated with my 12 year old self and it still does today. It's been almost 10 years and there maybe hasn't been a game that ambitious since.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't know. I mean I consider Ocarina of Time to be my favorite game and it was towards the beginning of my video gaming hobby so it could be just the fondness for that time in my life.

That said some recent games have been at the very top of my list of favorite games especially Dota 2. Which is now the game I have spent the most time with by orders of magnitude.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It takes me a while to realize how I feel about some games. Chrono Trigger is my favorite game, and I played that for the first time in like 2000, but I didn't decide for sure it was my favorite game until like 5 years ago. Still there seems to be a new game I would count among my all time favorites every 2 or 3 years, the last was Bastion I think.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

the correct answer for me is the last of us. but if your talking a out a game i diddent know i would like or play as much as i did is properly anno 2070 got it 1½ or 2 years after its release, and ended up buying it when it was on sale because it looked decent and the graphics looked great. i still freaking love that game. and have logged about 370 hours in that game, and its one of those games where i sit down play a little or at least i think im playing a little and suddenly 4 hours has passed with ease. the first time i played it. i have no plans to do anything and just wanted to check out how it looked at max settings just to get a visual. 8 hours later i looked at the clock and had no idea where time had gone

JosephKnows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

The first game that I considered as my #1 favorite was Final Fantasy Tactics back in 98. That got overthrown by Metal Gear Solid 2 in 2002 when I first played it. Then came Resident Evil 4 on the PS2, which I once regarded as the greatest game of all time after playing it first in 2006, and it held the crown for the longest time until Batman: Arkham City took the throne as my personal favorite.

And just after two years, The Last of Us came around, and it took over my life for a good six months thanks to the amazing and underrated multiplayer. To this day, I still play the multiplayer. I actually just finished the single player recently on Hard for my second playthrough total, and I just started again on Survivor difficulty. After that, one more playthrough on Grounded should be enough.

Until I get the Remastered edition once I buy a PS4.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

DARK SOULS!!!!!!!

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup Binding of Issac! Gearing up for a full day of runs tomorrow and hopefully an early Bombcast. Love having Tuesdays off.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#113  Edited By FacelessVixen

Either Dragon's Dogma or Persona 4 Golden sometime last year. They don't best Skyrim for me, but I'd put them in a recent top ten list or something.

discomposure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age: Origins. Got it along with my PS3 and a couple other games for christmas 4 years ago. I came to last gen a few years late and was previously very much a 'casual' gamer and I'd never played a wrpg before. I didn't start playing DA:O until a couple months later but DAMN. First time I've ever finished a game without taking any major breaks, I was playing it atleast a couple hours every day until I beat it. I think it's also ended up being the first long game I've ever replayed, as well as the first game I've replayed multiple times.
Since then I've played a host of other console wrpgs and its clear that is very much 'my' genre but dragon age origins still tops the list for me.
I dunno if that will change anytime soon, there are plenty of computer wrpgs I want to check out (Baldurs Gate especially) but I think Dragon Age Origins is gonna be very hard to displace for me.

As a slight side point, the Mass Effect series are my second favourite games after the Dragon Ages (yes, even 2!) and I honestly didn't have a problem with the ending of 3 at all. I did only play it after it had been patched with the extended edition or whatever it was called though, but I actually liked that it was so 'wait.. wtf?!' right at the end, more so after I thought about it for a bit. Maybe I'm weird.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Lost_Remnant

I've never really ever pinned down a number one favorite (except maybe Final Fight, I grew up playing a lot of brawlers and Final Fight on the SNES was one of those games I played to hell and back. I even remember buying Final Fight Guy from blockbuster in some kind of clearance sale as a kid and was blown away by having a completely new character to play and beat the game again a bajillion times)

To put up a game that isn't backed by so much childhood nostalgia would probably have to be RE4. I remember playing RE4 when it came out in Janurary 05 and not much else for a solid four months or so. If I was to try and count completed playthroughs across multiple console releases would probably be in the neighborhood of fifty or more completed runs and a ton of hours in mercenaries. I've bought the game on Gamecube, PS2 (the bonus Ada campaign made me buy it on release without hesitation), Wii and Xbox 360. If Capcom takes yet another trip to the well and re-releases the thing on new consoles I will buy it yet again. RE2 is the only RE game that came close to the amount of times I've played a game to death and is probably in my top five as well.

The Fallout series is the only other batch of games I can think of having played on an obsessive level and became instant favorites upon playing them for the first time. Fallout 3 is the only game that was a weird one, I thought the story stuff was bunk and the "oh no, enclave are back son!" stuff grated on me. I can also get Jeff Gertsmann levels of indignant rage over the ending change that happened with Broken Steel. That was some powerfully stupid stuff. I still put in a staggering amount of time with it and did it all over again with New Vegas. It's also been a couple of years since I've played through the first two games, so I'll probably do that again.

Other games like Tales of Symphonia, Freedom Fighters, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Fire Emblem on GBA and Path of Radiance on Gamecube have taken up large amounts of time from me over the years. RE4 and the Fallout series takes the top spot for me just remembering random minutia of it such as knowing just about where nearly every spinel or hidden shiny is merely by heart. Or remembering an unhealthy amount of world lore and characters from the Fallout games. I haven't really been in the business of playing certain games to death and learning all the in's and outs of the game. Either because I have such a huge back log, or spending that much time with anything that isn't a new Fallout game will eventually make me lose steam with it. As much as I loved Skyrim I eventually petered out on it and left a ton of stuff undone, I keep meaning to go back to that game.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Silent Hill 2 last summer and I think that'll stay in rotation as my "favorite game" a while

aerobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been a while since I've really reevaluated my favorite games, but the last game would probably be Portal 2. It's one of those games where I can think back and think, "oh man, that part was awesome", for basically every part of the game. Before that, it would probably be TF2, put so much time into that game in the past.

Meteorbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sniper Elite:Nazi Zombie Army2. I bought a controller at blmall.com to enjoy it. Just kill zombies!

stinger061

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has to be The Last of Us. I think my favourite game has only moved a few times over my gaming life. From Final Fantasy VIII to FFX and Kingdom Hearts it took Uncharted 2 to take over in the PS3 era. It sat unchallenged until The Last of Us came around and I can't see that moving any time soon.

emoney244

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yakuza 4

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have to say that DOTA 2 recently overtook my spot as my favorite game. I can always have a pretty good time with it.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

The Last of Us and I can't imagine a scenario in which it isn't one of the very best games I've played. Before that, I'd have to say the original Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite in 2013.

Literally this.

predator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2007 - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Probably Dark Souls 2. I enjoy the series as a wgole and it didn't rub me the wrong way at all. Definitely my favorite game of last year. It's definitely a game I would play long after its initial release.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm. The game in my top spot has been Fallout 3 but I haven't really thought about it. I think it may be Hotline Mimi now.

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just about anything on the PC that I didn't have access to while gaming on consoles, switched over about a year ago and wow, what an eye opener it's been.

ARMA 3, Red Orchestra 2, Insurgency, IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad, anything with at least a bit of a sim slant to it, Total War Rome 2.

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

My favourite game was Chrono Trigger for well over a decade, but I had to give it to Persona 4 when I played it in 2009. That was the last time a new game reigned as my favourite game.

Can't remember what was my favourite before Chrono Trigger though (was too young). Maybe Super Mario RPG, Super Mario 64, or Rock N' Roll Racing?

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

26th of June.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Diablo 2 has been my favorite for a while now, but Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect 1 and 2, Skyrim, The Last of Us, and Dark Souls came close last gen.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deus Ex. It's all been downhill for gaming since then.

Mathematics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Control 2.

I am old.

Twiggy199

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3 and New Vegas then Dark souls, my list could go back as far as Counter Strike with loads in between.

katimanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whenever I play great games I always come out of them thinking they are my new favorite, it happens a lot when playing telltale games. Happened to me when playing Mass Effect 2, The Last Of Us, Binding of Isaac: rebirth, Spelunky and GTA V. But, then I go play Super Mario World again and remember why I like it the best, it makes all mario games before it feel like sluggish garbage and makes the 3d ones seem not as tight (especially mario 64)

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Metal Gear Solid 3 blew me away.

Dark souls is the newest entry to my most favourite games list.

Spelunky was the perfect game to play while listening to podcasts.

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first Mass Effect. Probably.

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

100% State of Decay, I bought it long after its release during a Steam sale and honestly I've just been chasing a hope of a similar game.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last of Us (2013) definitely cracks my top 5. The others? The original Metal Gear Solid (PS1) and the Legend of Zelda (NES), and Warcraft 3 (PC) all have to make it. Fifth spot is up for grabs..... Maybe Dark Souls 2 (2014)? Other contenders would be Skyrim, Fallout 3, San Andreas, and Super Mario 3.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By bluefish
<3
<3

It's not "MY FAVORITE" definitively but it's right there with them.

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Last year I played a couple of games that ended up making it on my Favorite Games Of All Time (FGOAT) list. They were: Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door and Earthbound. I am so glad I finally played them.

Before them, the most recent games to do that were probably Mass Effect 2 and Skyrim - like a lot of other people said.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#140  Edited By Corevi

No clue. I've said Kirby Super Star is the best game ever but that's at least partially for nostalgic reasons. Probably a Clover/Platinum game but no clue which one. God Hand, Vanquish and Metal Gear Rising are all pretty much equal for completely different and yet the same reasons.

Shadow of the Colossus, Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2 and Persona 4 are all top 10 as well.

Valhallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Souls. It had been awhile since I had fallen for a game that hard. Great feeling

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if I can name a favourite, but playing Dragon Age: Origins last year I can say it's been added to the rotation of games I say whenever someone asks me what my favourite is.

geardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ocarina in '98. I don't think I'll ever crown a new favorite. That's the power of nostalgia I guess.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fez

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think the last game to take the spot as my favourite of all time would be Shadow of the Colossus, taking it from Ocarina of Time? It's kind of hard to really choose a favourite of all time, really.