Where the hell do "analysts" get their info.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By JCGamer

http://kotaku.com/5168910/sony-we-wont-drop-blu+ray-for-the-ps3

Basically it says that an analyst, Mike Hickey, made a report this past Feb about Sony thinking of reducing the price of the PS3 by removing the Blu-ray out of the device.  Sony has responded that Blu-ray is the backbone of the system and is here to stay.  My question is, where the hell are these "analysts" getting their info--because this one seems totally illogical.  As anyone with eh PS3 knows, the damn games are Blu-ray disks.  It's like saying Microsoft is trying to save money by eliminating the DVD drive.  Perhaps this Hickey dude was thinking that Sony would remove the Blu-ray movie PLAYBACK on the device the lower costs--not sure about all the licensing stuff the Blu-ray group has, but if it's anything like the DVD one, by now allowing playback, you could save some cash (thus for the original XBOX, you had to get the remote to get DVD playback)--but that's not the point. 

It seems like everyday, we hear some analyst making some claim, and most of the time, it is totally wrong.  Where do these dudes get their info?  Are these guys actually talking to people or pulling crap out of their asses?  I mean Michael Pachter, who is freaking everywhere, seems to be making crap up as well--didn't he say recently we're supposed to get a new GTA game this year (that's not DLC?).  I just don't know why people takes these dudes seriously, when they are wrong so many times.  The problem with these analysts and I suppose, other rumors in this internet age--is that there are real consequences for  the all this BS.  I think Apple is the easiest example of analysts making up BS that end-up hurting the company.  Before any big Apple event, there are HUGE rumors that the next i/phone/pod/mac/book will be announced.  Some rumors coming from rumor sites like, well macrumors.com...but others come from analysts.  So the issue is that we're now all hyped and jazzed about these new things and then the conference happens, and boom--no huge announcement, stock prices drops, people loose job.  I mean seriously.   What the hell.  

So I guess it just all boils down to the questions, can we take any "analysts" predictions seriously?  I for one would take the random rumors from quarterman (RIP EGM), Giantbomb or Kokaku before I would believe an analyst.
JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JCGamer

http://kotaku.com/5168910/sony-we-wont-drop-blu+ray-for-the-ps3

Basically it says that an analyst, Mike Hickey, made a report this past Feb about Sony thinking of reducing the price of the PS3 by removing the Blu-ray out of the device.  Sony has responded that Blu-ray is the backbone of the system and is here to stay.  My question is, where the hell are these "analysts" getting their info--because this one seems totally illogical.  As anyone with eh PS3 knows, the damn games are Blu-ray disks.  It's like saying Microsoft is trying to save money by eliminating the DVD drive.  Perhaps this Hickey dude was thinking that Sony would remove the Blu-ray movie PLAYBACK on the device the lower costs--not sure about all the licensing stuff the Blu-ray group has, but if it's anything like the DVD one, by now allowing playback, you could save some cash (thus for the original XBOX, you had to get the remote to get DVD playback)--but that's not the point. 

It seems like everyday, we hear some analyst making some claim, and most of the time, it is totally wrong.  Where do these dudes get their info?  Are these guys actually talking to people or pulling crap out of their asses?  I mean Michael Pachter, who is freaking everywhere, seems to be making crap up as well--didn't he say recently we're supposed to get a new GTA game this year (that's not DLC?).  I just don't know why people takes these dudes seriously, when they are wrong so many times.  The problem with these analysts and I suppose, other rumors in this internet age--is that there are real consequences for  the all this BS.  I think Apple is the easiest example of analysts making up BS that end-up hurting the company.  Before any big Apple event, there are HUGE rumors that the next i/phone/pod/mac/book will be announced.  Some rumors coming from rumor sites like, well macrumors.com...but others come from analysts.  So the issue is that we're now all hyped and jazzed about these new things and then the conference happens, and boom--no huge announcement, stock prices drops, people loose job.  I mean seriously.   What the hell.  

So I guess it just all boils down to the questions, can we take any "analysts" predictions seriously?  I for one would take the random rumors from quarterman (RIP EGM), Giantbomb or Kokaku before I would believe an analyst.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

Hickey wasn't reporting any facts, he was just stating his opinions, as malformed and completely illogical as they might be.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By TheGreatGuero

From their ASS! Why do you think they're called analysts?

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

They just make it up as they go along. Being an analyst would a lot like being a conspiracy theorist.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By BiG_Weasel

They're like consultants. They're paid to make up stuff.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Captain_Fookup

From system wars.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

He went to school for a long time and worked his way up... good for him. I don't have a PS3 and I don't have an HDTV, but my nephew does on both accounts. I just saw Wall-E on Blu-ray, wow... awesome. I need to get me some of that. PS3 should not change, I should.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By Willy105

Analysis PREDICT, based on past occurrences.

They are never facts. Yet.
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By StaticFalconar

analyst are only as good as their predictions are. Make too many wrong predictions and nobody is paying you to be an analyst anymore. They do research past looking shit up on google and actually call people and such for info.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JoelTGM

Some are really stupid... but there's still good analysts out there that are useful.

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#11  Edited By Eder
TheGreatGuero said:
"From their ASS! Why do you think they're called analysts?"
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA God, I know it's totaly retarded but man this made me laugh so hard