which game you preordered were you most disappointed by?

• 129 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Killzone 3. As a huge fan of Killzone 2, I was very disappointed.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Catarrhal

Skyrim (PS3 version). I'm not one to sell my games (my collection spans over two decades), but I came very close with this one; ultimately, I kept it only to serve as a painful reminder to never buy a Bethesda title ever again.

cutyoface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I have never pre-ordered a game in my life.

Laiv162560asse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conzed92 said:

Hitman: Absolution.

I actually felt offended. I cannot get over how the developers deviated from their original set-up for the Hitman games. Do not get me wrong, a little improvement never hurt anybody, but the way that Hitman: Absolution turned into a suit-n-tie version of Splinter Cell just left me feeling cheated and resentful (okay, maybe a strong word). I pre-ordered the game of Steam, did not think that I could cancel it. Wish I had been able to do so.

That is properly the only game I regret having pre-ordered. Also pre-ordered Fallout New Vegas, Company of Heroes 2, Metal Gear Solid 4 and a ton of other games. Loved every single one of them!

Hitman: Absolution is my choice too but I came at it from a slightly different angle.

I had seen and heard enough before release that my expectations had been knocked right down to earth, plus my preorder was with GMG so could have been cancelled easily enough. However preordering is something I don't do often and I'd bought a lot of great games last year, so I decided I was allowed one gamble. I had a lot of misgivings about the previews and promo material, but I figured it would at the very least be a passable, throwaway time-killer of a game due to the basic Hitman gameplay mechanics. I really didn't expect it to be an utter chore and frustration to play, which is what at least 80% of the game was for me. It somehow failed to fulfil my already low expectations, in a way that upset me. 'Resentful' is easily a suitable word for how I felt about my Hitman preorder.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

Assassin's Creed III. Because of that game, I'll probably never preorder anything again, with the exception of Call of Duty because of the amount of people I know who play it.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Oh boy.... I don't even remember all the games I've preordered....

• First comes to mind is Fable 2 cause I hated that fucking game, THE GUY JUST SHOOTS HIM AT THE END IF YOU DON'T SHOOT HIM FIRST!!! THAT IS FUCKING STUPID AS HELL!!!
  • I regretted Red Dead Redemption at first, just didn't grab me so I sold it back, then later I decided to give it another chance and it is a fantastic game...just a lot of riding around unfortunately, needs a better fast travel
  • Not that I hated the game but saving dishonored as the one game I could get day one during the fall was a mistake, game isn't bad but it isn't great, regret paying full price
Joe_Wildheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assassin's Creed III, I have never been bored playing a game before, but oh my days was it tough to get through the campaign. It was a chore at times, and was so disappointed after all the hype.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#58  Edited By StarvingGamer

DMC2

Nergrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre ordered Brink....and convinced a friend to get it.
Learned the lesson the hard way.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Borderlands 2 or AC3. I enjoyed both, but was also seriously disappointed.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Probably Dragon Age 2. I liked it but it was still incredible disappointing.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

Street Fighter x Tekken was a total mess when it came out.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah, dragonage 2.

i remember staying up till midnight when it unlocked on steam. i was excited as hell for that.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LA Noire is the last one I can think of. I don't pre-order a lot of games.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By NegativeCero

I pretty much never preorder anything, but I would say Final Fantasy XII. Even though I eventually came to like it, its new MMO-like gameplay turned me off at first.

Edit: Actually people saying Dragon Age 2 reminded me that I totally preordered that too. Must've blocked it out or something.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I pre-ordered Dragon Age 2 because I knew I was going to play it anyways and I figured it was better than actually having to pay for Sebastian. Needless to say... Dragon Age 2 is a bad game that I happen to like.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#67  Edited By pyromagnestir

The Last Guardian. :(

Of the ones that have actually been released I suppose it would have to be Mass Effect 3.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#68 sgtsphynx  Moderator
Conzed92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@niko555 said:

Pre ordered Brink....and convinced a friend to get it.

Learned the lesson the hard way.

Man... Kinda like getting kicked in the face by a horse, right?

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

Socom 4.

I was a huge Socom Fan since the beginning of the series, but wow, Socom 4 held very little of what made the original 2 games special.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Uhhh.... Darksider 2? Not saying it was a bad game, just not the game I wanted. I still enjoyed it though and it sucks we're never going to get another.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

If were strictly talking pre-orders then its Ninja Gaiden 3. Although I didn't hate the game it was just extremely mediocre.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Example1013

Diablo 3 is the only time I think I've regretted spending full price on a game. Definitely a decent game, and I got good mileage out of it, but given that the only other game I've bought on-release full-price in the last 2 years is Skyrim, and given that I've got 271 hours in Skyrim, I don't think it was that worth it. I honestly don't think I'll be able to play a game with that art style again, because even watching Path of Exile/Torchlight 2 is giving me PTSD-induced flashbacks.

hiono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_xp said:

BRINK.

same i even went to the midnight launch. the gameplay vids looked so good.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#75  Edited By Daveyo520
panvixyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Fable 3.

Whadda kick in the pants.

h8raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By h8raid

Red Orchestra 2 - over time it has evolved into a decent game but I was really stoked about it pre-release. It's an improvement over RO1 but not a dramatic improvement.

CIV 5 - ugh.... Even with all of the add-on DLC BTS is a much better game.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Karl_Boss

I've only pre-ordered 3 games: Halo 2, Halo: CE Anniversary, and Battlefield 3.....I was not disappointed with any of them.

jap_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assassin's Creed 3 was the last game I pre-ordered and I didn't enjoy it at all. I've learned my lesson and won't be pre-ordering any more games.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#80  Edited By ArtisanBreads

The only game I have ever preordered was the new XCOM. I knew I wanted it and I wanted to customize my dudes! I also pre-ordered 2 days before release.

Otherwise I have entirely avoided it because it's a shitty practice and I have never had any difficulties finding a game on release day.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age 2. No other even came close.

seannao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brink.

I liked Quake Wars. I liked Enemy Territory and I hated Brink ,and I doubt Dirty Bomb is going to be any better.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 3, Modern Warfare 2

JohnDudebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I preordered Need For Speed: Most Wanted purely on the strength of the Criterion name and wound up not liking it at all. That's the game that's made me stop preordering.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By gogosox82

Probably Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition for the PC. Man, was that disappointing. The game was still great but it looked like ass and ran like ass. I had to download the Durante mods to fix it so that it would run good. Its sort of weird to be disappointed by a game you've put over 200 hours into but it happened. I don't think I've ever preordered anything else. I just figured that i can get the game either through amazon or going into a brink and mortar and buying it.

Oh wait i just remembered preordered uncharted 2 and 3. But i wasn't disappointed by those games, they were great.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

Oblivion. Not because it was a bad game but it didn't reach my expectations for the continuation of Morrowind. Other preorders were ok because I started to limit my hopes about this gen games.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None. I have only pre-ordered very few games and knew what I was getting with each.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#89 gamer_152  Moderator

I basically never pre-order games. I don't find a huge advantage to it, and I don't like to be locked into a purchase when I have little idea of what the quality of the final game will actually be.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Aetheldod

Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2 ... why did I even purchased that I have no clue :/ (ok I do I had the idea that they would make more open levels etc ... boy how stupid was I)

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hitman Ab-Solution comes to mind as the most recent one...just should've waited for them reviews, you idiot! Duke Nukem Forever before that, I think. But besides those, I don't think there has been that many pre-ordered games to dissapoint me.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragon Age 2. After experiencing some of the brilliant things in DA:O, I couldn't have been more excited for DA2 and BOY WAS I BUMMED when I realized how uninteresting and insignificant the story felt in comparison to Origins and how cookie-cutter the dungeons were and...thinking about it makes me sad.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never burned yet. I only pre-order games that are discounted, and I would have been comfortable buying even if they were not universally liked (though I am at 4 this year, hopefully none of those suck.....Tomb Raider, Lego City, Pikmin, Rayman).

Though I agree with the sentiment that pre-ordering is bad, financially irresponsible, and encourages poor behavior on the part of developers and retailers. But hey, $15 to $30 off at launch. >.>

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By BoFooQ

Amalur was probably my worse preorder, game wasn't terrible but never really got too into it and was thinking there would be more to come, guess not.

Second worse: Uncharted 3. I really enjoyed the game but it was short and after 2-3 days I was done with it. would have been better to borrow or rent a copy.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By bluefish

Relative to my expectations by the time I actually got to playing it: Uncharted 3

ME3 is also up there. Both very good games, but disappointing games.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@captain_clayman said:

LA Noire is the last one I can think of. I don't pre-order a lot of games.

That would be my pick, and also the reason why I will never again trust Brad as a game reviewer. The insane overly positive hyperbole in that review and near complete lack of anything that could be considered actual criticism was a joke when compared to the actual experience that game provided.

This guy wrote THREE articles about how many problems there are with LA Noire, and I agree with most every point that he made. http://www.gamecritics.com/daniel-weissenberger/la-noire-has-problems

An excerpt:

Um... That's not how betting works

There are three missions on the game's Vice desk, and two of them are ruined, as mentioned before, by the newspaper-related cut-scenes that spoil all of their key plot details. The third mission, while more satisfying than the other two, is fundamentally undercut at the writing stage based on a problem at the scripting stage: The writer/director doesn't seem to understand how gambling works, at all.

This segment, "The Set-Up", is based around the same premise as the Bruce Willis segment from the film Pulp Fiction—a man agrees to throw a fight, then bets on himself, wins the fight, and tries to escape with the money. Complications ensue when his moll tries to run out with the money, and his corrupt manager tries to murder him. Further complications come from the fact that seemingly everyone in town knew about this fix, and bet on the other guy—including one of the cops now trying to track him down!

Nothing wrong with that plot, right? Well, not in theory, but the way it's written, the story makes no logical sense. Why? Because the boxer being asked to throw the fight was not heavily favored to win it.

For educational purposes, allow me to present a brief clip from my favourite movie—

*video removed due to copyright issue*

That's the key element to learn from this clip—you only ever pay the favorite to throw a fight, because that's the only way to get a decent return. If I were to bet thirty dollars on the favorite in John Polito's example and he wins, I'd only walk away with forty (my thirty back, plus the ten I won in the bet). While the underdog pays out 3-1, the favorite is 1-3, the "short money" of the clip. So if I bet on the 3-1 underdog, and that guy wins, I'm in for one hell of a payday—120 dollars.

Multiply that a few times, and suddenly the appeal of fixing a fight becomes obvious.

So what's wrong with L.A. Noire's version of this classic tale? The man being paid to throw the fight isn't the favourite. He's the underdog. The boxer is referred to as a bum, a never-was, the kind of guy who other boxers get a fight with just to polish up their records a little. Here are the odds on him the day of the fight:

That averages out to about 20:1. Which is just crazy, as boxing odds go, but let's move on—why would anyone pay this man to lose the fight? The gambling community is already as sure as they can possibly be that he's going to lose it. They're essentially begging people to bet on him by offering odds like that. Really, he's basically the ideal candidate for the kind of upset victory that a guy looking to fix a fight would want.

Why am I focusing so much on this error? Well, not just because it's egregious, and the kind of thing you'd think the writer/director ought to know if he's going to be writing about the seedy underbelly of American crime, but rather because it makes all the people fussing over the fight look patently ridiculous. Why do they care so much about this fight if they stand to make essentially no money off of it?

Roy Earle, Cole's corrupt partner spends the entire mission bitching about all the money that the fleeing boxer has cost him—and while it's true that Roy lost the fifty dollars that he bet, how much did he stand to win if the fight had gone as planned?

That's right—Roy Earle is getting all kinds of upset over two dollars and fifty cents.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@h8raid said:

Red Orchestra 2 - over time it has evolved into a decent game but I was really stoked about it pre-release. It's an improvement over RO1 but not a dramatic improvement.

CIV 5 - ugh.... Even with all of the add-on DLC BTS is a much better game.

honestly, the best part about me being disappointed in civ 5 is I didn't even like civ 4

Herman30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#99  Edited By Herman30

Stronghold 3 for me, what a pile of garbage

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

Not only did I buy the collector's edition, but it was also the whole reason I bought a 360 day one.