• 58 results
Posted by NTM (7334 posts) 1 year, 21 days ago

Poll: Which Troy Baker character did you like more? (307 votes)

Joel (The Last of Us). 45%
Booker Dewitt (Bioshock Infinite). 15%
Neither, I disliked both characters. 2%
I liked them both equally. 10%
I haven't played either of those games, so I wouldn't know. 7%
I've only played one of those games, so I can't necessarily judge. 21%

I was just wondering. It seems like there's more focus on Ellie and Elizabeth, and I guess rightly so, but that brought me to this question. I hope it hasn't been asked on here before, I didn't see that it was.

#1 Edited by BIGJEFFREY (4917 posts) -

Kanji

Booker

#2 Edited by Yummylee (21487 posts) -

I think Joel's a great character, while he's perhaps not as inherently likeable as Booker--speaking for the protagonist Booker of course--and he gets my vote between those two.

Joel was also the character that asked for a lot more out of Baker, so overall I'd say it's a much more impressive performance at that.

#3 Posted by SeanFoster (866 posts) -

Joel is my favorite video game protagonist since John Marston.

#4 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
#5 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Kanji is the correct answer.

#6 Posted by Malarkain (103 posts) -

Yuri Lowell

But I guess Booker will have to do for this poll.

#7 Edited by MEATBALL (3183 posts) -

Booker is likeable, I think Joel is a more interesting character.

#8 Posted by Kear (109 posts) -

I love both of the games, but Joel wins easily. Joel is one of the best characters ever presented in the games we call video. It makes me happy to see some Kanji love in this thread.

#9 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2504 posts) -

Joel is, I believe, the best performance Troy has ever delivered - though I'd be hard pressed to say I like him more than Kanji Tatsumi (because I'm frankly a persona 4 fanboy).

Also Yuri Lowell was awesome in Tales of Vesperia.

#10 Posted by CaptainTightPants (2834 posts) -

Joel, or Slightly More Serious Kanji as I like to call him.

#11 Posted by wemibelec90 (1621 posts) -

Joel was more interesting both as a character and how it was acted by Troy Baker. It didn't sound at all like his usual voices, so I was pleased to hear him do something different.

#12 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1560 posts) -

Kanji

#13 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

Joel because he didn't sound like himself at all. Plus that's a fantastically underplayed performance. He nails it.

#14 Posted by Angouri (231 posts) -

Vincent?!

Anything but Snow.

#15 Edited by Zeik (2358 posts) -

Kanji!

Followed by Joel. Then Booker.

#16 Posted by Sgtpierceface (618 posts) -

I picked both, but then I remembered Joel is way better.

#17 Edited by joshth (504 posts) -

Yuri Lowell

Good. This is all I came here to add. Also I love Troy baker so much. Also get bent.

#18 Edited by Aegon (5484 posts) -

@selfconfessedcynic said:

Also Yuri Lowell was awesome in Tales of Vesperia.

The crazy part about Yuri is that he was supposedly named after Yuri Lowenthal who played the previous Tales game protagonist (Luke). Never heard of another case like that, haha.

Actually, here's Yuri himself telling the tale...wait, didn't mean to do that.

#19 Edited by Captain_Felafel (1565 posts) -

Booker and Joel can get bent!

But no, really, if I have to choose, I'll go with Joel; Baker's performance in TLoU is so convincing and is so unlike anything I've experienced in a game before it that it's kind of in a league of its own.

#20 Posted by Yummylee (21487 posts) -

Yuri Lowell

Man, getting into Vesperia again has only made me dislike the Tales of Graces F cast even more. To go from someone like Yuri to fucking Asbel... that's a pretty steep drop. Really hoping Xillia can deliver on a less intolerable cast.

But yeah, his Yuri performance gives you a helluva lot of Troy Baker goodness, even if he sounds kinda bored during a fair bit of it.

#21 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Saint's Row The Third male voice 1

#22 Posted by gaminghooligan (1435 posts) -
#23 Posted by Bocam (3712 posts) -

@yummylee said:

@malarkain said:

Yuri Lowell

Man, getting into Vesperia again has only made me dislike the Tales of Graces F cast even more. To go from someone like Yuri to fucking Asbel... that's a pretty steep drop. Really hoping Xillia can deliver on a less intolerable cast.

But yeah, his Yuri performance gives you a helluva lot of Troy Baker goodness, even if he sounds kinda bored during a fair bit of it.

You'll like Xillia's cast if you give them time. But I can say Jude's not like Asbel

#24 Posted by selfconfessedcynic (2504 posts) -

@aegon: @bocam:

Goddamn it, Tales of Xillia is sitting on my desk right now. Need to get to it.

FUUUUUUUUUUU-

Also, interesting tidbit on Yuri. Hopefully characters in Xillia are as cool as Vesperia.

#25 Posted by Yummylee (21487 posts) -

@bocam: Well, Jude's english VA appears to be Sam Riegel, so that's already a pretty big improvement.

Does Xillia continue the tradition of featuring a magic swordsman character ala Kratos/Zelos/Richard/Flynn? The character with all of the demon fangs and lightning blades ect. Kratos in particular was always my favourite character to play as in Symphonia.

#26 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Excalibur

#27 Posted by TechnoSyndrome (838 posts) -

Kanji. Second place goes to Charlie in Binary Domain.

#28 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

I have some serious story issues with Bioshock Infinite (mostly the big dumb ending) that i wont get into here, but it ruins alot of the game for me so it ruins Booker for me as well.

Joel however is awesome, well he's not really a "good person" but he's an awesome character. And The Last of US's ending was actually really good (unlike bioshock infinite's AWFUL ending) (( and yes i understood it perfectly))

seriously. Why did she undo several universes timelines just cus SHE had a bad life, thats effectively killing BILLIONS of people. Also, why did she kill "player booker"? He wasn't going to become comstock. What a shitshow. Undoing timelines shouldn't be done just because of a personal reason. It's genocide afterall. Seriously, fuck elizibeth, most selfish character EVER.

#29 Edited by Bocam (3712 posts) -

@yummylee: Technically Milla's the magic swordsman.

#30 Posted by Castiel (2570 posts) -

Well none of them are likeable characters per se. That said I did find both Booker DeWitt and Joel interesting and while some people see Joel as bad guy, which I do not agree with, I could to a certain degree understand why Joel did what he did.

Overall I thought TLoU was a more complete experience where story, characters and gameplay fit together to create something special. Despite of its brutality TLoU was still a more rewarding game to play, I was never frustrated with the controls or the act of playing the game. Infinite had a better setting and story than gameplay.

In the end I found Joel and Ellie a little more interesting than Booker and Elizabeth.

#31 Edited by TruthTellah (8754 posts) -

This poll pisses me off!!

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj324/vexensteele/pic1.gif

#32 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

Joel and Booker are basically the exact same character. Both of those games coming out at the same time really highlights how narrow characterization in videogames is.

I think Joel is the better character simply by virtue of having more lines.

#33 Edited by ToTheNines (710 posts) -

GET BENT! Kanji. But in this case, I like Joel.

#34 Posted by Soap (3577 posts) -

Joel in that poll (ha rhymes!)

But either Kanji or Saints Row 3 guy if I had to choose...

#35 Edited by I_Stay_Puft (3182 posts) -

Anime Otaku Troy Baker is my favorite.

Time to blend in to the crowd.

#36 Posted by Vextroid (1387 posts) -

Kanji Tatsumi!

#37 Edited by Twinsun (471 posts) -

Joel by far. Booker never really did anything for me.

#38 Posted by Cirdain (3073 posts) -

@taku128 said:

Kanji. Second place goes to Charlie in Binary Domain.

Binary Domain <3

#39 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

I only played Infinite.

#40 Edited by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

Where's the option for disliking both because they both range from bad to terrible on the human decency scale?

Unless we're strictly talking performance I guess, in which case it's Joel. A little unfair cause he's more expressive by the default of getting to see his face react to stuff in the game.

#41 Posted by jimmyfenix (3852 posts) -

Everything he does is pretty great. Maybe except Jake from RE6. Also the only reason i liked FF13 is because he played snow and snow is awesome.

#42 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5402 posts) -

Booker was okay, Joel was great, Kanji was the Best.

#43 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1238 posts) -

Out of those two, he did a better job with Joel....But his greatest work was Kanji. I mean looking at my fucking profile picture. Seriously...

#44 Posted by Superkenon (1414 posts) -

#45 Posted by firecracker22 (536 posts) -

I'm personally looking forward to him playing a young Mark Hamill playing a young Joker.

#46 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

Also the only reason i liked FF13 is because he played snow and snow is awesome.

Playing FF13 right now and Snow is possibly the worst character in the game. Not Troy Baker's fault but the writing and translation for that character in particular is just awful.

I am developing a suspicion that the reason that people like Lightning is that she doesn't say much.

#47 Posted by myketuna (1678 posts) -

Booker is ok, but kind of dumb. Joel seems like a real person.

#48 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Kanji

#49 Edited by believer258 (11785 posts) -

If we're going to mention things not in the poll, well, then let's get completely out of video games and mention November 11 of Darker Than Black.

Unfortunately, most of what the anime community has uploaded to Youtube is either subs (not what I'm looking for) or AMV's (ugh), so the only video I could really find was this which makes no sense out of context and really doesn't do anything for the character.

EDIT: Also, all I've played is Bioshock Infinite and his performance is very good there as well.

#50 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1761 posts) -

@rebgav said:

I am developing a suspicion that the reason that people like Lightning is that she doesn't say much.

That and she punches Snow a bunch.

I honestly haven't cared for any of Troy Baker's stuff outside on Kanji. I really didn't like him as Booker but I can't comment on The Last of Us having not played it.