Who will win the console war?

realkilla789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By realkilla789

I think Nintendo will stay on top. Even though they don't care about the hardcore anymore. They can pull casual gamers out their butt. Who do you guys think will win the console war?

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Jensonb

Nintendo will win. Despite what analysts will tell you, simple business knowledge proves that. The Wii has broader appeal, ergo more customers (See: DS, PlayStation 1). Historically, the early leader always wins (See: NES, PlayStation 1, PlayStation2).

The fight is between Sony and Microsoft. Microsoft has a fair lead, but Sony has the momentum and the most potential for growth of the pair - even more pronounced now as sales of the XBOX are beginning to level off relative to, say, last year and 2006. Microsoft can still bet Sony, making the 7th Gneration a reverse of the 6th, but it'll take some work - that does not include turning the 360 into the Wii Mattrick, that will alienate your base and the PS3 is already threatening to beat you as is.

Sony doesn't need to do much they haven't already announced to maintain their non-gamer (Complete non-gamers. Film buffs who want the Blu-Ray for example) and core gamer base. If they do, and maybe expand their market a bit, they can limit the damage and make the 7th Gneration a 3-Way swing.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok
Jensonb said:
"Nintendo will win. Despite what analysts will tell you, simple business knowledge proves that. The Wii has broader appeal, ergo more customers (See: DS, PlayStation 1). Historically, the early leader always wins (See: NES, PlayStation 1, PlayStation2).

The fight is between Sony and Microsoft. Microsoft has a fair lead, but Sony has the momentum and the most potential for growth of the pair - even more pronounced now as sales of the XBOX are beginning to level off relative to, say, last year and 2006. Microsoft can still bet Sony, making the 7th Gneration a reverse of the 6th, but it'll take some work - that does not include turning the 360 into the Wii Mattrick, that will alienate your base and the PS3 is already threatening to beat you as is.

Sony doesn't need to do much they haven't already announced to maintain their non-gamer (Complete non-gamers. Film buffs who want the Blu-Ray for example) and core gamer base. If they do, and maybe expand their market a bit, they can limit the damage and make the 7th Gneration a 3-Way swing.
"
Agreed.
Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Scorched

PC!!! Woooo
yeah, I wish
more realistically speaking probably Nintendo even though I don't like how they will win it

Orgazmorater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By Orgazmorater

i watched history of video games today. and i have to say it all dosent matter, microsoft isnt about winning the console war. they are about defeating playstation because playstation is taking away from the sales of pc's. and really they are completely doing that along with losing 4billion dollars since the original xbox. making xbox's, no revenue watsoever.

Iffy350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Iffy350

Personal Computer as always. Snapshots do not work. They need a console that can be upgraded with new parts like a PC but cheaper. That way you wouldn't be force to buy the next big ugly Sony or Microsoft console released.

Txheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Txheat

no one we all lose.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By breadfan

The Gizmondo is gonna make a come back!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if Nintendo comes on top in terms of sales, I wouldn't call them the winner. Its between PS3 and 360 now, since Nintendo is doing their own shit, with their toys and whatnot.

I think PS3 will win, PS3 will be battling the Xbox 720 even, as well as the next Wii (Wii HD or something). So yeah, PS3; its obvious.

spragels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By spragels

we will all lose :(

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Systech
Scorched said:
"PC!!! Woooo
yeah, I wish
more realistically speaking probably Nintendo even though I don't like how they will win it
"
Considering the PC isn't a console, I think that it already won. lol.
sdodd02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sdodd02

nintendo

Logaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Logaman

Nintendo. Most likely.

Nobility

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nobility

Nintendo, with their reputation and innovation, people are flocking to the Wii.  And it's all because of that untapped market they've managed to convince that gaming is for them.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By twenty0ne

It's between Nintendo and Microsoft.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dalai

Nintendo has this one wrapped up saleswise... but if you add games into the mix, it's too early to tell.  The 360 has that deep lineup of quality games and the PS3 is finally coming into its own, but Nintendo is being Nintendo and doing what they do best... making Nintendo games.

Kaido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Kaido

I hate to lose face with some of the Nintendo delegates so early on the forum's genesis, but with Nintendo's broad appeal with non-gamers - and taking into consideration the latest e3 Press Conference confirms they're heading in this direction - It's possible 'Hardcore' gamers (Which, I'm operating under the impression most of you are) might get the cold shoulder in the next generation of gaming, with Sony and Microsoft following suite.

Well, now you have a natural pessimist's view.

Avatar image for 7hesuperin7enden7
7hesuperin7enden7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

microsoft and us.

Why_So_Serious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By Why_So_Serious

I would say Nintendo due to the amount of kids out there. Xbox in a close 2nd though. They have so many new updates and great new games coming out its hard to ignore them. Sony has been a disappointment for me. Not enough AAA games or flatout descent games.

nat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nat

The nazi's need a console.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Omega

If Nintendo wins we all lose. By "we" I mean people who love a good game. You can kiss games like psychonauts and shadow of the colossus goodbye. If nintendo proves to microsoft and sony that casual games can make a killing, thats all that will be made. We'll be lost in a sea of minesweeper, bejeweled and games of similar shallowness. No company will take a chance on anything and the casual players will never know what their missing. Because They never played Zelda, or Silent Hill. So at that point we either have to suck it up and try to enjoy Pizza Maker 4: Now with more toppings! or pull some homebrew genious. And of course stop ignoring those little known but highly recommended slices of awesomness out there.

...I think I'm gonna go lie down now.

Edit: one last thing. Those classic franchises we so love will live on. But they will be dumbed down severely. So you'll see metroid, half-life, etc. get turned into god awful party games, and mini-game collections or something similar.  

khit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By khit
Omega said:
"If Nintendo wins we all lose. By "we" I mean people who love a good game. You can kiss games like psychonauts and shadow of the colossus goodbye. If nintendo proves to microsoft and sony that casual games can make a killing, thats all that will be made. We'll be lost in a sea of minesweeper, bejeweled and games of similar shallowness. No company will take a chance on anything and the casual players will never know what their missing. Because They never played Zelda, or Silent Hill. So at that point we either have to suck it up and try to enjoy Pizza Maker 4: Now with more toppings! or pull some homebrew genious. And of course stop ignoring those little known but highly recommended slices of awesomness out there.

"

QFT
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jensonb
Br3adfan said:
"The Gizmondo is gonna make a come back!"

You can laugh, but they're making a new one.

And I assure you, it will suck. But I know those people, they're going to rave over it. I'd tell them to move on, but it's kinda cute that they never accepted PSP and DS were better
steve316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By steve316

its going to be nintendo or microsoft, sony could win if they lower their price

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3f096aee80a
deactivated-5b3f096aee80a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why_So_Serious said:
"I would say Nintendo due to the amount of kids out there. Xbox in a close 2nd though. They have so many new updates and great new games coming out its hard to ignore them. Sony has been a disappointment for me. Not enough AAA games or flatout descent games."

Are you serious? Not enough AAA or even decent games? WOW.

Omega said:
"If Nintendo wins we all lose. By "we" I mean people who love a good game. You can kiss games like psychonauts and shadow of the colossus goodbye. If nintendo proves to microsoft and sony that casual games can make a killing, thats all that will be made. We'll be lost in a sea of minesweeper, bejeweled and games of similar shallowness. No company will take a chance on anything and the casual players will never know what their missing. Because They never played Zelda, or Silent Hill. So at that point we either have to suck it up and try to enjoy Pizza Maker 4: Now with more toppings! or pull some homebrew genious. And of course stop ignoring those little known but highly recommended slices of awesomness out there.

"

I agree, totally.

So far Sony seems the only one not going down the path of casual gaming, well not as much as the other two anyways. And they sure as hell can, and can try, with stuff like Buzz ans SingStar, they could envest heavily in more titles like that and make big bucks; but they dont.
realkilla789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By realkilla789
steve316 said:
"its going to be nintendo or microsoft, sony could win if they lower their price
"
i agree. The ps3 was expensive when it came out and it is still expensive now compared to its competitors.
Djrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Djrocks

Sony's PlayStation 3 looks like it might be in for the next console race so as of now, I think Nintendo is going to win this year.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PureRok
Omega said:

Edit: one last thing. Those classic franchises we so love will live on. But they will be dumbed down severely. So you'll see metroid, half-life, etc. get turned into god awful party games, and mini-game collections or something similar.  

"
I disagree. Console developers don't tell game developers what to make. So no matter which console wins game developers are going to make whatever games they enjoy making (some will make games that make money; it is a business after all). I don't think that if Nintendo wins out that all of the less casual games will go away. You speak as though console developers also develop the games, which is not the case.
Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jensonb
Sentry said:
"Why_So_Serious said:
"I would say Nintendo due to the amount of kids out there. Xbox in a close 2nd though. They have so many new updates and great new games coming out its hard to ignore them. Sony has been a disappointment for me. Not enough AAA games or flatout descent games."

Are you serious? Not enough AAA or even decent games? WOW.

Omega said:

"

I agree, totally.

So far Sony seems the only one not going down the path of casual gaming, well not as much as the other two anyways. And they sure as hell can, and can try, with stuff like Buzz ans SingStar, they could envest heavily in more titles like that and make big bucks; but they dont."
Wrong. Populist music didn't kill niche music, populist movies didn't kill niche movies.
Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#31  Edited By Omega
PureRok said:
"Omega said:

"
I disagree. Console developers don't tell game developers what to make. So no matter which console wins game developers are going to make whatever games they enjoy making (some will make games that make money; it is a business after all). I don't think that if Nintendo wins out that all of the less casual games will go away. You speak as though console developers also develop the games which is not the case.
"
I understand that Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo don't tell developers what to make, but like you said it is a business after all and game developers need to make money to make more games. Sure there will still be hippie developers out there more interested in making a unique game, rather than maximize profits. But what you gotta realize is that if the console hardware is geared towards casual gaming, there wouldn't be any need for overly elaborate control features or graphic upgrades any deep gameplay would just be shoehorned on a system that it doesn't belong on. The point is if the first party developers go one way everyone will follow suit. You can look at the Wii as a case study. First party wii games are casual for the most part. So what does Ubisoft do? they make Raving Rabbids a party game. the developer of every tom clancy game, assassins creed, far cry etc. made a highly casual party game. When a console's hardware is set up for a certain type of game, your going to see a serious influx af that genre. got a mouse? RTS. xbox has triggers? FPS. Nintendo has few buttons and easy to understand motion control? casual.