Why do people care about Achievements/Trophies?

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#51  Edited By rjayb89

Some people want to squeeze out some more time with the game.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By MeierTheRed

Buying a game for the sole purpose to get some easy Trophies or Achievements is just pathetic.

NateDogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#53  Edited By NateDogg

Achievements gave me an incentive to play the same games over again even after completion.. just to get that 1000 or even close. I think its good they added this in.

Avatar image for psyborg0815--DEFUNCT
psyborg0815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By psyborg0815

I like achievements, because they add replay value.
The first playthrough is always to play and enjoy the game and if it's good, I will play it again to get achievements.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By toowalrus
@DuhQbnSiLo:
Well, this generation of games introduced the achievement system, and I'm playing some of the best games I've ever played, so I'm pretty sure you're wrong there. There's nothing wrong with achievement points. If you don't care, AWESOME, play the game for the game's sake, and if you like the points, EVEN BETTER, have fun getting those points, you may even be exposed to some games you wouldn't have played otherwise. If you're having fun eater way, what does it matter?
Avatar image for baconandwaffles
baconandwaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By baconandwaffles

The people who are really bothered by achievements are the people who want to like achievements and used them as a tool for comparing or bragging, but don't want to turn themselves into an achievement whore (play easy/cheap games only to get the points).   If you really don't care about achievements, them you wouldn't be bothered by people who do like them. 

I personally like achievements, they do provide some sense of accomplishment - not sure why, the sense of accomplishment should come from actually doing it, not from some arbitrary decision to give points for something.  Regardless, I won't go far out of my way to get points -a vast majority of my (meager) points come from my normal playthrough of a game.  I play games because I enjoy them, that is all.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#57  Edited By Lazyaza

I like achievements because they give me something else to do in a game, often things you didn't know could be done are learned by trying to obtain the achievement for them.  They add replay value and mini-games to the experience while also encouraging you to get better at the game which often transfers over in to multiplayer should it be available, thus improving your experience there as well.  I think it is perfectly fine to take pride in having achieved more difficult achievements, its the ones that are just grinds or stupidly easy to get that no one should give a fuck about.  

But yes the whole 'e-peen point whoring' nonsense is just plain silly.  I feel sad for people who actually go out and buy or rent bad games just for points, that's just stupid.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By spaceturtle

I fuckin' luv trophies! But I get your point that it might ruin the game itself, at least for some dudes. But I always do the first playthrough like trophies/achivements never existed. And rather focus on that on the second playthrough.

agentxricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By agentxricky

Achievements are ruining gaming?... REALLY? 

Why or how people play games is of no concern to anyone else at all. The way I play my game is of no concern to you or anyone else in this thread. It's not like If I get an achievement, it somehow deprives you of something in your game. 

People will find anything to cry about, honestly.
LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#60  Edited By LiquidSwords
@Vinchenzo said:
" @LiquidSwords: If you knew what a weeaboo even was, you'd still be wrong. But nice job failing. "
Really doubt that you fucking turd
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By Vinchenzo
@LiquidSwords said:
" @Vinchenzo said:
" @LiquidSwords: If you knew what a weeaboo even was, you'd still be wrong. But nice job failing. "
Really doubt that you fucking turd "
Sorry, but liking Japanese women and Japanese food doesn't make you a weeaboo. You are trying incredibly hard to offend me, and I don't know why. Although your continued efforts amuse me. Continue.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By iam3green

people want to get achievements.  idon't really know why people play games for achievements. if there was a great game that didn't have them i don't think a lot of people would buy it. i would still buy it. i just think that getting achievements are a waste of time to worry about.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#63  Edited By GunstarRed
@Vinchenzo said:
" @DuhQbnSiLo: Shut the fuck up. That's why. "

i like this post.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#64  Edited By Yummylee

Just acts another set of goals beside completing the games. I never aim for them to brag, trophies just add replay value to a game and nothing more for me really.
Almeida69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Almeida69

I buy games. Play them. And when im finished with the story I start doing the trophies. I try to get them all but if i cant i move to another game. U2 had a great system that when u won a trophy u win money for unlockables. I see your point and it definely confuses me why someone would buy a game just because it has easy achievementes/trophies.

CaptainMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By CaptainMax

I dont really care how many acheivments I have, but I do like getting acheivments. They are fun and add a little more replayability and also gameplay in a meta sense.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#67  Edited By Tennmuerti

Never understood the appeal of achievements myself. I just play games as games for fun, completely ignoring any and all achievements.
Any replay a game might have has to come from the game itself. If the game is good enough and/or entertaining enough I can play through it several times anyway.
Heh I replayed Xmen Origins Wolverine at least 3 times by now, because it is a fun way to let off steam.
It actually pisses me off when some games force achievements onto you and there is no way to disable them like recently DA:O(pc) does. Nothing breaks the immersion buzz like an achievement poping up on your screen: Dragonslayer! or whatever.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By FluxWaveZ

I still think that achievements are just there to display your history as a gamer.  It shows what you have played and what you have done in those games.  For that reason, I love them.

GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#69  Edited By GeneralTurkle
@Turambar said:
" @GeneralTurkle: Because playing a game for the sake of playing it due to it being a good game should be the way it is.  Playing something purely because of trophies or achievements is missing the entire point of it.  There is nothing inherently wrong with achievements or trophies as it adds an easily accessible layer to the community.  But like all things, it's being abused to hell. "
Well i am not saying that playing a game should be all about achievements\trophies.  I actually agree that it's being abused.  But the achievements add a little fun to it
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Tennmuerti
@FluxWaveZ said:
" I still think that achievements are just there to display your history as a gamer.  It shows what you have played and what you have done in those games.  For that reason, I love them. "
I find this amusing. Considering just how many games I played before anyone ever heard of achievements. So did many other people.

Not insulting you or anything. It just made me smile.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#71  Edited By sjschmidt93

They make you feel like you're achieving something. And you are, just not something that matters to anyone else or that will get you anywhere in life.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Tennmuerti said:

" @FluxWaveZ said:

" I still think that achievements are just there to display your history as a gamer.  It shows what you have played and what you have done in those games.  For that reason, I love them. "
I find this amusing. Considering just how many games I played before anyone ever heard of achievements. So did many other people.  Not insulting you or anything. It just made me smile. "
Of course I know in the past that there was no real indication of what a specific gamer played because there were no gamer profiles.  It's still the same on handhelds and the same for last gen. consoles, and I do often play PS2 games.  But I very much enjoy the fact that I can go in my friends list and see the games a friend has played, and what things that friend has done in the game.  I love that.

Edit: And I did start as a N64 gamer so I also knew a world before achievements.
Chrion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Chrion

NERD POINTS!!!
seriously though, they should be used as the money to buy content on xbox live, not cash, gaming is supposed to be fun, not stressing people that have bills out. Gaming is already expensive enough without all the nickle and diming that companies seem to be falling in love with. Kinda makes you sick to the stomach when it gets so blatant that they dont care about anything but lining there pockets, when achievement points could be maningful and fun, not just nerd points.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Tennmuerti
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @Tennmuerti said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
I find this amusing. Considering just how many games I played before anyone ever heard of achievements. So did many other people.  Not insulting you or anything. It just made me smile. "
Of course I know in the past that there was no real indication of what a specific gamer played because there were no gamer profiles.  It's still the same on handhelds and the same for last gen. consoles, and I do often play PS2 games.  But I very much enjoy the fact that I can go in my friends list and see the games a friend has played, and what things that friend has done in the game.  I love that. "
To each his own I guess.
I was just refering to your point of achievements specifically as a measurement of how much of a gamer anyone is. The friends thing I can get.
Personally I can't get a rise to any emotion bad or good towards achievements in games generally. Always kinda MEH whatev. Some people like them, good for them if this is how enjoy games. Myself, I don't get the appeal of playing games for achievements.
Also in some games they feel like excuses for bad design or lack of content (*cough*Prototype*cough*) >.>
Avatar image for deactivated-5ee489577a60c
deactivated-5ee489577a60c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me achievements is just a way to give me more incentive to play after the first playthrough.

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By CounterShock

Because they're fun

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Tennmuerti
@toorima said:
" For me achievements is just a way to give me more incentive to play after the first playthrough. "
Wouldn't it be better if the game itself gave you incentive to play through more then one time without relying on arbitrary achievements?
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Tennmuerti said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
" @Tennmuerti said:
" @FluxWaveZ said:
Of course I know in the past that there was no real indication of what a specific gamer played because there were no gamer profiles.  It's still the same on handhelds and the same for last gen. consoles, and I do often play PS2 games.  But I very much enjoy the fact that I can go in my friends list and see the games a friend has played, and what things that friend has done in the game.  I love that. "
I was just refering to your point of achievements specifically as a measurement of how much of a gamer anyone is.
When do I ever say that?  Don't twist my words.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ee489577a60c
deactivated-5ee489577a60c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tennmuerti said:
" @toorima said:
" For me achievements is just a way to give me more incentive to play after the first playthrough. "
Wouldn't it be better if the game itself gave you incentive to play through more then one time without relying on arbitrary achievements? "
Yeah sure but the achievements add another layer of challenges and goals that I can set for myself, to make the second playthrough even more enjoyable.
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Tennmuerti
@FluxWaveZ said:

" @Tennmuerti said:

" @FluxWaveZ said:

" @Tennmuerti said:

" @FluxWaveZ said:
I was just refering to your point of achievements specifically as a measurement of how much of a gamer anyone is.
When do I ever say that?  Don't twist my words. "

Sorry if I misunderstood. Just the way I interpreted: "I still think that achievements are just there to display your history as a gamer. It shows what you have played and what you have done in those games. "
I just have a problem with the use of achievements as a way to see someones history as a gamer, specifically. Kind of lol.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Tennmuerti: What's the problem with seeing the games that other people have played?  What's the problem with seeing what other people have done in their games, what quests they completed and such?  What could possibly be wrong with that?
dlowe05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By dlowe05

people play for achievements and trophies because it's just human nature to want to gather the most points. people like to compete. plus, playing games is fun. so, its win, win, win in my book.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Tennmuerti
@FluxWaveZ said:

" @Tennmuerti: What's the problem with seeing the games that other people have played?  What's the problem with seeing what other people have done in their games, what quests they completed and such?  What could possibly be wrong with that? "

Like I said to you in an earlier reply, there is nothing wrong with that and I understand it's use for seeing what your online friends have done in the past.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#84  Edited By Karmum

A sense of accomplishments. Or for a better term, nothing better to do. I explain that for me, anyhow. I only have 64,000 gamerscore.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Tennmuerti said:

" @FluxWaveZ said:

" @Tennmuerti: What's the problem with seeing the games that other people have played?  What's the problem with seeing what other people have done in their games, what quests they completed and such?  What could possibly be wrong with that? "

Like I said to you in an earlier reply, there is nothing wrong with that and I understand it's use for seeing what your online friends have done in the past. "
Um, okay...  I guess "I just have a problem with the use of achievements as a way to see someones history as a gamer, specifically. Kind of lol." kind of confused me because that's exactly what I'm talking about.
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
@agentxricky said:
" Achievements are ruining gaming?... REALLY?  Why or how people play games is of no concern to anyone else at all. The way I play my game is of no concern to you or anyone else in this thread. It's not like If I get an achievement, it somehow deprives you of something in your game.  People will find anything to cry about, honestly. "
You missed the point, Developers are trying to meet the needs of those who play for achievements and are forgetting about making good games. Because people are abusing them and  it sells games, I can make a crap game that you press A and 1000 achievements and people will buy it! thats what I'm getting at!, people will buy crap just for achievements, thats what I'm complaining about. And thats why is ruining gaming, More and more people are accepting mediocrity for the sack of achievements.
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I don't 80% of the people posting here didn't read what I wrote... Sigh* Just adds to my idea that people are becoming more blind and only care about the bold letter and don't bother to read the fine print.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#88  Edited By GunstarRed
@DuhQbnSiLo:
this is just utter rubbish look at all the big releases throughout the year and very few of them have achievements  in the place of good gameplay..hell, the BIGGEST game of the year has ZERO tied to it's main attraction.. 

AC 2... most of them are story based 
Uncharted... Bland and boring ones.... definately not at the expense of game quality 
Resident evil 5.. most of them progression based 

or do you want to complain about a fighting game like Street Fighter IV's that are mostly tied to winning/playing against other people online.... 
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Kohe321

They go "bling" when you unlock them, which gives a nice feeling of accomplishment.

Or, I don't know really.

kamikaze_tutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By kamikaze_tutor

Achievements are additional challenges, it's a game within a game. Back in the arcades, the only achievement was to score the highest but here you get some new good gameplay chunks out of your game. I find that doing achievements for points alone is a dumb thing, but I do enjoy doing them for fun.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By HandsomeDead
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" there not i current games aren't worst replaying.. imo "
Hm?
agentxricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By agentxricky
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" @agentxricky said:
" Achievements are ruining gaming?... REALLY?  Why or how people play games is of no concern to anyone else at all. The way I play my game is of no concern to you or anyone else in this thread. It's not like If I get an achievement, it somehow deprives you of something in your game.  People will find anything to cry about, honestly. "
You missed the point, Developers are trying to meet the needs of those who play for achievements and are forgetting about making good games. Because people are abusing them and  it sells games, I can make a crap game that you press A and 1000 achievements and people will buy it! thats what I'm getting at!, people will buy crap just for achievements, thats what I'm complaining about. And thats why is ruining gaming, More and more people are accepting mediocrity for the sack of achievements. "

No. They aren't.  

A developer puts a pistol in a game, then makes the achievement for getting 100 kills with a pistol. It doesn't happen the other way around.
asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#93  Edited By asurastrike
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" @agentxricky said:
You missed the point, Developers are trying to meet the needs of those who play for achievements and are forgetting about making good games. Because people are abusing them and  it sells games, I can make a crap game that you press A and 1000 achievements and people will buy it! thats what I'm getting at!, people will buy crap just for achievements, thats what I'm complaining about. And thats why is ruining gaming, More and more people are accepting mediocrity for the sack of achievements. "
Everyone wants to talk about the "ruining of gaming", like there was some golden age of games where there wasn't any crap. If you want to look solely at numbers, more "good" games come out every year than have ever before.
bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#94  Edited By bjorno

achievements are the greatest innovation in human history.
I NEEED MORE

Demo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Demo

I totally agree, achievements and trophies are the most useless thing in gaming in a long time. I just don't get them, or the people who try to get them.
To me, it's just something extra because trying to get them makes me play by the developer's "rules" and it's just not fun anymore.

I've grown past it and I'm happy I did so, I prefer enjoying my games.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#96  Edited By asurastrike
@Demo said:
" I totally agree, achievements and trophies are the most useless thing in gaming in a long time. I just don't get them, or the people who try to get them. To me, it's just something extra because trying to get them makes me play by the developer's "rules" and it's just not fun anymore.  I've grown past it and I'm happy I did so, I prefer enjoying my games. "
You just said it, Achievements are something extra. They add extra goals, and sometimes make you play differently in order to get them. At the very least you should be able to admit they aren't a detractor from the game.
MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By MrSnow

gives a false sense of accomplishment

jhosaphat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#98  Edited By jhosaphat

I ganuinely feel like it keeps a record of what I've done gaming wise, and I can go back to look for nostalgia. I like seeing what I played 2-3 years ago and seeing how far I progressed in a game. That being said, I've had my achievement whore moments, mostly because the opportunity presented itself (Avatar).
ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#99  Edited By ManlyBeast

I go for them hell yeah. But only for games I enjoy playing.

anime_rpg_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't buy easy cheap/bad games just to get trophies! I only get games I want and will work on getting all trophies if i can, but i hate online trophies on ps3 games that need online passes got game used and no online pass! And even anything online on ps4 that needs ps+ there really shouldn't be any online trophies for games that is mainly a single player game!

And trophies like "Wanted" on GTA 4 should never be there like that, some are just wrong and ask for to much!