Why do people care about Achievements/Trophies?

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Seriously, why do people care how many they have? In my opinion there meant to reward players for doing things. Problem is, people have abused them by playing FOR them instead of playing and getting them. 

Example 1: Guy plays uncharted on crushing and get the trophy. His friends see like damn you beat it on crushing. Nice

Example 2: guy looks at what he had to do to get the trophy,  and get the game just for that and brags about it.

What did the guy in example 2 prove? That he has no life and thinks trophies make him cooler than anyone else, when he didn't really play the game for enjoyment. 

I hate trophies/achievements, i think they have ruined gaming, people are just play games for them and then drop them. If a game comes out for cheap with easy achievements. People will buy it, which tells developers, all you have to do its make cool achievements. More and more people don't even care how the game plays anymore they just care about what they have to do for them.

How do you guys feel about it?

GeneralTurkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By GeneralTurkle

The way I have always felt, is that it makes you feel like you are achieving something and not just playing the game to play it.  It gives you something to shoot for

EDIT: why is it that when people get achievements they seem to have "No life"?

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Bigandtasty

You're right, too many people care too much about achievements. But that's their fault for interpreting them that way, not the developers' fault for making them.

As for me,  I've always been a completionist (get or unlock almost all the stuff in a given game) so achievements are a standardized way of setting goals and proving that I did it, and that's great. I won't play bad games for achievements; I will sometimes do difficult tasks within the game, but that's the nature of the beast sometimes (I also speedran levels in Goldeneye and Perfect Dark for cheats, went knife/handgun only in RE4 for the heck of it, etc.)

whitewolf2435

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By whitewolf2435

I enjoy playing through a game the first time, and just randomly unlocking achievements. But for a game that has little replay value, achievements are a nice way to get the most out of a game. For example, the only reason I'm considering playing through DA:O for the third time is to finish up the list, otherwise I would've already sold it to EB Games.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By zombie2011

I don't know why i like them so much i just do. Microsoft stumbled on something great when they created achievements. 

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JoelTGM

Too many people care too much about people caring too much about achievements/trophies.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Matfei90

It gives me an incentive to try/do more things than I would normally if I just played through the game.

Of course it also sates my sense of completionism, having a full 1000/1000 on a game makes me feel like I'm properly done with it.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By HitmanAgent47

It definetly would gives a game more replay value and an excuse to replay it over and over. I could be wrong, however I don't care about achievements at all.

iiNF3RNo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By iiNF3RNo

they're a way of giving ppl incentives to replay the game. i think achievements are one of the best new things to gaming

MrKart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By MrKart

This is always going to be a constant debate amongst people, and I really want to write an article one day entitled, "Why Achievements are the Greatest Worst Things to Happen to Games." Technically, this really isn't a new concept: if you've ever unlocked something in a game before in the past--a feature, a character, a piece of concept art--that was technically an achievement because you had to DO something to get it. Now, granted those all come with things that actually affect your gameplay experience, but the greater idea of these achievments and trophies really isn't anything new. 

Personally, I love them because it makes me do things in games I would have never imagined doing, and a lot of time increases not only the longevity of a game, but also my fun of it. Take Fallout 3 as an example: one of my favorite games of the generation, but half of the stuff in it--hunting for the Super Mutant Behemoths, completing all of the sidequests, etc--would have never been done by me if I didn't have the achievement to shoot for. The in-game rewards weren't there to do any of it, but the fact that I now have proof that I did something uber cool is something that I like to look back on. I really don't care what anyone else thinks of my achievements, I just use them as a means of going, "Oh right, that's when I did this and that and boy that was a ton of fun." 

I remember I would play Ratchet and Clank on the PS2, and I would go through the game a half dozen amount of times so I could get every weapon and buy every upgrade. Then once I got them all, it was a complete, "okay... so what?" feeling. And I have no commemoration (if that's a word...) of the event itself, so it was a total empty thing. 

Then of course there's the whole argument about why they've also ruined a lot of games for me because I only gun for the achievements and don't actually take in the gameplay and yada yada... but I'll save that side of the debate for someone else. Or another time.
billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By billyhoush

Yup it's incentives that also capture the competitive spirit. It's also a great meta advertisement for games as achievements pop up on your friend's lists or whatever. It's really smart on the business side and kind of fun. It's like the same sort of busy work they put in games anyways like collecting things for a percentage of completion. This just makes it more universal for better e-penis waggering.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ArchScabby

They're fun to get.

Metric_Outlaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By Metric_Outlaw

Achievements are life.

AlexB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By AlexB

I understand why you wouldn't like it, and you really are right, but there is just something about them. Idk for some reason I just love getting achievements.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By StarFoxA

Typically I get whatever I can get easily doing one playthrough (ie, not an incredible amount of effort), and then go back and get the rest on a second playthrough, so as to extend replayability.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LiquidSwords

I think this is why there is no replay value in games anymore. Once all achievements are reached people put the game away and bitch about how short it was.  If I get the achievement cool, if not I'm fine with it.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pause422

Because people are dumb and a lot care about pointless things? I dont know. I never care, I would say, but if an achivement just sounds cool in general or involves something that sounds cool or fun like that, I may go for it just because I want to. More than anything I think the score is dumb. Thats why achivements on steam dont bother me, and I will go after them moreso than I would on the 360 if its something I feel good about.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
@LiquidSwords said:
"  I think this is why there is no replay value in games anymore. Once all achievements are reached people put the game away and bitch about how short it was.  If I get the achievement cool, if not I'm fine with it. "
this is the main problem, once people get them there done with the games and don't even care about how good the game was. Some people would play crap just for them and thats what ticks me off....
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fuzzyponken

Because of achievements, I have 82 logged hours in Plants vs. Zombies, a 10 dollar game. 

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By spacetrucking
@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" @LiquidSwords said:
"  I think this is why there is no replay value in games anymore. Once all achievements are reached people put the game away and bitch about how short it was.  If I get the achievement cool, if not I'm fine with it. "
this is the main problem, once people get them there done with the games and don't even care about how good the game was. Some people would play crap just for them and thats what ticks me off.... "
What are you talking about ? If anything, the re-playability of games has increased dramatically over the last few years. There are more branching storylines and open-world decisions to be made now than ever before and its not just in RPGs anymore. Infact, most of the people I know go back and replay their favorite games again because they enjoyed the whole experience so much, and its not for the achievements either.

I think its only the younger generation of gamers who grew up with the achievement bug that might think that way. It stems from the failure to realize that achievements are not a way to justify your gaming time. Games are entertainment and don't carry any tangible value. If you're not having fun with it, stop playing and pick up something else.
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I love achievements and trophies and anything of the sort. It is like a journal that I don't actually have to put any time into. I can look back and see that I beat this game on a certain day, or that I got this achievement with a friend on this day. It also extends the life of many games for me, that normally when complete I would be done with.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheJollyRajah

They're awesome and they help sell games. Who cares. 

Anyways, for me, it's not about how many points/trophies I have, it's about which ones I have.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
@Killjoy:@Killjoy said:
" @DuhQbnSiLo said:
" @LiquidSwords said:
this is the main problem, once people get them there done with the games and don't even care about how good the game was. Some people would play crap just for them and thats what ticks me off.... "
What are you talking about ? If anything, the re-playability of games has increased dramatically over the last few years. There are more branching storylines and open-world decisions to be made now than ever before and its not just in RPGs anymore. Infact, most of the people I know go back and replay their favorite games again because they enjoyed the whole experience so much, and its not for the achievements either.  I think its only the younger generation of gamers who grew up with the achievement bug that might think that way. It stems from the failure to realize that achievements are not a way to justify your gaming time. Games are entertainment and don't carry any tangible value. If you're not having fun with it, stop playing and pick up something else. "
no its not the younger generation because they don't have the funding to buy all those games, I'm talking people who just play for achievements/trophies. And what current-gen is classic, other than uncharted and double agent I don't think any of these will be touched when the next generation of consoles comes. People still play PS2 games because they were great. and flat out fun to play. Current games are useless once you beat them. 

I remember the old days when even non-gamers played the classics! There are no classics now thanks to achievements/trophies. I miss playing games just for fun, and I'm afraid that isn't in current games anymore. Me and my friend, a die-hard gamer, were talking about. I understand we got old but , you ever talked  to the current generation of gamers coming up. They have no classics, Halo is the biggest them to them and thats pretty sad. I guess you can also blame multiplater too. But games have been ruined and the good old days of FUn are over. Competition has driving it away and I don't see it coming back. 

Its why at first I liked the Wii, it had no multiplayer and it was an example of what gaming used to be. But now even Nintendo has been forced to go online and reward people for playing games? Like before trophies came out people used to buy the 360 copies just for achievements(I worked at gamestop for well over a year and saw it day to day). What happen to plain old self-satisfaction?
Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#24  Edited By Spiritof

I like them WAY better when they also unlock something within the game. Give me anything I can use in the game along with the achievement and 99.9% of the time I'll go for it. I rarely go for an achievement solely for the achievement unless I'm in love with the game itself and love playing it repeatedly.

Hi Super Stardust HD!

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By agentboolen

It feels like it gives extra gameplay to the game. Its nice to have some extra goals to play towards. I don't really get the hate for Achievements, if you don't care about them just don't pay attention to them and play the game the way you would play the game if it was on a last gen game system.  I don't know if people are just buying games for easy achievements, but I do think people are getting better at games because there is more rewards to trying to do certain things in a game now.   

Have you ever played Sonic on the genesis?? Did you really care about getting all the Chaos Emeralds?? I found that they slowed down the game and I didn't really care about the reward so most of the time I just skipped the bonus stages. If there was a reward I might have tried a little bit harder to get all of them. You know bragging rights, just to say you did it. Sure you don't have to care about bragging rights but every once in a while its nice to be able to say you did something that not every gamer is doing. And I don't think there taking a way from the game, if anything there bringing more towards the game.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Branthog

Why do people care about leveling up their characters in games? Or scoring points in pinball? Or collecting comic books? Or building the best stereo system out there?

The real question is, why are so many achievements so trivial and stupid? Beating a game or leveling up or having a great K:D ratio is one thing. But what's there to be proud of that you wasted an entire weekend hunting for fucking 500 flags in Assassin's Creed or fucking orbs in Crackdown?!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By LiquidPrince

They add little mini goals that you usually might not have the incentive to do.

gabha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By gabha

Pfft, only the people who have a small GS say that size doesn't matter.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By spacetrucking
@DuhQbnSiLo: Dude, its fine to say that the new brand of games don't appeal to you personally but you can't objectify your opinion like its fact.I want you to explain how older games are "flat out fun to play" but the more recent titles are not ? What exactly has changed and taken the fun out of these games ? Why is Halo a sad example when games that didn't age well at all like Goldeneye are considered great classics ? You made a lot of bold statements there without any reasoning to back it up.

If you think a lack of multiplayer is a good thing, then I'm sorry for you. Online multiplayer is the best thing thats happened to games since possibly 3D. Its the main reason why gaming is starting to gain some mainstream appeal. Social interaction is central to human nature and finally we have games that take advantage of that fact.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#30  Edited By Vinchenzo
@DuhQbnSiLo: Shut the fuck up. That's why.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By breadfan

I like them at least because they offer incentive and challenge to some games, that I may not have tried otherwise. However I do not play games just for their achievements.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
@Killjoy said:
" @DuhQbnSiLo: Dude, its fine to say that the new brand of games don't appeal to you personally but you can't objectify your opinion like its fact.I want you to explain how older games are "flat out fun to play" but the more recent titles are not ? What exactly has changed and taken the fun out of these games ? Why is Halo a sad example when games that didn't age well at all like Goldeneye are considered great classics ? You made a lot of bold statements there without any reasoning to back it up. If you think a lack of multiplayer is a good thing, then I'm sorry for you. Online multiplayer is the best thing thats happened to games since possibly 3D. Its the main reason why gaming is starting to gain some mainstream appeal. Social interaction is central to human nature and finally we have games that take advantage of that fact. "
naw im not saying there not but replay wise, there not i current games aren't worst replaying.. imo
C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By C0V3RT

Maybe its a generational thing - but when I was growing up high score was everything.  This is the closest thing consoles have to that now-a-days is achievements/trophies.  End of the day it is totally meaningless but for people like me, its a way to brag.  I've rented my share of shitty games to boost my overall score, sure, but thats my perogative. 

It kind of agitates me when people actually slam people that go for them.  If its not your thing fine but no need to be a bummer because someone likes something you don't.
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
@Vinchenzo: nice job at showing what a tool you are... great job now get a life
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By cstrang

It's all neurochemistry, man.  Dopamine is a mood elevator that is released through the reward center of the brain.  Getting an achievement/trophy releases dopamine.  Interesting enough, dopamine is also one of the chemical causes of addiction to hard drugs.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By bubahula
@ArchScabby said:
"They're fun to get. "

this.
Fbomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Fbomb

I kind of like them, since I can look at them once in a while and see how far some friends have gotten in games, and see if they've finished it yet. Actual rankings or number, though? I really don't care.

LiquidSwords

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LiquidSwords
@Vinchenzo: 
Weeaboo    
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#39  Edited By Vinchenzo
@LiquidSwords: If you knew what a weeaboo even was, you'd still be wrong. But nice job failing.
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Turambar
@GeneralTurkle: Because playing a game for the sake of playing it due to it being a good game should be the way it is.  Playing something purely because of trophies or achievements is missing the entire point of it.

There is nothing inherently wrong with achievements or trophies as it adds an easily accessible layer to the community.  But like all things, it's being abused to hell.
Avatar image for deactivated-65d51c2303ca6
deactivated-65d51c2303ca6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DuhQbnSiLo said:
" @Killjoy:@Killjoy said:
" @DuhQbnSiLo said:
" @LiquidSwords said:
What are you talking about ? If anything, the re-playability of games has increased dramatically over the last few years. There are more branching storylines and open-world decisions to be made now than ever before and its not just in RPGs anymore. Infact, most of the people I know go back and replay their favorite games again because they enjoyed the whole experience so much, and its not for the achievements either.  I think its only the younger generation of gamers who grew up with the achievement bug that might think that way. It stems from the failure to realize that achievements are not a way to justify your gaming time. Games are entertainment and don't carry any tangible value. If you're not having fun with it, stop playing and pick up something else. "
no its not the younger generation because they don't have the funding to buy all those games, I'm talking people who just play for achievements/trophies. And what current-gen is classic, other than uncharted and double agent I don't think any of these will be touched when the next generation of consoles comes. People still play PS2 games because they were great. and flat out fun to play. Current games are useless once you beat them.   I remember the old days when even non-gamers played the classics! There are no classics now thanks to achievements/trophies. I miss playing games just for fun, and I'm afraid that isn't in current games anymore. Me and my friend, a die-hard gamer, were talking about. I understand we got old but , you ever talked  to the current generation of gamers coming up. They have no classics, Halo is the biggest them to them and thats pretty sad. I guess you can also blame multiplater too. But games have been ruined and the good old days of FUn are over. Competition has driving it away and I don't see it coming back.   Its why at first I liked the Wii, it had no multiplayer and it was an example of what gaming used to be. But now even Nintendo has been forced to go online and reward people for playing games? Like before trophies came out people used to buy the 360 copies just for achievements(I worked at gamestop for well over a year and saw it day to day). What happen to plain old self-satisfaction? "
To say achievements are stupid and a waste of time is one thing, but to say that games aren't any fun because of them, there are no classics and all the current generation has is Halo is just ignorant. I played through Bioshock five times after I got all the achievements. My friend and I played Left 4 Dead for months once we were satisfied with our achievements. I started a thread a few weeks ago about games you have replayed the most and guess what? 90% were current generation games. I understand what you are trying to say about achievements but you are completely blowing it out of proportion. Besides, it isn't the achievement system that is the problem, it's the player. Achievements are there to give you something tangible when you do something special in the game, and that is a fantastic system. Of course some players will place more value in the system than is meant to be there but if they choose to do that, so be it. I know that I'm having fun (even when Achievement hunting) playing current gen games and I will continue to have fun. 
blackbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By blackbeard

From an adults perspective... here are some of the reasons I enjoy trophies/achievements: 

• Sense of accomplishment. At work things are never just done and put away, when I complete a game and get the trophies I feel like it is *done*! and I can put it away if want. 
  • They provide a record of the things I have done in gaming. It's rewarding to look back at my trophies and remember the fun I had getting certain ones. 
  • Friendly competition with friends over who can get/do what.
  • They provide incentive to more fully play a game and therefore getting your money's worth out of it if you like it.
  • They are a nice added surprise to get when your not trying to get them.
  • The ding noise. :)

I am sure everyone likes/hates them for different reasons but they are a feature that is not going to go away so if you like em' go and get em', if not TS.
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#43  Edited By ajamafalous

Sounds like someone is bitter.

Avatar image for nifflemuvpa7quab
NiffleMuvpa7Quab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By NiffleMuvpa7Quab

I enjoy getting them just because they'll keep me entertained with the game longer, and it gives me something to do.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By zeforgotten

I never understood the need people seem to have for them. 
But as someone who is kinda addicted to gaming, I can see how someone can be addicted to playing through games to get achivements/trophies without enjoying the game itself. 

What is mindblowing to me is that I haven't gotten any platinum trophies at all. 
And I never went for any trophies in games, most of the games I own just throw them at me like "Oh you moved, trophy, you moved again, another trophy" 
And since I have a lot of games I now have over 1000 trophies for somer reason o.O 

And as someone who doesn't try to get trophies at all, I would really like to see what a Trophy Whores trophies would look like. 
It has to be in the 50k range or else I'm not gonna be impressed :P

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#46  Edited By wefwefasdf
@Vinchenzo: 
You tell him Vinchenzo. :p 

I love my achievements. There is nothing like the sound my 360 makes when I get an achievement. :D 
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By trophyhunter

how do you NOT care about them

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By Adamantium

Well, it's lame (IMO) to play crappy games just to rack up trophy points. I never buy games just to bump my score, I think that's really lame, and to rent a game that you don't even enjoy just to boost a gamer score? Well, that's basically gaming the system, it debases the meaning of the achievements if you're only playing for them.

On the other hand, if I buy a game, you can be damn sure I'm going to go for as many of them as I can. Not only is it a nice feeling of accomplishment when you get one that you didn't know existed, but it's also extremely fun to do things in the game that you'd never think to try unless there was a trophy for it, like in GTAIV for rolling your car over 5x or geting 10 melee counters in 4 minutes. It can even lead to some chill things that you just shold experience, again using GTAIV like taking all of the helicopter tours and listening to the pilot's banter as you take in the virtual sights. It's just a part of the game's overall experience.

Toope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Toope
@gabha said:
" Pfft, only the people who have a small GS say that size doesn't matter. "
True that.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Afroman269

It makes me play the game more than I usually would.