Why do you like the Dynasty Warriors franchise?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Rowr

I was thinking about this after being posed the question by Jeff on the bombcast and realised im not really sure why I like this franchise so much.

If your a fan of the series as i am, perhaps you can help shed some light on why we like the game so much, since alot of people (including the giantbomb staff) seem to have no understanding at all of what drives us to play it.

I wrote a quick email to the bombcast trying to articulate my thoughts and ill post some of it here as my explanation.

-----------------------------
"I think its better to think of a Dynasty Warriors game more like Madden - the same game every year with enough mechanics switched up to keep it interesting.

I read many reviews of the games when they come out, and find they don't note many of the yearly changes in much depth, which I find are generally enough to keep it a little bit more interesting.

As for what I like about the games.

I enjoy the structured conquering of objectives and mild strategy elements, the story and characters, the levelling up of the characters and weapons, finding items and unlocking characters. I have played the games since the third iteration aside from "legends"

I enjoyed the game so much I purchased the books the story is based on (romance of the three kingdoms). Playing the battles from the books is very satisfying.

I understand the game is repetitive, but for some reason I can tolerate it, not really sure why, its somewhat of an anomaly for me as I usually have a low tolerance for repetition.

For the record, I hate Diablo and I'm not much of a fan of JRPGs, In fact I tolerate very little in the way of Japanese design and grinding."
----------------------------

(I am aware there is a dynasty warriors forum, but in the interest of more people seeing, and since it pertains to discussion in the bombcast, I've put it in GD. I hope thats alright.)

So in the interest of cross gamer education.

If your a fan of the series, why?

If your not, what do you dislike the most about it?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By pause422

Also you gotta add that for like the past I don't know how many years dynasty warriors averages terrible scores and overall is just a dumb simple game...madden is popular cuz people like that sim like experience I guess, but no one can excuse dynasty warriors or that other samurai game that is just like it made by the same devs. My main question is that how do enough people(guessing so at least..) keep buying these terrible games that I'm assuming don't sell all that well(or hoping..) in the first place keep warranting sequels, that are nothing more than the same game over and over again..for years now.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Rowr

This game sells pretty well, its obviously not on madden numbers, but then again its not sold on the nfl license to the established fans.

if its such a "dumb simple" game, why am i playing it, why does it sell so well compared to reviews? Im not a "dumb, simple" gamer.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By pause422

Thats fine that it has its fans, but honestly its so much just the same game over and over again..if they stopped making them years ago and fans of them just played one "Dynasty Warriors" game over and over again they should be just as satisfied.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rowr

as a fan i can tell you directly, thats an incorrect assumption.

Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wuffi

i love games that suck

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Rowr
Wuffi said:
"i love games that suck"
thanks for your valuable input.
blue74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By blue74

i dont its garbage and needs to die already

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By SpinCookie
Rowr said:
"Wuffi said:
"i love games that suck"
thanks for your valuable input."
Never played a single one, but I do love your Coheed avatar
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I don't know what I like about Dynasty warriors. Everything I can think of about them screams of repetitive mediocrity, yet somehow, they are still amazingly fun.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By tekmojo

its about as good as Kessen, yeaa u get the picture

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By OmegaPirate

I think this guy was asking for people who like the game ot post why they do - not for everyone that hates it to come in and slate it - the pages would stretch on to infinity if that happens :s

Giantkitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Giantkitty

I keep buying them, waiting for Joan Collins to be in one. So far, she hasn't, but I know someday she will be, and I will hug the TV.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Endogene

One button, seeing the same unit a couple of hundred times and doest require hardly any tactic our thought .
its a good game to play when you are alone and drunk and dont have any friends to play games with.

Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Discorsi

It's just mindless fun.  You just play it don't care much about peasants go after the officers make sure your allies are not getting fucked up like usual.  You progressively make your weapon better and you just level up your guys.  It is in no way a good game but it happens to be really fun.  I find DMC to be garbage.  For me it is noot fun but i can totally call it a good game.  It's just fun period.

I could play that game on easy mode hard mode whatever mode hours on end

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

i love dynasty warriors i dont know why either any other games like that i normally hate :S 

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rowr
ZombieHunter said:
"i love dynasty warriors i dont know why either any other games like that i normally hate :S "
Me to. Thats partly why i started this thread, to see if we could get to the bottom of it. The game uses some sort of magical hypnosis on certain people.

sheisty_shogun said:
"Because its so repetitive and unoriginal. Oh, and the lack of effort put in to each sequel."
As far as unoriginal, i dont know that many games like it (aside from the other series's koei started making). The story of the game is based on the books, so you cant really bust that for unoriginality.

also i do wonder how many of the commenters who are not fans here, actually have given the game a crack, or whether they are just following the general opinion.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
Rowr said:
"ZombieHunter said:
"i love dynasty warriors i dont know why either any other games like that i normally hate :S "
Me to. Thats partly why i started this thread, to see if we could get to the bottom of it. The game uses some sort of magical hypnosis on certain people."
i agree dynasty warriors is like date rape drugs :P
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Black_Rose

I'm not a fan but sometimes when i'm stressed i just put a DW game for a little mindless killing, it's fun for half hour.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Emilio

Man, I love DW6. I skipped 3 and 5, but played the rest.
I love hack n slash and beat 'em ups, so its easy for me to get into these kinds of games. I also think the controls are pretty solid, but the English voice acting blows.

I also want to get Dynasty Warriors Gundam.

Nik_NYG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Nik_NYG

wow rowr never seemes to have any half-assed posts.

As for the topic, I've only played DW gundam, and it was terrible but I can't judge the entire series off of that.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Rowr
Nik_NYG said:
"

wow rowr never seemes to have any half-assed posts.

As for the topic, I've only played DW gundam, and it was terrible but I can't judge the entire series off of that.

"
thanks, I try.

I havent played gundam, but im not sure i could get into it. I dont care for Samurai Warriors at all.

I think i enjoy the battles and characters from the story as much as the gameplay.
Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Discorsi
Emilio said:
"Man, I love DW6. I skipped 3 and 5, but played the rest.
I love hack n slash and beat 'em ups, so its easy for me to get into these kinds of games. I also think the controls are pretty solid, but the English voice acting blows.

I also want to get Dynasty Warriors Gundam."
6 is lame they cut so many characters and tottally changed their weapons.  I mean how could they change Lu Bu's weapon

Pure Blasphemy
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By keyhunter

Dynasty warriors is pretty awful. This coming from someone who thoroughly enjoyed Ninety Nine Nights.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PufferFiz

Guys This stuff SELLS consoles in japan. its popular enough there so they bring it here.  but most Americans dont like these games. i for one love them.  though they are not perfect. but i like the simplisty  of the gameplay and the overall joy of killing 1000 guys a level.  but you know , i dont like it when they dont upgrade the graphics at all but overall i cant help but injoy them.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#27  Edited By Dimsey

I don't really mind the DW games. I don't go out of my way to purchase them, but if I stumble across one cheap sometime after it's release in a Bargain Bin or something I'll pick it up.
I don't really know why I like the games though. Guess sometimes I just feel like dumb, repetitive button mashing.
Helps that it's one of the few multiplayer games I'm interested in that have splitscreen play. Sometimes feels like Splitscreen and sometimes local multiplayer altogether is abandoned in favor of online.
Don't have that problem with DW.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rowr

Splitscreen is fun with this game.

Except when you pause it to see where the fuck all the generals are, and then your mate gets pissed off because he just wants to hit dudes.

I was pretty dissapointed that 6 doesnt have online co-op, though i guess not surprised.

If this game had some online co-op, or like empires vs mode that would be fucking awesome.

Imagine if they got like an empires mode, where each of the generals can be played by actual players. That would be the greatest thing ever.

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PufferFiz
Rowr said:
"Splitscreen is fun with this game.

Except when you pause it to see where the fuck all the generals are, and then your mate gets pissed off because he just wants to hit dudes.

I was pretty dissapointed that 6 doesnt have online co-op, though i guess not surprised.

If this game had some online co-op, or like empires vs mode that would be fucking awesome.

Imagine if they got like an empires mode, where each of the generals can be played by actual players. That would be the greatest thing ever."
well DW:Gundam2 will have online VS modes. but yea online co-op would be nice.