Why is Halo CE your favorite Halo game?

majormoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By majormoe

I really don't understand why people consider it the best in the series, I thought it's one of the weakest. Sure it was amazing for it's time, but it hasn't aged well and it's riddled with problems that were addressed in the sequels. 

The level design was repetitive as hell, because you were always going through the same dull looking corridor. It became monotonous, and worse, you had to backtrack through all of them in the later levels. You also had to fight the annoying Flood all of the time in the second-half. The Library is one of the worst levels ever in the history of video games and its the worst level in the series. The first Halo starts off great in the first half but goes downhill from there. Halo 2, 3, ODST, and Reach didn't suffer much of the same problems that plagued the first game.

In the multi-player department, the weapons are incredibly imbalance. The Tank is a total campfest, and the pistol made almost every other weapon in the game useless. It's the weakest out of all of the game's multi-player component. It's an extremely imbalance multi-player component. 

So ask, despite all of it's glaring flaws, why do you look at Halo CE as the best in the series?

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Azteck

I don't. I do, however, consider it an amazing game because it was the game that really got me into games.

ShadowofIntent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ShadowofIntent

I don't

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By august
@majormoe:  I agree with everything you said. I played Halo 1 and 2 back to back, and as someone who had little invested in the series, I found 2 to be a huge improvement in terms of story and level design.
jasondaplock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By jasondaplock

It's more important than the sequels, not better. It brought a variety of new mechanics to the console from the control scheme to the health system to the open world layout. The game has been bested many times over in the last nine years when it comes to gameplay, graphics, what have you...but it was very important in the development of console first-person shooting and nostalgia hits hardest with popular innovations of any kind.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Karl_Boss

I still play it every once in awhile with my cousin and I still think it has the best campaign.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By csl316

I preferred Halo CE because it was pretty much a combat sandbox.  You had some goal, and you got in and just figured out your own way to do it.  In 2, I thought it gave you a little less freedom to approach stuff in different ways.  Like, here's the tank level, use the tank.  Use the sniper rifle, etc.

I thought 3 improved things because it gave you more choice (like a Scarab fight, there's a ton of ways to win it).  And I love Reach because every time I play a level, things happen differently.

Avatar image for comradekritstov
ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By ComradeKritstov

Never played all the way through the single player but playing pistols no shields with friends was the best.

aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By aleryn

Can't comment on adversarial multiplayer, since I only had the girlfriend to play the game with when I played CE.  She LOVED the co op though.   Knowing that... 

The flow of combat is the smoothest in the series, I think.  You have the basic Covenant units that all compliment each other well and keep it interesting.  The Flood are not the pain the ass that they are in Halo 2 in particular, and more fun to fight than the borefest of the Flood in Halo 3.  I just felt that they were really monotonous and not frightening at all in 2, and 3.  Whereas in CE they were genuinely terrifying.  A lot of it has to do with the different mood and atmosphere that came with them in CE.  Maybe they just don't do it in 2/3 cuz you know to expect, and it's not a surprise or revelation at all. 

Oh, and the Assault Rifle.  The gun is fragging useful in CE.  It's a damn BB gun in Halo 3, and while it's a lot better in Reach, the weakness of the individual rounds make me want the 50 round magazine of CE.  It just feels like the AR of CE, with a 30 round mag in Reach.  And I think it'd be better balanced with it's weak .22, or 5.56 feeling rounds with a 50 shot mag. 

AND THE PLASMA PISTOL.  THANK GOD THEY BROUGHT IT BACK TO USEFULNESS IN REACH, HAIL BUNGIE FOR THAT.  It was GARBAGE, HORRIBLE BLECH in 2, and 3.  But OHHH IT's BACK and I can LOVE it again.  

Plus the music of CE was all-around awesome and memorable.  I WILL say that I think Reach's music comes close to, or equals it.  The first time since CE in my taste.  Can't comment on ODST though, haven't played it.  So, yeah =)

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By Brendan

I don't.  It's certainly the most important in the series in terms of it's impact on video games, but it is by no means actually the best.  Nostalgia also happens to work its magic on people as well.
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By DystopiaX

3sks are awesome, the maps in MP were the best. Yeah SP was weak, but LAN parties and multiplayer was awesome. I don't care about weapon balance/not using the Plasma Rifle, needler, etc. Weapon balance and fun are not necessarily the same thing. Pistol/snipe/rockets was enough, I don't need some shiny red gun to have fun in a game.

Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cegoraph

I can see where you're going with the level design but you exaggerate it. While the interior levels are indeed copy-and-pasted at several moments of the game, there are still a various locations for the game. Such as the fact that you play inside a Space Vessel on the beginning, then you play on Halo in the second mission, you play during nighttime outdoor environments in the third mission, then fight inside a Covenant vessel during the the second half of the third mission, and then you fight in a explorable sandbox environment in the fourth mission. While the indoor levels are copy-and-pasted, there are still a tons amount of variety of different environments. The outdoor areas were large and expansive, allowing bigger battles and more options to tackle enemy encounters in the game. Something that were missing in the sequels. 

As for the backtracking, it didn't matter as much because you get to encounter different battles, pilot banshees and complete mission objectives. From there, you get to engage against Sentinels. You also engage in three way battles between the Covenant and the Flood, or sometimes, Flood and the Sentinels. There was even one moment where you see a Covenant platoon fight against a fleet of Sentinels. It also manages to let explore the environments more, a component that I felt missing from it's sequels. Plus, the Flood weren't as annoying to fight as you make them out to be, because they can be easily handled by the Shotgun, which is their weakness.  

I believe that the reason people prefer Halo: CE's campaign to that of 2 & 3's, because there were far more mission variety and far more complex set-pieces. Halo: Combat Evolved had more memorable moments than Halo 2 & 3 combined. Halo 2 and 3 felt like I was just going to fight through endless waves of different enemy encounters to another. I don't particularly remember any exciting moment from 2, and the only real stand out moment from Halo 3 were it's Scarab battles. Halo: Combat Evolved was more immerssive than 2 & 3 as well. While I was on the ring shaped planet known as Halo, I actually felt that I was in this mysterious, beautiful, and yet ominous planet  I felt none of that in Halo 2 or 3. I didn't even feel that in Reach, Reach didn't have that same sense of immersion that was present in the first Halo. 

Halo: Combat Evolved manage to get the storytelling right. It was straightforward, yet compelling and unpredictable. The mystery of uncovering the purpose of the Halo ring gave me a sense of urgency and mystery that pulled me into the narrative more than the other game's in the series. I appreciate Halo 2 for expanding the scope of the story, but it became messy and convoluted. Halo 3 was bland, predictable, and downright bombastic. Reach tried to pull off a character driven story about sacrifice, fellowship, and ephemeral existence. But it had no emotional weight to it, and none the characters were well developed. ODST on the other hand, told a rather uniquely structured story. I like it's noir detective story, and the rather two-dimensional characters were well developed, more so than Reach's pathetic attempts at characterization and development.

While the sandbox combat were excellent in every game in the series. I felt that Combat Evolved and Reach manage to pull it off the best, due to their larger environments and bigger battles. I would still have to choose Combat Evolved over Reach by a margin, because the game storytelling was far better, and it was far more immerssive than Reach.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic

it's the first and greatest

krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By krystians

The first one brings great memories. I remember staying up late till the crack of dawn and playing with my bud while listening to 50 cents first CD. Nuff said. I think ODST and Reach are my favorites. With 3 having a great Online ranking system.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jack268

The Halo CE demo for PC had online multiplayer. There was one map. It was called "Blood Gulch". You might've heard of it.

plop1920

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By plop1920

halo 2 is the best halo!

Avatar image for deactivated-6620058d9fa01
deactivated-6620058d9fa01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assault on the Control Room

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zeforgotten

I don't know and frankly I'm kinda surprised that I think it's my favorite Halo game

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By MysteriousBob

Its not because I've never played it. Hell, I've never played on an XBox, period.

Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Cegoraph
@Skooky said:
" Assault on the Control Room "
The Silent Cartographer was better.
JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JerichoBlyth

I thought the original Halo hit the nail on the head as far as the overall presentation went.

You went from paradise (the silent cartographer level) to the artic just by walking through a small corridor - back then, it blew my mind and I still do not think the other Halo's came anywhere near to topping it.......instead, they will be best remembered for their multiplayer.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By natetodamax

I do not think that.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Venatio

It's not my favorite Halo game at all

Don't assume shit

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By stinky

the side step, what a great feature that was in CE, they took it out in the rest. 
made fighting hunters fun with the pistol. 

still remember the awe of playing it and being put into a huge open space where a battle was going on, that was great.  
(cant remember the name of the level) but i do remember dying there a lot because of all the experimentation you could try. 

you really can't take it out of its context in time though, and some of the things the did are now staples of game play. 
but seeing them in halo first added to the awe inspiring feel. 

pacing i think was the best out of all of them, until you hit the Library, worst part of the whole game.  maybe the worst part of the whole halo series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@majormoe said:
" I really don't understand why people consider it the best in the series, I thought it's one of the weakest. Sure it was amazing for it's time, but it hasn't aged well and it's riddled with problems that were addressed in the sequels.  The level design was repetitive as hell, because you were always going through the same dull looking corridor. It became monotonous, and worse, you had to backtrack through all of them in the later levels. You also had to fight the annoying Flood all of the time in the second-half. The Library is one of the worst levels ever in the history of video games and its the worst level in the series. The first Halo starts off great in the first half but goes downhill from there. Halo 2, 3, ODST, and Reach didn't suffer much of the same problems that plagued the first game. In the multi-player department, the weapons are incredibly imbalance. The Tank is a total campfest, and the pistol made almost every other weapon in the game useless. It's the weakest out of all of the game's multi-player component. It's an extremely imbalance multi-player component.   So ask, despite all of it's glaring flaws, why do you look at Halo CE as the best in the series? "
You?
You ask this as if EVERYONE here has this opinion of the first Halo.
Avatar image for deactivated-6620058d9fa01
deactivated-6620058d9fa01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Cegoraph said:
" @Skooky said:
The Silent Cartographer was better. "
Nope.
Cegoraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cegoraph
@Skooky said:
" @Cegoraph said:
" @Skooky said:
The Silent Cartographer was better. "
Nope. "
Yes, yes it is better.
august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By august
@Fragstoff said:

" Counter-Strike is the best Halo "

No way. Tribes 2 was clearly the best Halo.