Why piracy on the nintendo ds is overblown.

thwak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By thwak

With the recent amount of controversy surrounding pokemon black and white being region locked, even though the game has already been pirated, I figured it was a good time to talk piracy statistics.  I decided to look at various piracy data, along with sales data, to determine if piracy is a problem on the nintendo ds compared to other consoles.

Now before I go ahead and share my findings I would like to point out that these are very rough estimates. The method of which these estimates were found doesn't equate to the total amount of potential pirates for a console. What I did is that I looked at the numbers for the most pirated game on a console and compared that to the total number of consoles sold via VGchartz.com. There's a large number of holes for using this method to gather data on piracy, but my point isn't to be acurate it's to give rough estimates. 

So let's start with the

No Caption Provided
piracy figures for the nintendo ds, since nintendo is so concerned about it:

The piracy figures for the nintendo ds are apprx. 1.5%.

This was found by looking at the piracy figures for Pokemon Platinum and comparing that to the total number of ds units sold. 

Now 1.5 percent seems high, but let's compare it to another console that claims to have a piracy problem, the xbox 360. 
No Caption Provided

The Piracy figures for the Xbox 360 came to 2.25%. 

This was found by looking at the piracy figures tracked by bit.torent for Modern Warfare 2. Now I'm no math wiz but 2.25 percent seems to be more than 1.5 percent. 

But this is nothing compared to the console that has the single biggest problem with piracy. That console is the PSP.

No Caption Provided
The PSP piracy figures are apprx. 8.8%. That's ridiculous. That's 4x the number of pirates on the Xbox 360 and far outweighs the problem with piracy on the nintendo ds.

This data was found by looking at the piracy figures of Dissidia: Final Fantasy.

Infact let's look at those piracy figures even closer. Dissidia: Final Fantasy was pirated 5.28 million times. According to VGchartz it only sold 1.82 million copies. More people illegally downloaded Dissidia: Final Fantasy than they bought the game.

But wait, it gets worse! Let's look at the bit. torrent figures of how many people illegally downloaded Modern Warfare 2 on the pc. Only 4.1 million downloads. 

According to my data, which again is only a rough estimate, more people pirate games on the PSP than they do on the personal computer. In a world in which everybody from the gaming media to video game publishers think pc gaming is plagued with pirates, it isn't the platform with the most pirates. The PSP is.

So what does all of this data tell us? Number 1 piracy on the Nintendo DS is an issue but a very very small issue and is probably overblown. Number 2, if you're a game publisher it would be in your best interests to urge sony to crackdown on PSP piracy because that's where the real piracy issue is.
thwak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By thwak

With the recent amount of controversy surrounding pokemon black and white being region locked, even though the game has already been pirated, I figured it was a good time to talk piracy statistics.  I decided to look at various piracy data, along with sales data, to determine if piracy is a problem on the nintendo ds compared to other consoles.

Now before I go ahead and share my findings I would like to point out that these are very rough estimates. The method of which these estimates were found doesn't equate to the total amount of potential pirates for a console. What I did is that I looked at the numbers for the most pirated game on a console and compared that to the total number of consoles sold via VGchartz.com. There's a large number of holes for using this method to gather data on piracy, but my point isn't to be acurate it's to give rough estimates. 

So let's start with the

No Caption Provided
piracy figures for the nintendo ds, since nintendo is so concerned about it:

The piracy figures for the nintendo ds are apprx. 1.5%.

This was found by looking at the piracy figures for Pokemon Platinum and comparing that to the total number of ds units sold. 

Now 1.5 percent seems high, but let's compare it to another console that claims to have a piracy problem, the xbox 360. 
No Caption Provided

The Piracy figures for the Xbox 360 came to 2.25%. 

This was found by looking at the piracy figures tracked by bit.torent for Modern Warfare 2. Now I'm no math wiz but 2.25 percent seems to be more than 1.5 percent. 

But this is nothing compared to the console that has the single biggest problem with piracy. That console is the PSP.

No Caption Provided
The PSP piracy figures are apprx. 8.8%. That's ridiculous. That's 4x the number of pirates on the Xbox 360 and far outweighs the problem with piracy on the nintendo ds.

This data was found by looking at the piracy figures of Dissidia: Final Fantasy.

Infact let's look at those piracy figures even closer. Dissidia: Final Fantasy was pirated 5.28 million times. According to VGchartz it only sold 1.82 million copies. More people illegally downloaded Dissidia: Final Fantasy than they bought the game.

But wait, it gets worse! Let's look at the bit. torrent figures of how many people illegally downloaded Modern Warfare 2 on the pc. Only 4.1 million downloads. 

According to my data, which again is only a rough estimate, more people pirate games on the PSP than they do on the personal computer. In a world in which everybody from the gaming media to video game publishers think pc gaming is plagued with pirates, it isn't the platform with the most pirates. The PSP is.

So what does all of this data tell us? Number 1 piracy on the Nintendo DS is an issue but a very very small issue and is probably overblown. Number 2, if you're a game publisher it would be in your best interests to urge sony to crackdown on PSP piracy because that's where the real piracy issue is.
martindn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By martindn

I really find it hard to believe that more people pirate on the 360 than on the ds, consider the facts, DL discs are expensive, bandwith for games are expensive, a DL burner can be expensive, jtagging or flashing your 360 can be expensive even moreso if you buy your 360 already flashed.

Compared to the DS ? Buying a flash cart...yeah. For the amount you spend on pirating 360 games you can buy just as many original games.

And whats the figures for the pc ? I would imagine thats even worse than the psp figures.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

PSP piracy is nuts.  My friend is on a private tracker and I saw that 1.5 million pirated Dissidia.  That's more than the sales.  :| 

GT Mobile was worse....and let's not even bring up Peace Walker.

thwak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By thwak
@MartinDN said:
" I really find it hard to believe that more people pirate on the 360 than on the ds, consider the facts, DL discs are expensive, bandwith for games are expensive, a DL burner can be expensive, jtagging or flashing your 360 can be expensive even moreso if you buy your 360 already flashed.  Compared to the DS ? Buying a flash cart...yeah. For the amount you spend on pirating 360 games you can buy just as many original games.  And whats the figures for the pc ? I would imagine thats even worse than the psp figures. "
More people are pirating games on the ds, however more people have a nintendo ds than they do an xbox 360.

What I'm saying is that there's a higher RATE of piracy on the 360 than on the DS. 

Also PC figures are still less than psp figures. In the blog I pointed out that the most pirated pc game of last year had 4.1 million downloads while the psp had 5.28.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond
@thwak said:
More people are pirating games on the ds, however more people have a nintendo ds than they do an xbox 360.  What I'm saying is that there's a higher RATE of piracy on the 360 than on the DS.    Also PC figures are still less than psp figures. In the blog I pointed out that the most pirated pc game of last year had 4.1 million downloads while the psp had 5.28.
The way you're figuring these numbers is a load of nonsense.  You're taking unreliable piracy data for singular games and factoring it against the total installed base.  You don't even have figures for PC...

A slightly more reliable way of calculating this data is comparing your pirated copy data against know sales data.  That's far more important to the business world.  Some guy who uses a word processor on his PC in Pakistan isn't part of the PC gaming installed base.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Animasta

it's not overblown if i can literally just google "nintendo DS rom" and go download whatever I want. (computer emulation obviously, but were they just looking at torrent numbers? I dunno that number seems way too low)

as for PSP piracy, there isn't an emulator that works well at all for PSP (I know I've looked), so...

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By FreakAche

Then explain why the majority of my friends with DSes pirate their games, while I don't know a single person who pirates 360 games.

seishiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By seishiro

Hang on here.  You're comparing (Pokemon Platinum units pirated / DS units sold) to (Modern Warfare units pirated / Xbox360 units sold) to (Dissidia units pirated / Dissidia units sold)? Wouldn't it be fairer to compare units pirated / units sold across all platforms and titles (you know, comparing apples to oranges and all that jazz)?  
Also, I could've sworn that a percentage is a relative term, in other words, 1% of 1000 will, in sheer numbers, be more than 4% of 100. Because 8% is only 8 times as much as 1% if and only if the numbers are the same.  
Also, doesn't the CESA only track games developed in Japan? I can remember quite a spat about Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars' sales being crippled by the rampant piracy issues on both the DS and PSP. Where's that in the numbers? 
Also, Modern Warfare 2 as the indicator of PC piracy? Really (or SRSLY, as you kids are want to call it). I would say that the Sims Series (main titles only, disregarding the addons) would be the most pirated PFC game of perhaps all time. Source:  http://torrentfreak.com/top-10-most-pirated-games-of-2008-081204/ . Take note: Sims 2 was released in 2004! This list is 2008!

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew
@Laketown said:
" it's not overblown if i can literally just google "nintendo DS rom" and go download whatever I want. "
Of course you're going to be able to "download whatever [you] want". What kinds of results do you expect from such a search? I could perform a search for Xbox 360 ISOs and get results fro that too. It doesn't really prove anything though, exact for the fact that it exists.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Animasta
@LordAndrew said:
" @Laketown said:
" it's not overblown if i can literally just google "nintendo DS rom" and go download whatever I want. "
Of course you're going to be able to "download whatever [you] want". What kinds of results do you expect from such a search? I could perform a search for Xbox 360 ISOs and get results fro that too. It doesn't really prove anything though, exact for the fact that it exists. "
yeah, but it's a damn slight easier getting DS games.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@FreakAche said:
" Then explain why the majority of my friends with DSes pirate their games, while I don't know a single person who pirates 360 games. "
Small samples rarely accurately represent the whole.
ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By ch13696

I rather leave pirating alone. This whole thing is blown way out of proportion. I believe the best way to downsize pirates is to ignore them and stop talking to the media about what kind of DRM your featuring in your console and game. When you have a publisher or console developer boasting about how many units they sell and how they're cracking down on pirates, the pirates will retaliate. They will literally do what they can to crack it. It's like giving them a challenge. 

I'll give a couple of examples. Microsoft retaliated against modded console with a console ban. Literally banning over 1 million consoles. Do you know how they fought back? They brought out an update for flashed DVD drives. That makes it nearly impossible to detect that you have a modded console. Ubisoft mentioned that in order to play Assassin's Creed II you will have to be connected to the internet the whole time. Well, eventually the pirates found a way to crack that. 

Keep putting up different DRM's and the pirates will crack it.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Synthballs

I have to agree with the majority here. All the data you've collected is pretty bad.  

Also, are you just trying to make yourself feel better about piracy?

thwak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thwak
@Diamond said:
" @thwak said:
More people are pirating games on the ds, however more people have a nintendo ds than they do an xbox 360.  What I'm saying is that there's a higher RATE of piracy on the 360 than on the DS.    Also PC figures are still less than psp figures. In the blog I pointed out that the most pirated pc game of last year had 4.1 million downloads while the psp had 5.28.
The way you're figuring these numbers is a load of nonsense.  You're taking unreliable piracy data for singular games and factoring it against the total installed base.  You don't even have figures for PC...  A slightly more reliable way of calculating this data is comparing your pirated copy data against know sales data.  That's far more important to the business world.  Some guy who uses a word processor on his PC in Pakistan isn't part of the PC gaming installed base. "
That's why I didn't calculate PC figures because not everyone who has a PC is part of the installed PC base. I was just comparing the most pirated PSP game to the most pirated PC game and found that more people bootlegged the game on the PSP. 

Are there problems in the way I calculated these figures? OFCOURSE! But the point of the blog was to try and give a rough estimate of the rate of piracy for each console. 
thwak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thwak
@Synthballs said:
" I have to agree with the majority here. All the data you've collected is pretty bad.    Also, are you just trying to make yourself feel better about piracy? "
I don't pirate games. 

If you are looking for a ulterior motive though I will say this: I am a PC gamer who hates DRM. I don't like it when any video game company makes a big deal about piracy and does stuff that hurts the consumer. I feel that region locking system and adding DRM that interfers with actions a consumer does (like trying to back up games, or run games with out a disc) do more harm than they do good.  I also don't like when companies use piracy as an excuse to not release games in various regions (like how capcom didn't release the miles edgeworth game in europe).

That aside, I still feel that companies are correct to stop piracy. If I was a publisher I would urge sony to do something drastic with the PSP to stop piracy.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ch13696 said:
" I rather leave pirating alone. This whole thing is blown way out of proportion. I believe the best way to downsize pirates is to ignore them and stop talking to the media about what kind of DRM your featuring in your console and game. When you have a publisher or console developer boasting about how many units they sell and how they're cracking down on pirates, the pirates will retaliate. They will literally do what they can to crack it. It's like giving them a challenge. 

I'll give a couple of examples. Microsoft retaliated against modded console with a console ban. Literally banning over 1 million consoles. Do you know how they fought back? They brought out an update for flashed DVD drives. That makes it nearly impossible to detect that you have a modded console. Ubisoft mentioned that in order to play Assassin's Creed II you will have to be connected to the internet the whole time. Well, eventually the pirates found a way to crack that.  Keep putting up different DRM's and the pirates will crack it. "
This is the right idea. Just ignore the fuckers.