1000 Wiki Pages Down, A Look Back.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 69

Edited By bobafettjm

So as I have been sitting here toiling away at the wiki, a thought popped into my head. I knew that I had been getting close to reaching 1000 pages I created on the wiki (not counting people for credits), so I decided to go and check the list. Well as it turns out the last page I had created before checking was lucky number 1000. Here is the list of all the pages I created so far.

What was that 1000th wiki page you may ask? Well I will get to that in good time, but first:

The beginning

So when I first came to Giant Bomb (on August 8, 2010) I was super excited about the idea of an approachable video game wiki, which up to that point I felt like sites like Mobygames and Gamefaqs were not. At first I will admit I had no real direction or idea of what I was doing, I just knew that I could finally help with something like this with my massive love of video games.

The First Page

Jumper Two, The First Page I ever Added

I had no idea where to start when I decided I wanted to help fill out Giant Bombs wiki, so I filled a small amount of information here and there on some random games I had played. Well finally I had recently played a little PC game called Jumper Two, decided I was going to go fill in a little information about it but found that there wasn't a page for it on Giant Bomb. I had decided to leave it alone at the time, not knowing how to go about submitting a new page.

Well a few days later I decided I would figure out how to add a new game page, and that I did. Once I got that message that my request to add the page was accepted I was hooked from then on out.

The Addiction Starts

After that first page I was addicted to seeking out and adding any kind of information I could that wasn't yet present. I went on to add a page for the Jumper series main character, Ogmo (who made an appearance in Super Meat Boy), a franchise page for Jumper, and the third game in the series as well. I ended up adding some character, object, and location pages that I am honestly not sure why I took the time to do, and frankly when I go back to some of the early pages I created I probably wouldn't take the time for anymore, but I was sure having fun pouring info into the wiki.

Focusing Up

A couple of times over the couple years I have been working on the wiki here on Giant Bomb I have gotten into a groove with editing and adding specific types of pages. The first of these focuses that I had was pinball machines. Pinball being something that I love, I started adding credits for folks who worked on pinball machines and noticed that there were tons of machines that were missing from the wiki. Well that started what I like to call my mass pinball initiative where I added a TON of pinball machines to the wiki.

Another area in which I have worked on adding a lot of pages is the Game Boy games, or more specifically Game Boy Color games. I noticed the Game Boy Color was lacking quite a bit of not just information, but entire game pages as well. I still go back from time to time and try to go through a good chunk of the GBC games, but it is a pretty big task.

Another series of games that I for some reason decided to add to the wiki is a Japanese pachi-slot series called Slotter Mania. I started by adding one of the games I found some information on and noticed it was a series, however I had no idea just how large this series was when I started.

Lately my masochistic obsession with hidden objects games has led me down a rabbit hole that I honestly had no idea was as massive as it was. There are literally hundreds of generic looking hidden objects games out there, thanks Big Fish Games.

Page 1000

Page #1000
Page #1000

Since I didn't realize before hand that I was this close to hitting 1000 I ended up not being able to plan out at all what my 1000th page was. So I have been sitting here all morning adding these hidden objects games and the companies that develop them to the wiki and my 1000th page happened to be one of them. Strange Cases: the Secrets of Grey Mist Lake was my 1000th page, a generic hidden objects game that is the third in a series.

Beyond 1000

I am sure nobody out there really cares about reading all of this, but for me it is something I want to be able to look back on later when i'm at 1500 or 2000 pages and laugh at how I posted a blog about getting to 1000. I am dedicated to trying to make Giant Bomb the best gaming wiki out there, and encourage anyone else out there who hasn't taken a shot at wiki editing to do so.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By bobafettjm

So as I have been sitting here toiling away at the wiki, a thought popped into my head. I knew that I had been getting close to reaching 1000 pages I created on the wiki (not counting people for credits), so I decided to go and check the list. Well as it turns out the last page I had created before checking was lucky number 1000. Here is the list of all the pages I created so far.

What was that 1000th wiki page you may ask? Well I will get to that in good time, but first:

The beginning

So when I first came to Giant Bomb (on August 8, 2010) I was super excited about the idea of an approachable video game wiki, which up to that point I felt like sites like Mobygames and Gamefaqs were not. At first I will admit I had no real direction or idea of what I was doing, I just knew that I could finally help with something like this with my massive love of video games.

The First Page

I had no idea where to start when I decided I wanted to help fill out Giant Bombs wiki, so I filled a small amount of information here and there on some random games I had played. Well finally I had recently played a little PC game called Jumper Two, decided I was going to go fill in a little information about it but found that there wasn't a page for it on Giant Bomb. I had decided to leave it alone at the time, not knowing how to go about submitting a new page.

Well a few days later I decided I would figure out how to add a new game page, and that I did. Once I got that message that my request to add the page was accepted I was hooked from then on out.

The Addiction Starts

After that first page I was addicted to seeking out and adding any kind of information I could that wasn't yet present. I went on to add a page for the Jumper series main character, Ogmo (who made an appearance in Super Meat Boy), a franchise page for Jumper, and the third game in the series as well. I ended up adding some character, object, and location pages that I am honestly not sure why I took the time to do, and frankly when I go back to some of the early pages I created I probably wouldn't take the time for anymore, but I was sure having fun pouring info into the wiki.

Focusing Up

A couple of times over the couple years I have been working on the wiki here on Giant Bomb I have gotten into a groove with editing and adding specific types of pages. The first of these focuses that I had was pinball machines. Pinball being something that I love, I started adding credits for folks who worked on pinball machines and noticed that there were tons of machines that were missing from the wiki. Well that started what I like to call my mass pinball initiative where I added a TON of pinball machines to the wiki.

Another area in which I have worked on adding a lot of pages is the Game Boy games, or more specifically Game Boy Color games. I noticed the Game Boy Color was lacking quite a bit of not just information, but entire game pages as well. I still go back from time to time and try to go through a good chunk of the GBC games, but it is a pretty big task.

Another series of games that I for some reason decided to add to the wiki is a Japanese pachi-slot series called Slotter Mania. I started by adding one of the games I found some information on and noticed it was a series, however I had no idea just how large this series was when I started.

Lately my masochistic obsession with hidden objects games has led me down a rabbit hole that I honestly had no idea was as massive as it was. There are literally hundreds of generic looking hidden objects games out there, thanks Big Fish Games.

Page 1000

Page #1000
Page #1000

Since I didn't realize before hand that I was this close to hitting 1000 I ended up not being able to plan out at all what my 1000th page was. So I have been sitting here all morning adding these hidden objects games and the companies that develop them to the wiki and my 1000th page happened to be one of them. Strange Cases: the Secrets of Grey Mist Lake was my 1000th page, a generic hidden objects game that is the third in a series.

Beyond 1000

I am sure nobody out there really cares about reading all of this, but for me it is something I want to be able to look back on later when i'm at 1500 or 2000 pages and laugh at how I posted a blog about getting to 1000. I am dedicated to trying to make Giant Bomb the best gaming wiki out there, and encourage anyone else out there who hasn't taken a shot at wiki editing to do so.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By FLStyle

The more dedicated wiki-editors the better, there's a lot of users who mean well but tend to not reach the standards that some of the more prominent editors do, to put it lightly. Here's to your next 1000 pages.

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#3  Edited By Marino  Staff

Nice work, duder. Welcome to the club.

I'm not sure who else is keeping track of the pages they've created.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By beargirl1

inspirational! i love me some wiki editing as well. pretty sure the first page i ever edited with the Breast Bounce page. keep on editin'

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#6  Edited By Marino  Staff

By the way, you should link to your list somewhere in here.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By SexyToad

I only have around 14 D:

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

GG!

Looking at my own list, I've only created 98 pages thus far so I'm certainly a little ways away :P My 'speciality' you could say is mostly supporting/minor characters (notably from Resident Evil games), with a few voice actor pages here and there. I've always wanted to come up with a clever concept page, but should I ever think of one chances are it's already up there. But hey, that only further compliments the impressive thoroughness of the wiki. My lack of creative thinking is probably apart of it, too...

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Hailinel

Nice work!

I know I've got a lot. I just don't know how many. It's not something I've kept track of, and it's unfortunately not a quick and easy stat to look up.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

I have no idea where I stand in terms of wiki pages created on the site because I never bothered keeping track of that. I now kind of regret not doing that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#11  Edited By Hailinel

@ZombiePie said:

I have no idea where I stand in terms of wiki pages created on the site because I never bothered keeping track of that. I now kind of regret not doing that.

We should ask Dave for a "What pages have I created?" button.

Praxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Praxis

Congrats on the milestone. Lord knows people aren't lining up to add hidden object and pachislot pages, so double kudos for doing a dirty job that would most likely remain undone otherwise.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bobafettjm

I edited in a link to the list, which by the way is right here.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thedj93

you are awesome just letting you know its the truth no worries

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#16  Edited By LordAndrew

Once you created a concept page for hidden object games, there was no escape. You're here forever now, buddy.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Nentisys

Keep up the good work!

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Karl_Boss

Like others I have no idea how many pages I have created, I'm guessing its somewhere around 50 though....anyways, congrats dude.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jack268

I've editted a grand total of... 2 pages... I think.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#20  Edited By Mento  Moderator

Kudos! I've got a while to go before I hit that number. Making pages is a lot more work, but it feels more fulfilling than just cleaning up people's typos (though that's important too).

Actually, I'm a little surprised you found so many things to add; that alone is an impressive feat.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bobafettjm

@LordAndrew: Noooooooooo!

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By sodacat

I don't think you can really call them created when the only information you provide is a name. You're adding nothing of value.

EDIT: and by repeating publisher and developer information that's already on the sidebar you're really just gaming the points system. Why you congratulate yourself for this is beyond me. Take pride in the things you've actually made.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#23  Edited By Slag

good lord 1000 pages is a ton.

thanks for your efforts man1

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By ch3burashka
I am sure nobody out there really cares about reading all of this, but for me it is something I want to be able to look back on later when i'm at 1500 or 2000 pages

Absolutely correct. While I'm all gay and happy for you, I think being proud of internet-related achievements is uninteresting in and of itself, but dedicating a blog post solely to your greatness oversteps the boundaries by a great margin. You made it slightly more interesting by pointing out the pages you made with your bare hands, which is greatly more worthy than your forum post number, which others have made blogs about. Pat yourself on the back and move on. This is the fucking internet. None of this will exist in 10 years. During that decade span, more importantly, no one will care.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By bobafettjm

@sodacat: I love you too Mr. Sunshine.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#26  Edited By Brackynews

Congrats you incorrigible beast. Yep, the best thing is not to watch the numbers, just keep on truckin'. I wrote up a little something like this about... 15 pages ago, and I now have about a dozen more pages to draft and link up... wait.. dammit there's another one needed. Ugh. Vicious. My avatar isn't an ouroboros for nothin'!

As long as I can stay in the Top 100 for points I'm happy. Don't think my life will permit more than that. :) I will continue to do my best at beating you to everynewpinballtable. En guarde!! (Also will somebody for the love of god please help with Black Hole? I'm busy trying to get a Billion on Bride of Pinbot. >_<) GB TEAM PINBALLERS.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bobafettjm

@Brackynews: I am not really that into the whole wiki points thing, it has gotten to the part where I rarely check on that. My next big goal I feel like I want to do is go back and fill in as much information as I can on those pinball pages, which is something that I feel is harder to do than other games.

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By mscupcakes

Wow, that's pretty awesome. I've edited a pretty good chunk of pages but after reading this you've given me something to aspire to!

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iam3green

congrats on that. you must of done a hell of a lot of edits.

when i think of a page to edit, somebody already beat me to it. i get sad. i don't think about it.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Hizang

Great Job, your name pops up quite a lot on Banjo-Kazooie pages..

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By xpgamer7

I wanted to start doing pages, but every time it's become a failure. I tried editing the Rogue Trooper remake for the wii. I copy pasted the original Rogue Trooper entry, then rewrote everything that didn't apply to the new one and added new concepts and things that were added with the process. I attached pages and thought it looked nice. My edit was overruled as plagarism. I tried PMing about it but never got a reply. I also tried to do one for Cargo but half assed by just researching it and not playing. That one was more deserved. I often can't think of a game that would need wiki work (despite finding pages that do) and my past issues have kept me from really doing it. As a semi active member I know the mods are cool guys just like the community, I just haven't had a good experience with the wiki.

fuzzypumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fuzzypumpkin

I have yet to contribute. Don't hate me please. I'm sure I'll get around to it someday.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#33  Edited By LordAndrew

@Xpgamer7: The rule is to write original content. Unfortunately, not following this rule is called "plagiarism", whether it's truly plagiarism or not. Just write your own stuff without copying and pasting and you should be okay. In this case, you can point to the page for the original and then just discuss what's new or changed in this version.

Writing about games you haven't played is possible, but you need to be careful that what you're saying is correct and not go too far. I wrote the content on the Rondo of Swords page without playing the game, because a task requested it. It's not a lot, but everything there was supported by my sources and it all all looked much more straightforward than Cargo. Hopefully someone with firsthand experience will one day fill it out further.

ahab88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By ahab88

Sweetness. It's people like you that really make this place special. I wish I had the time, dedication and knowledge to help improve the community and the site a fraction of what you have. Congratulations.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#35  Edited By musubi

@AjayRaz: Of course it was. xD

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By takashichea

Congratulations! I'm not an avid wiki page creator, and I'm more about making articles since I don't really know a lot of games, sadly.

snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#37  Edited By snide

Congrats duder! That's quite an accomplishment.

Halos_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#38  Edited By Halos_god

@sodacat: I hate you

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bobafettjm

@Halos_god: Hey now, no being mean.

Halos_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#40  Edited By Halos_god

@bobafettjm said:

@Halos_god: Hey now, no being mean.

Why? He is irritating me!

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By laserbolts

Congrats?

VirtualE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By VirtualE

Congratulations to you good sir!

I must say that this is really helpful for newcomers like myself. I've got mad love for games of all sorts, so when I found this community and learned of its tireless quest, I was ecstatic to join. But I'm still muddling through and haven't really found my place - a "niche" per se. Sharing your personal experience has helped me learn how to better focus my efforts, as I'm sure it has for other. And for that, I thank you. THANK YOU.