Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By babylonian
No Caption Provided

Hey! Guess where I am?

Today was the first day of my internship here at Whiskey Media, and so far, things are just swell. Like any good (read: overexcited) intern, I showed up to my first day of work 45 minutes early and kind of just sat around until Sean Coonce showed up and let me in. After setting all my belongings down, I promptly checked in on foursquare, inadvertently ousting Matt Rorie as the office's Mayor. WHOOPS / GREAT.

My week 1 intern duties include doing trailers and promos for Anime Vice, doing a little bit of manual labor and keeping the coffee flowing. Ethan assures me my duties will get more fun over the course of the next two months, but theotherfourinterns assure me that Ethan is a liar. (They didn't actually say that.)

No Caption Provided

As much as a pain in the ass as actually moving from North Carolina to San Francisco was (short version: my flights were delayed and my luggage was temporarily lost), it's awesome to be here. I made sure to bring with me many culinary bribes to ensure that everyone loved me right away, and so far, it's working: Ryan is currently drinking some of the NC-exclusive Cheerwine soda I took here with me, and Steve seems quietly thrilled about the 3rd Degree Burn Scorchin' Habanero Doritos I brought him. Success!

All told, today was pretty damn productive considering I just got here: I posted a video to Anime Vice,created a few wiki tasks on Giant Bomb, and cleaned the whole entire kitchen! Gettin' things DONE, you guys.

It was also pretty productive considering the power went out for a while. Like, all the way out. Much as it did in the original Giant Bomb offices back in 2009, the lights simultaneously went out and all the non-laptop technology in the office completely stopped working (power outages tend to have that effect). With no lights and no clear ETA on when they'd be back on, two things happened: we shot a Kessler Kam episode (expect that later this week) and Ryan had me perform the classic intern task of leaving to get him lunch. It didn't quite go as perfectly as I would have liked, but it turns out that Ryan Davis is not the wrathful, unforgiving god you might expect. He is a lovely person.

And that's kind of my takeaway from Day 1 here at Whiskey: this is an office full of lovely people. The other four interns embraced me with open arms (not literally, thank christ), and all the permanent staff members have been ultrafriendly. Day 1 is just ending, and I'm already looking forward to Day 2. Is that weird?

babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By babylonian
No Caption Provided

Hey! Guess where I am?

Today was the first day of my internship here at Whiskey Media, and so far, things are just swell. Like any good (read: overexcited) intern, I showed up to my first day of work 45 minutes early and kind of just sat around until Sean Coonce showed up and let me in. After setting all my belongings down, I promptly checked in on foursquare, inadvertently ousting Matt Rorie as the office's Mayor. WHOOPS / GREAT.

My week 1 intern duties include doing trailers and promos for Anime Vice, doing a little bit of manual labor and keeping the coffee flowing. Ethan assures me my duties will get more fun over the course of the next two months, but theotherfourinterns assure me that Ethan is a liar. (They didn't actually say that.)

No Caption Provided

As much as a pain in the ass as actually moving from North Carolina to San Francisco was (short version: my flights were delayed and my luggage was temporarily lost), it's awesome to be here. I made sure to bring with me many culinary bribes to ensure that everyone loved me right away, and so far, it's working: Ryan is currently drinking some of the NC-exclusive Cheerwine soda I took here with me, and Steve seems quietly thrilled about the 3rd Degree Burn Scorchin' Habanero Doritos I brought him. Success!

All told, today was pretty damn productive considering I just got here: I posted a video to Anime Vice,created a few wiki tasks on Giant Bomb, and cleaned the whole entire kitchen! Gettin' things DONE, you guys.

It was also pretty productive considering the power went out for a while. Like, all the way out. Much as it did in the original Giant Bomb offices back in 2009, the lights simultaneously went out and all the non-laptop technology in the office completely stopped working (power outages tend to have that effect). With no lights and no clear ETA on when they'd be back on, two things happened: we shot a Kessler Kam episode (expect that later this week) and Ryan had me perform the classic intern task of leaving to get him lunch. It didn't quite go as perfectly as I would have liked, but it turns out that Ryan Davis is not the wrathful, unforgiving god you might expect. He is a lovely person.

And that's kind of my takeaway from Day 1 here at Whiskey: this is an office full of lovely people. The other four interns embraced me with open arms (not literally, thank christ), and all the permanent staff members have been ultrafriendly. Day 1 is just ending, and I'm already looking forward to Day 2. Is that weird?

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#2  Edited By wumbo3000

Dang sounds awesome.  And wow 4 interns??!! I remember the days where having one intern was a big deal.  Sounds exciting and can't wait to here more.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Subjugation

They are picking up a lot of interns. I guess you can't ever have too many whipping boys right?

Edit: Pretty much all of your links to people/profiles are broken. I hope you are reprimanded accordingly.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By hatking

Out of curiosity how did you land the position?  

jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jasta

Glad to hear it was a success, It all sounds pretty exciting for you.

New City, new job, new people, I'd be looking forward to it as well.

babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By babylonian

@weeman105 said:

They are picking up a lot of interns. I guess you can't ever have too many whipping boys right?

Edit: Pretty much all of your links to people/profiles are broken. I hope you are reprimanded accordingly.

Weird! All the links work just fine on the identical version of this post on my blog. I think the new editor uses /.../ if the root is the same, which in this case works fine on profile pages, but not on the forums.

@HatKing said:

Out of curiosity how did you land the position?

I flew out here and interviewed with Ethan a couple months ago. I think part of why he offered me the interview was because I made those silly "NEVER." and "STRAP IT ON." videos everyone seemed to like so much.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By EuanDewar

Was Coonce wearing a tracksuit? Actually don't answer that, I don't want to be disappointed.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By artofwar420

Glad to hear Ryan didn't annihilated you, yet. Have fun dawg!

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Kyreo

@Babylonian said:

@weeman105 said:

Weird! All the links work just fine on the identical version of this post on my blog. I think the new editor uses /.../ if the root is the same, which in this case works fine on profile pages, but not on the forums.

@HatKing said:

Out of curiosity how did you land the position?

I flew out here and interviewed with Ethan a couple months ago. I think part of why he offered me the interview was because I made those silly "NEVER." and "STRAP IT ON." videos everyone seemed to like so much.

Aw fuck that was you? Man those videos are great. You deserve that spot!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

Love seeing North Carolina represented. Brad should treat his homeboy well or give you hell. Good luck and learn something while you're there.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kyreo

Also, this sounds pretty rad. I expect daily blogs about your evil overlord Ryan Davis.

Also, Also, this is my 3333rd post. I found that weird.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By turboman

@Claude said:

Love seeing North Carolina represented. Brad should treat his homeboy well or give you hell. Good luck and learn something while you're there.

hell yeah!

.... ok I live 30 minutes from NC... so I call myself a North Carolinian every once in a while.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By mracoon

Congrats on the internment.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

congrats man sounds awesome

ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShadowKing7

Yay for more North Carolina representation!  Congrats on getting the job, dude.
Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Rockanomics

@mracoon said:

Congrats on the internment.

I can't tell if this a joke or not, I hope it is.

Also you look like Griffin McElroy of Joystiq/MBMBaM fame.

And I'm jealous.

On all accounts.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By matoya

Why does WM have so many interns at once?

babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By babylonian

@Matoya said:

We're actually in sort of a transitional period right now; as I enter the fold this week, it's simultaneously Corey's last week here this summer, as per Ethan's blog post. For a better of explanation than that, you'd have to ask the folks in charge!

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#19  Edited By benpack

Great Job!

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

SHIIIIT!!!!!!!!!!

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Which part of North Carolina are you from? I'm in Spring Lake (right next to Fayetteville/Fort Bragg) and will be flying out to the Whiskey Media offices in a couple of days to watch the Happy Hour.

Also, what do interns do about living arrangements? I've always been curious.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By hockeymask27

Very cool.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Grillbar

@Babylonian:

hey thats cool gratz on that. now GET BACK TO WORK

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24  Edited By wefwefasdf

Great! It is awesome seeing members of the community working at the Whiskey Media offices. Good luck!

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RobotHamster

Awesome, good luck with everything!

Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, uh, no reason, but are there any pictures of you in front of a green anywhere on the internet?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By Brendan

I just came on here to say that I really like the word "Kingtern".

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#28  Edited By Yanngc33

keep those wiki tasks flowing :D

GuardianKnux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29  Edited By GuardianKnux

Sounds awesome man. I'm coming up for the live show on Friday, I can't wait to check out the office.

xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By xMP44x

Congratulations on the job, and enjoy it! Sounds like a fun place to be!

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cooljammer00

Hey, I have family from Asheville, NC. I think they work for the city, or something.

Good luck with your Whiskey Media Internship, or Whiskey Internship, or Whi-nternship.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By sparklykiss

I love how on your first day you knocked the power out. You interns suck at being careful and responsible!

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

@Babylonian said:

@weeman105 said:

Your next task - shout at the engineers about that bug. Go on, you know you want to.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@wumbo3000 said:
Dang sounds awesome.  And wow 4 interns??!! I remember the days where having one intern was a big deal.  Sounds exciting and can't wait to here more.
Yeah but they get payed jack squat.
Khadyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Khadyn

@artofwar420 said:

Glad to hear Ryan didn't annihilated you, yet. Have fun dawg!

Are you sure Ryan didn't do anything behind closed doors? I know I would have hit him if he fucked up my rice lunch...JUST KIDDING!!! Seriously, congrats on the Intern Job!

spctre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By spctre

Way to go, dude! Enjoy your internship.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Seedofpower

You look like a guy I know, but you are not that guy. Thus, I am disappointed.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sambambo

You seem like a potentially likeable intern.

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bgrngod

It's now day 2...

YOUR MANDATORY REPORT IS LATE!!!!

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By chilibean_3

Cheerwine is everywhere around Northern California these days. It's great! Hope the internship goes well for you.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By wumbo3000
@TheDudeOfGaming said:
@wumbo3000 said:
Yeah but they get payed jack squat.
True, but in my opinion it's more about the experience than the money.  Working with those guys just seems plain fun.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, why are there so many interns? It's madness! Surely there aren't THAT many sandwiches to be fetched?!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61
deactivated-5d61ff6f14b61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

I was born and raised in West Virginia. Still live here as a matter of fact. A few local shops sell Cheerwine. Not sure how the distribution works out--maybe they order it online, maybe they drive down there and pick it up...who knows. All I know is that that I have direct access to that sweet red awesome-sauce.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#44  Edited By EpicSteve

@Babylonian said:

@Matoya said:

We're actually in sort of a transitional period right now; as I enter the fold this week, it's simultaneously Corey's last week here this summer, as per Ethan's blog post. For a better of explanation than that, you'd have to ask the folks in charge!

Then I'll be there next week.

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ryan  Staff

What the fuck, why would you assume I was going to be mean? I GUESS IT'S TIME FOR A LITTLE WISH-FULFILLMENT UP IN THIS BITCH, NEW GUY.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#46  Edited By Brackynews

gg duder! Keep it rollin'. Also you had better cowboy up and increase your post count. I expect you to break 1k before I do. ;)

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Ryan said:

What the fuck, why would you assume I was going to be mean? I GUESS IT'S TIME FOR A LITTLE WISH-FULFILLMENT UP IN THIS BITCH, NEW GUY.

Well, you did want to destroy the NDX and the Game Room Quick Look, so maybe he assumed that you hated fun :P.
babylonian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By babylonian

@Ryan said:

oh noooooooooooooooooooooo

Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ryan  Staff

@Video_Game_King said:

@Ryan said:

Well, you did want to destroy the NDX and the Game Room Quick Look, so maybe he assumed that you hated fun :P.

Why do you say this to me when you know I will kill you for it?

Pyrgz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Pyrgz

Poor Video_Game_King. Body washed up on a beach in Guam five weeks later. His family couldn't even identify the mangled body.