Report: Hideo Kojima Starting New Studio With Former Konami Employees [UPDATED]

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I hope it's a tactical espionage game, with an emphasis on stealth, about the conflict between tiny robots and every game centers on stopping a human that's been weaponized by the bad side of the tiny robots.

"Huh, Metal Gear Steve?" one of the tiny robots would say, if the human was named Steve.

Did you mail this to yourself first? You might have a hit on your hands.

chapternine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ha, I lost it on the "Did you know part"

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#253  Edited By hassun
Avatar image for steelknight2000
steelknight2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I guess we'll be playing PS4 games in 2021.

TheTrekkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By TheTrekkie

Was hoping to see if he would get into the film business. However this is far better.

TheTrekkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC is in such a good position as a neutral third party, I hope it stays this way for a little while longer though I do wonder when Sony and Microsoft will start to see PC as a threat.

PC will never be a serious threat with big AAA titles unless buggy PC ports become rare and everyone can upgrade their graphics cards or GPU every three years.

J23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@gaspower said:
@j23 said:
@gaspower said:
"I'm curious to see what will come from this. Maybe it's cynical--or maybe it's just a sign of the times--but I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Kojima on stage at E3 announcing a Kickstarter campaign"

Man, @austin_walker, that was the first that came to my mind the moment I saw the headline.

I don't know, I feel like Kojima is still a well-known enough, relevant dev for Sony or another publisher to fund him for a game. The Kickstarter route makes more sense for niche games like Shenmue that publishers don't feel like they'll get a big return on. I can only imagine a triple-A story-based Kojima franchise would do pretty well, especially after MGSV.

To be fair, I'd take the more honed in story of the first act of MGS V and really good gameplay mechanics in a new game.

I kind of regret that I wasn't able to play Zone of the Enders the first time around but if Kojima's new game would be a mecha or better yet a throwback to his older projects, I'd be really stoked.

EDIT: My take away from this is Andrew House being fluent in Japanese. It was pretty pleasant watching the entire thing with him and Kojima on the same couch.

Also I'm kinda digging Kojima's facial hair.

To be fair, most of the second act messiness in MGSV was because Konami rushed Kojima. As long as Sony gives him a blank check and a fair bit of time, whatever he does next should be as polished as any other AAA title.

I'm going to do some really blind speculation on the new logo for Kojima Productions and say it kind of reminds me of some sort of space marine or cyborg so mecha might not be too far off...

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hope its a combat based racing game. think crash team racing or mario kart.that would be swell

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@grixxel said:
@excitable_misunderstood_genius said:

I hope it's a tactical espionage game, with an emphasis on stealth, about the conflict between tiny robots and every game centers on stopping a human that's been weaponized by the bad side of the tiny robots.

"Huh, Metal Gear Steve?" one of the tiny robots would say, if the human was named Steve.

My post is time stamped which is as good as a patent. I don't think I have anything to worry about.

I've run into a bit of a snag with the project though in how hard it has been to sexualize tiny robots in a way the mainstream consumer would accept. Still, the work continues.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By kasaioni

@j23: Yeah, I hope whatever game they do next continues Kojima's passion for science-fiction inspired gadgets and tech. He did say for MGSV that a lot of that stuff was inspired by 80's sci-fi. I.e. the iDroid, the robot arm. (Which is why I always ignore people who complain about things not being possible for the time a Metal Gear games takes place; that's not the point).

His explanation for the logo is something like it represents "pioneering spirit" through technology and the future. Because it looks like a cross between a medieval knight's helmet, and a space suit or something.

ezdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The day has finally come, people. A Kojima without franchise obligations? What will he make? What personal, wicked agendas will he subversively feed us? Will Sony successfully keep him from taking six years to realize his first game under the new empire? This might be the healthiest Kojima I've ever witnessed. Yaaz.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@j23 said:

To be fair, most of the second act messiness in MGSV was because Konami rushed Kojima. As long as Sony gives him a blank check and a fair bit of time, whatever he does next should be as polished as any other AAA title.

I thought it wasn't clear what actually happened with MGSV? As far as I know, no one has ever spoken about it publicly, all we really know is that things were cut. I know it's cool to hate Konami and everyone loves Kojima, but...yeah.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By onarum

@thetrekkie: the buggy PC ports are buggy because they're ports, wouldn't be the case if PC was the primary platform, also you speak as if every single PC game that comes out is buggy as hell, with the exception of dark knight I can't think of any major release that had problems on the PC but was relatively flawless on consoles.

Also also I guarantee you 100% that someone with a gtx 680 (released 2012) can play any (decently made) multiplatform game with at least the same if not better visual quality and better performance than any console.

edit: also also also just to clarify, i actually agree with you that at the very least it will take a good while before PC becomes a real threat for consoles, but I only thought your reasons were wrong, for me the reason is way simpler, yo consoles are cheap and brain dead easy to operate period, even building what I would consider a low end system that could have at least comparable IQ and performance to consoles would still cost more than said consoles so... I still think it's the better deal because you can do a whole lot more than play games with a PC.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Shinkawa told IGN he’ll be overseeing the entirety of Kojima Productions’ art, including "characters, concepts for the backgrounds, concepts for the mechs," and more.

He said the M-word!.

BluPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean we all figured this but I'm happy that Kojima has something going. A world without his weird take on life is a world I don't want to live in.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j23: To be fair, there have been reports in the past that Kojima would often go over the budget in past projects.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By davidh219

My dreams have come true. Kojima has finally broken free of Metal Gear and is gonna make something new. I couldn't be more excited. Fuck my mind, Kojima. Fuck it so good.

Benmo316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A console-exclusive deal is fine with me if that means Sony will help Kojima Productions get up and running and support the process. Hopefully the next game in development from them will be available on everything. Also, reading between the lines, it seems this new title could come to PC, so that's exciting. And I really like the new Kojima Productions logo.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#269  Edited By s10129107

This seems like great news. Looks like a good fit and i'd love to finally see a new franchise out of this man.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike: Exactly. It really irks me that people assume that it was all Konami's fault, and not just a creative decision. Like how people always assume that it's because Sutherland was expensive that Snake doesn't talk as much, after Kojima explicit said that Snake doesn't talk much because he wanted Snake to be a conduit for the player this time; which is further supported by the end of the game itself. So many assumptions.

myheadsonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heck yeah. Psyched to see whatever Kojima and his band of Konami-escapees come up with.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

breaking news, man with head has skull

@lttibbles said:

Obviously these don't mean anything but I still think it's neat.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

That is one metal-ass logo.

I know he's an ego maniac but I wish he came up with better name for his studio. But I guess it's more about brand recogonition than anything and Kojima definately made a name for himself.

xbob42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@benmo316 said:

A console-exclusive deal is fine with me if that means Sony will help Kojima Productions get up and running and support the process. Hopefully the next game in development from them will be available on everything. Also, reading between the lines, it seems this new title could come to PC, so that's exciting. And I really like the new Kojima Productions logo.

"Console exclusive" these words tend to very clearly convey a PC version these days. Otherwise it would just be a "PS4 exclusive."

FightMeNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I can't wait to see his next movie.

Avatar image for clockwork_saint
Clockwork_saint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By Clockwork_saint

End of the Zoners: Serpent Zero S.Q.U.A.D.

Coming 2018, right?

Come on, Hideo!! Hit us with sutin good, brotha

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xbob42 said:
@benmo316 said:

"Console exclusive" these words tend to very clearly convey a PC version these days. Otherwise it would just be a "PS4 exclusive."

What if it's a P.T. clone for VR?

jigenese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

I'm excited to see what he delivers. I'm happy to see he has Sony's support also. Whether it's Sony or Microsoft, I don't really care; just as long as he has a company with deep pockets to fund whatever it is that he's going to create next.

Good news!

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: While it's been pretty clear that they're making a console game, I would be into that if it was the same quality as P.T. I just wonder if it can be made to look and run as well without the Fox Engine.

reelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zolroyce said:
@mathj said:

silent.hills.please. ?

"I am pleased to announce my newest game today, Hushed Mounds!"

"I am pleased to announce my newest game today, Quiet Mountains!"

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reelife said:
@zolroyce said:
@mathj said:

silent.hills.please. ?

"I am pleased to announce my newest game today, Mute Piles!"

misfittoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Andrew House just became more of a boss in my eyes. The guy speaks Japanese?! Anyway, looking forward to their collaboration. I'm glad that Kojima has a home. Bye, Konami.

Is it too soon to hope that we'd hear something...anything about what he's working on by E3 2016?

misfittoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@austin Of course I know about Zone of Enders! How else do you think I played the Metal Gear Solid 2 demo?? As a side note, ZoE was an interesting game but that demo was hella fun.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

THAT is an impressive logo.

@reelife said:
@zolroyce said:
@mathj said:

silent.hills.please. ?

I am here to announce my new game: Stealth Molehills!

nofzac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@misfittoy: It looks like he started in Tokyo at Sony doing Corp Communications which explains the fluency in Japanese. I honestly didnt know much about him..according to Wikipedia the guy graduated from Oxford.

vr00m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ps4 Boktai

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rongaryen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm looking forward to Kojima's new franchise, Pinion Alloy. It's going to be a Diplomatic Spying Secrecy game.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Please make a sequel to Snatcher. It's all I want for christmas.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#291  Edited By Brackynews

@dudeglove said:

I wanted him to start like a coffee chain

Kohii-jima? "It's Pretty Good."

• I'll get one large Did-ju-spike-it
  • Two medium Liquid Caff-a-lot
  • Xtra-large Chaff Grenade, High Alert
  • A small Double-Trouble with extra nanomachines
  • And uhh... gimme two of those Rookie Eyes.

Or his smoothie chain, Zone of the Blenders.

spacepuddled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The king is dead, long live the king!

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty smart for Sony. I was expecting MS to jump on that

headcase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just going to call them Treasure 2, which is a compliment because Treasure is awesome.

ZosoZep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undeadpool:

THAT is an impressive logo.

@monkeyman04 said:
@reelife said:
@zolroyce said:
@mathj said:

silent.hills.please. ?

I am here to announce my new game: Stealth Molehills!

"I am pleased to announce my newest game today, Inaudible Slopes!"

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, as soon as Kojima's work starts appearing on the PC he's taken away from us... well, I guess I have to buy a PS4 sometime anyway.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By kasaioni

@nonesun: "A Kojima Productions Q&A posted by PlayStation's EU Community Manager has confirmed that Kojima's new project will be coming to PC, but only after a stint on PS4."

The Q&A was taken down not longer afterwards, likely because (as Morrison speculates), Playstation wants to have a moment in the spotlight.

Also, the Youtube video's description says "console exclusive" to Playstation. And people were thinking that that means it will eventually come to PC too, otherwise it would say "PS4 exclusive".

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kasaioni: Oh wow, that's great news thanks. That's cool of Sony to do that, but it's probably more that they couldn't offer enough money to keep it exclusive I guess. And yeah I think you're right about that "console exclusive" thing, they've been using that term in that way for a while now.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

@grixxel said:
@excitable_misunderstood_genius said:

My post is time stamped which is as good as a patent. I don't think I have anything to worry about.

I've run into a bit of a snag with the project though in how hard it has been to sexualize tiny robots in a way the mainstream consumer would accept. Still, the work continues.

Hmmm...I'm just spitballing here, but maybe a side character has a throaway line about how the tiny robot lady needs to gain solar energy and thus can't wear clothing that would block UV radiation from empowering her nano-skin or she would lose her power?

No need to thank me, just send me a check for this idea.