2009 NFL Discussion Thread

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#1051  Edited By Karmum

Hate to say it, but I'm glad I picked against the Giants.

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1052  Edited By Shocker

I really wish i was  home to change some of my picks, like the colts and saints haha

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1053  Edited By Karmum

Texans pushing the envelope? I hope so, they deserve it.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1054  Edited By Karmum

Even if the Texans win this game (which seems likely), they need both the Ravens and Broncos to lose to make the playoffs. Which seems unlikely. Which also means even if the Steelers win, they won't make it in, which is awesome.

Pat White suffered a head injury, Wes Welker suffered a knee injury and Tom Brady has broken ribs.

Both Henne and White got injured. Game stopped for eight minutes, I hope it isn't serious. The more head injuries you hear, the more demand for concussion treatment you will hear about as well.

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1055  Edited By Shocker

Changing my picks to Arizona and Dallas

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1056  Edited By Karmum

Will be 7-2 by the time 1PM games are over. PIT looks like they will score, HOU looks like they have won, CHI has their game locked up, and SF is trashing STL.

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1057  Edited By Shocker

Going to be 5-4 haha. oh well

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1058  Edited By Karmum

Watching this BAL game very attentively. They win, they're in, and PIT, HOU and NYJ are out. Basically: BAL wins and it makes picking CIN/NYJ a bit harder.

Mainly because will NYJ still try and gun for 9-7? Will CIN decide to jump NE for a better seeding now that NE is 10-6?

Edit - Didn't know there were 2 playoff spots at stake, not one. NYJ would still play for a spot.

I think PIT needs for all three to lose to get a spot. Yahoo Playoff Scenario has PIT in if DEN & BAL win, but if NYJ lose. This is confusing as shit.

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1059  Edited By Shocker

I am so confused about all these playoff scenarios haha

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1060  Edited By Karmum

Looks like the Ravens will win, Broncos are out, leaving Houston with a playoff shot. If Jets lose, Texans are in. Since it looks like the Ravens are going to win, Steelers are automatically knocked out of contention. They needed BAL, DEN (who will lose), and NYJ to lose. All three.

Man, Jamaal Charles of the Chiefs has 259 rushing yards. About 6 minutes left.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1061  Edited By Karmum

Broncos aren't coming back, DAL won (good for the Vikings), Green Bay won, both the Titans and Chargers pulled through, and the Ravens won.

12-3 before the CIN/NYJ game.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1062  Edited By jkz

12-3 right now. Was really hoping the Ravens would flounder, since we don't deserve to make the playoffs (we got lucky with an easy schedule). Oh wellz.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1063  Edited By Karmum

I'm looking at the standings right now, and let's just say regardless of the CIN/NYJ outcome, there is going to be at least one tie.

Where is it? Well, that's something I won't say, but I'm sure you can guess where.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1064  Edited By jkz
@Karmum said:
" I'm looking at the standings right now, and let's just say regardless of the CIN/NYJ outcome, there is going to be at least one tie.  Where is it? Well, that's something I won't say, but I'm sure you can guess where. "
Yes....it appears that it is now you and I tied, instead of shocker and myself....*groan*
Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1065  Edited By Shocker

9-6. Ouch

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1066  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

GO PACK GO!

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1067  Edited By Karmum

I'm tempted to change my pick from NYJ to CIN, just to see what happens.

I bet that CIN will win, and I'll keep my NYJ pick. That would frustrate me. NYJ losing would be nice, though, allowing the (in my opinion) more deserving Texans to squeeze in.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1068  Edited By Milkman

13-3 was about as good as an end as I could have hoped for. Whether that's good enough, I have no idea.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1069  Edited By Karmum

Hey duders, I'll tally up the final standings, scores, and update the original post with the postseason matchups, just in case anyone wants to know what they are. Going back to school (I know, right!) today, so we'll have to wait and see!

After all that fun stuff is done, I'll have my own final thoughts on the season, and we'll discuss (we being the winners and I) about prizes. Yes, they're still on, but some might just take some time.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#1070  Edited By dethfish

Damn it, I went 10-6 and blew my chance at getting 3rd.

Avatar image for deactivated-65d51c2303ca6
deactivated-65d51c2303ca6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@jukezypoo:
I don't think we had an easy schedule at all. Sure we had some throw away games but every team does. We had to play the leaders of four different divisions (NE, IND, MIN, SD) and of course the Bengals and Steelers which are very rarely easy teams to beat. Do I think we played the best football we could have? No of course not, but a seat in the playoffs is a seat in the playoffs.
SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1072  Edited By SamStrife
@jukezypoo: Woah woah woah, we in no way had an easy schedule, specially when compared to teams like Pittsburgh.  5 of our 7 losses was to division winning teams.  Not what I call a free ride.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1073  Edited By jkz
@ProlificShadow said:
" @jukezypoo:I don't think we had an easy schedule at all. Sure we had some throw away games but every team does. We had to play the leaders of four different divisions (NE, IND, MIN, SD) and of course the Bengals and Steelers which are very rarely easy teams to beat. Do I think we played the best football we could have? No of course not, but a seat in the playoffs is a seat in the playoffs. "
@SamStrife said:
" @jukezypoo: Woah woah woah, we in no way had an easy schedule, specially when compared to teams like Pittsburgh.  5 of our 7 losses was to division winning teams.  Not what I call a free ride. "
You're both right, I guess. That was just my bitterness spilling over, because I like to see teams that play well make the playoffs over ones that didn't; I think that the Dolphins clearly had the hardest schedule of any team I know of, and I really did feel like they deserved to make it, since I felt like they played consistently better football than either us or the Jets; simply wasn't meant to be however, oh well.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1074  Edited By Karmum

Working on the standings right....now.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1075  Edited By Karmum
@jukezypoo:@Shocker:@Milkman: 

Alright guys, not going to do the usual huge ass statement as I usually do. Kind of busy, so I will make this quick. Everyone who got 13-3 this week was this week's winner, which I believe is Milkman (listed) and jukezypoo (listed), not including myself. I'm going to make this quick, and I will post my final thoughts on this season within the next few days. Congratulations to the people getting this reply, because (also in this order), they all placed in the top three!

1st - Jukezypoo (I will never spell this right) (185 wins)
2nd - Shocker (181 wins)
3rd - Milkman (177 wins)

Milkman slid into that final spot with his good record, leaving a few 174 win people behind him. Good job to all three of you! Obviously I'm not including myself in this list. To these three dudes, I'll PM all three of you together, then PM you each individually. Have to talk about the prizes and what is going to go down.

Playoff schedule will be put up either later today or tomorrow. It will be before the playoffs start. Feel free to make predictions, picks, etc., but I'm not going to hold anything for the post-season. At least, not prize-wise (rhyme, eh?). Thanks for everyone that participated, and I'll give a shout out to everyone else in my "Final Thoughts!"
Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1076  Edited By Shocker

congrats jukezypoo

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#1077  Edited By AgentJ

Well, maybe I'll do better next year. See you in August!

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1078  Edited By Karmum
@Shocker: 
You got my message, right?
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1079  Edited By Karmum

Alright duders, a much more quiet day for me today. If that rhymed, I didn't intend it to. Here is my thoughts on this NFL season:

Thoughts On Participation

Simply put: wow. I can't believe the amount of users we had participate throughout the whole season, and the amount that made it all 17 weeks. I understand that it's hard for people to get on, and remember to make picks, no doubt. 17 Weeks of picking is hard to remember, and let alone 17 weeks of trying to have the best record you possibly can. It's impressive, very impressive. I'm not trying to knock on last year's topic, but it's good to say that this topic made it through the whole 17 weeks. There were times that I didn't even want to bother updating the standings and schedule, especially when I would accidentally exit out of the browser. It sucks, it really fucking sucks. But it wasn't about me: it's about you guys. The ones I know who try their best and participate every single week. I would stop my bitching and push through with the statistics, scores, and standings, because I know it would pay off in the end. If there were people who would participate, I would continue, no matter what. Even if it was just one other person.

Not everybody made it through, but I can understand that. It's crazy to see that the original topic has more views and posts, but of participants (both short-term and long-term) was much greater here. It's this noticeable activity that makes me wish that I could have awarded more prizes. I'm not big into materials and items, but I do like to keep some money to myself. Shocking, right? I would have loved to award more places, because we had a dog fight below 3rd place. I would have loved to give out much bigger prizes, because I know the awards would suit the amount of activity that has been shown in this topic. I'm not trying to promote this topic for my benefit, but for you dudes. It's a topic that you can make some picks, talk about the games, and maybe even sometimes rage when your team goes 5-0 and blows it from there (I'm talking about you, Giants). I never saw any hostility outside the uncommon heated debate, and that's the way it should be. How many other topics do you see in the forums that are like that? You guys are what made this topic, I'm just the guy that calculates the easy standings and updates the schedule, most of which was actually done by CitizenKane. I could go on for even more paragraphs about what you guys did to make this great, but I know I will repeat myself and nobody wants to read that. Basically, you guys made this topic what it is, and when NFL Sunday came around, it was full of activity. Not a huge amount, but just enough. Imagine what's going to happen once playoffs start roaring up.

Thoughts On The NFL Season

It's been an interesting NFL Season, in my opinion. Even if my Giants missed the narrowly, and I'm throwing that term around loosely. An interesting season doesn't necessarily mean it was a good one, being marred by several different tragedies, controversies, and deaths. The death of former Eagles' DC Jim Johnson, WR Chris Henry, and that coach for the Bengals (who I cannot remember), are just a few that come to mind in terms of deaths. The controversy about concussions has been frequently popping up, which is something that I think that needs to be addressed. I know a few kids in my school that have concussions, and the amount of time that my school holds them back from sports. It's kind of hard for me to talk about the actual season specifically. We saw two teams nearly run the table to become undefeated, and one I believe that should be undefeated, the Indianapolis Colts. You have the Jets and the Bills, perhaps one of the easiest two games to win. The Jets are good, but aren't that great. The Bills...come on.

Seeing Brett Favre being as good as he has been this season was kind of a feel-good moment for me. I'm not a fan of his off-the-field antics, charades and news stories, but on the field, he gets the job done. When (it seems obvious) he retries this year, are you going to remember the headlines he made in the summer, the semi-controversial news story with his coach, or the incredible plays he made this year? It'll be hard to top Favre throwing that incredible TD pass to defeat the 49ers, or Favre, on the last play against the Bears a week ago throwing a TD to get into OT. They didn't win that game, but that wasn't Favre's fault. We also saw, in my opinion, the emergence of several teams. The Jets, who are in the playoffs, were one. The Bengals and Texans are two more, and the Bengals made the playoffs and won their division. The Texans though, unfortunately, didn't. They are one of the teams in my opinion that are bound to break out. Haven't they had back-to-back 8-8 seasons before this 9-7 one? To think, if they beat the Jets in Week 1, they would be in the playoffs right now. Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson in the playoffs? What an underdog they would have been.

Thoughts On Next Year

Yes, believe it or not, I'm looking toward next year. I have massive plans for the 2010 iteration, some of which that should have made it in this topic. It's like that iPod or Zune you buy, and already know that the year afterward a more "better" version will be released. This is that case, but all of this is free. I'm not trying to knock what I did this year, but in terms of aesthetics and actual information, it sucks. Cool, I got the standings and schedules, but that's it? Where is the records for the team, rosters, injury reports and news feeds on the front? Yeah, that's right. Anybody who has intentions to come back next (well, in September) for the next topic, expect some serious changes. I'd love to make a second topic, but I'm always up for somebody stepping up to the plate. I just don't think that I can get away with what I did this year, especially with the potential next year has. Giant Bomb is expanding, and what are the chances that we will have more active users by September? I'd say chances are high, and that means we also might have more users in an NFL topic. Some old faces, and some new ones.

I envision the look for September's topic in my head, and it looks really nice. The question is can I step up to the plate and deliver? Well, that's something that I'm worried about. I watched people make picks they regret, mainly because "I didn't even know this player was going to be out half the game." That could easily be erased with a news feed or more updates about injuries. Easily. It's going to be tough, but it's something that I think will bring everything to a full circle. Somebody entering this topic sees a schedule and standings. Great. I want new people to stop in, and I want people to come back, and the topic is going to need some color and jazz to bring those people back. You'd figure by the time the Super Bowl ends and this topic dies, I would be glad to not worry about any updates or reminding everyone to make their picks. Whilst that is true, I also have that urge to lace up my gloves, per say, and step back into the ring and do it all over again. I think you can tell how much I want the next iteration to be great.

What's the catch? I'm going to be even more busy than I was this year: it's my Senior year of High School. I'm confident that I can juggle both. As long as you're all along for the ride, I'm in.
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1080  Edited By dethfish
@Karmum: I think you did a great job of organizing this whole thing.
Bansheesdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1081  Edited By Bansheesdie

To start off I am a die-hard Arizona Cardinals fan, have been my entire life. Even in the mid 90s when we were the worst team in the league. 

That's why this really, really hurts - why would the Cardinals do that?  

http://espn.go.com/nfl/injuries/_/team/ari/arizona-cardinals

Boldin (left ankle, left knee) is more likely to be traded than re-signed this offseason, the Arizona Republic reports.    

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1082  Edited By Karmum

Manning won his record 4th MVP title. I don't think he should have won by the amount he did, his stats in comparison weren't much different to the other QBs voted for (Favre, Brees, Rivers). Don't get me wrong, he is the best QB in the NFL right now, but him winning by as much as he did is kind of weird.

Oh, and, Tom Brady did NOT deserve Comeback Player of the Year. Come on.

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1083  Edited By Shocker

I think the Bengals will end up winning this game.

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1084  Edited By Shocker

Okay, I was wrong.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1085  Edited By dethfish

Pete Carrol will probably be the next Seahawks coach. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1086  Edited By Karmum

Although the Eagles losing is great, I was kind of upset that the Cowboys so called "playoff curse" ended. Wouldn't have minded seeing Mr. Wade Phillips getting canned, and hearing about what is wrong with the Cowboys.

Oh, well, the Vikings should spank them next week.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think the cowboys are gonna spank the vikings

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1088  Edited By Shocker

Vikings will dominate. I've been wrong a lot lately, so i don't know anymore ha.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#1089  Edited By citizenkane

Damn, Ray Rice showed some wheels outrunning Meriweather for the TD.

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1090  Edited By Shocker

Ravens are dominating

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1091  Edited By Milkman

This Patriots game is great. I'm loving every minute of this. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Packers vs Cardinals in less than half an hour,  Cheeseheads FTW

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1093  Edited By jkz

Well, we got that game, but sadly, I think our playoff run ends there. We simply don't have the secondary to defend either the Colts's or Chargers's receivers (particularly the chargers), and I don't think we'll be able to produce enough points in the run game to keep up. 

The NFC is really interesting. There really isn't a clear favorite, and I feel like the Cowboys (despite my hatred of them), the Packers, and the Vikings all have a great shot at the super-bowl, and the Saints could certainly surprise me (although I find that doubtful). 

I'm predicting a Vikings-Chargers or Packers-Chargers Super-Bowl, with the Chargers coming out on top in both scenarios.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#1094  Edited By citizenkane

Nice to see Cry Baby Tom Brady and the Patriots get slapped around by the Ravens.  ^__^

Should be a good game between the Cardinals and Packers.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1095  Edited By Karmum

33-14, damn. Knew it was getting out of hand after 24-0.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Karmum said:
" 33-14, damn. Knew it was getting out of hand after 24-0. "
I'm a Colts fan living in New England... damn today was awesome.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1097  Edited By Karmum

Huh, that's funny. I thought the Ravens-Patriots game had ended.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#1098  Edited By CoolDrMoney

I really hope we milked 2001-2004 for all they were worth, because the past five seasons have been nothing but bitter endings.

TheDoorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1099  Edited By TheDoorman

So happy the Patriots lost, me being a buffalo bills fan an all. 

Hope Minnesota, Baltimore or the Colts make it to the superbowl and win.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1100  Edited By Karmum

What a game.

What a game.