A critical accident that happened by mistake. (update)

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

Edited By Tireyo

Ok, Sunday I was updating my dad's 8 year old laptop computer because it's quite a dinosaur. I was installing the Windows XP Service Pack 2 update on his laptop. It didn't install, and it was uninstalling itself. My foot accidentally got caught to the power cord and the power cord came loose from the computer during the installation, so the computer went off because the computer must be plugged into the wall for it to work. When I tried starting it again, it would start like it was supposed to, but then I would get a blue screen with an error message, then the computer would restart itself. Contacted the security people yesterday and told us to look for the operating system disc that came with the computer. So we was expecting a call today to see if the computer can be saved because we did find the disc yesterday, but they never called back. Perhaps tomorrow we''ll give them a call. I highly doubt that the computer will be saved, and something tells me that no one will be able to use it anymore. So, I'm pretty much upset because of that accident happening because we'll be losing a computer.

**Update** The computer was able to be saved, without thanks of the security people. All of the programs that was on the laptop was erased, but I did my best to get back some of the most necessary things back on my dads laptop. All there is to do now is to install the security, and it's ready to roll. Hopefully it won't happen again. I thank you all for trying to help me.**

So, have you made a mistake that made you lose or damage something that cannot be fixed? Perhaps you made a bad mistake, but was lucky enough to solve it or get it fixed? Please share your opinions, comments, stories, or questions that you may have for anyone or me. See you all later, and until next time.

-Ty

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Tireyo

Ok, Sunday I was updating my dad's 8 year old laptop computer because it's quite a dinosaur. I was installing the Windows XP Service Pack 2 update on his laptop. It didn't install, and it was uninstalling itself. My foot accidentally got caught to the power cord and the power cord came loose from the computer during the installation, so the computer went off because the computer must be plugged into the wall for it to work. When I tried starting it again, it would start like it was supposed to, but then I would get a blue screen with an error message, then the computer would restart itself. Contacted the security people yesterday and told us to look for the operating system disc that came with the computer. So we was expecting a call today to see if the computer can be saved because we did find the disc yesterday, but they never called back. Perhaps tomorrow we''ll give them a call. I highly doubt that the computer will be saved, and something tells me that no one will be able to use it anymore. So, I'm pretty much upset because of that accident happening because we'll be losing a computer.

**Update** The computer was able to be saved, without thanks of the security people. All of the programs that was on the laptop was erased, but I did my best to get back some of the most necessary things back on my dads laptop. All there is to do now is to install the security, and it's ready to roll. Hopefully it won't happen again. I thank you all for trying to help me.**

So, have you made a mistake that made you lose or damage something that cannot be fixed? Perhaps you made a bad mistake, but was lucky enough to solve it or get it fixed? Please share your opinions, comments, stories, or questions that you may have for anyone or me. See you all later, and until next time.

-Ty

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

Yeah, that mistake was knocking a 5 year old laptop off a table. It doesn't start anymore...

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

If you have the OS disk, you could always just delete the partition that the OS is on and reinstall. Of course, you lose everything, but the PC should work.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Damian

A month ago my girlfriend spilt beer all over my laptop, killing it instantly. I made the mistake of trusting her basic hand-eye coordination skills.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Tireyo
@Claude: When I tried reinstalling it myself, it told me that it didn't have enough virtual memory to run the computer.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By natetodamax

Smash it with a sledgehammer. Works every time.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By sjschmidt93

One night. Two girls. One condom.  

I'll never look back.  

...No you idiots i had to make a choice.... Geez.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude
@Tireyo643 said:

" @Claude: When I tried reinstalling it myself, it told me that it didn't have enough virtual memory to run the computer. "

No, no. You must go into the boot up programs. You have to delete everything off a partition and start from scratch. I can't remember everything I did. You'll have to educate yourself. Read the link below and good luck.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxpclean1.htm

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tireyo
@Claude: I'll see what the security people can do for us tomorrow. If they can't help, then I'll definitely educate myself and start from scratch, or perhaps dad can do it sense it's his computer. = P
Singeslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Singeslayer

Well, my friend spilled tang on his laptop right in front of me while we were watching an episode of Burn Notice.  Fried his motherboard.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RetroIce4

Delete the corrupt partition. Get a "OS" by you choice. Install OS on the new partition. I have had problems with Vista and putting in Hard Drives. Mainly Windows Hard Manager for partiotion management doesn't like working Sony VAIO's long lost desktops...

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tireyo
@RetroIce4: If only I knew how to delete the corrupt partition. The security guys might do that for me tomorrow.

*My dad's computer is a Gateway! = P And all the other computers in our household is an HP.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

i was working on photoshop for an assignment i had to make multiple things. i made one saved it then i deleted everything from the first thing made a new one saved that on the same document. i did it like 5 more times. when i was done closing photoshop a pop-up came up saying do i want to make the saves. i ended up having the first one being my second one. i was a little mad.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By sjschmidt93
@iam3green: Read it twice and still come up with.... 

"What?"
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By iam3green
@SJSchmidt93: lol me and my typing.  

i had to make like 10 objects in photoshop. in document one i made a circle saved it as circle one, then i deleted the circle and made another circle and made it circle 2. i'm still working on circle 1 but i save it as circle 2. so when i closed it a pop up saying do u want to save changes came up. i clicked yes, so circle 1 had got saved as circle 10. i ended up having two circle 10s. it was something like that.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By crunchUK
@TooWalrus said:
" Yeah, that mistake was knocking a 5 year old laptop off a table. It doesn't start anymore... "
i knocked mine twice off a table. It still works.

Oh and i accidentally threw my xbox360 controller against the wall and the thumbstick broke
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@crunchUK said:
Oh and i accidentally threw my xbox360 controller against the wall and the thumbstick broke "
Yeah, I did something like that once.  I accidentally took a hammer and accidentally started smashing a music cd.
Avatar image for pirate_republic
pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By pirate_republic

Mount the ISO of gparted on a CD ( http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php), run it just as the computer starts to boot, and delete the corrupt partition.

Then, either get the OS disc, or put on linux. Make an ubuntu live cd, pop it into your computer when it boots up so you can try out linux without screwing up your computer or installing anything, if you like it, there's a desktop icon to install it.

That's the techy way to do it, anyways.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By Pie

Put a magnet near my old tv. Managed to fix it though

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@FluxWaveZ said:
"@crunchUK said:
Oh and i accidentally threw my xbox360 controller against the wall and the thumbstick broke "
Yeah, I did something like that once.  I accidentally took a hammer and accidentally started smashing a music cd. "
I accidentally got really pissed off at CoD World at War and accidentally rammed the right side of my 360 controller into the front screen of my cell phone. By accident.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ninjakiller

It can be saved, boot into the BIOS.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ninjakiller
@FluxWaveZ said:
" @crunchUK said:
Yeah, I did something like that once.  I accidentally took a hammer and accidentally started smashing a music cd. "
Really? I'm thinking of accidentally taking a hammer to a 52" HDTV that switches to the tv feed every god damn time the dvr kicks in, especially when i'm in a frantic game of Fat Princess.
halberdierv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By halberdierv2

I just lost my laptop by shutting it off probably at the wrong time; I couldnt see, because the screen was damaged, and as a result, it doesnt even boot up anymore.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tireyo

Thank you everyone for trying to help and it was exactly what I had to do. Hopefully this won't happen again. I have updated the blog for you to see more details on what has happened.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Mourne

I just want you to know I came into this topic expecting a murder or an unintended childbirth.

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ververdan0226

I was at my dad's house over the holiday and was using a laptop. It's a dinosaur, so it was old with little virus protection. I believe I visited IGN, /Film or some tech site, but all of a sudden I started getting these pop-ups one after another nonstop. Like a level 10 virus or something like that. Next thing i know the computer is overrun with this thing and my dad has to explain to his boss why the manual he was writing for work is all of a sudden gone. 

Very strange. And certainly not good.

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By MrSnow
@Damian said:
" A month ago my girlfriend spilt beer all over my laptop, killing it instantly. I made the mistake of trusting her basic hand-eye coordination skills. "
Lol