• 94 results
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Apparently adult tonsillectomies are excruciatingly friggin' painful. I'm having one tomorrow at 6:30 AM, and I'm 29.  I got two weeks off of work  for this shit - the silver lining.

They told me I had to stop smoking and drinking two weeks before the surgery, so I haven't had either since the 26th. This is the longest I've gone without booze in almost a decade.  

I'm using this blog to write down my experiences after each day of recovery.   Two weeks of Hell for a lifetime free from tonsil stones. 

If I don't make it through the anesthesia I want it on record that I demand vengeance.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Apparently adult tonsillectomies are excruciatingly friggin' painful. I'm having one tomorrow at 6:30 AM, and I'm 29.  I got two weeks off of work  for this shit - the silver lining.

They told me I had to stop smoking and drinking two weeks before the surgery, so I haven't had either since the 26th. This is the longest I've gone without booze in almost a decade.  

I'm using this blog to write down my experiences after each day of recovery.   Two weeks of Hell for a lifetime free from tonsil stones. 

If I don't make it through the anesthesia I want it on record that I demand vengeance.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

Not now Biff, the forums are splitting...Bombcast  breaking, etc. 

Bad timing.

Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Ok Biff. We shall avenge you.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@BiffMcBlumpkin: Give us the name of the hospital just in case.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Tireyo

You are certainly a piece of work Biff. Not meaning that in a bad way.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Claude

No Caption Provided
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Daveyo520

I had one when I was a little kid. Good luck Buffy!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Scooper

Can I sponsor you $5 a month to stay off the booze?

......topical!

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By tebbit

What are you talking about!? 

The year is 2053. 

YOU'VE BEEN OUT FOR FOURTY THREE YEARS, BOY!

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By carlthenimrod

I had one a few years ago and as a result I played Bioshock heavily medicated as I recovered.

Anyways, yeah, I'm not going to lie to you, it's going to suck. But once you get over the worst of it you will recover quickly.

GIVEMEREPLAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GIVEMEREPLAY

I had mine out at 18.  

The pain is rough (a great soreness. not enough to make a man cry, but very very sore), but you only start to feel it as the medicine wears off as you near your next dose. I don't know about you but I was completely incapacitated for a full week after the surgery. I could barely move around and I couldn't read at all. I could only watch tv and try to get my health back up.  

Just make sure you don't bust open the scabs, as I've heard a horror story about that. Don't do it.  
 And drink milk to keep your strength up on the first day. I nearly passed out from lack of food after the surgery, but then again im hypoglycemic.  

All the best. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You need to be online more.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MarkWahlberg

There was this one tape of Bill Cosby that we'd play on road trips when I was a kid. He had this one story about a kid who got his tonsils out, and it was awesome cuz he got like, all the ice cream in the fucking world, but then the surgery went horribly wrong and he died and there was blood EVERYWHERE ( I think maybe that was because like 3 other people died too, I dunno, I haven't listened to it in like a decade).

I guess my point is that Bill Cosby has low hopes for your survival, and that dude's a fucking doctor, he knows what he's talking about.

Also, The Chicken Heart That Ate New York.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By ajamafalous

I want to be excited about a Biff post, but I just can't.

Not now.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By buzz_clik
@KaosAngel said:
" Not now Biff, the forums are splitting...Bombcast  breaking, etc.  Bad timing. "
On the contrary, I think it's perfect timing. Well, perfect Biff timing.
Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Cats get  tonsil stones?

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By vaiz

Biff arrives just in time to distract us all in our moment of pe- Ah fuck, he made a serious post about serious things? God damn it, Biff! 

Jk dude, hope everything goes well.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FunExplosions

Wait a second. This post... is serious? Wha... whats... wh-noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! *spirals off into a black hole*

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By EVHKwick

I never knew what the fuck those white things I coughed up periodically were until this post. 

You, sir, are a hero.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Vinny_Says

hope you don't get aids =( 
good luck with the surgery!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By JJWeatherman
@BiffMcBlumpkin said:
" ...This is the longest I've gone without booze in almost a decade. "  
Thaaat explains a lot.  :P
DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DrPockets000

Hey, good luck!  I had mine just recently (at 20).   

Yes, they are painful, but it is not unbearable.  Excruciating, maybe.  You just have to eat soft foods for a while. 

Actually, you know what?  It fucking sucked.  But I recovered, as will you.  Probably 2 weeks tops at your age. 

It's really not that bad.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Damien
@MarkWahlberg said:
" There was this one tape of Bill Cosby that we'd play on road trips when I was a kid. He had this one story about a kid who got his tonsils out, and it was awesome cuz he got like, all the ice cream in the fucking world, but then the surgery went horribly wrong and he died and there was blood EVERYWHERE ( I think maybe that was because like 3 other people died too, I dunno, I haven't listened to it in like a decade).

I guess my point is that Bill Cosby has low hopes for your survival, and that dude's a fucking doctor, he knows what he's talking about. Also, The Chicken Heart That Ate New York. "
OH SHIT!  I totally listened to that tape as a kid.  That was literally the funniest thing ever to 5 year old me.  

Daddy, can we watch Gunsmoke?
sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By sagesebas
@BiffMcBlumpkin: i know it's different but when I got my tonsils out I was 4 you wanna know what I did, I watched He-Man and ate ice cream and Popsicles, thats right I was livin like a boss at 4
wrathofconn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wrathofconn
@GIVEMEREPLAY said:
" Just make sure you don't bust open the scabs, as I've heard a horror story about that. Don't do it. "
I can confirm that you should definitely try not to do this. Happened to a buddy of mine. Bad scene.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26  Edited By jakob187

I would love to follow your adventures in tonsil-whatevery.  However, I'm not sure if the rest of your blog will be seen until next week.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@BiffMcBlumpkin:  

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

I survived.  

I'm high as a kite on Dilaudid right now.
Swaboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Swaboo
@BiffMcBlumpkin said:
" I survived.   I'm high as a kite on Dilaudid right now. "
Huzzah!
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Daveyo520

BIFF IS ALIVE!

Avatar image for pediatricurology
PediatricUrology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PediatricUrology

omg omg post what you're thinking right now

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jimbo

I don't think I've seen 6:30 AM... well, ever.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FunExplosions

So how's them drugs treatin' you? And when can I expect to see the effects on the forums in some grandiose fashion?

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By Xeiphyer

I heard this could be a side effect of Bieber Fever, you really should have went to the doctor sooner :(

If you were in the hospital I'd bring you a bouquet of Naked Cartoon Pussy.

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HS21
@dudeglove said:
" @Claude said:
"
No Caption Provided
"
this "
that
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#37  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Wow Biff, seeing your avatar next to a serious thread kind of broke my brain. Best of luck in the hospital though, you'll be in our hearts.

jhsauls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jhsauls

I sometimes get tonsil stones, it seems to run rampant when I'm about to get sick.  They tend to get inflamed every once in a while, I've had a doctor tell me just to keep them in as an adult because supposedly they prevent other infections.  Regardless, the stones suck and smell REALLY bad.

Wiki link for those curious:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith

Falx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Falx
@buzz_clik:  Damn, your avatar looks even more evil and cool with that medal, i have to wait for paypal since my debit card doesnt work with the pay system it seems.
EDIT: sorry its way off topic and sorry for ya pain man (Biff)  its just i needed to say that.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Red12b

Tonsil stones are the fucking worst,  

Ground control to Major tom?

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DrPockets000
@BiffMcBlumpkin said:
" I survived.   I'm high as a kite on Dilaudid right now. "
Did they give you an anxiety medication right before the procedure?  They did for me and right before I got the anesthetic and went under I made a really stupid joke to the Asian anesthesiologist and he gave me a dirty look, then I laughed really hard and passed out (from the anesthesia). 

Glad to hear it went well, how is your throat?  Does it hurt a lot?
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Kohe321

This post is great on account that it isn't about the bombcast.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Day 1 is over.  

It wasn't bad, relative to what I was expecting.  

Got there around 6:15AM, surgery actually went down around 8:30. Last thing I remember is the anesthesiologist putting a mask over my face and saying it was oxygen or something. Woke up in the recovery room, was given some ice chips to suck on. I wasn't nauseous in the slightest and the pain wasn't bad at all... couldn't talk above a whisper though. The surgeon said everything went well, apparently my tonsils were in horrendous shape, though. I was on my way home by 12:30 that afternoon.

Forced bucket-loads of ice water down my throat throughout the day and night... managed to choke down a bowl of chicken soup and a small amount of apple sauce. Sleeping was tough, I bought a cool air humidifier and stuck that fucker next to my bed; seemed to help keep my throat from drying out during the night. I hear the third and fourth days are when the pain really starts to grab you by the balls, but so far it hasn't been nearly half as bad as I was anticipating.  Swallowing is an odd fucking thing now though - 25% of the time I take a drink it feels like it's going down the wrong way (and often does,) and when that happens you can't really cough to correct it because it hurts like Hell (and they explicitly told me not to cough if I could manage it, or blow my nose, etc.) I can barely manage to open my mouth more than an inch, but I did open it as much as I was able and looked at the back of my throat with a flashlight. Huge mistake, it's a fucking horror show back there. It looks like someone pinned me down and worked at that area with a razor sharp walnut-sized ice cream scoop

After talking with my doctor prior to the surgery we both agreed a pain medication completely without Acetaminophen was the way to go; I've dedicated the lion's share of the last several years to heavy drinking. This Dilaudid shit is pretty fucking magical, it draws into a syringe with a wide nozzle and you spray it into your mouth. 

On a pain scale from 1 - 10 with 1 being "no pain," 5 being "very manageable, noticeable, but not extreme pain," and 10 being an "agonizing, immobilizing, fetal-position inducing" sort of pain...... yesterday was about a 5. 

You fuckers are just jealous of my tonsil-free lifestyle.
jhsauls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By jhsauls
My question, Biff, is your voice going to be any different?  Now you will have much more real estate in the back of your throat I wonder what else could change... besides the special tonsil stone gifts you received frequently.
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

I haven't really talked normally yet. Haven't been answering my phone, and when I'm face to face with someone and I need something I write it down on a piece of paper. I've tried to talk normally and it doesn't sound all that different (in tone) when I can get a noise out, but it's hard to tell.... it sounds a little "shaky" but I think that's because it requires effort to push any sound out. 

I was told my voice won't change at all. The surgeon said vocal change doesn't happen in adults... he said young kids are sometimes perceived to have a changed voice (higher pitched) post-surgery because their parents are so accustomed to hearing their voices muffled and forced through swollen tonsils.  

My tonsils weren't swollen at all though, never had any tonsillitis or anything... I just couldn't deal with the never-ending tonsil stones and the constant irritation in the back of my throat anymore.
jhsauls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jhsauls

That's cool, I didn't really think that a tone change would occur.  Good that you never got tonsillitis, I seem to get it once a year or so.  I always thing I have the flu or strep, but I never do anything about it since it isn't contagious.   Is insurance covering your operation?

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Yeah, everything but a $250 copay.
BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

Yesterday, Day 2, was a little rough. Woke up to my alarm at 5 AM to a pain of about a 7 so I could take my Dilaudid and Amoxicillin on schedule. Went back to bed and was able to catch of few more hours of fitful sleep. Starting to get fucking gassy, I'm like a punctured propane tank. The Dilaudid is binding me up and I haven't shit since Wed. afternoon.... so I've started eating boiled, mashed up prunes and Benefiber.  Forced down 4 scrambled eggs and a bowl of applesauce mixed with prunes throughout the day, and about 8,000 gallons of ice water. 

Still not as bad as everyone says it is, or what I was expecting it to be, but definitely worse than Day 1... today, day 3, is the worst yet. Throat is burning, not just when I swallow, but pretty much constantly.... my mouth smells like the inside of a coffin.... have to keep reminding myself this is the only way to completely get rid of tonsilloliths...

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ryanwho

Don't self medicate or you'll bleed out more.