• 73 results
RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By RadixNegative2

Before I start I would like to introduce a bit of background about myself and the reason for this post. I am an Iranian-American currently studying Computer Science at University of Kentucky. My family moved to the United States when I was 7 years old and we have lived here ever since. In this respect I'm not entirely knowledgeable in regards to current Iranian events and culture, though I do have family living in Iran who explain what the situation is like there. Actually I'm hoping this post might bring other Iranian Giant Bomb users who are more familiar of Iran to help others and myself understand the current culture in Iran.

Northern Iran
Northern Iran

Having said that, two things in particular have inspired me to create this post. The first is the Iran page on Giant Bomb; it's too bare. The second is the relatively recent controversies of the Iran nuclear program that has put Iran in the spotlight; I'm hoping people will get to see Iran in a different light here.

*On a side note: I always find it more entertaining and valuable to see and hear information rather than read about it, so I will use mostly videos in this post.

Here is video of a secular Iran before the Islamic-Republic. This video was particularly interesting to myself when I first viewed it. My parents had always told me about Iran before the mullahs, but I had never seen raw video like this to grasp what it was like then.:

This is a documentary from BBC about the different regions of Iran; their culture and history.

I hope some of this may be interesting to someone here and perhaps a nice, brief intro to Iran. Of course Iran is a very large country with three thousand years of history and varied cultures, so this post alone doesn't even scratch the surface. Later I might add more pictures and videos, but again I would love to hear from other Iranians or anyone who has visited/lived in Iran what their experiences have been of Iran.

EDIT: I removed the video about the modern history of Iran and U.S. relationship. After hearing what people said I think it was taking the thread into too much politics. Someone mentioned that it was sensationalizing the topic, and I agree. I'm not trying to set any agendas here or anything like that. Honestly I just miss Iran and wanted to talk about its culture and history with fellow Giant Bombers.

EDIT2; More about myself and my family (please excuse the lack of detail, I was 7 when we moved to U.S.):

I was born in Tehran, the capital of Iran. My family consists of people from different regions of Iran.

My mother and her side of the family are from the south western areas. They used to moved around a lot so there wasn't one particular city or town I could point to. My mothers father was a farmer and later owned a store that he later sold because my grandmother wanted to move around. From what I hear from my mother, it is really hot in the south. In her day people would build basements into the ground so they could have somewhere cool to go in during the day. Most people there would only go outside during the evening and night time. When the Iran-Iraq war started my mothers family moved to Tehran where my mother met my father.

My father and his side of the family are from Tehran. I haven't heard too much about their history, probably because like myself they aren't too social or outgoing. Both my father and grandfather are engineers and inventors who run their own businesses. I hear more about their work than how their life was back in the day. My grandfather started or tried to start several businesses with his ideas and inventions, while my dad has started one business that is still running (he built machines to automate some parts of dress making).

When I was born my dad had already started his business and my mother was going to university where she studied psychology. Partly because of this I spent a lot of time with other family when I was very young. I fondly remember my sister and me spending a lot of time at my grandfathers house (dads side) and spending time with my grandmother, aunt, and cousin. We would play in the garden my grandfather had built and watched satellite television (a lot of Tom & Jerry). During the winter when it would snow, we would play snow-ball fights with the in courtyard of the house.

By the time I was born, my grandfather on my mothers side had moved to about an hour outside of Tehran. I spent a bit less time there because of this. We would mostly visit for vacation.

Speaking of vacation, we would a lot of times go to north of Tehran (they call it Shomal which just means north). It was past the mountains that are just north of Tehran. The drive was probably the most interesting part of these vacations since we had to go through the mountains. It was beautiful, but also very dangerous because the roads were very narrow and a lot of times there were no side rails between your car and a 100ft drop. I remember going through tunnels that had been dug into the mountain and would go for 40-60 minutes at a time to reach the end.

The road was beautiful, but sometimes dangerous
The road was beautiful, but sometimes dangerous

To be continued...

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I'm intrigued. I admit that I know very little about Iran and look forward to seeing what people have to share.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By coakroach

Its such a shame that the politics of the region have lead it to become so isolated, my dad and grandfather went there and said it was absolutely lovely and the people couldn't be friendlier

Hoping to head there myself one day

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By dagas

It's always good to know history. I would recommend Victoria: An Empire Under The Sun for anyone who like Civilization type games (although Victoria is a bit more complicated than Civilization and much more realistic). You learn quite a bit about the period from 1836-1920 (to 1936 with the expansion) and it's the best grand strategy game I've ever played. It can be fun to try and play as a country like Persia (Iran) and try to cath up technology wise to the Europeans. For example I learned such things as the existance of Unites States of Central America and that a Christian rebellion happened in China that could have turned China into a Christian country.

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for oppressivestink
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OppressiveStink

@ashkanhoss29:

Great post, never knew that about Iran. Too bad about not being able to go there and stuff, but every time I see a woman walking several paces behind a man makes me want to rage.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RsistncE

Good thread but be careful; there are plenty of idiots here who think Iran is a "shithole" and a rogue state that wants to nuke the world. Stay safe OP.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Grissefar

What is this, the Iranian Tourism Agency? Do you even know anything about Iran? If you do, I'd rather read a couple of paragraphs from you about life there than watch a whole bunch of documentary videos you've cherry picked from youtube.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iran is a shithole and is going to nuke the world.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CaLe

Thank you. That first video was very informative. Too bad 99% of Americans will never see it and will continue to wonder why so many Iranians hate America.

rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By rawrnosaurous

@Grissefar said:

What is this, the Iranian Tourism Agency? Do you even know anything about Iran? If you do, I'd rather read a couple of paragraphs from you about life there than watch a whole bunch of documentary videos you've cherry picked from youtube.

:/

Wouldn't want to be kind on the forums huh.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Grissefar

@Rawrnosaurous said:

@Grissefar said:

:/

Wouldn't want to be kind on the forums huh.

C'mon man, at least reply to the OP too. Really rude behavior there.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TruthTellah

Thanks for your interest in sharing a bit of Iranian culture with people here on Giant Bomb!

Now, while I disagree with how he said it, I actually agree a bit with Grissefar on probably preferring to hear from you instead. Personal accounts are always more interesting. Perhaps your family in Iran and at home have shared incites? I'd love to hear about those.

Unfortunately, I think that first video is rather misleading and one-sided, selling an agenda(as per modern sensationalism and manipulation, particularly in conspiracy circles) over simply presenting realities of the day. The other two videos are interesting and enjoyable, though; so, thanks for sharing those. I hope to see a lot more of that. :)

fieldafar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fieldafar

@TruthTellah said:

Unfortunately, I think that first video is rather misleading and one-sided, selling an agenda(as per modern sensationalism and manipulation, particularly in conspiracy circles) over simply presenting realities of the day.

Well, it did mention Ron Paul in the title...

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Kazona

When a country does things like this there is nothing you can tell me that makes me see the place in a better light.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TruthTellah

@fieldafar said:

@TruthTellah said:

Unfortunately, I think that first video is rather misleading and one-sided, selling an agenda(as per modern sensationalism and manipulation, particularly in conspiracy circles) over simply presenting realities of the day.

Well, it did mention Ron Paul in the title...

And it used him incorrectly, I'd say. I'm not a big fan of his, but I'd say he's probably the furthest person in the US campaign today from wanting foreign wars. Even President Obama is more gungho than him. That's, well, why he gets criticized for being too isolationist in his policies. He doesn't believe the US owes Israel anything or has much reason to be involved in the Middle East. So, even the video's use of manipulative speech is misdirected.

It's a shame that videos like this are made, as they only further add to people's general disillusionment with modern reality, add to undue paranoia, and pit us against one another as preset caricatures.

Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mageman

Iran needs a violent revolution against it's Islamic elite. The west should imo supply the people with the required weaponry and aid them in their violence.

@Jaytow said:

Nato, we're going in!

fuck yeah

TehBuLL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TehBuLL

Most countries are beautiful in the right light. I've seen many beautiful pictures of North Korea...unfortunately it is impossible for me to visit them. To be honest, there are so many beautiful places just within the US that I struggle to visit, places within my own city (Chicago)...the world is too big and too small at the same time. As it stands, I have been trained that Iran is the enemy, which most likely means that they have something our government wants and they won't give it to us for cheap.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sungahymn

Huh, I always pictured Iran as brown. It looks like Alaska (I've never been there either).

Your effort to share your easily misunderstood people is admirable.

frythefly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By frythefly

Documentary about television and censorship in Iran. Filmmaker Mohammad Rasoulof was sentenced to six years of prison in 2011 for his films.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cookiemonster

Nice one-sided agenda-driven videos bro.

Ah, you've removed the offending video. Cool.

Laksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Laksa

Why dont you go live in iran for a period of time and experience it first hand? I am sure it will make interesting reading.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TruthTellah

@ashkanhoss29: If you're interested in recent culture in Iran, I'd recommend going to see "A Separation" in theaters now. It's a quite moving movie about Iranian life.

And if you're interested in recent events in Iran, this Al-Jazeera-produced documentary about the Iranian election protests in 2009 is quite well done. Al-Jazeera usually does a pretty good job; this is no exception.

Another thing to check out would be the great graphic novel and animated film "Persepolis". It's a fantastic movie based on a family's true story before and during the Iranian Revolution. I highly recommend it. I have enjoyed the book(which is more thorough), but the movie is also quite interesting. I think you'd enjoy it.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By amir90

cool thread, thou i only know of ancient Persia and in the middle ages.

I think americans should use 5 mins and look at their own country, you guys are only 2 steps

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By amir90

From becoming a western versiOn of Iran.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GunslingerPanda

No thank you.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zero_

@MangyForestCat said:

The US has provided me and my family the most amazing opportunities and the greatest life I could ever have. This is the best country in the world and I won't stand for the OP's agenda driven crap.

That's fantastic that you're in such a great position in life, but it doesn't mean you should be calling death on Iranians or anyone else that hates the US. Doing so invokes the same extremist view that have caused those problems that you hate in the first place.

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By matiaz_tapia

Nice effort OP, tho I don't know about the first video, seems politically charged enough that it might work against you. Maybe is best to leave that out of the conversation...I kinda know how tricky that particular situation can be.

I'm from Chile actually. There's some parallels to be drawn about what happened to both my own country and Iran. The biggest difference is that the dictator instated by the CIA was replaced by a democratic government after the country was back on it's feet. So in a way, same plan, same course of action, but a bit more success on it becoming a country " more like the US". That to our benefit of course...but still causing some social issues ( not that different from anyone else's: the elite is still favored, There was plenty of chaos and awful things happening on the transition to political change and people still act like ass hats. See, just like everyone else)

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By CptChiken

My old maths teach was an old Iranian and she said that before the whole dictatorship thing Iran was a wonderful place and even now the people are still warm and welcoming (except the "government" people) Maybe when it eventually cools down overthere ill go and visit.

Also its pretty ironic that this page is up when there is another iran based thread up atm.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By zero_

@CptChiken said:

Also its pretty ironic that this page is up when there is another iran based thread up atm.

Look what happens to GiantBomb during the weekend when there aren't any videos!

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CptChiken

Also i just want to say that people always stead their own country in a good light. For instance, some of you clearly love america yet you allow places like Guantanamo bay to exist and you support them in illegal wars against people which your government funded initially in the first place. I love my country of England but i know that we have done and still do our fair share of travesties and still are. Ie sending people to Guantanamo so that you guys can torture them, what we did to the native peoples of australia was absolutely disgusting in the 1800 and there are so many more.

What im trying to say is, its easy to damn others for what they are doing. And I agree that the way iran handles its execution system and legal system in general is bollocks. But dont hold your country up as infallible. No country is.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ShadowConqueror

What the fuck, people? Is all this hatred towards Iran necessary in a thread that's trying to show you the other side of Iranian culture that we rarely see? You're entitled to your opinions but damn, give it a break.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By leebmx

@AlexW00d said:

So many cunts in this thread.

Tru dat.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By leebmx

Every country, race, and religion has beautiful culture, art and music but also horrific abuses, hideous crimes and dirty secrets. It is the way of the world. All the OP is trying to do is highlight some of the beauty his culture has produced (and believe me there is a lot) - shame on the people in this thread too small minded or bigoted to see that.

Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Grissefar

@frythefly said:

Documentary about television and censorship in Iran. Filmmaker Mohammad Rasoulof was sentenced to six years of prison in 2011 for his films.

Wow it's pretty amazing to hear them tell about modern stuff by themselves instead of watching some BBC documentary about their ancient culture. It's pretty funny to see the kids like TV while the parents talk about how it hurts their quranic faith, and to see the dish salesmen talk about how the majority of homes have a dish to watch the entertaining channels while the imam denies it completely and says they'll pick up their swords. You can also tell that some of them are not keen on talking openly with a camera crew and therefore are clearly lying.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RobertOrri

@Grissefar said:

Wow it's pretty amazing to hear them tell about modern stuff by themselves instead of watching some BBC documentary about their ancient culture. It's pretty funny to see the kids like TV while the parents talk about how it hurts their quranic faith, and to see the dish salesmen talk about how the majority of homes have a dish to watch the entertaining channels while the imam denies it completely and says they'll pick up their swords. You can also tell that some of them are not keen on talking openly with a camera crew and therefore are clearly lying.

A fair bit more informative than the OP's Ron "Gold Standard" Paul campaign video.

Moreau_MD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Moreau_MD

@ashkanhoss29 said:

Before I start I would like to introduce a bit of background about myself and the reason for this post. I am an Iranian-American currently studying Computer Science at University of Kentucky. My family moved to the United States when I was 7 years old and we have lived here ever since. In this respect I'm not entirely knowledgeable in regards to current Iranian events and culture, though I do have family living in Iran who explain what the situation is like there. Actually I'm hoping this post might bring other Iranian Giant Bomb users who are more familiar of Iran to help others and myself understand the current culture in Iran.

Northern Iran
Northern Iran

Having said that, two things in particular have inspired me to create this post. The first is the Iran page on Giant Bomb; it's too bare. The second is the relatively recent controversies of the Iran nuclear program that has put Iran in the spotlight; I'm hoping people will get to see Iran in a different light here.

*On a side note: I always find it more entertaining and valuable to see and hear information rather than read about it, so I will use mostly videos in this post.

To start off here is a brief video of U.S. government role in modern Iran history. I think this is a good starting point considering the current politics and the view many in the west seem to have regarding Iran:

Here is video of a secular Iran before the Islamic-Republic. This video was particularly interesting to myself when I first viewed it. My parents had always told me about Iran before the mullahs, but I had never seen raw video like this to grasp what it was like then.:

This is a documentary from BBC about the different regions of Iran; their culture and history.

I hope some of this may be interesting to someone here and perhaps a nice, brief intro to Iran. Of course Iran is a very large country with three thousand years of history and varied cultures, so this post alone doesn't even scratch the surface. Later I might add more pictures and videos, but again I would love to hear from other Iranians or anyone who has visited/lived in Iran what their experiences have been of Iran.

Fantastic post! Really intriguing. I don't really get where the whole that first video was one sided man, it's just another conspiracy argument is coming from- it couldn't have been more objective in it's interpretation of the events. Yeah, of course there is always going to be a bit of personality in videos like that but the only other option I can think of, that would be totally objective, would just be a spread sheet of just the facts...and the message would be lost

@Kazona said:

When a country does things like this there is nothing you can tell me that makes me see the place in a better light.

The current dictatorship in Iran, which is poised to fall just like all the rest, is in no-way representative of the mind set and beliefs of the entire fucking country and its people- most of whom are treated just as badly if not worse by the government itself. Ergo, formulating an opinion about a place simply on the basis of that is beyond retarded. I can't believe the majority of people in the world today still equate particular regimes or policies with the mind-set, history and believes of the country at large. An invasion of Iran at this point and time would only serve to harm the people further; it would accomplish little else- don't forget, Iraq is is basically a husk now because of the US...all the army did was serve to make the damage that had already been caused by Saddam irreversible.

tl;dr simpletons who make sweeping statements without considering the logistics (i.e. you) -are what is wrong with the world.

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RadixNegative2

@Grissefar: Yeah you're right I should have gone more in depth about my own personal memories. I'll probably add that to the post. But like I said before, I myself usually rather see videos and images than read so that's why I didn't write much.

@TruthTellah: I think maybe I should have left that first video out. I don't want this to become about politics. Though I can see why it seems to sensationalize the topic, so maybe I'll just replace it with a another one.

@Kazona: Yes those things are terrible, but so are things like Gitmo here at home. Wouldn't you want to try and let people from the outside understand that Gitmo isn't all there is?

@Mageman: I agree, but not with the use of violence part. Iranians overthrew the monarchy twice mostly peacefully, so I'm confident they can do it again. The use of violence will only lead to civil war like it has in Libya and Syria.

@frythefly: Thanks for sharing! I've heard a lot about the growing movie and television industry in Iran. It'll be interesting to see some of that and how the mullahs deal with it via censorship and imprisonment.

trace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By trace

I'm just going to pop in here, point out the forum rules, and remind people to keep your discussions civil. Hate-filled replies just cause more unnecessary angst, derail from the topic at hand, and in this case, cause me to jump in and delete some vitriolic posts that violate our rules.

Also, posting into a topic just to say "boy, a bunch of people in here are jerks" doesn't serve any purpose. Don't be silly like that.

Carry on!

RadixNegative2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RadixNegative2

@TruthTellah: Oh cool thanks for sharing those! I've seen Persopolis but I'll definitely have to check out A Separation.

@MangyForestCat: I agree the US is a beautiful country full of opportunity. It too has served my family and I very well and I wouldn't want to move back to Iran, at least not in its current form. But please don't think this is an agenda. I just want people to see that even with the terrible government and oppression of people, the culture and history of Iran are completely different and aren't represented by the mullahs. This post is trying to be about the people and not the governments.

@Matiaz_Tapia: Wow that is interesting, thanks for sharing. But you're right, I will take out that first video.

@CptChiken: I hear the same things from my parents. I'd love to go visit family and my hometown if and when things cool down.

@leebmx said:

Every country, race, and religion has beautiful culture, art and music but also horrific abuses, hideous crimes and dirty secrets. It is the way of the world. All the OP is trying to do is highlight some of the beauty his culture has produced (and believe me there is a lot) - shame on the people in this thread too small minded or bigoted to see that.

This is how I feel. I wish people would try to see things in a different perspective sometimes to try and understand where others come from.

But it was my fault for posting that first video and getting too much politics into the thread.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Kazona

@Moreau_MD: I was going to post something insulting in response, but I think I'll be the better man in this case and admit that my reaction was a tad too extreme.

@ashkanhoss29: Technically I am an outsider (not from the US), but I see what you mean. I was simply angry at reading about yet another innocent person being sentenced to death. You could say it was the proverbial straw.

To the OP: Your country is quite beautiful. I hope that someday everyone there can be given the peace they deserve to truly enjoy it all.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By laserbolts

Bummer that you like Iran so much because there is this group of fools which reside in the white house that feel the need to bomb countries whenever they have a bad day so I think Iran is fucked. Its a shame really but you cant stop the most powerful terrorists in the world.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#43  Edited By Little_Socrates

This has been a fascinating thread. I hope your people find a way to peacefully reverse the mullahs' rule, ashkan. I love it when the Internet can be an uplifting educational experience.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mikemcn

Dear Iran, please don't provoke Israel into a war, because then I know for sure that the US will step to help it's best middle eastern buddy and we don't want that.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By billyhoush

My family left Iran just before the 1979 revolution and immigranted to Canada. I was born Canadian and never visited Iran. I grew up hearing stories of Iran pre Islamic Republic and my mother's hope of returning once the regime falls. She's now 65 and still waiting for the great war to happen so she can return to a place she left over 30 years ago.

Mageman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mageman

It also seems that many normal Iranian folk really hate their government and religious establishments. Is there no chance of a rise up occurring in the near future ? From the looks of things it should have already happened.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#47  Edited By Black_Rose

Great post dude, very educational. I might do one like this about my country, Venezuela. Which, like Iran is unfairly overlooked with a negative light by ignorant people.

Also, Giantbomb is full of douchebags.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CaptainCody

Sorry, bro. Iran is still a shit stain on this planet. I mean Iran, the country, not the land underneath it. It is a country full of retarded old men running their own agenda, it will take more than manners for the citizens to overthrow them. Gotta try and be less bias with the tourism videos.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#49  Edited By yoshimitz707

Is it bad that I just rolled my eyes the topic title? I guess that's just from my dad trying to tell me how great Iran used to be every day.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mordukai

@Mageman said:

Iran needs a violent revolution against it's Islamic elite. The west should imo supply the people with the required weaponry and aid them in their violence.

Sarcasm, right?