Are you better at Guitar Hero than real guitar?

• 64 results
Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Joshbra97

Cause I kick ass at Guitar Hero / Rock Band (guitar) and it's like huh, I freakin' play Guitar Hero everyday trying to get expert on everything. Should I just be learning how to play the real guitar?

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By KnifeySpoony

I don't like you.

Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Jesus

No. guitar hero is for butt molesters

Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Joshbra97
KnifeySpoony said:
"I don't like you."
Err... what? Why?
Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Goly

it has nothing to do man. well except the strumming.

Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Joshbra97
Goly said:
"it has nothing to do man. well except the strumming."
What in the who now?
Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Goly
Joshbra97 said:
"Goly said:
What in the who now?
"
what?
Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Joshbra97
Goly said:
"Joshbra97 said:
"Goly said:
What in the who now?
"
what?"
I'm not sure what you're saying although I was born with a mental problem so that may be it too, lol!
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By JoelTGM

lol it's totally different.  The game does all the work for you, all you have is like 5 buttons to press, and then suddenly you're making music.  BUT if you want to play real guitar, go for it.  Buy a cheap guitar and have fun, but it's going to be hard, don't expect to pick up on it right away like you can in the video game.

skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By skywing

the skills do not overlap at all.  i'm a piano player but rest assured playing guitar is FAR different from guitar hero.  i know a few people who picked up guitars after playing guitar hero they ALL immediately regretted it.  It takes time to learn how to play in instrument.  You just don't start playing AC/DC out of the blue like that.  I gurantee if you give a non-gamer rockband and have them play it for 2hrs for a week they will be able to play at least on Hard and pass, that is not the case at all on a real guitar. 
So to sum up ONLY PICK  UP GUITAR IF U MEAN DO PUT IN THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!11
cause it'll only be your money your wasting.

Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Joshbra97
DOUBLESHOCK said:
"lol it's totally different.  The game does all the work for you, all you have is like 5 buttons to press, and then suddenly you're making music."
Exactly, so should I just be learning the real guitar then? Besides, people that can actually play expert level know that it's more difficult than playing a real guitar, so I figure I should be able to pretty easily actually.
Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Goly

dude people who told you that are morons.

Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Joshbra97
skywing said:
"the skills do not overlap at all.  i'm a piano player but rest assured playing guitar is FAR different from guitar hero.  i know a few people who picked up guitars after playing guitar hero they ALL immediately regretted it.  It takes time to learn how to play in instrument.  You just don't start playing AC/DC out of the blue like that.  I gurantee if you give a non-gamer rockband and have them play it for 2hrs for a week they will be able to play at least on Hard and pass, that is not the case at all on a real guitar.  So to sum up ONLY PICK  UP GUITAR IF U MEAN DO PUT IN THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!11cause it'll only be your money your wasting."
Why did they regret it? Because they weren't good at it right away? Well I'm pretty sure that I could kick ass at real guitar. Maybe your friends weren't that good at Guitar Hero. Also what does playing piano have to do with knowing the difference between Guitar Hero and real guitar?

Oh and are you saying that if you gave  a person a real guitar and they praticed for 2 hours a week they wouldn't be able to play guitar? Haha, whatever. Guitar isn't that tough that's why eeveryone can play it.
Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Joshbra97
Goly said:
"dude people who told you that are morons."
Ummm... guitar players told me that?
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By c1337us

To answer your question: yes I am better at Guitar Hero then a real guitar. But that doesnt mean much because I suck incredibly at both.

Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Joshbra97
c1337us said:
"To answer your question: yes I am better at Guitar Hero then a real guitar. But that doesnt mean much because I suck incredibly at both. "
Would you rather be better at Guitar Hero or real guitar?
Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Goly
Joshbra97 said:
"Goly said:
Ummm... guitar players told me that?"
i play the guitar too you know and i'm telling you guitar hero isn't harder to play than a real guitar. for sure.
skywing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By skywing

i think your just egging people on now, i honestly don't think your this stupid.

randomspiritlover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure playing that game intensely builds finger dexterity to some degree, and it can't hurt your sense of rhythm.  Learning to play the guitar -- or any instrument -- demands a great deal of discipline and persistence.  If you practiced on a daily basis, like you seem to be doing with Guitar Hero, you could become pretty good, in time.  You don't get the same level of feedback or gratification though... it's a slow burn.  Guitar Hero and other rhythm games offer satisfaction frequently, but in small doses.  Developing the ability to play an instrument can be extremely rewarding in the long-term, but you won't see obvious improvement as quickly.  That can be disheartening for some people.  If you can manage it though, I think you'll feel a satisfaction greater than what those games promise.

Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Joshbra97
Goly said:
"Joshbra97 said:
"Goly said:
i play the guitar too you know and i'm telling you guitar hero isn't harder to play than a real guitar. for sure."
Well how about this. One of my friends can play Wonderwall on the guitar and can't play it on expert in Rock Band.
Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Goly
Joshbra97 said:
"Goly said:
"Joshbra97 said:
"Goly said:
i play the guitar too you know and i'm telling you guitar hero isn't harder to play than a real guitar. for sure."
Well how about this. One of my friends can play Wonderwall on the guitar and can't play it on expert in Rock Band.
"
maybe he just sucks at the game period.
Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Joshbra97

Well, that's what I'm saying though, if he plays real guitar and has played Guitar Hero as much as me then shouldn't he be better at it than me?

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Goly
Joshbra97 said:
"Well, that's what I'm saying though, if he plays real guitar and has played Guitar Hero as much as me then shouldn't he be better at it than me?"
you can't even compare, it's not like your guitar skills are gonna make you an instant guitar hero god.
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By maxszy

Considering I have no interest in learning guitar and never have played a real guitar, yes I much better at guitar hero.

Queequeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Queequeg

I got a real guitar after playing GH and I'm enjoying it so far.  It was really frustrating to learn at first and I'm still pretty noobish at it, but I can play a few things.  Bear in mind I'm not aspiring to be some guitar god.  I'm just a casual player that likes to sit around and play some songs on slow days.  The skills from GH do not translate at all, at least not for me.  Even the simplest skills to learn were a struggle at first.  I could play everything on hard easily and most songs on expert.  It's definitely worth a shot if you can get a cheap decent guitar to start out with to see if you enjoy it.  Personally, I'd rather give up GH for life in exchange for even being mediocre at guitar.

In response to the Wonderwall thing, I find it's the same.  I struggle with it on GH, but I can play it pretty easily on guiar.  It's a beginnerish song to learn on real guitar.  It's an anomaly.  Most songs are WAY harder on a real guitar.

Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Joshbra97
Queequeg said:
"I got a real guitar after playing GH and I'm enjoying it so far.  It was really frustrating to learn at first and I'm still pretty noobish at it, but I can play a few things.  Bear in mind I'm not aspiring to be some guitar god.  I'm just a casual player that likes to sit around and play some songs on slow days.  The skills from GH do not translate at all, at least not for me.  Even the simplest skills to learn were a struggle at first.  I could play everything on hard easily and most songs on expert.  It's definitely worth a shot if you can get a cheap decent guitar to start out with to see if you enjoy it.  Personally, I'd rather give up GH for life in exchange for even being mediocre at guitar.In response to the Wonderwall thing, I find it's the same.  I struggle with it on GH, but I can play it pretty easily on guiar.  It's a beginnerish song to learn on real guitar.  It's an anomaly.  Most songs are WAY harder on a real guitar."
Awesome, that's really cool though! I'm glad to hear that it transfers oer though. What kind of guitar did you get?
Queequeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Queequeg

I got a cheap Fender acoustic guitar to start off and then a low-mid end Epiphone electric guitar.  I'm poor.  :(  I figure I'll get some nicer ones when I get better.
If you decide to go for it, don't give up!  It might seem incredibly hard at first, but you'll better and it'll pay off.  If I can do it, anyone can.

Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Joshbra97

Whoa, you think you're poor and you got two guitars? That's pretty good! It definitely does sound good and I'm glad that someone in here is saying supportive things instead of just assuming that I couldn't play a real guitar just because I like Guitar Hero.

Queequeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Queequeg

You just have to put in the time and keep at it even when you don't feel like you're progressing.  Just don't waltz in expecting it to be easy because you can play GH well because more likely than not, you will struggle at first.

Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kou_Leifoh
Jesus said:
"No. guitar hero is for butt molesters "
In other words, Guitar Hero is a sin? If so, then I'll stay away, Jesus.
JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31  Edited By JonathanMoore

I'm Grade 6 in Guitar and doing Grade 8 in December, so I doubt I'm better at Guitar Hero no, although I do own it.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Grillbar
Joshbra97 said:
"Cause I kick ass at Guitar Hero / Rock Band (guitar) and it's like huh, I freakin' play Guitar Hero everyday trying to get expert on everything. Should I just be learning how to play the real guitar?"

its totaly not the same but sure learn to play a real guitar just dont expect to get to expert as fast
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Red
JonathanMoore said:
"I'm Grade 6 in Guitar and doing Grade 8 in December, so I doubt I'm better at Guitar Hero no, although I do own it."
Woah, Guitar has grades?
I mean, I can play expert in Rock Band decently, but there's no chance that I could ever get into the world of guitar.
Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Joshbra97

Yeah, what is this grades in guitar thing?

BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By BinaryDragon

Rockband /Guitar Hero is good for finger stretching and rhythm  but other than that the skills don't map. I have noticed better strength and precision in my little finger on REAL guitar since playing RB. However i do play expert on RB.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nick

I've played a little bit of Rock Band and managed to get by playing medium on guitar, I also play a bit of amateur real guitar; real guitar is a lot harder.

When you first start playing you're going to feel very clumsy, your hand is unfamiliar with the guitar neck and you'll have a lot of trouble locating individual frets and strings without taking your time or without looking, not to mention that you have 4 fingers you might be doing this all at the same time all on different strings or frets. You'll also be playing very stiffly, it's going to take a lot of practice to get the motions going smoothly before you can play harder songs. In comparison Guitar Hero has 5 buttons that are always in the same spot with only 2 options, you're either pushing them, or your not pushing them. There's no bending or hammer-ons or pull-offs or string muting or any other technicals, just on or off. There are hundreds of chords to learn and you'll need a play for a while to work up some strength and dexterity in your hand before you can play a lot of songs.

Then there's picking and strumming. In guitar hero you just hit the strum-bar when a note appears, strumming on a real guitar is easy enough but when you have to start picking it becomes difficult. First you'll have the same problem as your other hand, you won't know where individual strings are without looking so you'll be hitting the wrong strings a lot of the time and you'll be dividing your attention between your 2 hands to make sure you aren't making any mistakes. You'll need to be able to hit some strings while making sure you don't accidentally hit others, you'll need to be able to pick with up as well as down stroking, where as with Guitar Hero you just hit the strum bar and that's all there is to it, either you're hitting it or you're not, it doesn't move and there's only one.

I'm an amateur guitar player and I know almost nothing of music theory which is a completely different topic that you'll need some basic understanding of if you want to write some original music.

Anyway, real guitar is a lot harder, try if out for yourself. But if you stick with it, it's also a hell of a lot more fun!

Joshbra97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Joshbra97

Oh cool, that's pretty good advice! I still need to figure out a way to buy a guitar but I'm up for the challenge. I can't wait. Thanks again!

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By subject2change

No I am better at real Guitar because I refuse to pick up that abomination of a plastic guitar for rock band or guitar hero. Hitting 4 Plastic Buttons when lights show up =/= strumming a real guitar. And no I don't play "real guitar" either, you should be calling it "Fake Guitar" or "gametar" and playing a Guitar; have numerous friends that played Guitar and Bass and can appreciate learning an instrument over playing a game.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Subject2Change said:
"No I am better at real Guitar because I refuse to pick up that abomination of a plastic guitar for rock band or guitar hero. Hitting 4 Plastic Buttons when lights show up =/= strumming a real guitar. And no I don't play "real guitar" either, you should be calling it "Fake Guitar" or "gametar" and playing a Guitar; have numerous friends that played Guitar and Bass and can appreciate learning an instrument over playing a game."
Ok buddy. For the sake of this argument I'm going to assume that you, like the rest of the game playing world, enjoy the call of duty franchise or FPS's in general. If I were to apply your logic to those games then I could, hypothetically of course, say this:

Why the fuck would you ever even touch that abomination of a fucking controller and simulate a war. Pushing triggers/buttons =/= fighting in an actual combat zone. No I don't play "real war" either, you should be calling it fake war or wargame and fighting a real war; have numerous friends that fight in wars and can appreciate enlisting in the military instead of playing a pathetic fucking videogame about it.

See! It works both ways too!

Though I really regret necro'ing one of "these" threads....
Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Verdugo

I'm quite good at Guitar Hero, and I'm not bad at the real guitar. But I'm still much better at guitar hero. 

Responding to the Topic Creator's question of if he should play a real guitar, I say it's a nice thing to know how to play an instrument, I recommend you give it a shot. But keep in mind, learning guitar takes patience, Guitar Hero and real guitar are two entirely different beasts.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By subject2change

Okay Pal, guy Dude, man. Its just my opinion on music games and generally towards the Guitar Hero and Rock Band franchises. However I never stated that shooting people was like war or a simulator for it, they are fucking games. However you can't "play' war for real without a chance of dying however you take the time and play a guitar without the chance of taking a bullet in the head over it...well you never know. The "music game" genre is of no interest to me, if I wanted to play guitar i'd learn it. However this thread made it seem that some people think that playing guitar hero relates over to playing an actual guitar.

And lastly no I am not a CoD fiend either; Quake3, TFC, CS, CS:S, TF2 are my FPS games of choice.

and ya nice month long bump.

EagerUighur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EagerUighur

Well, Guitar Hero is easy and guitar is hard. So yes, I am definitely better at Guitar Hero than real guitar because I have no talent.

shakenbake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By shakenbake

I'm better at guitar hero but thats not saying much because I can't play a real guitar at all

ShadowKiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ShadowKiller

That's pretty sad but yeah... my guitar teacher told me I have some real talent but I just stopped playing all of a sudden and I can play expert on rock band.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#45  Edited By natetodamax

Unfortunately, yes.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Subject2Change said:
"Okay Pal, guy Dude, man. Its just my opinion on music games and generally towards the Guitar Hero and Rock Band franchises. However I never stated that shooting people was like war or a simulator for it, they are fucking games. However you can't "play' war for real without a chance of dying however you take the time and play a guitar without the chance of taking a bullet in the head over it...well you never know. The "music game" genre is of no interest to me, if I wanted to play guitar i'd learn it. However this thread made it seem that some people think that playing guitar hero relates over to playing an actual guitar. And lastly no I am not a CoD fiend either; Quake3, TFC, CS, CS:S, TF2 are my FPS games of choice.and ya nice month long bump."
They're no different. Look at Dimebag Darrell Abbot of Pantera, he got shot in the head on stage.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By iam3green

if u want. i'm horrible with musical instruments. i can't read or play any thing with music. i would say i'm better at guitar hero and rock band then real guitar.

Demonstride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Demonstride

I'm not good at guitar hero too much and i have no training with a real guitar but if i try i can probably play.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By subject2change
@Everyones_A_Critic said:
" @Subject2Change said:
"Okay Pal, guy Dude, man. Its just my opinion on music games and generally towards the Guitar Hero and Rock Band franchises. However I never stated that shooting people was like war or a simulator for it, they are fucking games. However you can't "play' war for real without a chance of dying however you take the time and play a guitar without the chance of taking a bullet in the head over it...well you never know. The "music game" genre is of no interest to me, if I wanted to play guitar i'd learn it. However this thread made it seem that some people think that playing guitar hero relates over to playing an actual guitar. And lastly no I am not a CoD fiend either; Quake3, TFC, CS, CS:S, TF2 are my FPS games of choice.and ya nice month long bump."
They're no different. Look at Dimebag Darrell Abbot of Pantera, he got shot in the head on stage. "
I don't find that funny, man was a legend in one of the most influential Metal bands of all time.
Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Expletive

i suck at both