Bill Maher's Take on Violent Video Games

• 171 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JasonR86

Now, I know what you're thinking; who the hell cares what Bill Maher has to say about anything let alone video games.  Well, there's a reason why I'm bringing this up.  Game Informer had an article on their website that has a video of Bill Maher, on his TV show, talking about the effects of violent video games on children.  The article can be found here; 
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/03/21/bill-maher-tackles-violent-video-game-debate.aspx .  He feels it isn't the government's place to dictate what happens within the realms of 'fantasy'.  

But, in the video, he perpetuates the stereotypes of what a gamer in a lazy attempt at humor.  We're all fat, lazy, immature 'children' to people like him.  To me, his rationale for being against the proposed video game law had as much, if not more so, to do with the fact that that law is being pushed by Republicans rather than the view being congruent with his personal beliefs.

Now, I know I'm preaching to the choir when I bring up the ridiculousness of the stereotype ignorant people like Bill Maher believe and inevitably perpetuate.  But, my question is this; would you want a person like Bill Maher, who is as condescending to gamers as he is, to be on the gamers', developers', and publishers' side on legal matters concerning video games? 

I can see both sides but  I think the law isn't going to pass now or ever with, or without, Bill Maher's help.  So, though I appreciate that he's on our side I would rather he keeps his little condescending mouth to himself.

What about everyone else?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Wait, but aren't most gamers lazy, fat, and immature? 

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#3  Edited By donutfever
@MooseyMcMan said:
" Wait, but aren't most gamers lazy, fat, and immature?  "
Boom. 
JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JasonR86
@MooseyMcMan said:
WE ARE NOT!  Shut up jerk-face!
Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Rattle618

I like the dude, but don't take him too seriously, he is after all a comedian.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MrKlorox

Bill Maher is a stupid hypocrite. As a liberal atheist, he is an embarrassment to my kind. Dude's as bigoted as any republican, just not towards the same things.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By StaticFalconar
@JasonR86 said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:
WE ARE NOT!  Shut up jerk-face! "
*wheezes for a bit then eats potato chips. 
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead

Almost nothing he says on that strikes me as being wrong. Embellished for comedic effect, but not wrong. 

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Dude, you are totally missing the point. Bill Maher is far from ignorant, he's just a comedian, a funny one at that. He makes fun of people. 

This dude regularly sails his boat into international waters so he can smoke pot in peace. How's that for lazy and unproductive?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JasonR86
@HandsomeDead said:
" Almost nothing he says on that strikes me as being wrong. Embellished for comedic effect, but not wrong.  "
As a gamer who is earning a masters degree, I think he's incredibly wrong here.
Avatar image for detectivespecial
DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By DetectiveSpecial

Bill Maher is, to a rational extent, a libertarian. His dislike of the bill is very much congruent with his beliefs.  
If you let an adult non-gamer listen to ten minutes of XBL chatter, they would think the stereotype to be true as well. 

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vinny_Says

who dat?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JasonR86
@S0ndor: 

But, if you watch the video, he's using comedy as the entertainment angle for his commentary.  But, there is still actual, serious commentary here.

I don't know, I guess I'm harder on him because I'm not a fan of his.  I just don't think unfunny comedy that makes fun of an activity I am involved in should be given a pass.  Especially when that comedy is just a string of insults with no punchline.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Skald
@StaticFalconar said:

" @JasonR86 said:

" @MooseyMcMan said:
WE ARE NOT!  Shut up jerk-face! "
*wheezes for a bit then eats potato chips.  "
*Curses incoherently and then falls asleep.
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By time allen

bill maher is a prick sometimes but i agree with him on a bunch of things, including this (mostly).

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King
@DetectiveSpecial said:
" If you let an adult non-gamer listen to ten minutes of XBL chatter, they would think the stereotype to be true as well.  "
I declare selection bias. How many gamers play multiplayer? Now of those, how many play online? And now how many in random matches, and not just against friends they know prior to the game?
MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 177

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By MikeinSC
@JasonR86 said:
" Now, I know what you're thinking; who the hell cares what Bill Maher has to say about anything
You are correct, sir.
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By blueduck

Once "nerd" and "geek" became a "cool" thing to be people needed a word to replace them, "gamer" was it. It doesn't even make sense anymore anyway since calling someone a gamer is about the same as calling someone a "movie watcher".

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Claude

I'm not fat, but I am immature and lazy. Two out of three ain't bad.

MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MikeinSC
@DetectiveSpecial said:
" Bill Maher is, to a rational extent, a libertarian. His dislike of the bill is very much congruent with his beliefs.  If you let an adult non-gamer listen to ten minutes of XBL chatter, they would think the stereotype to be true as well.  "
Given his fondness of government spending --- no, he is not a Libertarian. He's just a progressive who likes prostitution and drugs.

He's also never been funny.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ryanwho

When I say Bill Maher is a troll, I don't mean he's needlessly inflammatory in order to goat any kind of attention he can get from his echo chamber cunt audience. Does that applause sign need its own power source? What I mean when I say he's a troll is he has the facial structure of a Norwegian river bridge troll. The kind that eat babies and toll their bridge with riddles. Here's a riddle: where does someone who looks like that find the stones to comment on anyone else's appearance? Its a real conundrum.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mazik765

All I know is I can't stand Bill Maher.

Blur_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Blur_Fan

...I like Bill Maher.  That said, he can take his viewpoints to certain extremes. Usually, I agree with his big picture, but when he finds one or two fine details to harp on he can be a little abrasive.  I like having him as a far-left-o-meter to justify my middle-ness in politics. 

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By l4wd0g

Let me make this statement first. I think that personal accountability for our actions is important, and I don't want or need the government censoring my media.  IF someone is negativily affected by some form of media that leads them to commit some hanous or criminal act, it is a failure on the part of the parents, and video games make for a weak scapegoat to poor parenting. In other words, violent tendencies can not spontaniouly generate in a child/adult due to violent media.

Now, let me play devil's advocate for a moment. What if they are right and violent video games do cause an increase in violent tendencies? What is the right course of action?

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JasonR86 said:
" @S0ndor:   But, if you watch the video, he's using comedy as the entertainment angle for his commentary.  But, there is still actual, serious commentary here.  I don't know, I guess I'm harder on him because I'm not a fan of his.  I just don't think unfunny comedy that makes fun of an activity I am involved in should be given a pass.  Especially when that comedy is just a string of insults with no punchline. "
The commentary is mainly about the bill and Republicans. His comments about gamers are just a by-product that he uses to explain his point that the Republicans make a big fuss about everything. He exaggerates and stereotypes for comedic effect and to help further illustrate his point. He uses a caricature to create an easily identifiable mental image for his audience. There's absolutely no reason to be offended by it, unless you want to be offended by it, or don't know what a caricature is, or have no sense of humour, or are having a particularly bad day.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Akeldama
@MooseyMcMan said:
Sums me up.
MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikeinSC
@l4wd0g said:
" Let me make this statement first. I think that personal accountability for our actions is important, and I don't want or need the government censoring my media.  IF someone is negativily affected by some form of media that leads them to commit some hanous or criminal act, it is a failure on the part of the parents, and video games make for a weak scapegoat to poor parenting. In other words, violent tendencies can not spontaniouly generate in a child/adult due to violent media.  Now, let me play devil's advocate for a moment. What if they are right and violent video games do cause an increase in violent tendencies? What is the right course of action? "
Well, first, you'd have to explain why games are specifically causing violent actions when things like movies, art, and music are not. Otherwise, you'd have to explain why one time of speech is not deserving of protections while others are.

Video games do not cause violence. Never have. As pointed out, plenty of violence before Nolan Bushnell shat out an Atari.
DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DelroyLindo
@JasonR86 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
" Almost nothing he says on that strikes me as being wrong. Embellished for comedic effect, but not wrong.  "
As a gamer who is earning a masters degree, I think he's incredibly wrong here. "
And? In 2 months I'll have a masters degree. Im not fat but i am fucking lazy, the ability to get a degree is completely irrelevant 
MikeinSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MikeinSC
@S0ndor said:
" @JasonR86 said:
" @S0ndor:   But, if you watch the video, he's using comedy as the entertainment angle for his commentary.  But, there is still actual, serious commentary here.  I don't know, I guess I'm harder on him because I'm not a fan of his.  I just don't think unfunny comedy that makes fun of an activity I am involved in should be given a pass.  Especially when that comedy is just a string of insults with no punchline. "
The commentary is mainly about the bill and Republicans. His comments about gamers are just a by-product that he uses to explain his point that the Republicans make a big fuss about everything. He exaggerates and stereotypes for comedic effect and to help further illustrate his point. He uses a caricature to create an easily identifiable mental image for his audience. There's absolutely no reason to be offended by it, unless you want to be offended by it, or don't know what a caricature is, or have no sense of humour, or are having a particularly bad day. "
Even funnier since the bills dealing with video game violence have, overwhelmingly, come from Democrats.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanwho
@S0ndor said:

" @JasonR86 said:

The commentary is mainly about the bill and Republicans. His comments about gamers are just a by-product that he uses to explain his point that the Republicans make a big fuss about everything. He exaggerates and stereotypes for comedic effect and to help further illustrate his point. He uses a caricature to create an easily identifiable mental image for his audience. There's absolutely no reason to be offended by it, unless you want to be offended by it, or don't know what a caricature is, or have no sense of humour, or are having a particularly bad day. "
His silly extremes don't go away when he's on CNN explaining his case without a script or an audience. He's genuinely pretty uninformed and when he's cornered offscript, he flusters and parrots talking points. So unless he's doing an impression of the people he makes fun of, he hasn't worked through the logic of most of what he believes. Its mostly just him and his contempt for others driving his opinions, which he can't explain offscript. That's why he only invites yesmen onto his panel. Its fine when he's on his little show making his jokes, haw those fools and all that. Except he can't articulate anything he believes in without resting on personal attacks and pejoratives. He is a caricature.  He's a mouthpiece for half a dozen writers and a week of polish.
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Marz

he's not wrong, he's also not right.  It's just an opinion.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MikkaQ

I don't care what Bill Maher has to say, he supports PETA and doesn't believe in germ theory or vaccinations... his opinions are invalid.  

And I think portraying gamers like that does more harm than good. He's a nut, plain and simple. 

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ravenousrattler

good luck shutting up that loud mouth, but really who gives a shit what Bill Maher thinks?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By JasonR86
@DelroyLindo said:
" @JasonR86 said:
" @HandsomeDead said:
As a gamer who is earning a masters degree, I think he's incredibly wrong here. "
And? In 2 months I'll have a masters degree. Im not fat but i am fucking lazy, the ability to get a degree is completely irrelevant  "
I think you might be underestimating what you're doing.
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36  Edited By bonbolapti

I'm pretty condescending to gamers too, we don't exactly help our own image out.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JasonR86
@MikeinSC said:
" @S0ndor said:
" @JasonR86 said:
Even funnier since the bills dealing with video game violence have, overwhelmingly, come from Democrats. "
Really?  I guess I just assumed it came from Republicans.  I apologize to Republicans then.
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#38  Edited By thatfrood

My take on your reaction:

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JasonR86
@S0ndor: 

I don't mean to offend but I think you might be giving him a pass because you like him.  At least more than me.  There's nothing wrong with liking the dude but I just don't see a string of insults as comedy.  I see them as insulting.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not immature, but I am fat and slightly lazy.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Snipzor

Although I do have the social skills of a molerat, I blame a history of weight problems/social rejection/gender identity bullshit/questionings of sexuality/body image problems/natural mental illnesses and other unmentionables (If these are the mentionables, then what are the unmentionables?!). Bill has always been one to... what's that word? Suck. The same goes to his audience. How many times can a "Sarah Palin is dumb" joke be laughed at? 

I get that he's a comedian and all, but the general rule of comedy is that you have to make something funny if you want to get away with it. Maher's technique of spamming jokes should be shunned at all times.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Wait isn't Bill Maher a comedian? So his opinion or thoughts on video games and the possible slothfulness of their consumers kinda don't matter. 
Also when your constantly hitting on girls young enough to be your granddaughter then your knowledge of "gaming culture" takes a back seat so you are forced to use hack material to cover for your ignorance on the subject at hand.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By YoThatLimp
@XII_Sniper said:

" I don't care what Bill Maher has to say, he supports PETA and doesn't believe in germ theory or vaccinations... his opinions are invalid.   And I think portraying gamers like that does more harm than good. He's a nut, plain and simple.  "

His super nutty rants of medicine and vaccination are scary, honestly liked the guy's stuff until i heard his views on certain things.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Example1013

When I watched the Bill Maher video, all I could think of was: 

"Hey Brian, if cops are pigs, does that make you a snausage?" 

"Good one Peter. Did you stay up all night thinking of that one?" 

"I got to bed around 2, 2:30."

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By samfo

Jeff Gerstmann fell asleep during a guild wars 2 interview, then joked about it... - Point made

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Meowshi

I agree with Bill Maher on a lot of things. 

When compared to other popular political commentators, he is streets ahead.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#47  Edited By fox01313

Well as someone who has a fast metabolism & 2 college degrees I sure don't feel lazy or fat while being in love with video games/game industry.

fryedrycestyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By fryedrycestyle

Personally, I believe the government, and people like Jack Thompson, need to stop singling out video games as sources of violent behavior. As has been mentioned, its simply a scapegoat for bad parenting. In addition, anyone who does commit serious acts of violence probably has some other problems that they need to deal with; it's not just caused by playing violent videogames. 

As for having Bill Maher on our side? I could honestly care less because as the topic creator said, it probably won't make much of a difference in the violent video game law passing.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Example1013

Seriously, the guy's forehead is so big. I feel like if I slew him, I'd take his forehead for a trophy and turn it into the feast table at my meadhall.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By l4wd0g
@MikeinSC said:
" @l4wd0g said:
" Let me make this statement first. I think that personal accountability for our actions is important, and I don't want or need the government censoring my media.  IF someone is negativily affected by some form of media that leads them to commit some hanous or criminal act, it is a failure on the part of the parents, and video games make for a weak scapegoat to poor parenting. In other words, violent tendencies can not spontaniouly generate in a child/adult due to violent media.  Now, let me play devil's advocate for a moment. What if they are right and violent video games do cause an increase in violent tendencies? What is the right course of action? "
Well, first, you'd have to explain why games are specifically causing violent actions when things like movies, art, and music are not. Otherwise, you'd have to explain why one time of speech is not deserving of protections while others are.  Video games do not cause violence. Never have. As pointed out, plenty of violence before Nolan Bushnell shat out an Atari. "
I think their argument is that games are interactive. You pull the trigger to fire the gun or something else like that. I don't know. Another argument they could try is arguing that games alter your mood, much like they say about music. It's a very slippery slope if the government starts regulating media, or language for that matter.