"Countries" - Why they do not exist, and why they shouldn't.

• 163 results
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By CptBedlam

@Example1013 said:

@Yagami: You are a complete and total idiot.

yagami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By yagami

@jaya6708 said:

This is actually something that I think about often, and your point about visiting Denmark for only thirty days due to where you were born is the point that resonates the most with me.

But the point is that for all the crap that comes along with it, the world needs competing idealologies, cultures, differing political perspectives etc for the same reason governments protect the standard of competition within the business world. Consolidated power is never a good thing, and whether its within a country or between them, there will always be fighting.

while it sucks, this is the way it needs to be. its a shame we cant all get along

Yeah, I totally understand where you're coming from. It truley is a fucking shame that we just can't get along.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By RazielCuts

*sigh* You're young. I remember when I first started smoking weed too..

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By AlmostSwedish

How can you possibly try to speculate on how humans should/will behave in the future, when you refuse to look at the fact. Your ideas are not new in any way, and history has proven them to be wrong over and over again.

Look, it is obvious that you are very young. It's ok. Frankly, I had some pretty moronic idealised ideas when I was younger too. I would recommend reading up on some history as well as some economics (and stay the heck away from the Zeitgeist movies!). It would do you good. You seem interested enough, and I think you will find that plenty of people smarter than both you and me have had some interesting ideas on the subject.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#55  Edited By Hailinel
@Yagami You're in college, aren't you? Don't worry. A lot of people go through this navel-gazing ridiculousness phase.
DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#56  Edited By DeeGee

I'm glad people have beaten me to the punch by saying how ridiculous this is.

You, most likely in your late teens/early twenties, a man on a message board, alone have discovered the way to solve all of the worlds problems. None of the countless billions of humans over the past 2000 years have ever thought of doing this, because they are all stupid and you alone in all of history have realised how to change the very foundation of our world.

If it worked, people would have done it by now. While it's cool to be misanthropic and all, humans are not stupid.

stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By stinky

all you have to do to get rid of your country is submit yourself to my rule.

maybe i'll be better, maybe not.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By beforet

You can combine the countries all you want, but could you combine the nations? The traditions, worldviews, and thought process of the people are what separates them, not borders.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Kung_Fu_Viking

If Japan "sunk" then surely there would be very few Japanese people left anyway.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you want to attempt to change the fundamentally held beliefs of billions of people, then yeh, go ahead. 

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Insectecutor

@Yagami said:

If a fight is needed, use the intellect.

I guess you're pretty much fucked, then.

Countries are organisational units. They exist to cater to the individual needs of their citizens and manage the resources in their local geography. Generally when things get very large they also become difficult to manage. Your argument is a little like saying "why do we have so many schools in each city? Surely if each city just had one massive school everybody would be much better educated!"

Insectecutor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Insectecutor

@babblinmule said:

@Commisar123 said:

I'm a history major, and that shit is fucked up, and that's all I'm going to say about this I withdraw from this stupid debate

I'm also a history major and yeah.... 'fucked up' is the correct response to this. Don't even know where to begin with it, and I know it'll just make me angry, so I'm backing out too.

Man come on. The people most qualified to offer something interesting or worthwhile to this awful thread just abandon it? Fuck.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By EmuLeader

@UltorOscariot said:

I think about things for more than 5 minutes, uninhibited by drugs, and that's fucked up. One world government? Really? Because nothing bad ever happens when power and money consolidate...

Yes, please put all the power in one place. That trustwothy, responsible, unselfish person/group........something seems wrong with my thought process, however I can't seem to figure out what.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@babblinmule said:

@Commisar123 said:

I'm a history major, and that shit is fucked up, and that's all I'm going to say about this I withdraw from this stupid debate

I'm also a history major and yeah.... 'fucked up' is the correct response to this. Don't even know where to begin with it, and I know it'll just make me angry, so I'm backing out too.

That makes three of us. Fucked up is the perfect description.

The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By The_Dude

Here's the thing, this is essentially the same debate as communism. You are totally right, and it would be great if things could work that way, and IF humans WERE perfect then we could probably pull that dream world off. Unfortunately, I think you are putting way to much faith in how far human conciseness has come; it just simply would not work right now, we are to corrupt.

Also earlier you mentioned "culture" being stupid or something, and the Middle East being a "shit-hole" This is where you make your own argument break down, you aren't even ready to accept other people for being different(and no matter what, people in different areas always will be). How do you think ALL humanity would act if all of a sudden we were under one government, or governed ourselves. It doesn't work, sorry dude. I honestly REALLY wish that it could work, but...get real.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Gonmog
@Still_I_Cry

@Vao said:

@Still_I_Cry said:

Sounds like it was concocted by the mind of a teenager :D who hasn't studied much history :(

That wasn't meant as an insult by the way, so please don't take it that way. I just meant that you should consult history. It tells you why your ideas would not, could not and won't ever be implemented.

History is fulled with stories of "great" men trying to unite other "misguided" countries under their beliefs thinking it would be for the greater good. The problem is the "misguided" countries have their own beliefs. Do you think Hitler thought of himself as an evil dictator, or rather from his views he though he was doing his country a favor. sames goes for Stalin, the entire Roman Empire, or any other powers in wars.

Uh, ok. :/

I read the first post and will not read all the replies. I will just say this.
Rome.
fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By fattony12000
No Caption Provided

@Yagami said:

I think the way to go is to have a Universal languages like English in order for people to understand eachother no matter where you go.

That's million bucks.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@Gonmog: I wasn't arguing against history O_o

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@Yagami said:

@Still_I_Cry said:

@Yagami: If we don't learn from the past we won't have a future.

And yet... the past that we need to think back upon is in the future.

I don't get why it isn't plausible to learn from the past and apply that to the future..

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#72  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

You're view of a world without borders will never. Let me repeat. NEVER exist. Besides man, i love my country.

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Gonmog
@Still_I_Cry man I'm sorry lol there should have been no quotes in my posting. Was Not replying to anyone other then tc. Sorry must have hitting the wrong tab on the mobile site. Sorry again for any confusion!
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Haircut

Ihmishylje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Ihmishylje

As someone who's majoring in cultural and regional studies, I'll just quote Donald Worster: "In some ultimate sense the earth may be a single living whole, but we humans do not normally see it as such nor agree on a single united response."

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By McGhee

The alternatives are a one world government which will surely devolve into a totalitarian nightmare or no governments at all which will devolve into us eating each other. I'll go with the balance of different countries, thanks.

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#77  Edited By Wraxend

"Variety is the spice of life" so the more countires the better.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By MikeGosot
@Yagami: That's a pretty cool idea, but it wouldn't work. At least not now. 
I'm sure someone here already said this but... If there were no countries anymore, and the world were under a unified government... What would happen to economy? A single coin wouldn't be able to survive in such a territory where economy is very unstable. What about culture? We would have to explain GAY RIGHTS to the Middle East. What about the Army? What if it they decided that they have the right to rule this land? It would be North Korea Deluxe. What about laws? Would the death sentence be allowed everywhere? 
Countries cannot go away, be it for historical background, be it for the rules of today. We need to go towards our Utopia a step at a time. I know the way the world is today is fucked up. Our systems aren't the best boat around, but at least it floats...
galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#79  Edited By galiant

You're oversimplifying. It will NEVER be as simple as you describe.

People have different views of what is right and what is wrong. Throw religion, culture and tradition into that mix...

Trying to create a unified world would probably create more wars and conflicts than we already have. Your ideas are noble, but it's an impossible goal.

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By bananaz

@Insectecutor: The school thing is what I was thinking. Also, states are protective units. Police push back against the thieves and gangsters that kill, rob, and claim territory even in civilized nations. Armies push back against other nations with expansionist ambitions. Even if you created an "anarchist territory," it would inevitably be annexed into somebody else's state from outside or gang territory from within.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Rudyftw

I am?

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Patman99

To say that there should be no borders would be to deny people their cultural rights. Forcing a distinct group of people to comply under a hegemonic set of rules would create more problems than it would solve. Also, by calling humans stupid you are calling yourself stupid and therefore your argument has no more merit than a person arguing for the usage of borders. By your logic, nobody wins because humans are dumb and we cannot think outside of these constraints.

So there you go, Mr. Armchair Philosopher.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Countries aren't stupid, nationalism and patriotism is.

Max_Hydrogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Max_Hydrogen

How old are you? You sound incredibly naive. There will always be countries because there will always be different languages. People need countries to protect themselves and their resources from others who would wish to control them. Look at stateless people i.e. the Jews until 1948 and the Roma even today: these people were/are persecuted but give them a country and things get better. (Yes I know there are problems in Israel and that is exactly my point: nations need clearly defined borders or else all hell breaks loose. And the Roma still have no homeland, that's why they are still persecuted.)

Countries are necessary because a nation under the control of another will always suffer and eventually disappear. That's what wars are all about. That's why the Norwegians fought to liberate themselves from Sweden and Finland wants the same thing, control over their own lives without Swedish assholes dominating their country.

A one world state simply means world tyranny. You mention equality. That's the point: when one nation dominates another, there can be no equality. But if nations have their own countries then there can be equality, provided that the military deterrence exists to convince other countries not to attack you.

You mention Japan sinking and the Japanese having no place to go. EXACTLY! They'd have nowhere to go because Japan is their country. If they all became refugees they would still speak their language and practice their culture and they would eventually declare they're Chinatown-like territory as their own country and that would cause a war, like the second season of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Nations have very different cultures. You say everyone should be equal regardless of stuff like gender. There are lot's of extremist Muslims who disagree with you on that one. What if they go live in Sweden and attack Swedish women for being topless on a beach.

SERIOUSLY, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

The one-world-state where everyone can go everywhere sorta already exists in the West. It's called Multiculturalism and it doesn't work; it just causes more bullshit that will lead to war because nations are supposed to have their own country.

Also. To get rid of countries would mean getting rid of Donkey Kong Country and I can't let that happen.

ekajarmstro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ekajarmstro

"Borders are, the gallows

Of our collective national egos

Subjective, lines in sand

In the water separating everything"

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#86  Edited By damnboyadvance

What is your alternative to countries? A set of first grade rules that governs the entire Earth? Who is going to enforce these rules? Or do you expect every race, every religion, every person to get along? How about we all sit around a giant campfire fueled by weapons we no longer need/want and sing Kumbaya?

If we did not have countries, how do you suppose we would live the lifestyle we live right now? We would have nobody to lead us. Nobody to enforce rules. A lack of government would eventually result in chaos. And if we had a single government governing the entire planet, what would prevent corruption?

I'd say that borders are not as "insane" as you think they are.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#87  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Yagami

I know what you're trying to get at, but you're looking at it the wrong way.

Countries are more than just geographical boundaries that denote a specific location, they also have their own customs, histories, and beliefs that are often specific to that region. The differences between countries are innumerable, and removing borders would not change those differences. 

If one country says sex before marriage is okay, but the other says its punishable by death, how do you decide which rule everyone follows? You can't get rid of the rules and let everyone figure it out on their own, because I will come to your house and cut your head off if there's no rules, so clearly that isn't an option. Do you decide by having all 7 billion people on Earth vote on every single issue? The logistics are completely insane, but assuming it were possible, the results would be quite interesting. 

Keep in mind that China, India, and the countries in Africa make up over half the total world population, and then think about the general beliefs and values that people living in those locations might have. I think its safe to say that if everyone in the world voted, we would probably lose a lot of the things we take for granted.

Once you remove borders and countries, you need to have some unifying law system under which everyone is accountable. Its not acceptable to just remove borders and leave it at that. So lets talk about government. 

If you get rid of all the countries, then you get rid of their respective levels of government, because its impossible to rule over a country if it doesn't exist. As touched on earlier, anarchy would be the result of no government, because there would no longer be any laws. Police can't enforce laws because they don't exist, and even if they continued enforcing the laws they currently have, with no borders, whats illegal in one location would be legal in the other, and vice versa. Just think of trying to drive on the roads! We drive on the right side in North America, but if you someone from a place where they drive on the left side comes over, they would be driving on the wrong side. Since there's no laws, they aren't doing anything wrong. I could talk forever about all the insanity that results from this, but you get the point.

So we need a government, you removed all countries and borders, so now we only have Earth, which means we need the Earth Government. A single ruling body for the entire planet. Current countries have many different types of governments, so we would need to decide which one to use. Are we giving every person a chance to vote for it? or vote for the structure of the government? Something vaguely democratic would probably be the result, I can't imagine a ton of people would be voting for a dictatorship anyways. 

Where is this government located? Probably in the largest city, which can be measured a couple of different ways, but the answer is somewhere in China. This government is now responsible for managing the needs of every single person on Earth. Think about that for a second. Now think about it again you fucking idiot. Keep in mind that any issues you may have, when the law is passed, it now affects the entire planet. You don't have regions to apply laws to other than by continent or coast, or other vague large area. Think about how your needs might differ from someone living in Africa or Asia, nearly everything about us is different from them. We eat differently, live differently, speak a different language, etc. The world government has to make decisions that affect every single person, so they need to weigh everyone's needs and compromise everything. 

Also, I don't know if you know this, but the larger an area the governing body has dominion over, the harder it is for them to relate to the needs of the people and make the right decisions. There's a reason why cities have their own local government, its because they make decisions that apply to the specific city, but might not make any sense in another city, because their situation is different. Its the same with states in the USA, one state has different needs than another, so they let them make those decisions for themselves while answering to the higher level of government that controls the entire Country, you see the same thing with provinces in Canada. 

The smaller the area a government controls, the better its ability to meet the needs of the people in its area of influence. 

By removing Countries and borders, you remove the ability for smaller government to exist and have defined areas (by borders!) that they control. 

Never mind the billions of other issues with your proposition, which anyone with common sense could talk about for days, but frankly you're crazy. Countries exist because they define geographical areas that share similar beliefs and values, united under their own law system. They exist because they are essential. 

If you want to complain about immigration laws, go ahead, there's a bunch of issues with them, but they make sense. If Japan sank, they would all be taken in as refugees and they would figure something out. The issue with immigration is that taking in too many foreign people can destroy your own cultural identity, its somewhat understandable. There are many other reasons too of course. Also, refugees are accepted into many countries, but understand that they cost the country a lot of money, so they need to take in what they can sustain. If you let 50 million starving poor people into Sweden, chances are you probably can't afford to feed and house them all. You guys pay some serious tax already, can you imagine how much it would go up by if you didn't have immigration laws that limit the amount of people that can move into your country?

Anyways, there's a godzillion other issues I could talk about forever. The point is that things are the way they are because they make sense and they work. They need to be refined and improved in the future, not removed.
Ihmishylje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Ihmishylje

The thing is, you can't just remove borders and expect shit to fall in place. We are not built for that. What you're talking about is the result, not the cause, of a beautiful ideal, namely that we scould all learn to live peacefully together and respect eachother. First we would have to learn those things, somehow, evolve as a species, so that we could begin a shift towards a more unified existence.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#89  Edited By Little_Socrates

I think you are seriously misguided and incorrect. I suggest taking some religion or world culture courses so you can understand how different our world cultures really are and how valuable each and every one of them is. I mean, alcohol is the blood of Christ in Christianity and completely illegal in Islam. Interpolating certain cultural beliefs will lead to the complete destruction of some cultures.

Also, I think you will like Confucianism, so you should pick up a copy of The Analects. Also, Confucius argues that the harmonious society you want has come and gone, both in the Shang and Western Zhou Dynasties. And it still only functions within one nation.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By kingzetta

Militaires Sans Frontieres

Avatar image for sexualbubblegumx
SexualBubblegumX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By SexualBubblegumX

Lay off the weed kid..... Remember when a grown ass man calling himself Sexual Bubblegum says Lay off the weed it's probably a good idea, cause that mother fucker has smoked a shit ton himself.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#92  Edited By JasonR86

@Yagami:

Checked your profile and, yep, you're apparently 17. This sounds like the philosophy of a 17 year old. Well, I'll keep my sarcasm to myself until you get a little older.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Imagine there's no countries. It isn't hard to do. Nothing to kill or die for, and no religion too. Imagine all the people living life in peace. You.. you may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one."

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#94  Edited By Simplexity

"War why does it exist? Can't we just stop waging wars? and why does famine exist? Can't we just give everyone enough food?"

I wish OP would wake up and join us in the real world some day, he reminds me of a miss universe contestant.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#95  Edited By Skald

@Xeiphyer said:

You can't get rid of the rules and let everyone figure it out on their own, because I will come to your house and cut your head off if there's no rules, so clearly that isn't an option.

Well, it's good to know the current regime is keeping you from decapitating people arbitrarily.

Incidentally, I also live in Calgary, and I really don't want to be eviscerated.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By singular

I always had the feeling the world would be growing together and eventually would abolish nationalism.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#97  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Skald said:

@Xeiphyer said:

You can't get rid of the rules and let everyone figure it out on their own, because I will come to your house and cut your head off if there's no rules, so clearly that isn't an option.

Well, it's good to know the current regime is keeping you from decapitating people arbitrarily.

Incidentally, I also live in Calgary, and I really don't want to be eviscerated.

Well, its a special case. I'd be pretty angry if the OP went and destroyed civilization. 

Unrelated, what's your address and what time is nobody but you home? I'm doing a... research study paper book. Its important.
Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#98  Edited By Julmust

@JasonR86: In Sweden there are people as old as fifty (based on my own experiences) that believe this shit. Socialist weirdos.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By AlmostSwedish

@Yagami: You should consider reading Brave New World (by Huxley) or Fahrenheit 451 (by Bradbury).

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Scooper

@Yagami said:

If I could decide, the entire world would be under one set of rules, that rule would be to respect each and everyone equally and to let all people have equal rights to everything, no matter what belief or sexuality or gender.

Good luck with that.