David Cronenberg to Remake His Own Remake?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

If you've ever seen Cronenberg's genius remake of The Fly, then this might come as an odd story...so read carefully and don't get too confused. 

Cronenberg is in talks with Fox to remake 1986's The Fly, which was itself a remake that Cronenberg did of the 1958 original sci-fi movie. 

So, what do you think?  Will it be awesome, or is it unnecessary?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

dont know that movie, but ive always thought about the remakes that were released 15-25 years ago and how we need yet a new remake for each one of those remakes

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By buzz_clik

The meta-machine just took a shit and died.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Monkeyman04

O_O 

I wonder if  Jeff Goldblum will reprise his roll in this remake. I doubt it though. If that's the case, then I don't think it will be that great of a movie. Then again, it is being done by the same director of the 1986 movie. 

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By SoothsayerGB

I need to see a trailer before I can rant properly.  As a fan of that Fly, I don't want it whored out.  I don't know, seems like it should be left alone.   Jeff really did a number with that role.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jakob187

Well, for anyone who never saw the original remake (weird to say it like that), I would suggest it.  Here's a trailer, but it just doesn't do the whole thing justice: 

You also have to realize that at the time of its release, the remake was a leader in special effects wizardry, as well as overall gore.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By GreggD

Yeah, the gore in that movie was...Well, to be honest I just threw up a little thinking about it. But yeah, this is a little strange.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By wrecks

Cronenberg gotta eat, needs a financial hit. And for those who haven't seen his original(remake) SHAME on YOU! Shame shame shame.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Why has no one told me about this!

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wrecks
@JeffGoldblum said:
"

"
Call your Agent.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@wrecks said:
" @JeffGoldblum said:
"

"
Call your Agent. "
If I dont get a call from Mr. Cronenberg soon for at the very least a cameo. THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY.
Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Smarter_Martyr

Michael Cera is THE FLY. Believe.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jakob187
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @wrecks said:
" @JeffGoldblum said:
"

"
Call your Agent. "
If I dont get a call from Mr. Cronenberg soon for at the very least a cameo. THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY. "
You're a has-been.  Move along, now.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

It's official: 2009 is an awful year for movies.

wrecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By wrecks
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @wrecks said:
" @JeffGoldblum said:
"

"
Call your Agent. "
If I dont get a call from Mr. Cronenberg soon for at the very least a cameo. THERE WILL BE HELL TO PAY. "
Also what is the status on The Life Aquatic 2 with Alistair Hennessey?
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@jakob187 said:

" You're a has-been.  Move along, now. "

but...but...but...
I'm in Law and Order!
and...and...and a movie with Harrison Ford that will be released in 2010!
*breaks down into tears*
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#17  Edited By Claude

Wow, that was a pretty good remake. Good luck to him. I'm still interested.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jakob187

As for my vote on who plays Seth Brundle this time around, I vote for: 

Mr. Ben Foster, aka Angel from X-Men 3, aka creepy dood from 30 Days of Night, aka Russell Crowe's sidekick in 3:10 to Yuma, aka "best young actor that's out at the moment". 

He's also the sole reason I plan on going to see Pandorum. 

This guy would knock that role out of the fucking PARK!!!

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By Arkthemaniac

The 1986 The Fly, along with John Carpenter's The Thing, is one of my favorite special effects movies. A remake would be all digital. Fuck that.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jakob187
@Arkthemaniac said:
" The 1986 The Fly, along with John Carpenter's The Thing, is one of my favorite special effects movies. A remake would be all digital. Fuck that. "
Doubtful.  Cronenberg is a whore for practical effects.  Just look at History of Violence and Eastern Promises.  He could've CGI'd the shit in there, but he didn't. 

More than likely, he'd use digital as an enhancer and not as a primary.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Video_Game_King said:
" It's official: 2009 is an awful year for movies. "
If this happens(which it probably won't) it wont come out until 2011 at the earliest.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By buzz_clik
@Arkthemaniac said:
" The 1986 The Fly, along with John Carpenter's The Thing, is one of my favorite special effects movies. A remake would be all digital. Fuck that. "
Yeah, I miss the days of practical effects. Man, The Thing was Bottin's finest hour. Well, hours. That man actually put himself in the hospital, busting a gut to make the magic happen.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jakob187
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
If this happens(which it probably won't) it wont come out until 2011 at the earliest. "
Again, it's just talks at the moment, as Cronenberg has other films on his plate at the moment.  Nonetheless, Cronenberg works quick, so I don't see why holiday 2010 would be unlikely.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Video_Game_King
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
If this happens(which it probably won't) it wont come out until 2011 at the earliest. "
Still, it began in 2009, and there aren't that many good movies this year. A lot of them seem to be sequels/revivals that nobody asked for and nobody cared about after they came out.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25  Edited By crusader8463

WWE presents, a David Cronenberg production. John Cena The Fly.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Claude
@JeffGoldblum said:
" @jakob187 said:

but...but...but... I'm in Law and Order! and...and...and a movie with Harrison Ford that will be released in 2010!*breaks down into tears* "
Don't listen to them. Jeff Goldblum is awesome. Fuck the haters. He carries a thought like none other.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jakob187
@Claude said:
" @JeffGoldblum said:
" @jakob187 said:

but...but...but... I'm in Law and Order! and...and...and a movie with Harrison Ford that will be released in 2010!*breaks down into tears* "
Don't listen to them. Jeff Goldblum is awesome. Fuck the haters. He carries a thought like none other. "
The only thing I can ever think of when someone says Jeff Goldblum is "must go faster, must go faster"... 

...especially since he said the same line the same way in Jurassic Park AND Independence Day...
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Claude
@jakob187: He's like Woody Allen in slow motion. I like that, so shoot me. Dammit do it now.
PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PercyChuggs

District 9 did the "Holy fuck, my finger nails are peeling off!" scene better.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jakob187
@PercyChuggs said:
" District 9 did the "Holy fuck, my finger nails are peeling off!" scene better. "
No, it did not!  It did it well, but have you seen the entire movie of The Fly?  There's a reason why District 9 is the way that it is...but it's still NOWHERE near as horrifying and stomach-churning as The Fly.  Seriously, it makes MY stomach uneasy, and I can withstand seeing all kinds of fucked-up shit!
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By ZombiePie

Aww Christ. Talk about one of the few movies I've walked out on, nothing aginst the actual movie, but I think I've revealed that I'm incredibly squeamish before. I remember seeing The Fly at one of my local second run theaters and they had brown paper bags in the cup holders for every seat because the theater had multiple people throwing up when watching the movie for previous showings....

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@PercyChuggs said:
" District 9 did the "Holy fuck, my finger nails are peeling off!" scene better. "
Maybe, but the fly did it first.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By RHCPfan24
@Video_Game_King said:

I beg to differ:

Nonetheless, a remake of The Fly would be...interesting to say the least. Especially since it is David Cronenberg...again. But he certainly has gained popularity since that movie over 20 years ago.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jakob187
@RHCPfan24: Yeah, definitely looking forward to that flick.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35  Edited By RHCPfan24
@jakob187: I have seen that trailer many times now and I get even more excited about it. Not only is made by my favorite directors of the last 15-so years, but the trailer itself is brilliant. I mean, hitting the head establishes a tempo throughout most of the preview; GENIUS!!!
EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By EVO

I'm not usually a fan of remakes, let alone remakes of remakes, but if anyone can do it, it's Cronenberg.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#37  Edited By Black_Rose

Why change something perfect? 

Bad idea imo.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jakob187
@Black_Rose said:
" Why change something perfect?   Bad idea imo. "
That's kind of the feeling that I get...until I remember that it's Cronenberg we're talking about here.  The man seems infallible at this point.  Also, I'd love to see what he can do in giving it a fresh spin with modern practical special effects and lens technology.  Back then, even the cameras were pretty primitive to what they can use now.  Therefore, with a solid budget and some reworking on style, I seriously think Cronenberg might actually be able to...*gasp*...make this movie better than perfect. 

Who knows?  If Cronenberg indeed signs on, then it'll be at the top of my "must see" list.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

A remake of the Fly?  When will Hollywood stop being so absurd???  I'm sick of fucking remakes.

Why don't they remake The Fly 2 & get Eric Stoltz to play the lead?  He ain't doing anything.

Hell, they can keep on making shitty movies & I'll be happy to watch the pirated, bit-torrent versions of them, because I'm not paying one red fucking cent to watch a shitty movie OR a remake.  Anyone ever see Gamer (2009)?  I watched it via bit-torrent & if I saw that at the movie theater I would have DEMANDED my $2.49 back.  It was horrible!  If you've seen the old Running Man movie or last year's Death Race REMAKE, then you've already seen Gamer. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jakob187
@Lind_L_Taylor: You must've missed the part where Cronenberg was in talks to direct the remake because of two key reasons: 
  1. He doesn't want someone else fucking it up.
  2. Plenty of acclaimed directors have been going back and revisiting their old films...and in some cases, making better movies out of them (Rescue Dawn was a great example that was cited in the original linked article).
Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ApertureSilence

I adore David Cronenberg. In fact I might even say he is my favorite director. 

That said, this is a terrible idea.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@jakob187 said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor: You must've missed the part where Cronenberg was in talks to direct the remake because of two key reasons: 
  2. Plenty of acclaimed directors have been going back and revisiting their old films...and in some cases, making better movies out of them (Rescue Dawn was a great example that was cited in the original linked article).
"
The guy needs to keep working on new movies, not old shit.  I'm sure he can think of something. If he's still into horror, why doesn't he do a new horror movie?   I noticed the past couple of movies he did were mob-based with Mortensen & they were ok.
Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Original remake of the fly starred the guy who went on to be the rubber man from Fantastic 4 right? Too lazy to imdb that shit.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By jakob187
@Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor: You must've missed the part where Cronenberg was in talks to direct the remake because of two key reasons: 
"
The guy needs to keep working on new movies, not old shit.  I'm sure he can think of something. If he's still into horror, why doesn't he do a new horror movie?   I noticed the past couple of movies he did were mob-based with Mortensen & they were ok. "
Only OK?  Eastern Promises was fucking incredible!  History of Violence was a respectful translation of the graphic novel, although like most graphic novel and comic book adaptations, it wasn't a word-for-word type of ordeal. 

Also, trying to say that a director isn't allowed to go back and fiddle with the masterpieces they created is preposterous.  If that was the case, we wouldn't have five different versions of Blade Runner to choose from.  If anything, I would say that this gives Cronenberg the ability to look at The Fly from a new point of view.  It's almost like listening to Tool's "Pushit" from Ænima and then listening to the live version of "Pushit" from Salival.  While they are both the same song, it allows the artist to see that song from a different light. 

If that is Cronenberg's point with this...to see things from a new light rather than try to just do a frame-by-frame translation with new actors (like Funny Games sadly was)...then I'm game for it!
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
@jakob187 said:
" @Lind_L_Taylor said:
" @jakob187 said:
"
The guy needs to keep working on new movies, not old shit.  I'm sure he can think of something. If he's still into horror, why doesn't he do a new horror movie?   I noticed the past couple of movies he did were mob-based with Mortensen & they were ok. "
Only OK?  Eastern Promises was fucking incredible!  History of Violence was a respectful translation of the graphic novel, although like most graphic novel and comic book adaptations, it wasn't a word-for-word type of ordeal.  Also, trying to say that a director isn't allowed to go back and fiddle with the masterpieces they created is preposterous.  If that was the case, we wouldn't have five different versions of Blade Runner to choose from.  If anything, I would say that this gives Cronenberg the ability to look at The Fly from a new point of view.  It's almost like listening to Tool's "Pushit" from Ænima and then listening to the live version of "Pushit" from Salival.  While they are both the same song, it allows the artist to see that song from a different light.  If that is Cronenberg's point with this...to see things from a new light rather than try to just do a frame-by-frame translation with new actors (like Funny Games sadly was)...then I'm game for it! "
"Different versions of Blade Runner" is the SAME movie.  It's not a complete remake, like what they are talking about with the Fly.  Cronenberg isn't going back to touch up his old movie, but start from scratch & make a new one.  Your other example has TWO different people working on the same song, not the same person re-doing their old song themselves.  I don't see the Rolling Stones going back & redoing their old albums from scratch.  Why would anyone want to?  Move forward, not backward (Kang & Kodos: & twirl ever higher!).

I think Cronenerg has just run out of ideas.  Which is a pity. John Carpenter seems to be in the same boat. Maybe the creative juices just stopped flowing.  Some people are incredibly creative in their youth & others don't become creative until they're old. It works different for everyone.  I'd say Carpenter/Cronenberg were better in their youth.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jakob187
@Gorillawhat said:

" The Original remake of the fly starred the guy who went on to be the rubber man from Fantastic 4 right? Too lazy to imdb that shit. "

No.  You are thinking of Ioan Gruffudd, who later ended up playing Tony Blair in Oliver Stone's W...and pretty much being the only good part of that whole shitshack of a movie. 

Jeff Goldblum was in The Fly.  He later went on to be in Jurassic Park and its sequel The Lost World, as well as Independence Day. 

@Lind_L_Taylor: Have you listened to the two versions of "Pushit"?  They are DRASTICALLY different.  They pretty much DID rewrite the song from scratch.  Cronenberg already has three other films on his plate at the moment:  The Talking Cure (based on a play about Carl Jung and Sigmund Freud), The Matarese Circle (based on the Robert Ludlum novel), and Cosmopolis (based on the Don DeLillo novel).  While they are all adaptations of someone else's work, it's easy to see with A History of Violence that Cronenberg is capable of putting his own unique style and mark on the adaptations of other's work.  I agree that I would rather see an original piece of work come from him, I'm perfectly fine with whatever he does.  He doesn't pick a bunch of cheap shit to do.  He seriously looks at the layers in the work he does, and THAT is why he's respected. 

So to honestly say that it's a bad idea for a masterful director to go back to his early piece of work and say "ya know, I wish I could've done this and that and this and that" to it...I'm TOTALLY down for it. 

If Scorsese were to announce tomorrow that he was going to do a remake of Mean Streets, I would say "fuck yeah".  It's not like he's doing away with the original altogether, and he's not even saying that the original one sucked.  He just wants to look at it through a fresher and wiser set of eyes with modern technology at his disposal.  There is NOTHING wrong with that.