Did you join the campaign against child abuse on FB?

• 146 results
themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By themangalist

So basically there is this campaign going on which urged facebook users to change their profile pictures to their favourite childhood show, to campaign against child abuse. Well, technically this raises awareness, but hey, it does sound pretty dumb to me.  

but that otherwise, if not for the "good cause", we wouldn't be able to see such an interesting sight on facebook. So did you change your profile pic? For the abused? or for fun?

Also, this.

EDIT: Let's change our profile pics to our favourite food next week to help end world HUNGER mofos!

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By jimi

Changed my profile pic, it may be dumb to some people but it's the thought that counts.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By natetodamax

I am aware of child abuse, so I did not change my profile picture to a cartoon character.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Sambambo

It is beyond stupid.

How the hell is it going to stop/help anything?

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

Changing your profile pic doesn't put an end to child abuse. If people want change, they need to put forth more effort than that.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By damnboyadvance

I'll change it soon, but I don't really get how it raises awareness on child abuse.

Also, can somebody help me? I need an idea for who to change it to.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

I want people to react to this like they reacted to the PETA Super Tofu Boy thing.  People saying they're going to abuse children because of this campaign.  I think that would be funny.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Sambambo
@Jimi said:
" Changed my profile pic, it may be dumb to some people but it's the thought that counts. "
How is it the thought that counts? How will your thoughts help a single child?
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BraveToaster
@damnboyadvance said:
" I'll change it soon, but I don't really get how it raises awareness on child abuse.  Also, can somebody help me? I need an idea for who to change it to. "
A cartoon character that you liked as a child. That should be easy.
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I feel like a cunt. My FB profile has been Team Rocket for like two months, and now because some cunt wanted to do some charity for kids they think I am behind that? Fuck you.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By benpack

I didn't, but on the other hand I've seen people come out and say "I'm actually gonna do something and donate, not just change my picture." They wouldn't have done this without the pictures. 
And people are talking about it, which is the goal, so it seems like they've succeeded in their intentions. Just something to think about.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By gamb1t

Nope cause it doesnt help any. If people cared they would donate money or volunteer for something. Infact this isnt myspace this is facebook.

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

I don't mind people doing it but when they start posting on my wall telling me to do it and asking me why I haven't changed my picture then it pisses me off.  

But it is totally pointless and does absolutely fuck all to stop the problem. 

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By rjayb89

I do not have this facebook you speak of.  Therefore, shake the baby.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I did not join it.
I will not support it anywhere but inside my head.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Afroman269
@Axxol said:
" Changing your profile pic doesn't put an end to child abuse. If people want change, they need to put forth more effort than that. "
xMP44x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17  Edited By xMP44x

I am aware of child abuse, but I do not think changing my Facebook photo to a cartoon character will change it. It seems like a pointless, not to mention foolish, method of drawing attention to child abuse. Cartoons do not reflect one's stance on anything at all, really. 

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By themangalist

@SuperSambo said:

" @Jimi said:

" Changed my profile pic, it may be dumb to some people but it's the thought that counts. "
How is it the thought that counts? How will your thoughts help a single child? "
We have fond childhood memories, and so shows on the pic (innocence). Some kids are less lucky, and...

ya. bullcrap really.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BraveToaster

Donating money doesn't put an end to child abuse. Sure, this whole profile picture change "has people talking", but will it have a major impact on abused and abusers? I highly doubt that.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By XenoNick

I changed mine to a pic of Optimus Prime.  I know this campaign wont change anything thought I'd join in anyways

Entus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Entus
@Afroman269 said:
" @Axxol said:
" Changing your profile pic doesn't put an end to child abuse. If people want change, they need to put forth more effort than that. "
"
Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Three0neFive
@Entus said:
" @Afroman269 said:
" @Axxol said:
"
"
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Vinny_Says
@Entus said:
" @Afroman269 said:
" @Axxol said:
"
"
cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cnlmullen

Cute idea -- reminding a person what its like to be a kid to prevent them from abusing a child. 

I don't think it would work, but it's a cute idea. 

jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jimi
@themangalist said:
"  
 @SuperSambo said:

" @Jimi said:

How is it the thought that counts? How will your thoughts help a single child? "
We have fond childhood memories, and so shows on the pic (innocence). Some kids are less lucky, and...  ya. bullcrap really. "
I'm not saying my thoughts will help, however it does raise awareness. The point is to provoke further action. 

Besides, what is the harm in doing it?
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By beej
@Jimi said:
" @themangalist said:
"  
 @SuperSambo said:

" @Jimi said:

We have fond childhood memories, and so shows on the pic (innocence). Some kids are less lucky, and...  ya. bullcrap really. "
I'm not saying my thoughts will help, however it does raise awareness. The point is to provoke further action.  Besides, what is the harm in doing it? "
Arguably doing stuff like this (or donating a few dollars) gives people the notion that they've done their part towards the issue and that in some ways it's resolved. This means that you could be seeing people avoiding engaging in behavior that actually works towards solving problems, as you admit the picture change has no real benefit but it could potentially harm the cause.
Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Damian

My current profile picture
 My current profile picture
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

If it gets even one person to donate then what harm is it doing? I did it, I figured why the Hell not?

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Death_Unicorn
@Damian: You are a banner carrier for the fight against child abuse. Congratulations!
jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jimi
@beej said:
" @Jimi said:
" @themangalist said:
"  
 @SuperSambo said:

" @Jimi said:

I'm not saying my thoughts will help, however it does raise awareness. The point is to provoke further action.  Besides, what is the harm in doing it? "
Arguably doing stuff like this (or donating a few dollars) gives people the notion that they've done their part towards the issue and that in some ways it's resolved. This means that you could be seeing people avoiding engaging in behavior that actually works towards solving problems, as you admit the picture change has no real benefit but it could potentially harm the cause. "
That is a fair point. However generally the people that will avoid doing anything further would not have even thought about it in the first place. It is debatable but in my opinion it is better that they spare a thought and not do anything due to laziness rather than not being aware and neglecting the issue altogether.
TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheGremp

Last time I checked, December was Pokemon profile picture month.  

LUDICOLO LUDICOLO

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck no.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By beej
@Jimi: It is debatable, after posting that I went looking for the article I'd read that suggested that problems like that occurred with a different issue (affirmative action) but I couldn't find it. So we can just leave it at that I guess.
Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Fuck this shit. It does nothing and makes zero sense. It is just a popularity thing and a way for people to make themselves feel good. 

However, I must admit, seeing all those pictures of the old shows makes me want to post a picture of Mummies Alive. Just cause I'm Egyptian. Bababoie bababoie bababoie

Avatar image for purple_proletarius
Purple_Proletarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still not as bad as when girls put up "I like it on the bed" "I like it sideways" during breast cancer month. Does nothing but confuse, then anger people, compounded by the fact that breast cancer has become a marketing tool.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By scarace360

One i dont like facebook and two i hate children so if they get abused i really dont give a fuck.

ShadowKing7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShadowKing7
@Damian:
"slow clap" 

That's great, I love it XD.  Bravo, good sir, bravo.
Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Damian
@Death_Unicorn said:
" @Damian: You are a banner carrier for the fight against child abuse. Congratulations! "
Aw man! I gotta carry a banner now? I just wanted to post a picture and be done with it.
MegaGoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MegaGoat

Some children need to be abused
I suggest awareness be raised for that cause

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By eric_buck

God you'd think people on the internet could not be such cynical assholes all the time? It's just a fun little thing to do, which at the very least will raise some awareness. It's not causing any harm so what's the problem? 

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Toxin066

December is Pokemon Profile Picture month. We can be aware of child abuse some other month.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#43  Edited By BeachThunder

Let's raise awareness for genital herpes by changing out avatars to pictures of our genitals!

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Pazy

Though I appreciate the sentiment I dont see how it will change anything. There are some organisations which could possibly help lessen the amount of Child Abuse, and I do hope it does, but the person who decides to regularly beat a child does now care that my current Facebook avatar is a Care Bear, not for the sake of raising awareness just for the fun of it, and I doubt much cares that its an illegal action.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By dragonzord
@Eric_Buck said:

" God you'd think people on the internet could not be such cynical assholes all the time? It's just a fun little thing to do, which at the very least will raise some awareness. It's not causing any harm so what's the problem?  "

It's not causing any harm. It's also not causing any help. If anything it just strikes me as some fad that's using child abuse as its scapegoat. 

http://www.restoretroubledteens.com/about-us.html    

That's where people should link. 
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Osaladin

I did, I don't think it will change anything, but well, the girl I'm pursuing told me to do it, and she has a vagina.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By neoepoch

There is a difference between a spanking and abuse, and anyone who advocates for abuse, I hope you go to hell because abuse is not a fucking laughing matter.

I agree that while the sentiment is nice, this is not the best way to deal with child abuse. It may raise awareness a little but it doesn't do much else.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Lukeweizer

Changing my picture won't stop people from beating children.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#49  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I did before knowing why everyone else was doing it.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By Blackout62
@Damian: You rock so hard sir.