#1  Edited By torus
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By torus

Haven't seen one of these in a while. Lets see what kind of theological beliefs GB members have! 

This is NOT a religious debate, please keep it out of this thread. 

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By buzz_clik

E, please.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kmdrkul

A)

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Dalai

Figures I'm the first one to choose A.  Apparently I'm a minority here.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By torus

Remember kids, the larger sample size, the more accurate the poll is.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By Claude

E. Stick it to the man. I got free will motherfucker.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By JJOR64

A for me.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond

I'm E, except I believe there is a chance for a creator of some kind, but definitely not a 'god'.  Possibly something you could think more of a programmer, or a mechanic.

I base this on the statistically probability & scientific fact that we could simulate at least the planet Earth within our own universe as we know it fairly easily.  If there was known life on nearly every world in this universe, that'd be one thing, but with a computer the size of say, Jupiter, we could simulate the entire world we know today exactly, flawlessly, in theory.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By torus

I'm surprised there aren't more votes for F. I suspect deism is more common in an older demographic.

SilvarusLupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By SilvarusLupus

E. Strong E.

Avatar image for deactivated-61da50756e1e4
deactivated-61da50756e1e4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Where is my don't care option?

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By torus

I wonder why the traditional Asiatic beliefs are so poorly represented. I guess the poll is still small though.

yeahno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By yeahno

Deism is a very loose religion. Some Deist do believe that God intervenes. I was researching at one point. It seemed like the main point of deism was that they believe in a god not by faith, but by reason. Like "oh my god, the human body is so complicated, I can't leave that to coincidence. there must be a god" I am agnostic, but I really do enjoy this reason for a god. I guess you could say could be toppling on this side of the fence.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By torus
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" Where is my don't care option? "
That's called not voting.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GreggD

Agnostic.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheJollyRajah

I think both A and E are dumb choices. You can't know if there is a god or if there is not a god. That's why I go with C. 

But by the modern definition, I'm an atheist. The definition in this poll is wrong, because not all atheists claim there is no god. They just simply have no reason to believe in one.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Claude

Is it possible to have a spiritual experience when declaring yourself an atheist? 

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By torus
@TheJollyRajah said:
" I think both A and E are dumb choices. You can't know if there is a god or if there is not a god. That's why I go with C.  But by the modern definition, I'm an atheist. The definition in this poll is wrong, because not all atheists claim there is no god. They just simply have no reason to believe in one. "
No, the poll is not wrong. The option for what you mentioned is D, strong agnostic. 
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By torus
@Claude said:
" Is it possible to have a spiritual experience when declaring yourself an atheist?  "
As long as you believe that the spiritual experience was a product of your brain, and not metaphysical. That's perfectly legitimate.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Black_Rose

Other: Haruhiist

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By Suicrat

There are two real choices in this debate: either you believe something outside of existence is responsible for existence or existence exists. All the other options are evasive maneuvers.

I chose 'E', the closest  to the axiom "existence exists".

And torus, are you ever going to explain to me why I'm mistaken about social contract theory? At this point, the thread in which we ensued that discussion is long-dead, so maybe you should start a new thread defending social contract theory.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25  Edited By ThePhantomnaut
@torus said:
" @ThePhantomnaut said:
" Where is my don't care option? "
That's called not voting. "
And I did! :P
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Claude
@torus said:
" @Claude said:
" Is it possible to have a spiritual experience when declaring yourself an atheist?  "
As long as you believe that the spiritual experience was a product of your brain, and not metaphysical. That's perfectly legitimate. "
Genes, chemicals and a whole bunch of shit, piss and vinegar.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Suicrat
@torus said:
" @Claude said:
As long as you believe that the spiritual experience was a product of your brain, and not metaphysical. That's perfectly legitimate. "
Supernatural and metaphysical are not the same thing.

Atheists can be spiritual, and they can embrace systems of metaphysics, but that is not the same as embracing the supernatural. Which is what the notion of god is, by definition.

Let's not conflate the notion of supernatural with the philosophical concept of metaphysics.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I don't believe in God or Heaven or Hell or anything like that, so yes, I am an athiest. However, athiests seem to often be viewed as anarchists or something, which isn't really true. Just because I don't believe in God, it doesn't mean I'm a bad person. I still have a lot of morals and always try to do the right thing in life. Heck, man. I think I'm generally a better person that most religious people. Not that I'm saying that religious people are below me or anything of that sort, but I think I follow good morals better than a lot of religious folks. Personally, I just don't believe there's some greater controlling force or some magical place that there's no evidence of. 

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By calidan777

Wow, there are a lot of Atheist on the Giantbomb. Just sayin'.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Claude
@TheGreatGuero said:
" I don't believe in God or Heaven or Hell or anything like that, so yes, I am an athiest. However, athiests seem to often be viewed as anarchists or something, which isn't really true. Just because I don't believe in God, it doesn't mean I'm a bad person. I still have a lot of morals and always try to do the right thing in life. Heck, man. I think I'm generally a better person that most religious people. Not that I'm saying that religious people are below me or anything of that sort, but I think I follow good morals better than a lot of religious folks. Personally, I just don't believe there's some greater controlling force or some magical place that there's no evidence of.  "
I like the story of Jesus, and I like the history of the bible. That's another misconception. I probably read the bible more than some Christians.
Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Famov

Debate is the whole point! I do not want to just state my opinion and leave it unjustified! 

Well, I think I need proof a God's existance before I believe one exists, and I will be forced to assume that there is not one until I am given reason to see things differently.  

What's more important to me is that I carry this mentality as a conservative. Unless American conservatives want to not be the laughing stock of the intellectual communities, we must secularize our philosophy.
chinakat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By chinakat

I chose D. because, my view is the "I don't know" view. Meaning I don't know, I just live life. Could there be a god, sure. I just personally think that it's probably unlikely.  But hey, I could be wrong. That's my view on the subject.
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By torus
@ThePhantomnaut said: 
And I did! :P "
Give yourself a pat on the back. 

@Suicrat said:
" There are two real choices in this debate: either you believe something outside of existence is responsible for existence or existence exists. All the other options are evasive maneuvers.I chose 'E', the closest  to the axiom "existence exists".
While reductionistic ontology is interesting, this poll was more meant to measure personal religious belief, which (while related) is a far less intellectual matter for most people. 

@Suicrat said:
And torus, are you ever going to explain to me why I'm mistaken about social contract theory? At this point, the thread in which we ensued that discussion is long-dead, so maybe you should start a new thread defending social contract theory. "
I wasn't going to, no- I was annoyed at myself that I was pulled into that kind of debate again. However, since I'm bored out of my skull, and awfully flattered that you are so interested in my opinion, I'll PM you with my explanation. Care to send me a refresher on what your side of it is?
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Suicrat
@Claude said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
" I don't believe in God or Heaven or Hell or anything like that, so yes, I am an athiest. However, athiests seem to often be viewed as anarchists or something, which isn't really true. Just because I don't believe in God, it doesn't mean I'm a bad person. I still have a lot of morals and always try to do the right thing in life. Heck, man. I think I'm generally a better person that most religious people. Not that I'm saying that religious people are below me or anything of that sort, but I think I follow good morals better than a lot of religious folks. Personally, I just don't believe there's some greater controlling force or some magical place that there's no evidence of.  "
I like the story of Jesus, and I like the history of the bible. That's another misconception. I probably read the bible more than some Christians. "
Seriously? How anyone could embrace the ethical conceptions of Christianity without the metaphysical conceptions is beyond me.

So total selflessness is ideal? Even if you don't get any reward? Not even in death?

You like the history of the Bible? You like the fact that the Roman Empire was split in two by a debate as to whether Jesus was actually divine? You like the fact that entire gospels were omitted because they preached a form of religious and sexual freedom that isn't found in the rest of the texts? The fact that the entirety of the Jacobian Bible is a political document is something you 'like'?

What the fuck?
calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By calidan777
@Suicrat said:
" @Claude said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:
I like the story of Jesus, and I like the history of the bible. That's another misconception. I probably read the bible more than some Christians. "
Seriously? How anyone could embrace the ethical conceptions of Christianity without the metaphysical conceptions is beyond me.

So total selflessness is ideal? Even if you don't get any reward? Not even in death?

You like the history of the Bible? You like the fact that the Roman Empire was split in two by a debate as to whether Jesus was actually divine? You like the fact that entire gospels were omitted because they preached a form of religious and sexual freedom that isn't found in the rest of the texts? The fact that the entirety of the Jacobian Bible is a political document is something you 'like'?

What the fuck? "
lol, you like this shit don't you, religious debates I mean.
zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#36  Edited By zyn

E.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By spazmaster666

There's no such thing as an agnostic (especially since the question is about "belief"), but anyway I chose A.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Suicrat

@calidan777 said:

" @Suicrat said:

" @Claude said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:

What the fuck? "
lol, you like this shit don't you, religious debates I mean. "
I like debating in general. I like conflict in word form. It's far less bloody than conflict in physical form. Not only that, in word-conflict, both parties learn something. For instance, I have a feeling I'm about to learn how and why I over-stated Claude's preferences, and what particular aspects of Christian morality he likes, and why these aspects are perfectly acceptable.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By masternater27
@spazmaster666 said:
" There's no such thing as an agnostic, but anyway I chose A. "
Do explain?
Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mourne

There always seems to be just one of these topics when I come around. It's almost like... it calls me.

That said, lots of agnostics and atheists among our ranks. Torch them!

(Joking. I'm an atheist myself.)

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Shadow

I don't know.  Probably agnostic.  There may or may not be a god, but there is DEFINITELY not an afterlife.

ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By ErgoProxy77

"Lighthouses are more useful than churches." Benjamin Franklin

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By calidan777
@Suicrat said:
"   @calidan777 said:

" @Suicrat said:

" @Claude said:
" @TheGreatGuero said:

What the fuck? "
lol, you like this shit don't you, religious debates I mean. "
I like debating in general. I like conflict in word form. It's far less bloody than conflict in physical form. Not only that, in word-conflict, both parties learn something. For instance, I have a feeling I'm about to learn how and why I over-stated Claude's preferences, and what particular aspects of Christian morality he likes, and why these aspects are perfectly acceptable. "
Hey I'm not knockin' it man, I like reading other people's debates when they're good. I look forward to seeing if your prediction is correct.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Claude
@Suicrat said:

You like the history of the Bible?

What the fuck? "
Like should have been love. I love the history of the bible. But that accounts for my understanding of where the bible came from, how it was manipulated. The history of the bible goes beyond the words for me, but more how the words became what they are. The mystery of searching for the truth. You have to start somewhere. I like our human history. Some authors and their scribes lived a long time ago, to say we can't learn from them is arrogant and naive. 

As for Jesus, good story. Shoot me.
spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By spazmaster666
@masternater27 said:

" @spazmaster666 said:

Do explain? "
The question is about belief. Agnosticism is not about belief, rather it concerns the viewpoint that one doesn't or is incapable of knowing empirically that a God exists. It's like me asking you if you believed in Santa Claus and you answered "I don't know." "I don't know" is not a proper answer to a question concerning belief. Either you believe or you don't, there's no middle ground when it comes to belief. The same thing applies to theism. Either you believe in God and are a theist or you don't believe in God and are an atheist. Saying "I don't know if God exists" is basically dodging the question altogether since we're not talking about whether or not you "know" God exists but if you "believe" that God exists.
ErgoProxy77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By ErgoProxy77
@TheJollyRajah: Spot on sir.  The possibility of something can never be zero.  
Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Babble
@masternater27 said:
" @spazmaster666 said:
Do explain? "
Technically you can't just be "agnostic". You can be an Agnostic Atheist or a Gnostic Atheist or even an Agnostic Theist or a Gnostic Theist. Agnostic is merely saying you're not sure, so saying you are an Agnostic Atheist means you think there is no god, but you can't say for sure.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By FunExplosions

Wow, more Atheists than I thought. If you visited my town you would get me and... well just me. Then again the Giant Bomb community is a lot different than my small town.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Suicrat
@calidan777: I make no claim to be prescient ;)

But here are the things most people take as morally good from The Passion of the Christ:

-Helping the poor

-Aiding the sick and injured

-Rejecting false values (i.e., the story of the money-changers is essentially a metaphor for people who obtain value through the disparity in notions and facts)

But the problem is, these 3 positive facets are not unique to any religion, and they certainly are not unique to religiosity; and they are ultimately contradicted by the demand for blind faith, and the supremacy of death. (Jesus' noblest act, according to the text of the Bible, was dying.)