Do you believe in underwater lore?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

Like Atlantis, or Hy-Brasil, and other non-underwater lore? I think it's pretty interesting, and while everyone has different beliefs and interests, I think while it may or may not be real, we should still try and see if it's real or not. Has anyone ever heard of Hy-Brasil? Maybe I shouldn't take what I see on a TV program for granted, but on some shows they bring up some interesting things. I am often skeptical and take a realist point of view on things (like anything ghost related), but I was just watching one the xfinity.com a part of the show Ancient Aliens (which I often laugh at), where two men in the USAF back in the 80's saw a UFO land near them, and one of the guys touched the ship and got a code imprinted in his mind (I know, "HOW FUCKING FAKE!), but when it was cracked recently, it said:

EXPLORATION [of] HUMANITY

52 09' 42.532" N

13 13' 12.69" W

CONTI [NUOUS]

FOR PLANETARY ADVAN [CE]

Which is navigational coordinates to Hy-Brasil.

OK, OK, so I know, I shouldn't even be making a thread about this "nonsense", and while I am one to often brush off such things as just for TV entertainment and no real significance, this kind of interested me only because I'm into things that could be real, and how things started, and where we're headed. So, what do you think? Oh, and sorry for the terrible typing. I feel like humanity is too fixated on what's right in front of them, and not so much what's out there. With current technology such as phones and internet, it doesn't leave a lot of room for discovery of our surroundings in reality. Eh, maybe I'm just talking shit. Whatever, sorry to those that aren't interested in what I even had to say here, but it just got into my mind and hasn't left yet. Like I said, I'm not one to believe in these things, but I don't just want to push it aside until I figure out if it's real or not. I don't want people to believe I'm naive or ignorant about such things of course.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By N7

WHAT. THE. FUCK. ARE. YOU. SAYING!?!? - Ryan Davis.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I don't like this! Oceans scare the shit out of me!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@NTM: Interesting topic, I think.

I'd have to dig deeper into the Hy-Brasil business to come to a concrete conclusion, but from the link you provided it certainly seems like there was possibly something there, at some point. The question of "where the hell did it go?" is a great one. If there are apparently all of these first-hand accounts and maps detailing the location of this mysterious island that no one has even found a sign of, I think it's worth investigating. You know, if only to know for sure.

What I'm most intrigued by is the "eyewitness accounts" detailing the look of Hy-Brasil. From the sounds of the descriptions in the link provided, it sounds like some kind of El Dorado or something similar. And the idea that they were an "advanced civilization" is curious as well. I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I am curious as to how advanced they could've been. One presumes from the link provided that they were relatively closed off from other civilizations. So how did they get all of the materials necessary for gold-plated domes and spiral towers?

Welp, I'm about to spend the rest of my night in Google's search engine. Thanks.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5  Edited By spiceninja

Aquaman is the one true God.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

@Oldirtybearon: Well, there's this thing where people believe that "aliens" are the creators, and/or in the distant past our ancestors (if you will) had help from the aliens to make such civilizations, where even our archaeologists can't figure out how some of these ancient cites were built, because the stones that were used to make them were too heavy and are cut so perfectly to a point humans of today would either have an extremely hard time to do or it'd simply be an impossible task.

We think that back then people weren't as smart as we are, because well, we invented technology and all, but how could they have built such things with the limited resources they had at their time, or the limited resources we believe they had. I think it's quite interesting, but it's not really a matter that sticks in my mind for too long, and I don't often think of it. Still though, if I ventured across the world to places such as this, I would have the same thought process as those "crazy" archaeologists out there.

It's not just about these places that could have been, but also places we've seen, and just don't know how they were built. I sound crazy, ha ha. I think my point is (though subtle); we need to change our focus on things that don't readily seem important, because if we put our minds to it, we could discover things never before seen from our modern eyes. Too much focus on politics and equality in this world. Too much focus on the little things like what his girlfriend or her boyfriend said on Facebook. I wish money wasn't as important as it is, because that limits so many opportunities from things that seem so easy to get into.

WE NEED TO LIVE IN A STAR TREK WORLD! Ha ha, just kidding.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I think it's good for humanity to explore more of the ocean in general, new discoveries are always great things, but why search specifically for something for which there's so little tangible evidence? I don't mean to be offensive but why not search for other things of lore like unicorns or dragons? I think people in general are too fixated on what's in front of them but in general I think the scientific community does a very good job of looking beyond the obvious and really trying to explore and find out everything we can about our reality, but it's important that it be done in a rational way or we're not going to get proper results.

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HaltIamReptar

@NTM: Of course they are as "smart" as we are, and to say otherwise is ridiculous. We wouldn't have our current technology without iterating on the technology of the past. The only difference between the man of yesterday and now is the ease of communication.

Also, when Plato was discussing Atlantis, he said pretty explicitly that the concept was a mind-game, a thought experiment; "Wouldn't it be cool if..."

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By McGhee

I'm more interest in the Reptoid infiltration of the leadership and entertainment sectors of human society.

THEY ARE AMONG US. WE WILL BE THEIR SLAVES. PLANET X IS ON ITS WAY.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By laserbolts

Great white sharks would eat everything so no.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By beforet

Do I believe that a city state roughly twice the size of Asia sank beneath the sea because of its decadence with more treasure than you could shake a polis at? No. Do I think that some city, maybe a big one, was pulled underwater due to natural disasters? Of course, it's happened before! Port Royal basically sank, right?

Me, I'm pretty sure that we haven't actually explored half that shit that makes up the ocean and there are probably a lot of cool shits in there. And if we can't explore space, we might as well start with water.

I know nothing about Hy-Brasil. This is the first I've heard about it.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rollingzeppelin

Another legendary sunken city is called Ys, if you're interested in these things. I think it's all a bunch of bull, the greater mysteries that the ocean holds are in it's deepest depths. We only know of a tiny percentage of the living creatures down there. The discoveries to be made will be fascinating.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By George_Hukas

After our civilization is long gone, I hope future explorers attempt to piece together our culture, only to spend absurd amounts of time and resources looking for Santa's Workshop.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wasn't Atlantis just a fictional city Plato made up to make a point?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ShaggE

I believe in life after love, but that's about it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NTM

@Gamer_152 said:

I think it's good for humanity to explore more of the ocean in general, new discoveries are always great things, but why search specifically for something for which there's so little tangible evidence? I don't mean to be offensive but why not search for other things of lore like unicorns or dragons? I think people in general are too fixated on what's in front of them but in general I think the scientific community does a very good job of looking beyond the obvious and really trying to explore and find out everything we can about our reality, but it's important that it be done in a rational way or we're not going to get proper results.

I agree. And I wasn't really saying that this is the one thing we need to go after, but I was pointing out that is something interesting. I do think there's more to this world (and universe alike) that meets our eye (obviously), and it seems like humanity isn't advancing at a fast enough rate. Well, for me at least. I need to see space travel before my life ends around 2060. Ha ha. No, but all of that aside, I agree with what you say and we have to be realistic. Man, if we could just get over this equality thing, and what country is better than the other, we could move on to more interesting and positive things.

It's like everyone at this time being, is 50/50 on things, we all want to be accepted and I think to a certain extent, (almost) everyone no matter what your beliefs, nationality, or your views are as whole, deep down, cares for another, but it's always contradicted by our goal of striving to be "normal" to others around. Time and time again, you'll hear someone say we need to get past that and move on, and it's very much true, we do, so we can look into other goals such as where we came from and where we are headed, because it seems like for the longest time, we've been stuck in a rut by the hindrances of topics that aren't needed. I feel like I'm just bring up dumb and retread points, sorry.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NTM

@George_Hukas said:

After our civilization is long gone, I hope future explorers attempt to piece together our culture, only to spend absurd amounts of time and resources looking for Santa's Workshop.

Actually, what will happen is our world and humanity will be far different as we know it in the far far future, by that time, humanity will have reached other planets, no human would be present on Earth any longer for an unknown reason, so another race colonizes Earth, living on it for roughly 165 million years, until it's destroyed from a huge asteroid. This couple named Adam and Eve from another distant planet we don't yet know about are shot off from a space capsule, and sent to an unknown planet to them which is later known as Earth. Meaning, life is just one big loop. Ha ha, no. I don't think that. Although, it's just as possible as other theories.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By avidwriter

There are many many things in our oceans that we don't know. However no I don't believe there any cities. Giant monsters? Maybe.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@NTM: There's no need to be sorry. Of course if people could be more accepting of each other's differences and make sure that the world was equal, this planet would be a much better place to live on, but I wonder how much that really has to do with the scientific advancement of the species, I don't see the two as being directly related in any really strong way. It's a bit of a side point but I also don't think our beliefs and views always contradict our desire to be accepted by society, in fact in the majority of situations peoples' beliefs and views seem to fit in rather well with the society around them.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By mikemcn

@PeasantAbuse said:

I don't like this! Oceans scare the shit out of me!

Clearly you have some unresolved emotional issues, where did the Ocean touch you? It's ok, it can't get you now, we're landlocked.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By audiosnow

I believe that civilizations overwhelmed by the ocean could exist. Pompeii shows just how little it takes for a human construct to be removed. Any number of natural disasters could submerge a island or coastal city. I don't believe that aliens visited them, or that aliens even exist, however.

@Gamer_152: I believe we have dragons pretty well sewn up. The word "dinosaur" wasn't invented until 1842, so before that time the common term for six-ton, scaled monstrosities was "dragon." Time and exaggeration added the wings and fire-breathing.

As for the unicorn, why couldn't a horse-like animal with an ivory or bone tusk/horn have existed? I'm certain we'd be laughing at the idea of the Norwhal if not for their lack of extinction.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

@avidwriter: Well that should calm those with Thalassophobia.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

@mlarrabee said:

I believe that civilizations overwhelmed by the ocean could exist. Pompeii shows just how little it takes for a human construct to be removed. Any number of natural disasters could submerge a island or coastal city. I don't believe that aliens visited them, or that aliens even exist, however.

@Gamer_152: I believe we have dragons pretty well sewn up. The word "dinosaur" wasn't invented until 1842, so before that time the common term for six-ton, scaled monstrosities was "dragon." Time and exaggeration added the wings and fire-breathing.

As for the unicorn, why couldn't a horse-like animal with an ivory or bone tusk/horn have existed? I'm certain we'd be laughing at the idea of the Norwhal if not for their lack of extinction.

I don't quite understand the point you're trying to make about dragons, but the search for dragons and the search for dinosaurs are very different things. As for the unicorn, yes, that could have existed, but a lot of things could have existed. What I'm saying is that it wouldn't make sense to search unicorns specifically before we had some proper evidence of unicorns. If we search the oceans and find a sunken coastal city, great, but we shouldn't make the assumption that we're going to find Atlantis because there are stories about Atlantis, just like we shouldn't make the assumption that we'll find dragons because there are stories about dragons.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ArcLyte

Not atlantis, but i really think Graham Hancock is on to something when he hypothesizes that a rise in sea levels in the area of 400ft (the same rise in sea levels that is interpreted as the flood that is spoken of in the bible, and sacred texts of countless other civilizations and religions), hid the remains of an advanced sea faring civilization that existed more than 10,000 years ago. The civilization that passed on the knowledge of astronomy, architecture, engineering and math onto the egyptians, myans, and other similar ancient civilizations. this is not ancient astronaut theory he's talking about.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By intro

I want to believe. That type of stuff interest me OP, but I honestly can't believe it until there's more proof.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By fox01313

Just any of them with Lovecraftian overtones (Rhyleh, Dagon, ect.).

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By audiosnow

@Gamer_152: I don't disagree with you. Any scientific research endeavor should be justified with a reasonable cause. I was merely pointing out that most people's views of those two "mythical" species are perhaps skewed. And my point about dragons was simply that I believe what we call dragons from myth are dinosaurs from archaeology.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ssj4raditz

If SeaQuest DSV taught me anything, it's that the oceans are more dangerous than anything else anywhere.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ichthy

@Video_Game_King said:

Pretty much.

Avatar image for thewholedamnshow
TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheWholeDamnShow

Fish are friends. Not food.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NTM

@Intro said:

I want to believe. That type of stuff interest me OP, but I honestly can't believe it until there's more proof.

Yeah, agreed. As goes for everything else.

devitiffany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By devitiffany

I'd like to thing there is something within the depths of the ocean since not a whole lot as mapped out. The one that interests me the most was called Bloop, it was a odd sound picked up be a submarine that no machine or known animal could recreate. There have been few cases of people hearing a "bloop"-like sound deep within the Ocean and if you check to coordinates of each one they all seem to triangulate around the coordinates Lovecraft had originally stated R'yleth is supposed to be. It's rather interesting.

CountRockula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By CountRockula

Hey guys, we talking about the next Uncharted in here?

spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By spudtastic

I love the achaeological mystery shows, and the great ruins, regardless of what the show concludes about it. I think the Bentwaters UFO incident you describe.occurred, as the soldiers put their rep on the line for reporting it. I don't think peeps from distant planets visit here; if not a hoax then it's demonic. .....critters already here in the atmos in every instance.

VisceralWhimsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By VisceralWhimsy

@DeviTiffany said:

I'd like to thing there is something within the depths of the ocean since not a whole lot as mapped out. The one that interests me the most was called Bloop, it was a odd sound picked up be a submarine that no machine or known animal could recreate. There have been few cases of people hearing a "bloop"-like sound deep within the Ocean and if you check to coordinates of each one they all seem to triangulate around the coordinates Lovecraft had originally stated R'yleth is supposed to be. It's rather interesting.

Yes, that is really interesting to think about. There is still so much about our oceans we don't know about; there are limitless possibilities of the things that could be down in their depths. The idea of ruins, Atlantis -- or not, is highly alluring and so is the idea of what we could learn from something like that. Even without the mythic approach, the new species of creatures are entertaining enough. It doesn't hurt to think about the Lovecraftian approach either. :)

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TheHumanDove

ancient. aliens

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By nintendoeats

@Video_Game_King said:

Why is it you that knows the thing that I was going to say? Did you crush Plato for proposing the possibility of a city greater than the collective lunar states?

Seriously, you come up in the oddest places VGK.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Video_Game_King

@nintendoeats:

I wasn't alive when Plato was around, so I couldn't do shit about him. As for that last line, have you seen my post count?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By nintendoeats

@Video_Game_King: Wait, are you saying that you are subject to the dictates of time? WE HAVE FOUND YOUR WEAKNESS!!!!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Video_Game_King

@nintendoeats:

You forget that the crown on my head allows me to become Stocke or Crono or the Prince or Link, meaning I can make time my bitch and you'd be none the wiser.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I believe in that underwater noise they picked up out in the Pacific. Cthulhu Fhtagn!

turbo_toaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By turbo_toaster

I like wondering about stuff. I think we've really lost that ability which is a shame, wondering and dreaming are how cool things come to life. I think there's a lot of merit in the concept of exploring ourselves and making ourselves better before we can explore space. I'm sure there's a hell of a lot we don't know in terms of ancient civilizations and will probably never know, it feels like that stuff is locked down pretty tight or long since destroyed. Sometimes you gotta wonder if there were societies that worked really well and yet we ended up in another cannibalistic system. History repeats but you can't exactly learn from it if it's missing bits and pieces.

TV conspiracy theory shows are high-caliber goofy, god bless them.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By SSully

@DeviTiffany: This is my first time hearing about this and its pretty damn awesome. Apparently there are a few other famous noises like this, but none have many theories as to what they are. One called "Slow Down" has the theory that it is ice moving in antartica, most likely the ice is scrapping against the ground, making this loud noise.

All in all I find this stuff to be extremely terrifying. The thought of what is down in our ocean, the sheer claustrophobic nature of being that far underwater, and the fear of drowning all make the idea of ocean exploration a nightmare for me. With that said, I wish other people would be exploring the ocean more, because this stuff is so damn interesting.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#44  Edited By Claude
crazyleaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By crazyleaves
@Claude mind-meld.

One of the "burp" theories is gas escaping from the ocean floor. But that could still kill us all so let's just call it aliens or Old Ones, it's a better way to go out.