Does Giant Bomb Make You Want To Play/Buy Crappy Games?

• 67 results
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

I know this is a weird question, but let me explain: 

A while back, the guys did a Quick Look for Darkest of Days.  The game looks absolutely horrific, but during the whole thing, I kept saying "I've gotta play this and see just how bad it is".  I finally found the game for $20 (as none of the rental places carry it).  Needless to say...yeah...that game is pretty horrible (and there might be a portion of me that wanted the Horse Puncher achievement as well, sure).  Nonetheless, I wouldn't have DARED to play the game if it weren't for the Giant Bomb Quick Look. 

Then they did a Quick Look for Jurassic: The Hunted...and I've gotta say...I need to play that game as well.  Maybe there's a bit of Seanbaby in me where I feel the need to torture myself with bad games...but seriously, I want to play that. 

It's like a Roland Emmerich movie...or an Uwe Boll movie.  You KNOW it's going to be terrible...but you just have to play it.  Could it be that there's just an MST3K Syndrome to it all, where you feel the need to play the game with a friend around so you can both make mad amounts of jokes about it being so terrible? 

So I ask you, Giant Bomb...does Giant Bomb make you want to play/buy crappy games?  They've made me spend a few bucks on absolute shit.  What abou you?

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

I would never have played The Maw if it wasn't for Giantbomb. I've also got copies of Amped 3 and Too Human on my shelf that I haven't played yet. I'll get to it.

EDIT: Oh, and they inspired me to go and defeat Razor Callahan, but that was amazing.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By dbz1995

Yes

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Rhaknar

people make fun of those games in the quicklook comments... hell, the guys make fun of the games usually, but the darkest of days devs actually thanked them for the video, and I would assume others would too. even bad press IS press afterall. Tony Hawk Ride for example, they have given it more exposure than Activision for christs sake!

But no, it doesnt make me want to play those games. I play bad games regardless... :P

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jakob187
@TooWalrus said:
" I would never have played The Maw if it wasn't for Giantbomb. I've also got copies of Amped 3 and Too Human on my shelf that I haven't played yet. I'll get to it. "
The Maw wasn't crappy...well, not to me at least.  lol
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By toowalrus
@jakob187: It was actually pretty fun, but I thought it looked crappy when I bought it. My view changed after finishing it.
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Illmatic

I wouldn't call it crappy but a game that I liked alot less than I had expected from Giant Bomb's glowing recommendations is Burnout Paradise. I loved Takedown and I don't know whether its just the fact that I'm burnt out on the series or just my general dislike of racing games but this game didn't click with me. Maybe with more free time this coming holiday season I'll be able to get into it.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Origina1Penguin

No. There was a time when I would play games regardless of quality. It is not something I want to do again. Now I only play games that I genuinely believe I will enjoy.

monkeyman864

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By monkeyman864

yes

_Phara0h_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By _Phara0h_

I actually wanted to play CSI after the quicklook but I have 2 many good games that need playing even e few mediocre ones before I go achievement hunting  in CSI. But hay I'm not promising anything I am a whore for achievements ....

GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By GoodKn1ght
@Rhaknar: they thanked them? where was that?

@Illmatic: if you have a general dislike of racing games why would you buy a racing game.....
StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By StaticFalconar

Um, no those quicklooks are good enough to satisfy my "how bad is this" itch.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jakob187
@THAfara0: I'm gonna rent it just for the gamer pic and the achievements.  I won't lie.  Also, I'm a CSI freak, so they sold me just with the name of the game.  lol 

@Illmatic: I couldn't get into that game very much either.  The open world thing just didn't do it for me.  Plus...the lack of a proper Crash mode like they had in Takedown or Revenge just killed it for me.  I loved how much of a puzzle game that felt like.
Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Illmatic
@GoodKn1ght: The "general" coming from the fact that the Burnout series is one I have mysteriously always been entertained by. I thought Paradise would be the same but I guess the whole open world aspect of it turned me off.
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By breadfan

Watching them p[lay terrible games is pretty funny, but actually playing the game on my own would be pretty terrible.   

However I have played terrible games for fun with my friends just for kicks, I guess it's more fun to enjoy crappy games with others.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By sjschmidt93

Nope, just watch people play them, with hilarious commentary.

GoodKn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GoodKn1ght
@Illmatic: oh gotcha dawg
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By trophyhunter

well some quicklooks of bad games me think there is some fun to be had here

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
@jakob187: The sick thing is, I enjoy bad games more than the good.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jakob187
@W0lfbl1tzers said:
" @jakob187: The sick thing is, I enjoy bad games more than the good. "
I have a long standing obsession with Destruction Derby Arenas for PS2.  Terrible game, but I enjoyed the shit out of it.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Linkyshinks

It doesn't take Giant Bomb, it just takes games like this;  

lynchtheram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By lynchtheram

I bought Crash Time for the PC after seeing the quick look on the site. I played it like 3-4 times to just confirm it was terrible, and also, listen to the amazing voice acting.
Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23  Edited By Crono

No, not really.  That Jurassic game looks terrible and I had no interest in it because of the QL.  Perhaps every QL of a shitty game should be prefaced with: "Don't try this at home."

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By Hamst3r

I buy and often enjoy bad games all on my own. I don't need the help of Giant Bomb for that. :P

I want Jurassic The Hunted but it's not on PC. :(
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Bigandtasty

I want to play them but not enough to buy them. I feel like a lot of the Quick Looks show you the majority of the hilarity without the hassle.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AgentofChaos

There is def a lil seanbaby in me I love playing and be pissed at bad games.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By AndrewB

No, not at all. Games are seriously expensive enough, as it is.If you can afford to buy games you, yourself, believe to be crappy, you have too much money, or you should at least be devoting it more important matters.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
@jakob187 said:
" @W0lfbl1tzers said:
I have a long standing obsession with Destruction Derby Arenas for PS2.  Terrible game, but I enjoyed the shit out of it. "
I'll look for it the next time I go to Play N Trade. Their PS2 bin is a ocean of bad games
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Video_Game_King

A little bit of Seanbaby in you? I don't think bad games can coax that out. It doesn't for me. On topic, no, I'm just not the type of person who wants to play bad games. Ever.

Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ramyun
@AndrewB: That makes we wonder if piracy for bad games would be justified??
zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By zyn

Nope.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jakob187
@W0lfbl1tzers said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @W0lfbl1tzers said:
I have a long standing obsession with Destruction Derby Arenas for PS2.  Terrible game, but I enjoyed the shit out of it. "
I'll look for it the next time I go to Play N Trade. Their PS2 bin is a ocean of bad games "
My commentary in my review back on BonusStage was "this game is the blueprint to the perfect high-octane racing game, but unfortunately, it's as rickety as throwing a boulder at a house made of toothpicks".
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Godwind

I wouldn't.  I realized I hate it when game is frustrating and plays like shit.  I don't hate difficult games, I hate poorly designed games.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Meltac
@PeasForFees: I don't play bad games for achievements. I do try to get achievements in the games i enjoy though, but I wouldn't buy or play a game just for easy achievements
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jakob187

See, that's the thing, though.  There are games that are bad that don't control for shit or even have bad gameplay.  That was my thing with Destruction Derby Arenas - it had good gameplay and good controls.  The problem was that it was just underdeveloped and plagued with a myriad of problems.  That can be said for a lot of different games. 

Now, in the case of Darkest of Days...yeah, bad gameplay idea.  I mean, why would I wanna play a shooting game where I have to reload my gun after one shot EVERY FUCKING TIME?  I'm sure the WW1 stuff might be a bit different...but still...

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#37  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Giant Bomb's looks at terrible video games and video game movies have been very entertaining but I've never actually wanted to purchase any of the more horrific games and movies they've looked at.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jakob187
@Gamer_152 said:
" Giant Bomb's looks at terrible video games and video game movies have been very entertaining but I've never actually wanted to purchase any of the more horrific games and movies they've looked at."
And see, my biggest dilemma is that buying the once-in-a-while crap game or renting it means that I'm voting "yes, I want more of this" with my money!  I feel like a traitor to good video games, but at the same time...man, I've gotta see just how bad it really is! 

Mind you, I don't pay more than $20 for a bad game...and even then, I know it's $20 too much in many cases.
teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
@jakob187: 

There is one quick look that's conspicuously missing:

Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#40  Edited By Willy105

I think the idea of good/bad games is getting really dated. It's all about fun, and Giantbomb shows that. So what if Giantbomb made you want to get a game that underscored in reviews. Now you don't have bad reviews to keep you from buying a game you want.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Kohe321

Yeah sometimes after seing a fun quick look of a game that is below average, I feel tempted to buy it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jakob187
@TooWalrus said:
" I would never have played The Maw if it wasn't for Giantbomb. I've also got copies of Amped 3 and Too Human on my shelf that I haven't played yet. I'll get to it.  EDIT: Oh, and they inspired me to go and defeat Razor Callahan, but that was amazing. "
Man, I still haven't beaten Razor Callahan!  Thanks for reminding me about that.  That'll be some more quick achievement points for this next 10K that I'm pulling...which I'm almost 1K deep into already!
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#43  Edited By AndrewB
@Ramyun said:

" @AndrewB: That makes we wonder if piracy for bad games would be justified?? "

Not at all. There are very few circumstances where I'd feel piracy is the right thing to do. On top of that, playing crummy games is a waste of my time, which is much more precious than money.

If anything, they should learn to price-point their crappy games. Knocking $10 or $20 off of the already too high $60 (or $50) standard would go a long way towards making them seem more reasonable.
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't know, but I for one want to see a quick look of this.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45  Edited By VisariLoyalist

yes, because having a common experience with the bomb crew makes me feel special ^_^

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jakob187
@VisariLoyalist said:
" yes, because having a common experience with the bomb crew makes me feel special ^_^ "
I haven't thought of it that way.  Then again, I used to review games...so I already know the pain that they go through on those nights when they have put off playing a game for as long as possible before finally breaking it open and wondering why they are wasting their sleepy time at 3am playing a shitty game just to tell everyone that it's shitty.
EndlessMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EndlessMike

I would if I still had money to throw around like that. Got to save up for only the best.

kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48  Edited By kraznor

Yeah, their enthusiasm for achievements and terrible games has certainly rubbed off on me. For example, I am definitely going to play CSI: Deadly Intent now that I've seen the Quicklook.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SonicFire

Well...the QL of Magna Carta 2 confirmed it as a generic-ass JRPG... and I love me some generic-ass JRPG. So I bought it..and will probably start it tomorrow.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jakob187
@SonicFire said:
" Well...the QL of Magna Carta 2 confirmed it as a generic-ass JRPG... and I love me some generic-ass JRPG. So I bought it..and will probably start it tomorrow. "
I really enjoyed the original.  Then again, I got it for free from Atlus (when I reviewed), so that helped.  Nonetheless, Magna Carta was generic until the back half of the game, and then it was pure excellence.  I expect the same from Magna Carta 2...but I just don't have the time to put into it.