Does it bug you that people state their own opinion as fact on the internet?

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tyxja
Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

If it does you shouldn't be here.

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tyxja

Now I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but all I ever see on the internet is "it sucks" or "it fucking blows".  When really It should be "I think it sucks." or "I think it fucking blows, duder."

I personally find it smug. It's probably smug that I would create a poll about it, but hey whatever.

How do you guys feel about this?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Vinchenzo

Psi-ops is an awesome game. Fact. 
Half-Life is the best franchise. Fact.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Not as much as it annoys me when I say something that's obviously my opinion, and people accuse me of stating my opinion as fact. You shouldn't have to say "in my opinion" or "I think" at the start of every sentence that's an opinion, it's usually obvious when something is opinion or not.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CptBedlam

Only when it's not the same as my opinion.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Crono11

When you talk to someone in person do you think they need to say "in my opinion" after they say something?

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By tyxja
@MattyFTM: I agree with you, but also I can tell you aren't an idiot. Most people who say something sucks without giving a reason come off as being unintelligent. lol
Avatar image for mercurycrusader
MercuryCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MercuryCrusader

In my opinion, it is a fact that my opinions are facts. That is a fact, in my opinion.
tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By tyxja

Well with the way the poll is going I'd say the giantbomb forums are pretty laid back and not uptight and anxious like myself :D

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Brians
@tylerjacob: not really I, for my corner of the internet always try to preface my opinions by confirming they're opinions but that's just me.
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cspiffo

@MattyFTM said:

"Not as much as it annoys me when I say something that's obviously my opinion, and people accuse me of stating my opinion as fact. You shouldn't have to say "in my opinion" or "I think" at the start of every sentence that's an opinion, it's usually obvious when something is opinion or not. "

This.  

Whether you take the opinion as fact or you research the opinion is up to you. 

Fact:  99% of facts are opinions with research to back them up.
papuccino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By papuccino1
@Vinchenzo said:
" Psi-ops is an awesome game. Fact. Half-Life is the best franchise. Fact. "
Have to completely agree with you there. Now that's a fact. :D
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MikkaQ
@MercuryCrusader said:
" In my opinion, it is a fact that my opinions are facts. That is a fact, in my opinion. "
AAAAAAAAHHHH. 

Anyway, I suppose it's annoying, but it's also the internet, and I'm not surprised, and quite frankly 10-13 years of internet surfing has kinda just led me to ignore that stuff. I just take it all as an opinion. 
tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tyxja

Also a strange trend I'm noticing here is the people who are cool with it are stating their opinion, and the people who answered yes are staying quiet. Psychology?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NTM
@tylerjacob said:

"Now I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but all I ever see on the internet is "it sucks" or "it fucking blows".  When really It should be "I think it sucks." or "I think it fucking blows, duder."  I personally find it smug. It's probably smug that I would create a poll about it, but hey whatever.  How do you guys feel about this? "

No, because in fact, they're really just stating their opinion. Saying "I" doesn't change anything. It's the same thing. There isn't any problem. I don't see how it can be bothersome at all, unless someone were to get into an arguement about something when there shouldn't be one since it's not always likely you'll changes someones opinion for them.
tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tyxja

In retrospect I now wish I made a thread about people saying things suck without actually understanding what they say sucks or if they're just going with popular opinion. Probably would've made for a more lively discussion.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cspiffo
@tylerjacob said:
"In retrospect I now wish I made a thread about people saying things suck without actually understanding what they say sucks or if they're just going with popular opinion. Probably would've made for a more lively discussion. "

Is that a fact or an opinion? :P
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ryax

i think this thread is dumb. opinion 
this thread is dumb. fact

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By tyxja

Hey the poll is actually pretty close now, interesting if I do say so myself.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cspiffo
@tylerjacob said:

"Hey the poll is actually pretty close now, interesting if I do say so myself. "

Now your stating a fact as an opinion!  Geez make up your mind! 

edit:  doh!  I meant to say, now your stating your opinion as fact.  What does close mean to you exactly?
tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tyxja

I would like to hear from someone who isn't voting no, but you choose to stay quiet for some reason. I guess getting flamed is a problem here.

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tyxja
@cspiffo: hahaha
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cspiffo
@tylerjacob said:
" @cspiffo: hahaha "

:P
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Linkyshinks

It's straight to the point as they see it, it's not being smug.  

Only if they do nothing to back up their views. The opinions they have may well be based in fact. but it ultimately means nothing to the reader unless some evidence is provided.

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tyxja
@cspiffo: I would say close means the results are within 15% of each other.
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cspiffo
@tylerjacob said:
" @cspiffo: I would say close means the results are within 15% of each other. "

Now you have a factual basis for your opinion,  But I will say I disagree.  I would say within .5% is considered close :)
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ryax

caring about what people say on the internet leads to bad things

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tyxja

Hey man I think the internet helps show peoples true agendas. People say how they actually feel thanks to the power of anonymity. Through that we can analyze where we're going as a race. 

I think we're fucked as a race haha.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By luce

It bothers me more when someone apologizes for not liking a game (especially videogame journalists)

"Sorry but I don't want to play monster hunter 3. Better luck next time". I really doubt Capcom gives a shit

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tyxja
@luce:  Oh dude that drives me nuts, people apologize constantly because they're afraid of redicule. I love halo 3 and I think its great, but I always feel this little nagging of "dude add in the part about how you know it has flaws, or people will flame you"
SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SoylentGreen

Fact: any non-sourced content (and even some of that) on the internet is opinion. Most content on, say, BBC or Reuters is well-researched fact, backed up by sources such a reputable expert or official, or the AP. Most user-created content is opinion, and does not need to be expressed as such, with a few exceptions such as Wikipedia, who have stringent sourcing and citation guidelines.

Ironically, this post is also opinion.

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By tyxja
@SoylentGreen:   Well soylentgreen it is fact that you are people.
Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Tiwi

i like how it has a 50/50 split. DOPE!

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By tyxja

Yeah I didn't think it would split down the middle like this. Pretty sweet!(opinion)

SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SoylentGreen
@tylerjacob: No, it's my opinion that that's just Charlton Heston's opinion.
raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By raviolisumo
@tylerjacob said:
" Now I know I shouldn't let it get to me, but all I ever see on the internet is "it sucks" or "it fucking blows".  When really It should be "I think it sucks." or "I think it fucking blows, duder."  I personally find it smug. It's probably smug that I would create a poll about it, but hey whatever.  How do you guys feel about this? "
But a person is saying it, therefore it is their opinion. They don't need to qualify it with "I think".  People don't need to say "It is my opinion that...", them saying what they think makes it theirs.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#38  Edited By Brendan
@tylerjacob said:
" @MattyFTM: I agree with you, but also I can tell you aren't an idiot. Most people who say something sucks without giving a reason come off as being unintelligent. lol "

I don't understand how that sentence would make you laugh out loud.
tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tyxja

Well the reason this would bug me at all isn't because they state their opinion as fact, but because it appears they think their opinion is actually a fact.

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tyxja
@Brendan: saying lol after stuff is this weird click I developed because If I don't say it I feel like what I said came off as cold.
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By cspiffo
@tylerjacob said:
"Well the reason this would bug me at all isn't because they state their opinion as fact, but because it appears they think their opinion is actually a fact. "

Well, to them it is.   

What is your opinion on the whole Pluto as a planet thing?  The researchers say it is not, but that's only because they changed what they justify a planet to be.  I personally will go with the researchers.  You have to admit though.  The human Idea on what things are is really just based on perspective.  ie religion, science, a measuring tape (what is an inch anyway?) 

This is getting way too existential.  sorry.
Egge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By Egge

Although I agree that stupid "dis game sucks" comments which don't really include any real arguments are annoying, I'm actually more worried about the general idea (which is often associated with the question posed in this thread) that everything is a matter of opinion; and that there can be no facts about, for instance, the inherent suckiness of a certain game. After all, there's something really strange going on if we can't say with any degree of certainty that Onechanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad not only is a bad game according to the tastes of specific individuals but also a bad game, period. Objective values in art and entertainment is a notoriously difficult concept, but I believe such values exist and can be found through serious discussion.

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By tyxja
@zudthespud:  lol well apparently a good few members of the forum don't belong here if you the poll results are to be believed.
tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By tyxja
@cspiffo: Haha you're totally right(opinion?), this is going to fall into philosopher territory soon.(opinion?!) I...I don't even know anymore. I guess I should just ignore douchers on the internet and take someone with a credible explanation for their opinion into account. 

This forum is filled with way smarter dudes than myself.
SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45  Edited By SBYM

You shouldn't need people to go out of their way to explain that they're stating an opinion.

tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By tyxja
@SBYM:  You kind of have to when people DO go out of their way to say "Uhh no, I am right, you are wrong, green day sucks and we all know this for a fact"
superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By superfriend

Most people I know will state their opinion as fact in real life. In certain parts of society, not being 100% sure about everything you say is seen as a sign of weakness. And you don´t want to look weak in school, university or your job. I don´t really like it, but my experiences in school and job have shown me that you got to act this way- not in front of people you know well, but in public it definitely helps.

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48  Edited By SBYM
@tylerjacob: But, you still know that what they're saying is an opinion, whether or not they think it is. Those people are just fucking idiots.
tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By tyxja
@Superfriend:  Yeah well in real life its really a totally different kind of thing. On the internet where nobodys opinion really holds sway at all it just comes off as irritating to me.
tyxja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By tyxja
@SBYM:   Yes, you're right haha. I should've asked "Do people acting like fucking idiots on the internet annoy you?"