• 76 results
Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Jost1

How can people enjoy reading that website? Every post is dripping with so much irony and sarcasm that it's pretty much soaking wet. And sticky. 

Their whole vibe seems to be the antithesis to Giant Bomb's laid back-ness. It's just the fact that everything they write is so forced and ugh.  Well, good for you if you enjoy it but it's part of the reason why "gaming media" people are still asking "why doesn't anyone take us seriously?" 

Is it part of their company policy that they have to be so effin' sarcastic ALL THE TIME? You'd think so!

Hey but what do I know, I'm just a reader.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By EpicSteve

Can you post some examples? I'm assuming you're talking about the actual articles.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Binman88

Hadn't noticed that myself, though I don't really read much of their stuff - mostly because I hate the layout of their website.

allprox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By allprox

I actually hate the way it's laid out. Headings underneath the gigantic picture, no thanks.

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Megalon

Yeah, because the dudes at Giant Bomb never use sarcasm.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jost1

One example is they have this tag they put on all the posts whenever a company doesn't comment on rumours, called "no plans watch", where it's like they always have to comment on the fact that no, companies don't tend to comment on dumb rumours!

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jost1
@Megalon: There's a sense of some ironic detachment here at Giant Bomb, and it's done in a way that doesn't rub me the wrong way, personally. It's hard to point to specifics, but something about kotaku's general writing just irks me
GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By GeekDown

I visit Kotaku quite a lot and I've never really thought about it.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jost1

It's a personal thing. If you enjoy it that's good but there's something that doesn't feel genuine about that site to me.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Fallen189

Don't read them then.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Daryl

I hate threads with Duder in the title. 

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FCKSNAP

This is an issue that most games press and Publishers bring up all the time. Blog sites like Kotaku forgo quality with timeliness. Compare Joystiq and Kotaku to sites like Gamespot, 1up, IGN and G4, they'd rather have 20 posts a day that only 1/4th of them contain more than two paragraphs of original content instead of only 8 that have more thought put into them (though these days not much original content is actually being produced on most those sites, right GB Crew?). 

Also, not saying I hate any one of them, I just notice these things since I pretty much have them all opened in different tabs when I open my browser.

Magresda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Magresda

To me, Kotaku and Joystiq are news blogs. I don't go there for editorial reviews or opinions, I go there for news. For that, they've great - light-hearted and plenty of humor that keeps me entertained while catching up. 

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By spacetrucking
@josty81: I think Kotaku has a decent sense of humor but their writers just aren't as witty as the GB staff. Infact, I don't think there is anyone in game journalism that can match Jeff and Co's constantly funny take on the most mundane news items, while giving you the relevant information at the same time. I still subscribe to Kotaku's RSS feed for headlines but I don't read much from the actual article - I go to The Escapist or Giantbomb for the full take on it.

I do think Kotaku can use a better editing department. Take Tim Rogers' blog entries for example - the man writes 10,000 word novela that have some really good points but no one on the Kotaku staff bothers to edit the fluff out of it. Creative freedom is one thing but posting such a huge wall of text creates an unnecessary barrier to entry.
Deathawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By Deathawk

I fail to see what you're talking about. They have running gags just like Giant Bomb has running gags.
Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Kiemoe

I agree with people who hate the layout. Other than that, I'm cool with it.

walreese55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By walreese55

give examples

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hamz

Kotaku is a necessary evil. I don't like the site or the quality of it's content but I respect the fact there has to be some sort of site out there that loves to speculate over every minor internet rumour and blow it up into a four paragraph story in order to get traffic. 

There really isn't any excuse for allowing content on your homepage that has spelling and grammar mistakes in not only the title of the article but the body of it as well to be left there for hours and in some cases days without being corrected. At that point any professional integrity you expect people to respect you for is blown completely out of the window.

And worse is to begin the practice of deleting the posts of and banning those who comment and point out the mistakes.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By TheHBK

Kotaku sucks as a site, but they usually have lots of stories and stuff to read.  Though their editors can be a little sensitive in the comments section.  Especially Mr Owen Good, he just rips down people's comments that criticize his writing or what he wrote about.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GreggD
@Magresda said:
" To me, Kotaku and Joystiq are news blogs. I don't go there for editorial reviews or opinions, I go there for news. For that, they've great - light-hearted and plenty of humor that keeps me entertained while catching up.  "
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MrKlorox

Stephen Totilo is the one true journalist there. I hate Bitchcraft and Good with a passion. And McWhertor isn't much better.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By JJOR64
@Fallen189 said:
" Don't read them then. "
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By buzz_killington

Excluding Stephen Totilo, they're all pretentious ass-holes. For all of my latest vide-game related news needs, I use Joystiq.
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#25  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Well Kotaku seem to break most news stories first, so I just subscribe to their RSS feed. That way, I don't have to go on the site unless the story deems it necessary.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By spacetrucking
@gakon5 said:
" @Killjoi said:
" @josty81: I think Kotaku has a decent sense of humor but their writers just aren't as witty as the GB staff. Infact, I don't think there is anyone in game journalism that can match Jeff and Co's constantly funny take on the most mundane news items, while giving you the relevant information at the same time. "
Are you comparing the writing of Kotaku to the podcasting of Giant Bomb?  That might be a false assumption, but the two mediums are fundamentally different in a few ways.  It's easier to yell into a microphone and be funny than it is to write something that's just as funny read. "
No, I was comparing GB's news articles and reviews to Kotaku's. I find GB much funnier, whether it is written text or the bombcast.
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By AndrewB

I don't think any of the 3 main game blogs hit it quite right, which is why I subscribe to all 3 of them. Lots of repeat news, but it's easy enough just skimming through it.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrKlorox

The most recent episode of Bonus Round has McWhertor and Garnett Lee on the panel. And judging by the way they interact with eachother, they aren't the best of friends. It's pretty funny if you're into watching people you don't like hold contempt for eachother.

Now I'm no fan of Lee either, but I have more respect for him than McWhertor.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bruce

I can raise the same argument against Pitchfork. WAY too fucking cynical.

Demonstride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Demonstride

I don't read Kotaku and, I have never visited the site. I prefer Giantbomb and Joystiq for my game news.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

That chick from All That's post on Bayonetta just killed it for me.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Well, Kotaku really is the only gaming news blog out there. I'm sorry, I would read Joystiq if they weren't constantly a day or two late on posting news. By that point, it's not even news. I subscribe to both blogs, but I use Kotaku overwhelmingly. Joystiq tends to post small stories once in a while that don't get picked up everywhere else. But you read Kotaku for the news and the detail; no point worrying about anything else, in my opinion.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShaunassNZ

Every hour or so I'll check Destructoid, Kotaku and Giant Bomb for my news. Dtoid and Kotaku for up to date news, and Giant Bomb for my Reviews and the Bombcast and other such things, I never look at anything the other two sites talk about with reviews and such. I trust Jeff and co for their opinions.

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By evanbrau

I don't really use Kotaku at all, the second they report it its up on all the other sites and is generally going to be written to a higher standard. I've noticed lots of typos and stuff in Kotakus reports. Also the site is a fucking mess in terms of design.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By defaulttag
@josty81: I agree. Kotaku is annoyingly sarcastic and not at all witty. Have you seen the latest Bonus Round on gametrailers? Mike McWherter (Kotaku editor) was being a total jerk. Funny how Geoff Keighly called him out though. Giantbomb ftw.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RetroIce4

but... I like Kotaku.

ryuken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryuken

I pretty much go everywhere and I find kotakus colors a little too 360, like their saying it without saying. also a picture with one sentence under it,  come on!    I do like the fact that I can go there multiple times a day and there are always new things to read. I'm enjoying Giantbomb the most though, Go GiantBomb!    I used to love 1up but then my company blocked the site, also that was before I spent hours each day reading gaming news.
aerious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By aerious

I use rss feeds of all the news blogs makes it much easier to read mainly headlines and get through them quickly, but really kotaku is a Gawker site and the prickish attitude is part of being associated with gawker.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ryanwho

Killer Instinct 3 confirmed here first

Hats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hats

Ive seen some Kotaku storys that have been ripped from other site with just one or two words changed and people banned post deleted for commenting on that fact plus yes the sites layout is shit

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Turambar
@josty81 said:
" How can people enjoy reading that website? Every post is dripping with so much irony and sarcasm that it's pretty much soaking wet. And sticky.   Their whole vibe seems to be the antithesis to Giant Bomb's laid back-ness. It's just the fact that everything they write is so forced and ugh.  Well, good for you if you enjoy it but it's part of the reason why "gaming media" people are still asking "why doesn't anyone take us seriously?"   Is it part of their company policy that they have to be so effin' sarcastic ALL THE TIME? You'd think so! Hey but what do I know, I'm just a reader. "
They tend to end most posts with a joke of some kind, some corny, others not so much.  But aside from that, I have trouble picking out exactly what you're talking about.  I get the feeling people are excusing Giantbomb's form of sarcasm as being more genuine because you know the four editors here a lot better.  But the writing on both sites "work" more or less the same for me.
angelfan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By angelfan91

I go to the site everyday.  It's very ugly but it's the easiest way to find news without having to sift through a lot of garbage.
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By maxszy

Never been a fan of Kotaku but not the reasons your listing. I think sarcasm goes along with this industry. Just the way it is in many ways.

As another has said, I also read Gianbomb and then Joystiq for my "up to the minute" type of news.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#44  Edited By Hailinel
@EpicSteve said:
" Can you post some examples? I'm assuming you're talking about the actual articles. "
Read roughly 99% of the articles posted by Luke Plunkett, for starters.  The man is an asinine excuse of a journalist (I'm sorry, "blogger") because he frequently laces his text with sarcasm and snide subjectivity, and frequently words his posts in ways that can only be described as flame-baiting so he can get those ever-so-precious clicks.
Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Mourne

Only thing I don't like about Kotaku is the blatant PS3-angled stories that come out of Ashcraft. Some recent examples:

Bayonetta Getting Update to Reduce Load Times

The update will be available starting January 28. 

While the Xbox 360 version of Bayonetta received better reviews, the PS3 version outsold the Xbox 360 version in Japan.

Capcom & Microsoft's Impending Announcement

This could be an entirely new title ("premiere" carries that connotation, or it could be Capcom announcing that Dark Void is coming to the Xbox 360 in Japan. There isn't much to go on with this images, but it does not mention the word "exclusive". Even if it did state "exclusive", these days third party exclusives go multi-platform eventually and usually with more content. 

This sort of veiled reporting of the facts that's saturated in biased commentary just diminishes my (and others', as I've learned) respect for the site. I'm all for hearing the facts on these stories, but after a while, you just can't help but notice the slanting of stories like this. Without fail, he reserves those little one-liners just to remind everyone of spurious ideas that simply are of no concern to anyone. If he were doing an objective report, why didn't he (in the case of Bayonetta) report on the sales of Bayonetta outside of Japan? You may think these are just selected bits; go read all of his posts that are even remotely related to an Xbox 360 game. I have several others in mind that I can cite if anyone's curious or remains unconvinced.

Stephen Totilo, Brian Crecente, Owen Good, and Mike Fahey are all enjoyable enough to follow, though. Totilo is honestly one of the better game journalists out there--he's insightful, fair, and just avoids that sort of judgmentalism that's present on any number of other sites (and even their own; see above).
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#46  Edited By EpicSteve
@Hailinel said:
" @EpicSteve said:
" Can you post some examples? I'm assuming you're talking about the actual articles. "
Read roughly 99% of the articles posted by Luke Plunkett, for starters.  The man is an asinine excuse of a journalist (I'm sorry, "blogger") because he frequently laces his text with sarcasm and snide subjectivity, and frequently words his posts in ways that can only be described as flame-baiting so he can get those ever-so-precious clicks. "

I've seen some of this. I guess there's a fine line between writing fun articles and writing satire. I don't think they're purposly baiting, but having good fun. But unlike a lot of people, I don't get offended easily by this behavior.
Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Matfei90

The only decent posts are by Totilo, he writes well.

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jinxman

I like Kotaku.  Giant Bomb and Kotaku are the only game sites i go to much anymore.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By c1337us

I have never visted the site so I couldn't comment on it specifically. The only info I get from there is when someone posts a thread about something they read there on another sites forums.

crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By crystalskull2

I just read the headlines in kotaku so i don't know what you're complaining about.