Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By bassman2112

I wish I was making this up.

Here is a story containing the cover.

Here is a second story.

As someone who was present at the bombings, and saw some extremely grisly things... The idea of a seemingly sympathetic story to Tsarnev on the cover of a popular magazine is really, really insulting.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By gaminghooligan

Wow that's gross... I think we should give the people that commit these crimes as little attention as possible. It's what he wanted when he did the deed, and they're just inviting more people to follow in his footsteps. I'm disappointed in Rolling Stone for doing this honestly.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

fuck that shit

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sympathetic? So that rolling stone story wanted the boston bombers to escape and or succeed?

From what I know it is sort of a bummer how it happened. this one was the one who wanted to be a doctor, right? There's a difference between it's a pity (that they didn't escape) and it's a pity (this seemingly nice, successful young man decided to do this horrible act).

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Did I miss a big development in the investigation? Why are they spotlighting him now and not months ago when he first showed up?

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

That's disgusting,,,

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By DeeGee

This is the same kind of thing news places do when they cover any sort of rape story. They focus on how it's such a shame that a friendly, popular rapist who had such a good future ahead of them lost it all, instead of focusing on the victims and how it's effected their lives.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 21

Wow that's gross... I think we should give the people that commit these crimes as little attention as possible. It's what he wanted when he did the deed, and they're just inviting more people to follow in his footsteps. I'm disappointed in Rolling Stone for doing this honestly.

Agreed. In America, blowing other people up or committing mass shootings will land you on the news for a week and your face on the cover of every publication out there. Calling him a "monster" is still glorifying the crimes.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

If it was any other magazine it would be fine, not much different than having Bin Laden or Saddam on the cover. But my perspective of Rolling Stones is their cover is typically reserved for Hollywood types. Rolling Stones has a reputation for being the kinda hippy unrealistic approach to situations. Not sure if this story carries that reputation.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By oraknabo

Looks like trolling for attention and it seems to have worked.

Rolling stone still hasn't been relevant for more than 2(3?) decades.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@epicsteve: oh was that the issue? many people have expressed sentiments that the story was fine but the cover was objectionable.

still seems silly though. I wonder if there'd be this fervor if they photoshopped prison bars in front of the picture

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

@oraknabo said:

To be fair, they did have an article about the early days of the Iraq War that turned into an HBO mini series.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

Pretty shitty in my opinion.

Just appears that Rolling Stone is trying to do the "edgy, whoa look at that!" type of thing which just feels insulting to those who had to deal with the bombing and aftermath first hand.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By JoeyRavn

That is really, really weak. It only encourages other to do pretty bad things for their few minutes of vapid fame.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Why give him 5 more minutes of fame? Disgusting..................

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joeyravn said:

That is really, really weak. It only encourages other to do pretty bad things for their few minutes of vapid fame.

Rolling Stone is not going to encourage people to do that anymore than national news networks do already.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sensationalizing tragedy for the sake of profit is par for the course in the media now a days.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#18  Edited By ManMadeGod

@animasta said:

@joeyravn said:

Rolling Stone is not going to encourage people to do that anymore than national news networks do already.

Two wrongs make a right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Dzokar has fangirls that call him Jahar because it's hotter. There's an Amazing Atheist video about it. These fangirls aren't Muslims either, they're fame obsessed spoiled white kids who don't have enough life experience to understand why murder and maiming is a negative thing.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No-one is more influential than whomever is on the cover of Rolling Stone.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, all of this. It's not like it's been slow with music lately either, give the cover to Jay-Z or something. If they did that and still ran the story there wouldn't be any backlash. Well, maybe there would given the stance the article takes, but it'd be much less severe. CVS has announced they're not gonna be carrying the issue. It's gonna be interesting to see how Rolling Stone reacts to that. They've always been a very liberal magazine so it's not surprising that they have that opinion on Dzokhar, but I wonder if they'll cave to the pressure or let the issue go unaltered.

Nicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gross.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Animasta

@animasta said:

@joeyravn said:

Two wrongs make a right?

no, but the assertion that more people are going to be influenced because of Rolling Stone is, well, very silly.

I mean who cares about getting on a magazine when you can be on the nightly news?

(also we went through this same shit with Columbine, there were news stories about that shit for YEARS)

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Was it the tweens whom petitioned for his release on count of him being too cute?

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CVS, Stop & Shop, Roche Brothers, Walgreens and Tedeschis have already stated they won't sell it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I dunno is it shitty to try to actually humanize the guy? They aren't trying to absolve him of anything he he did but yo were all still human beings and we sometimes often make really really bad decisions with our lives. Sometimes those decisions lead to a cascade of events that mean we can't ever turn back.

There was a Hitler movie in the late 90's which I think aired on TV that people were all up in arms about because it chose to portray him not in a starkly evil light but rather just tell his story. I'm not saying we forgive them for what they did but possibly just maybe if we can humanize them and analyze their lives we could figure out what lead them to making the choices they did.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Hey how do we remind people we still exist"

No Caption Provided

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Timothy Mcveigh's Maxim cover was much hotter.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read a mainstream blog a few weeks ago that was very sympathetic toward the killer. Disbelief in evil is pretty common, and if one can't attribute evil actions to evil people, one has to resort to, "Oh, they're just misunderstood."

I've seen an evil streak in the best of people. I think there's a fine line between analyzing a monster and validating them, and a lot of people give them more dignity than they deserve by examining them with compassion untempered by justice.

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I just can't believe they'd do this.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

People outraged by this have no grasp on the magazine's history. They always skirted on the edge like this, especially at times like this, or when they had Manson on the cover.

It isn't celebrating the murderer, it is bringing the real problem to the forefront, which is how a normal boy became a suicidal monster.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Its a beg for attention and sales. Just like all magazines try and do now

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@oraknabo said:

To be fair, they did have an article about the early days of the Iraq War that turned into an HBO mini series.

Don't forget the Stanley McChrystal article that, you know, toppled a General in the United States Army.

Or the Matt Taibbi article that further shed light on the shady dealings of Goldman Sachs and birthed the infamous description of "A great Vampire Squid wrapped around the face of humanity."

They still make waves every so often, and they tend to be sizeable waves. They're just not very frequent.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oraknabo said:

And a big interview with General McChrystal that lead to his early retirement for saying dumb things on record, I guess that counts?

Avatar image for deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec
deactivated-63bbfc9f777ec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People still read magazines?

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deegee said:

This is the same kind of thing news places do when they cover any sort of rape story. They focus on how it's such a shame that a friendly, popular rapist who had such a good future ahead of them lost it all, instead of focusing on the victims and how it's effected their lives.

Yep. I mean, in my opinion this man deserves to be on the cover of that magazine (one of many who should be):

No Caption Provided

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@bestusernameever: @mariachimacabre: @epicsteve: I'll give them credit for a couple of decent articles over the last 25 years (I think Taibbi is pretty good when I read his stuff printed elsewhere) but I think the writers who broke these stories could have done just as well with these stories in a different kind of magazine.

I know it's part of their tradition to have some amount of the Hunter Thompson kind of content, but today it makes as much sense for a music magazine to run these kinds of articles as it does for Cat Fancy to.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the problem?

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@animasta said:

@joeyravn said:

Given the weird following of adorers he has developed online, the picture they chose seems very much an attempt at baiting controversy and attention. I get that the story is an examination of how his life took the turns it did, but that picture seems to be the sticking point here.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lanechanger

@oraknabo said:

It's working, I haven't cared about Rolling Stone in... I can't remember how long

Avatar image for ghost_of_perdition
Ghost_of_Perdition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

That edition was in my mailbox (stupid free subscription from Ticketmaster). At a quick glance, the 10 page article seems to focus on his messed up life that led up to the bombings. I haven't decided if I want to read it or not. It really depends if I get bored of drawing dicks on the cover.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FourWude

Has anyone actually been found guilty regarding the Boston Bombings? Has a verdict been reached in an independent court of law? Has evidence been produced?

If not, shut the fuck up. As per normal many of those that claim not to like conspiracy theories are partaking of one right now in this thread. Ironically by doing so they're the ones being sensationalistic.

Always baffles me when gamers as a demographic like to see themselves above the mob mentality of mainstream media, and yet deep down they're just as culpable of the same idiocy.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@animasta said:

@manmadegod said:

@animasta said:

@joeyravn said:

Two wrongs make a right?

no, but the assertion that more people are going to be influenced because of Rolling Stone is, well, very silly.

I mean who cares about getting on a magazine when you can be on the nightly news?

(also we went through this same shit with Columbine, there were news stories about that shit for YEARS)

I never claimed that it was just Rolling Stone that encourages this kind of behavior. Assuming I did is, well, very silly. The whole system upon which modern media is built trivializes crimes and it even actually awards it by showcasing it to the masses as if it was something desirable. If your answer is "well, it's not a big deal, there are other places you can appear if you put a bomb in marathon", then I really don't need to continue this discussion. The bigger evil does not excuse the smaller one.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@deegee said:

Yep. I mean, in my opinion this man deserves to be on the cover of that magazine (one of many who should be):

No Caption Provided

Absolutely agree, but that doesn't drum up controversy, something that rolling stones loves because it's free advertising.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oraknabo said:

@bestusernameever: @mariachimacabre: @epicsteve: I'll give them credit for a couple of decent articles over the last 25 years (I think Taibbi is pretty good when I read his stuff printed elsewhere) but I think the writers who broke these stories could have done just as well with these stories in a different kind of magazine.

I know it's part of their tradition to have some amount of the Hunter Thompson kind of content, but today it makes as much sense for a music magazine to run these kinds of articles as it does for Cat Fancy to.

Right there with you, RS is trying to be a big reputable news maker that has clearly not earned any of it, they have mostly gossip bullcrap with maybe one decent article spread thin. Sad thing is, that's completely common for modern, corporate owned journalism.

bassman2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 12

No Caption Provided

Mayor Menino published a great letter =)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I don't understand why the fuck pepole are complaining, the TIMES had the exact same cover photo a few weeks ago and nobody said anything

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, which one gives more attention to this guy: the Rolling Stone cover or the people being angry about the cover?

I didn't know about this article or about the cover but thanks to the angry mob, now I do. Rolling Stone is probably happy about the free advertisement.

BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, which one gives more attention to this guy: the Rolling Stone cover or the people being angry about the cover?

I didn't know about this article or about the cover but thanks to the angry mob, now I do. Rolling Stone is probably happy about the free advertisement.

It's all business, Rolling stones knew what they were doing.