Game of Thrones: Season 3 - The Thread

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#451  Edited By Ares42

@theht: I guess looking back at it Robb was just completely incompetent at waging war, which sorta makes sense of a lot of the non-sense. Good at winning battles, but not at picking them.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#452  Edited By ripelivejam

@theht said:

#TeamTheHound

i've been there for awhile buddy :)

top 5 character for sure.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A man's dick will lead him astray, yet always bring him to Walder Frey.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#454  Edited By ripelivejam

@takayamasama said:

A man's dick will lead him astray

ok jaqen h'gar

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#455  Edited By ripelivejam

talisa was a nice (i.e. wretched) surprise for us book readers. so brutal, no one deserves that, ever. :(

i was half convinced the twist with her would be she was a Lannister spy, glad they didn't go that direction.

TangoUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#456  Edited By TangoUp

Everyone loves wallowing in misery don't they?

Masterpiece, indeed.

/sarcasm

llamaegg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For those who don't understand the slight, to eat one's bread and salt is to be under their protection. While on their way to the Frey's they where actually worried that it was a trap (as Walder Frey was no a man that easily forgave), so when he finally offered them the bread and salt it was a big deal, as breaking that oath is something that just isn't done.

@ares42 said:

@theht: I guess looking back at it Robb was just completely incompetent at waging war, which sorta makes sense of a lot of the non-sense. Good at winning battles, but not at picking them.

Actually, Robb was winning the war, but in the end fucked himself over with the small battles beyond the battlefield.

WarlordPayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt bad about the wolf, but the Starks are all so god damned stupid that they deserve what they get. Except for Arya, I don't think she's done anything especially dumb yet.

Oh, and Jon Snow is a piece of shit.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Gosh, the look on poor Arya's face when her fears are realized. Oh and hey, I hope Blackfish survived.

A lot of the other stuff in this episode is overshadowed by the end (understandably) but Bran's storyline sure got hit by the event-stick this week. That whole sequence was fantastic, but Jon leaving Ygritte was not cool. Grey Worm, Daario, and Jorah fighting was fun, but easily the least interesting part. Coming back from battle and the look on Mormont's face when Dany asks for Daario was a bit sad though.

RupertTheBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#460  Edited By RupertTheBear

Is it me or did i missed the show and watched The Godfather on HBO

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Got kinda weirded out that I saw Talisa's actress while watching Quantum of Solace (meh) tonight, and right after watching this week's episode. She has a rather unfortunate arc for her character in which she is the victim of attempted rape.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#462  Edited By Hunter5024

I read this years ago and I'm still sad. My first experience with the Red Wedding ended with me lying in bed doing nothing for about 20 minutes. As for the rest of the episode, I didn't think I could possibly hate Daario more than I already did, but I do. He basically makes Daenerys seem like nothing more than a dumb horny teenager.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I know what RW stands for, and now I wish I didn't.

RIP everyone.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#464  Edited By Pop

I don't know if we can make spoilers about S03E9 or not because I just talked about everything that happened in the episode.

I remember when I read the Red Wedding the first time, it was so unexpected because it comes in like the middle of the book, I had to read it like 2-3 times cause my brain didn't understand what was happening, then I just sat there staring at the page, also I think the next chapter was about Arya and at the end it says something like "then the axe took her at the back of the head" and I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooo! but she was okay it was the blunt side of the axe and in the tv show the hound just punches her.

I like the slight glimmer of hope you get right before Robb gets stabbed, you think "oh man maybe he'll escape" and then it's the same with Catelyn, such good writing in the book and the tv show, I was really worried that they might change this in the tv series, they said this season would be a lot different than in the books, they sort of changed some of the scenery but the destination is the same.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was fun.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hell of future seasons spoilers in this thread all of a sudden for apparently no reason, this is "season 3 - the thread" not "SPOIL EVERY EVENT IN THE BOOKS - THE THREAD."

What happened to Robb being stabbed in the chest by a broadsword and Catelyn clawing half her own face off in horror? It was still well done, it's also probably the best episode since season 1 because of how well all of the characters were interwoven once more (although that's more to do with the books.)

Jon and Bran, and Arya and Robb coming so close but not meeting was just as devastating in the books too. The whole episode was so action packed as well, so much fun throughout. Having read the books I was on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

I read this years ago and I'm still sad. My first experience with the Red Wedding ended with me lying in bed doing nothing for about 20 minutes. As for the rest of the episode, I didn't think I could possibly hate Daario more than I already did, but I do. He basically makes Daenerys seem like nothing more than a dumb horny teenager.

Pretty accurate IMO (bear in mind I haven't finished book 5 part 2 yet).

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man, despite knowing what will happen, watching it was somehow way worse. At least when I was reading it I thought something would turn it around, but having the knowledge beforehand was agonising. A well put together episode.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#469  Edited By zombie2011

Only thing that bothered me was the ending scene, Cats scream just kind of died out and seemed really weak.

I feel they could have handled that better, the way they do it in the book is insane and while I don't think they should have went that far a little more crazy should have been put in the scene.

scottp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#470  Edited By scottp

My facebook feed is full of elitist being like "I loved watching all the people who haven't read the books reactions" "I've know this for so long" "wow to all the people who haven't" read the books. Ah frig off...

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#471  Edited By inkerman

Only thing that bothered me was the ending scene, Cats scream just kind of died out and seemed really weak.

I feel they could have handled that better, the way they do it in the book is insane and while I don't think they should have went that far a little more crazy should have been put in the scene.

Something simple like if she just started laughing to herself, I think it is a bit of a thing to leave out, although the blank stare does convey she kind of just 'broke'. I get why the whole 'clawing the face' thing would have been cut though.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#472  Edited By JouselDelka

@thedudeofgaming said:

The Stark family, also known as George R. R. Martin's fictional punching bag. Seriously, go fuck yourself George.

That's it I mean I'm basically left with no one to root for. Jon Snow is up in the north doing absolutely nothing, Aria is a child, Sansa is just a leaf relying on the mercy of wind. Stannis is busy being Melisandre's bitch and Davos rots in a dungeon.

What? Daenerys? Fuck that. I better see the right people die real fucking soon or I'm done with this series.

Oh fergodsakes mr. dudeofgaming, settle down and read the books. :)

We don't want to read the fucking books, we wanna experience the show as if the books don't exist, WHY IS THAT SO DIFFICULT IN THIS THREAD?

I ain't mad.

Anyway, I just finished the episode and this is basically the first time in my life that I felt a cold rough-edged brick sliding down my chest and sitting over my beating heart. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you I'm still having a little difficulty breathing.

I mean... seriously, I don't think George is very brilliant. There's a very thin line between legitimate story telling that is so good it grips and shocks you, and between fiction that is clearlydesigned to make you attached to something so it can be taken away. This author obviously created a family of good honorable men so he can start killing them off and making the reader/viewer suffer.

He's playing God by being a sick cold psychopath who arbitrarily and brutally kills people you care about, rather than being a good author and shocking/gripping you with the whole plot.

scottp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SeanCoughing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#474  Edited By SeanCoughing

@aegon: I'm not familiar with that version of the audiobook but that guy keeps saying "Caitlin", to be fair Roy dotrice starts saying "Caitlin" and "Jeffrey" by the 4th and 5th audiobook and it gets a little annoying.

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#475  Edited By Dacnomaniac

@jay_ray: The Epilogue for season 4/5... really? I think it'd be smarter to include that into the next episode, so that the viewer...doesn't feel....empty....

@jouseldelka: That's the sort of thing people put, and nobody can disagree without spoiling it...GAH FUCK.

@mocbucket62: When playing the game of thrones, you win or you die. Valar Morghulis.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#476  Edited By MocBucket62

@jouseldelka: Never thought of how Game of Thrones was written in that way. I never read any of the books and I'm just watching the series, but I'm starting to lean on your side on what to think of the series' direction.

Honestly I had no idea what to expect in this episode because I've haven't seen any episodes while I was in college and in a study aboard trip. I learned that I should of just hold off on seeing this episode because damn, I didn't think the writers would get viewers as shocked and mad as they did with the death of Papa Stark in season 1. Seriously, if the message of the series is "In order to win, you have to be a prick", then I'm not sure if I want to follow this series anymore.

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@herbiebug said:

@thedudeofgaming said:

The Stark family, also known as George R. R. Martin's fictional punching bag. Seriously, go fuck yourself George.

That's it I mean I'm basically left with no one to root for. Jon Snow is up in the north doing absolutely nothing, Aria is a child, Sansa is just a leaf relying on the mercy of wind. Stannis is busy being Melisandre's bitch and Davos rots in a dungeon.

What? Daenerys? Fuck that. I better see the right people die real fucking soon or I'm done with this series.

We don't want to read the fucking books, we wanna experience the show as if the books don't exist, WHY IS THAT SO DIFFICULT IN THIS THREAD?

I ain't mad.

Anyway, I just finished the episode and this is basically the first time in my life that I felt a cold rough-edged brick sliding down my chest and sitting over my beating heart. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you I'm still having a little difficulty breathing.

I mean... seriously, I don't think George is very brilliant. There's a very thin line between legitimate story telling that is so good it grips and shocks you, and between fiction that is clearlydesigned to make you attached to something so it can be taken away. This author obviously created a family of good honorable men so he can start killing them off and making the reader/viewer suffer.

He's playing God by being a sick cold psychopath who arbitrarily and brutally kills people you care about, rather than being a good author and shocking/gripping you with the whole plot.

Depending on how spoiler heavy you want to get and how open your mind is to longshots there is a theory on why the Starks and Baratheons, families that opposed the Targaryens, are systematically getting killed off. There are two more books left. There could be answers. If there aren't then Martin is a shit writer, although I think at times he can be, but if there are then it's kind of genius. We don't know the whole plot. We might not ever know it if he doesn't get his ass in gear and finish it before dropping dead.

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#479  Edited By Maajin

I am really impressed with how I was able to keep every single event in that episode completely unspoiled for me. It was amazing! All those happy scenes built so much tension and by the end of it I was completely drained.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aiurflux: While I appreciate your post, I stopped reading half way through when you Inception'd me and gave me the idea that their death is systemic and meaningful.

Now I have that idea in my head, thanks.

I think this needs to be explained again for everyone:

The books don't exist for people who are watching and discussing the show here. This thread is dedicated to season 3, and not anything else.

If Bran dies next episode and there's an explanation for his death in season 6, LET US KEEP THINKING THAT THERE'S NO REASON, don't tell us that future books will explain it, that's what ruining the show means. I'm here to discuss the show as if there's no books. The latest episode is the latest event in the Game of Thrones universe for us viewers.

I wish someone would help me explain to these 'books books books' folks how this shit works. Damn.

DrxLecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jouseldelka: Reading the OP it states that people shouldn't maliciously spoil others, not that book talk is completely verboten. Most people are keeping book stuff behind spoilers, feel free to report the ones that aren't. Simply because you haven't read something doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to discuss it.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@tangoup said:

Everyone loves wallowing in misery don't they?

Masterpiece, indeed.

/sarcasm

You sure showed us, bro.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I was waiting something to go wrong, but MAN...

I love this show.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#484  Edited By Osaladin

Man, I was waiting for that scene this entire season! They did an amazing job with it, the silent credits at the end, Michelle Fairley's acting was so good. I remember when I read that I was so shocked, and credit to the show, I got some of that feeling back even though I knew it was coming.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#486  Edited By stryker1121

@herbiebug said:

@thedudeofgaming said:

I ain't mad.

I don't understand this line of thinking at all. it's not like the Red Wedding came out of nowhere. This was a seed that was planted a while ago and came to fruition last night. To call it something done for cheap shock value (if that's what you're doing) is unfair and frankly confounding.

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow so glad I never read the books, just came out of nowhere. Finally a good vibes episode and BANG! Might have to not visit this thread in the future though, some people just can't help but spoil things.

CoinMatze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#488  Edited By CoinMatze

I think at about 10 minutes in I looked at my wife, who read the books, and said "Rob's gonna die, right?" She tried to be all stonefaced about it but couldn't hide the smile. I thought I was prepared for what was to come. So wrong.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#489  Edited By Tennmuerti
@jouseldelka said:

@herbiebug said:

@thedudeofgaming said:

I ain't mad.

Here's the thing. I'm totally with you on the spoiler thing.

But.

If you have not read the books, nor want to read them or have anything to do with them (which is a perfectly reasonable stance), then I think you have no ground at all to call George a bad author, or judge his writing ability at all.

Besides the quite standard different experience a book delivers to a movie (or in this case series) you also have the fact that the series sometimes shows you different things that were not in the book, or chooses not to show certain things instead. It also does so with a different chronology. In addition to having a different approach to storytelling. While the plot may follow the same general path, how that plot and characters are conveyed is a very key aspect of a good story. You can write the exact same plot in a very different way that would be completely atrocious or you can do it with a verve and genius.

Judging an authors writing by a television adaptation of his book is wrong. That thin line you're talking about is already quite thick between the original work and an adaptation.

On the other hand if you decided to read the books and argue why he is not a good author based on that, then there would be something to discuss.

PS:

Seeing the "right people die" attitude is not going to fly for this piece of fiction. Hasn't been from the start. If it was it would be your average piece of fantasy and would not stand out at all amongst it's numerous peers.

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@randiolo said:

I dunno about you guys but im waiting for this guy to make a fucking comeback..Its the only think that will cheer me up..

No Caption Provided

Oh man if he turned up with his wooden sword to stop the massacre, would of been the biggest "fuck you" to the book purist's.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#491  Edited By HerbieBug

@tennmuerti: Ha! Yeah, there are definitely avenues of criticism you can take in calling into question Martin's writing ability. Not his prose, but moreso his planning and structure, in particular with his execution of Feast for Crows and A Dance With Dragons.. Calling him a bad author for utilizing "cheap tricks" for "shock value" is quite absurd, yes.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#492  Edited By Funkydupe

Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) hasn't exactly improved her acting skills throughout the series. In season one I found her character to be the most interesting because of her rebel ways etc. Now I keep noticing more how badly and mechanical she acts during most scenes. Like during the scenes with the Hound. I hope she snaps out of it.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I think I'm done with Game of Thrones now. That episode just left me real cold.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#495  Edited By mrfluke
fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy fucking shit.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#497  Edited By Funkydupe
No Caption Provided

Indeed!

DeadPan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#498  Edited By DeadPan

No Caption Provided

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#499  Edited By jay_ray

@dacnomaniac: You maybe right but to me (big spoiler for people who haven't finished book 3 or non book readers) that resolution and come back would have a more visceral feeling if there is more time between the red wedding and Cat's resurrection

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#500  Edited By SlashDance

@jay_ray: Well fuck... why did I read that...

You did put a spoiler tag so that's on me, but next time say it's a book spoiler before and not after the spoiler block. x)