Getting my films on. (Recommend some, add to my list)

• 51 results
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By KnifeySpoony

So recently I have gone back to watching older and/or obscure movies. These include titles such as Bitch Slap, The Thing (1982), Lesbian Vampire Killers, Robocop, Re-animator and up next I have Black Dynamite. My taste for movies when alone typically go for older horror/monster films (I have a soft spot for non-CG gore) and Sci-Fi as well as anything that just sounds absolutely insane.

I now have started to compile a list of movies I plan on watching at some point, trying to keep with a certain theme, The Thing was the first.
1. Tron 1982
2. Total Recall 1990
3. A Clockwork Orange 1971
4. Back to the Future 1985
5. Gattaca 1997
6. Videodrome 1983
7. Twelve Monkeys 1995

Really I'm kind of all over the place, and I'm definitely not excluding movies I have not seen for years, Back to the Future being the big one here. 

I'm looking for more to add to this list, so let me hear some of your suggestions giantbomb! My only request is unless it is something absolutely absurd and not too well known, such as Bitch Slap or Lesbian Vampire Killers, nothing too recent.

Note, in the time it takes me to watch 2 more off of this list, I'll probably have watched The Fifth Element again. I own it and it's one of my favorite sci-fi movies, well movies in general. 

Edit: Note 2, Feel free to recommend your favorite Jackie Chan movie as well, I had started to go back through his career earlier last year.

Cheers

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By KnifeySpoony

So recently I have gone back to watching older and/or obscure movies. These include titles such as Bitch Slap, The Thing (1982), Lesbian Vampire Killers, Robocop, Re-animator and up next I have Black Dynamite. My taste for movies when alone typically go for older horror/monster films (I have a soft spot for non-CG gore) and Sci-Fi as well as anything that just sounds absolutely insane.

I now have started to compile a list of movies I plan on watching at some point, trying to keep with a certain theme, The Thing was the first.
1. Tron 1982
2. Total Recall 1990
3. A Clockwork Orange 1971
4. Back to the Future 1985
5. Gattaca 1997
6. Videodrome 1983
7. Twelve Monkeys 1995

Really I'm kind of all over the place, and I'm definitely not excluding movies I have not seen for years, Back to the Future being the big one here. 

I'm looking for more to add to this list, so let me hear some of your suggestions giantbomb! My only request is unless it is something absolutely absurd and not too well known, such as Bitch Slap or Lesbian Vampire Killers, nothing too recent.

Note, in the time it takes me to watch 2 more off of this list, I'll probably have watched The Fifth Element again. I own it and it's one of my favorite sci-fi movies, well movies in general. 

Edit: Note 2, Feel free to recommend your favorite Jackie Chan movie as well, I had started to go back through his career earlier last year.

Cheers

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike
@KnifeySpoony: Check out The Believers - 1987, starring Martin Sheen. I think it may be right up your alley.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SeriouslyNow
Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Fallen189

Wristcutters-A love story.

Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Jesus

-The big lebowski 
-pulp fiction 
- fargo 
- Into the Wild 
- blood simple 
- Donnie Darko 
- Dazed and Confused 
- American Beauty 
- A clockwork Orange 
- Grave of the Fireflies 
- Fight club 
- taxi driver 
- reservoir dogs 
- terminator 2 
- little miss sunshine  
- the usual suspects 
- mystic river 
- one flew over the cookoos nest 
- groundhog day 
- lost in translation 
- Big 
- boyz n the hood  
- castle in the sky 
- spirited away 
- whisper of the heart 
- only yesterday
all I can think of right now
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

since you'll get 100 people recommending 100 films each and will be drowning in titles that u wont read the replies anymore, i wont contribute :)  if i did i'd name nothing more than 10 great movies, to keep the pressure off of you

good luck on your quest

raddevon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By raddevon

My suggestion is pretty new but also fairly obscure: Following. It is the feature-film debut from Christopher Nolan who directed the two most recent Batman movies in addition to Memento which is another fantastic suggestion although it is probably neither old nor obscure enough to fit your criteria.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By foggel

If you like sci fi and Kubrick movies (I see you mentioned A Clockwork Orange), you can't go wrong with 2001: A Space Odyssey.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By guiseppe

No Caption Provided

Maybe?
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Bombs_Away
@KnifeySpoony:
District 13
Mesrine
Old Boy ( All of the Vengeance Trilogy is amazing)
Big Trouble In Little China
Cold Prey
Battle Royale
Breathless
A Bittersweet Life
Hard Boiled
Election 1+2 
Escape From New York
Avatar image for redeyesbluebunny
RedEyesBlueBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By RedEyesBlueBunny
@guiseppe said:
"  
No Caption Provided
         Maybe? "
it will blow your mind...in multiple ways?
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@MB: Will look into it, Martin Sheen is good.
@SeriouslyNow: Will have to have a look at that, I vaguely remember it from long ago.  
@Fallen189: Interesting, I have heard a lot about it but never watched it.
@Ahmad_Metallic: That's why I at least tried to set up more of a criteria for what kind of movie I'm looking for. Is there any one sci-fi or horror flick you have in mind?
@raddevon: I remember hearing good things about Following so I'll be sure to check it out. Momento is a great movie indeed.
@foggel: I think I'm at a point where I need to read the book before I can watch it again, I saw it in the last year. The reason A Clockwork Orange is on the list is that I never got to finish it.
@Bombs_Away: I've actually got Old Boy to watch, I don't know why I didn't add it to the list, but maybe that will be next.  I also saw a gif from District 13 of the girl shoving her panties in the guy's mouth, haha. It's funny you listed Big Trouble In Little China, as after seeing The Thing, I was thinking of going back and seeing that again for more Kurt Russell. I saw Battle Royale, great flick, insane. It's a shame that the sequel isn't nearly as good. I think I will my John Woo fix with Hard Boiled, thanks for bringing it up.
 @guiseppe: After watching the trailer, that movie looks awesome. Can't wait to see some more of those effects.
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38
@KnifeySpoony said:

" @Fallen189: Interesting, I have heard a lot about it but never watched it.
@Bombs_Away: I've actually got Old Boy to watch, I don't know why I didn't add it to the list, but maybe that will be next.  I also saw a gif from District 13 of the girl shoving her panties in the guy's mouth, haha. It's funny you listed Big Trouble In Little China, as after seeing The Thing, I was thinking of going back and seeing that again for more Kurt Russell. I saw Battle Royale, great flick, insane. It's a shame that the sequel isn't nearly as good. I think I will my John Woo fix with Hard Boiled, thanks for bringing it up. "

Wristcutters is really good. It lost me somewhere around the halfway point but redeemed itself in the end.

Also, if you're watching Oldboy, you should watch the other two films in the Vengeance Trilogy (if you haven't already): Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. You could also try out Ichi the Killer or Audition if you're into gore and stuff in that direction. If you just want something that's absolutely bizarre you could try Tokyo Gore Police. Happy watching.
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#14  Edited By GunstarRed

The Last starfighter! 

Police story 3: Supercop is pretty awesome.
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Gabriel

If you liked the thing then you'll really like Escape from New York, plus you get to see the birth of Solid Snake conceptionally.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By buzz_clik
@Gabriel said:
" If you liked the thing then you'll really like Escape from New York, plus you get to see the birth of Solid Snake conceptionally. "
I concur, and I'd add that Escape from LA is to be avoided.

Also, everyone should watch Riki-Oh in its entirety here.

P.S. I guess from your avatar you've got other reasons to like Escape from NY, no?
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By xyzygy
@KnifeySpoony:
 Barry Lyndon. I made a blog post doing a review on it, but not many people know of it so it didn't get any replies... :P 

It's a Kubrick film which he did after A Clockwork Orange. Go check out my blog for my review of it, you and anyone else reading this needs to see that movie. Truly an epic work of art. I definitely reccomend seeing it, some call it Kubrick's best work. The cinematography, the acting, the music... oh man.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Willy105

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Hook

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Rain Man

Iron Giant

The General  

The Last Starfighter

among others....

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@Dr_Feelgood38: I might go with Ichi the Killer, a friend of mine loves it. I saw Audition a year or two ago with a couple friends, and by the end we were perplexed. But then I found out it was actually advertised as a romantic comedy and that makes it genius.
I've seen Tokyo Gore Police and Machine Girl a few times, great flicks. Then again I'm crazy.

@marioncobretti: The Last Starfighter looks interesting, and yes Supercop is awesome.

@Gabriel: I considered it, but I might have seen it already, I remember not liking it for some reason. Then again I could just be mixing my soured memories of seeing parts of Escape from LA with it.

@buzz_clik: Absolutely agree, anyone who is interested in cheap gore and/or kung fu, need to see The Story of Ricky. It's a necessity, so great haha.

@xyzygy: Will definitely check it out after reading your review. Sounds a lot more serious then what I'm looking for, but an incredible movie is always welcome.

@Willy105: I completely forgot Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow existed. How is it?
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By breadfan

I just watched Stander a few days ago. It was pretty good, nothing spectacular. Worth a watch. 

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By penguindust

I don't know what you've seen or haven't seen so I am going to recommend a dozen older sci-fi movies that are worth your time.  Some may have not aged as well as others but they are still notable in the genre.   All links lead to YouTube trailers.

1. Logan's Run (1976) ~ Michael York discovers that life in utopia where no one ever grows old hides a dark secret.
  2. The Omega Man (1971) ~ Charlton Heston is the last man on Earth...or so he thinks.
  3. Runaway (1984) ~ Tom Selleck hunts robots that have become a danger to their owners, then Gene Simmons shows up and things get interesting.
  4. Caveman (1981) ~ Ringo Starr, Shelley Long and Dennis Quaid are cave-people...with a wacky dinosaur in pursuit.
  5. The Andromeda Strain (1971) ~ A biological accident is more dangerous than first perceived.
  6. Damnation Alley (1977) ~ George Peppard & Jan Michael Vincent roam the wastelands of America after the bomb drops in an RV (of sorts).
  7. The Final Countdown (1980) ~ Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen have a chance to stop World War 2 with a modern aircraft carrier.
  8. Outland (1981) ~ Sean Connery is the new sheriff in town just outside of the planet Saturn with a murder to solve.
  9. The Dead Zone (1983) ~ Christopher Walken can see the future in a story by Stephen King.
  10. Repo Man (1984) ~ Emelio Estevez trains to be a repo man.  And there is something very odd in the trunk of one of his repossessed cars.
  11. The Hidden (1987) ~ Kyle MacLachlan is an intergalactic bounty hunter in L.A.
  12. Hardware (1990) ~ Dylan McDermott hunts for electronic junk and stuff amid the ruins of a post-cataclysmic world.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By buzz_clik
@PenguinDust said:
" Hardware (1990) ~ Dylan McDermott hunts for electronic junk and stuff amid the ruins of a post-cataclysmic world. "
If you like Hardware, you might also like the 2000AD comic strip that it was not-so-legally based on.

Shok!
uber_schlummie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By uber_schlummie

Watch "Red Dawn" with Charlie Sheen and compare it to the Russian invasion levels of MW2's single-player.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By penguindust
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Willy105
@KnifeySpoony said:
" @Willy105: I completely forgot Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow existed. How is it? "
It's fantastic. It is a complete reconstruction of a 1950's adventure movie with modern technology and pacing. It's also very exciting and fun. It's also very impressive, because it is literally 100% green-screen filmed.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kmdrkul

To stick with your sci-fi binge, I'll recommend Blade Runner and Dark City.  Alien is a classic, if you have yet to see that (shame on you if you haven't seen that or Blade Runner, though :P)

Also, Moon came out on dvd a week ago.  That's a really great film.  Children of Men was a really good sci-fi film also.

Lastly, I recommend the entire Mad Max trilogy.  Road Warrior is the best of the trilogy.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@PenguinDust: Those really are some great suggestions. I had been thinking of seeing Logan's Run again. I saw The Andromeda Strain last year, fun flick, though I don't remember too much beyond the base itself. Thanks a lot

@Willy105: Ah interesting, a lot of Bitch Slap is green screen (but that's due to a low budget) and it's hilariously poor. 

@kmdrkul: After listening to the Mass Effect Bombcast, I think I may go back and watch Alien again. I haven't seen it since I was a little kid when I was scared to shit by it. No worries, I've seen Blade Runner and Road Warrior. I've heard people talk about moon but no one has really told me what it's about and therefore I was never interested.
bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bubahula

equilibrium

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@Bubahula: Haha, I was waiting for someone to suggest it. I may go back and see it again. I think I saw it in 6th grade and thought it was bad ass. The serious scene with him hiding a puppy in his trunk has always stuck with me as being incredibly silly.
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheFreeMan
@Bombs_Away said:
"A Bittersweet Life"
I second this with as much of a vengeance as I can possibly muster.

Incredible movie on every level. It's not really "insane", and definitely not sci-fi, but it is definitely obscure and it is definitely amazing.
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@TheFreeMan: Is it easily available?
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HandsomeDead

Not sure if it's already been recommended or even seen but if you're already going for Total Recall, you have to finish the Verhoeven subversive sci-fi trilogy with Starship Troopers and RoboCop. Easily some of the greatest films ever made.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@HandsomeDead: Ha, yeah I watched Robocop last week, for some reason I didn't think about Starship Troopers, I probably should.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kmdrkul
@KnifeySpoony: I think Moon is the type of movie that is best when you know as little about it as possible.  Personally I think it kind of shares some of the same themes as Blade Runner, but that doesn't mean they are the same... not at all.  It's a great psychological drama wrapped up in a neat sci-fi setting.
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@kmdrkul: Ah okay, that's all I needed. Just wasn't sure what genre it even fell under, cheers.
chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#36  Edited By chstupid
TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheFreeMan
@KnifeySpoony said:
" @TheFreeMan: Is it easily available? "
I don't think so, at least not where I live. It is, however, extremely easy to find streaming on the internet, if you don't have any objections to that sort of thing.
phragit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By phragit

If you like videodrome, check out other Cronenberg movies (Crash, Naked Lunch, Dead Ringers, Existenz). Going with the dystopian motif you seem to have set up, I'd reccomend Metropolis (1927), M, A Scanner Darkly, Fahrenheit 451, Alphaville, The Trial, Wings of Desire, Brazil and The Man Who Fell to Earth.

KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@TheFreeMan: If it isn't easy to find in the area, I have no problems with it.
bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By bubahula
@KnifeySpoony: 
i love that scene lol
"'hes gota puppy! shoot him!"
that movie gets more badass every time i watch it.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By teh_destroyer

Pitch Black 
Reign of FIre 
Alien VS Predator Requiem 
District 9 
Firefly (canceled tv show that you need to watch if you havent) 
Descent 
Brotherhood of the Wolf(later the guy directed Silent Hill) 
My Name Is Bruce 
A few that were not mentioned, but you might enjoy it.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By mordukai
  • Citizen Kane
  • The Dollar Trilogy    
  • The Usual Suspects 
  • Catch 22
  • Blade Runner
Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Tiwi

one film: Children of man.
it's a fantastic film.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By DCFGS3

District 13, the English subbed. A great French Parcour/Action movie. 
Old Boys, a Korean (?) martial arts movie that is a must watch (HUGE MUTHERFUCKING TWIST). 
If you're into romantic stuff I can't recommend 'Turn Left, Turn Right' enough, a truly wonderful film Singaporean/Hong Kong film set in Taipei.
And of course, the first Battle Royale. this is a violent, violent, Japanese movie that is simply mind blowing in awesomeness.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

1) 2001: A Space Odyssey
2) Full Metal Jacket
3) Donnie Darko

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46  Edited By veektarius
@kmdrkul: I love Dark City, and yet almost everyone I ever met didn't even like it.  That scene in the visiting room is one of the few movie scenes where I think to myself "Oh, that's so romantic" like a girl.  

To topic, let's see, what haven't you seen here.  One movie you probably haven't seen is the original Rollerball with James Caan.  I like it - it has a very uncharismatic main character, which reduces its appeal, I think, but it's oddly realistic for all its cheesy sci-fi premise. 

And also, if you haven't seen it, Unbreakable, which I still think is the best superhero origin movie ever made.   I'll throw out a shout for Sky Captain, too.  It's not a great film, but it's hard to find another non-Indiana Jones film that does as good a job emulating the Indiana Jones adventurey feel.
regularassmilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By regularassmilk
  • A Clockwork Orange (1972)
  • Reservoir Dogs (1992)
  • Full Metal Jacket  (1987)
  • Eraserhead  (1977)
  • Blade Runner (1982)
  • Dirty Harry (1971)
  • High Plains Drifter (1973)
  • The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (1966)
ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ryoma122

battle royal 1 if you dont mind sub titles s
either of the young guns movies 
ghost busters one thats all i can thing of rite now

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49  Edited By veektarius
@phragit: Let me emphasize Brazil out of that list.
KnifeySpoony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KnifeySpoony
@Veektarius: Thanks for the suggestions, I have seen unbreakable, definitely interesting. Good characters. Will check out Rollerball.

@phragit:

I looked at ExistenZ before this blog and I think I may have seen it on TV not too long ago, it could have been something else though. A Scanner Darkly is great, have seen it many times. Will look into a few more of those.

Thanks everyone, I got plenty of great suggestions, time to get into them.