GiantBomb Mod Idol?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#51  Edited By breadfan
@Otacon said:
" Another Mod or two wouldn't go a miss, as long as things never become as ludicrous as Gamespot's modding standards which is close to a fascist regime. "
We don't need to change the current Giant Bomb policy we just need to make sure there are enough people to keep things in line.
Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By Stang
@CitizenKane: Apparently the person in the modeling thread is truly a girl. I have my doubts though.
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#53  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@CitizenKane said:
" @creamypies said:
" @CitizenKane said:
" The two finalist we choose will have to find in the THUNDERDOME to become the next moderator.  Two men enter.  One new mod leaves. "
Congrats on the 3000th post! And aren't you being a little sexist there? :P "
You mean there are girls on the internet? "
I believe there is a slightly popular thread currently trending that covers this very question.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By Hamz
@Xeiphyer: TheBeast and myself are both from the UK (it is almost 5am here lol) and so we tend to be most active during EU friendly timezones. The other four forum moderators are from around various parts of the USA. So a larger majority of our forum mods are from a similar, albeit different I imagine, timezone.
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By DanielJW
@CitizenKane said:
" @creamypies said:
" @CitizenKane said:
" The two finalist we choose will have to find in the THUNDERDOME to become the next moderator.  Two men enter.  One new mod leaves. "
You clearly haven't been in the Modeling Gig thread.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#56  Edited By citizenkane

I must investigate this "girls on the internet" fad that has recently come to fruition. 

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#57  Edited By jkz

Yes, particularly for the forums, the Wiki seems like its going fine.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#58  Edited By Johnny5

IRC isnt so bad, if more people stopped by, it'd be better. :P

In regards to the mod issue, looking at the spread of mod activity over different timezones is a given.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#59  Edited By DanielJW

In regard to covering this time of day, getting a mod in EST (if there isn't already one) would probably be a good idea. Seeing as it's usually only eleven o'clock or midnight when this "spam time" begins.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I think the mods do a fine job for the amount of them that are around, I think the site could do some good use with 1-2 more mods, hoping they don't abuse the power and beat use with sticks.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#61  Edited By Akeldama
@Hamz said:
" So the one trend I've noticed with posts in this topic is that a majority of folks feel that the site could benefit from having more moderators, I assume this is specifically for moderating the forums and not the wiki? Or would people like to see an increased level of activity or numbers moderating both areas?  I'm open to suggestions and feedback on this! "
just one or two mods to patrol the forums would be nice. There has been an increase in trolls and spam lately. 
Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

my vote is to remove one mod

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By c1337us

I don't care either way. But if your going to do it Jakob187 wouldn't be a terrible choice I don't think. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By JJOR64

I think we could use a few more forums mods and wiki mods.  It would really help the site, especially during the late/early morning hours.

LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#65  Edited By LeetBalla

I hate mods.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By LiquidPrince

I think the mods do what they need to do fine. More wouldn't hurt, but there isn't anything wrong right now.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By SoothsayerGB

DuDe!  How in the hell can you MOD a forum?  You using Hax!  This isn't Half-life....

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#68  Edited By breadfan
@LeetBalla said:
I hate mods.
Don't be hatin'
dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#69  Edited By dethfish

I think there's enough mods. 

There are times where it seems like all the mods are gone though. The middle of the night seems to be the worst.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By FunExplosions

Yeah. Just one or two would seem appropriate, for the time being. I also think that semi-spamming comically on one post in a night isn't necessarily bad. Just when it gets too offensive or if other threads become infected by the fart jokes and Chuck Norris pictures.

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By erinfizz
@Hamz said:
" So the one trend I've noticed with posts in this topic is that a majority of folks feel that the site could benefit from having more moderators, I assume this is specifically for moderating the forums and not the wiki? Or would people like to see an increased level of activity or numbers moderating both areas?  I'm open to suggestions and feedback on this! "
Yeah, I think a couple more forum mods would be a good idea. I also think after yesterday's explosion of funny but spammy polls demonstrate the need for being able to flag polls.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#72  Edited By flaminghobo
@Hamz said:
I think we should have another one or two mods to moderate the forums and perhaps another to moderate the wiki? It would just help deal with the growing amount of users on the site, though you are all doing a good job so far I must say.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#73  Edited By mike
@Bucketdeth said:
" I think the mods do a fine job for the amount of them that are around, I think the site could do some good use with 1-2 more mods, hoping they don't abuse the power and beat use with sticks. "
Some people pay good money for that sort of treatment, you know.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By mike
@Dethfish77 said:
" I think there's enough mods.   There are times where it seems like all the mods are gone though. The middle of the night seems to be the worst. "
The thing is, no matter how many moderators we bring on, there will always be times...usually in the middle of the night US time...that there simply won't be anybody online. 

The truth of the matter is we are all volunteers taking our payment in the form of the occasional hoodie or t-shirt or hooker, and we all have careers and/or school and our lives to deal with as well.

We are definitely actively exploring options (even before this thread started) so keep the opinions coming.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By flaminghobo
@MB said:
" @Dethfish77 said:
" I think there's enough mods.   There are times where it seems like all the mods are gone though. The middle of the night seems to be the worst. "
The thing is, no matter how many moderators we bring on, there will always be times...usually in the middle of the night US time...that there simply won't be anybody online.   The truth of the matter is we are all volunteers taking our payment in the form of the occasional hoodie or t-shirt or hooker, and we all have careers and/or school and our lives to deal with as well.  We are definitely actively exploring options (even before this thread started) so keep the opinions coming. "
Well how about you look at the peak time as to when spam topics appear the most, which seems to be during the middle of the night US time, also when there doesn't seem to be a moderator on the site. Take those results and search for someone who is usually online at these times and the community would be happy with as a mod. 

What do you make of the idea?
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Linkyshinks

I want to see female moderators, so they can put an end to the sexist and sexually vulgar commentary directed at female members consistently. 

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Red12b
@MB said:
" @Dethfish77 said:
The thing is, no matter how many moderators we bring on, there will always be times...usually in the middle of the night US time...that there simply won't be anybody online.   The truth of the matter is we are all volunteers taking our payment in the form of the occasional hoodie or t-shirt or hooker, and we all have careers and/or school and our lives to deal with as well.  We are definitely actively exploring options (even before this thread started) so keep the opinions coming. "

Just want to have my say, I reckon you guy's do an absolutely outstanding job as it is,  
When I come on, around 10pm-3 am nz time 6am-11am US Eastern time and 3-8 Pacific time there seems to be little mod activity, I know I will be turned down, but if you need someone I would like to help,
Payment of hookers and or sexual favours can be processed by my secretary. 

I am serious though, I would be more than willing.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Red12b
@Linkyshinks said:
"I want to see female moderators, so they can put an end to the sexist and sexually vulgar commentary directed at female members consistently.  "

I agree mate, Proof is in the fact that there is 6000 views and over 470 post's in that modeling thread, It went nuts! 
It's just who here would be around alot?
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#79  Edited By Karmum
@CitizenKane said:

" @creamypies said:

" @CitizenKane said:

Girls on the internet? You have got to be kidding me. Don't even joke around like that. I've been to the Thunderdome guys, it roc....

Oh, wai-

When it comes to the late night situation, nobody is really on at that period. Nobody would be able to cover such a ridiculous shift, because I've seen it happen myself (in the summer, being a very late owl).

Edit - Oh yeah, I was so expecting some kind of photoshop entering this topic, with "GiantBomb Idol" scrawled on some kind of picture. I'm sad now.
flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By flaminghobo
@Red12b said:
" I know I will be turned down, but if you need someone I would like to help, 

Payment of hookers and or sexual favours can be processed by my secretary. 

I am serious though, I would be more than willing. "

I am willing to help also.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Karmum
@MB said:
" @Bucketdeth said:
" I think the mods do a fine job for the amount of them that are around, I think the site could do some good use with 1-2 more mods, hoping they don't abuse the power and beat use with sticks. "
Some people pay good money for that sort of treatment, you know. "
What are you trying to say? Are you looking for that kind of treatment? I have the hookups you know, dude.

Just saying, just putting that out there for you.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Pazy
@Red12b said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
"I want to see female moderators, so they can put an end to the sexist and sexually vulgar commentary directed at female members consistently.  "
I agree mate, Proof is in the fact that there is 6000 views and over 470 post's in that modeling thread, It went nuts! It's just who here would be around alot? "

Ye that thread embarress the whole community, not neccaserily the premise (the idea that woman can put up a tasteful modelling picture and be appreciated for beauty and art makes sense to me) but the amount of views and posts it has compared to other threads in a similer time span and im sure at least one post I read said "Has she posted tits yet" or something similer.

Perhaps this would make me an unfit moderator but Id go to that thread first and perhaps close it (or maybe put a warning to keep a bit "cleaner") because it embarress us all and exposes the base nature of some of the members of this forum.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Karmum
@Pazy said:
" @Red12b said:
" @Linkyshinks said:
I agree mate, Proof is in the fact that there is 6000 views and over 470 post's in that modeling thread, It went nuts! It's just who here would be around alot? "

Ye that thread embarress the whole community, not neccaserily the premise (the idea that woman can put up a tasteful modelling picture and be appreciated for beauty and art makes sense to me) but the amount of views and posts it has compared to other threads in a similer time span and im sure at least one post I read said "Has she posted tits yet" or something similer.

Perhaps this would make me an unfit moderator but Id go to that thread first and perhaps close it (or maybe put a warning to keep a bit "cleaner") because it embarress us all and exposes the base nature of some of the members of this forum.

"
The nature of teenage-to-college males? I wouldn't expect otherwise, dude. You're surprised something like that was popular? I'm not saying I was for it, but you're talking about an internet forum that is male dominated. Not that shocking.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By mike
@Karmum said:
The nature of teenage-to-college males? I wouldn't expect otherwise, dude. You're surprised something like that was popular? I'm not saying I was for it, but you're talking about an internet forum that is male dominated. Not that shocking. "
It's sort of like being surprised that a pack of hyenas would single out, kill, and devour a sickly little gazelle that was left behind by the herd.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Pazy
@Karmum said:
" @Pazy said:
" @Red12b said:
" @Linkyshinks said:

"
The nature of teenage-to-college males? I wouldn't expect otherwise, dude. You're surprised something like that was popular? I'm not saying I was for it, but you're talking about an internet forum that is male dominated. Not that shocking. "
Im not suprised it happens but Im still embarresed by it. Add on to that the fact that this forum has the space for actual deep conversations about diffrent topics (not just games) at diffrent times it makes me sad that they would let their base instincts bring them down again after such a good showing. I have to accept it as this is the internet but Im embarresed by it.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Red12b
@Pazy said:
"@Red12b said:
" @Linkyshinks said:

"

Well actually think back to when Leigh Alexander went on the Bombcast a few months ago, Now that was disgraceful. 
The Endogene thread, But he did kind of deserve that one,  

My opinion, the userbase is the same, It's just once in awhile something comes up and gets this place into a frenzy. 

Not that that thread was unnecessary I mean she just signed up like two days ago. 
I have not lost faith in this place yet though, We have some really great users.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Pazy
@Red12b said:
" @Pazy said:
"@Red12b said:
" @Linkyshinks said:

"

Well actually think back to when Leigh Alexander went on the Bombcast a few months ago, Now that was disgraceful. 
The Endogene thread, But he did kind of deserve that one,  

My opinion, the userbase is the same, It's just once in awhile something comes up and gets this place into a frenzy. 

Not that that thread was unnecessary I mean she just signed up like two days ago. 
I have not lost faith in this place yet though, We have some really great users.

"

Im not trying to say I have lost faith but I dont have as much respect for it that I had before it. This is still the best video game community ive been apart of even after this "episode".
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Red12b
@MB said:
" @Karmum said:
It's sort of like being surprised that a pack of hyenas would single out, kill, and devour a sickly little gazelle that was left behind by the herd. "

Hm, Exactly
It just happens once in awhile, This place goes apeshit and then we get a few months of smooth sailing.
rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By rallier

If there would be another mod i would also prefer it to be a she in order to balance things out a bit. I do not think that another mod is all that needed though since the karma system is blocking trolls from trolling, the only problem are those who spam troll topics crying for it to be locked keeping the topic at the top of the forums.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#90  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

There are enough times I can recall checking out "Who's Online" and not seeing a single mod that makes me think 1-2 additional forum mods would be a pretty good idea.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Red12b
@Pazy:
Respect is all relevent mate, I have respect for the staff and I will prob always will,  
Respect the site, Not the users if you wish,  

Same goes for the likes of 4chan, Respect the site, Deffinitly not the users.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Red12b said:

" @Linkyshinks said:

Well I have two European based female friends on this site, Shazam and Coffeesash, maybe they might be interested... Although, when I last asked the female members of this site who would be interested in such a role, those two didn't put themselves forward.  ValkyrieGoddess was interested though.. she applied informally with a PM to the moderating team. I recall the reply saying something along the lines of the team not looking for another moderator - despite her extensive experience in the role elsewhere, and the fact they had just lost a moderator. Go figure.

@Rallier said:

" If there would be another mod i would also prefer it to be a she in order to balance things out a bit. I do not think that another mod is all that needed though since the karma system is blocking trolls from trolling, the only problem are those who spam troll topics crying for it to be locked keeping the topic at the top of the forums. "

I Agree. For me it's an issue of a lack of visible balance which is very important, as well as the issue of a distinct lack of tact in dealing with certain members. There has never been any balance on GB, which is exactly why there are so very few female members here that visit. It makes perfect sense when they're all too aware of the sexist and sexually vulgar commentary directed at their gender. The ToS here is a load of crap, it makes no clear reference to sexist commentary which is frequently directed at women here... The fact of the matter is rthe frat-boy core of this site doesn't give a fuck anyway. This shit would simply never wash on another site which has a EO policy.

Gamespot in contrast have loads of female moderators and it shows instantly in how well male members interact with female members - there is no distinction at all made between the gamers, no sexism and certainly never any sexual comments you will find here on Giant Bomb frequently.  

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Red12b
@Linkyshinks:
Once again I agree mate, The gender equality here is rather dissapointing, It's not that there is a lack of respect for women, It seems more a total lack of respect,  
ValkyrieGoddess would be an exellent choice,  But it is more that at certain times there is nobody here to moderate.  

But, I would deff back ValkyrieGoddess.
Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess
@Hamz said:
I would like to see more forum Moderators. The amount of spam and double posted threads popping up is alarming. Also i would Happily submit my name to be a Mod for the forums.
Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#95  Edited By KowalskiManDown
@Pazy: You do realise that everyone in that thread is just joking around? It's just a bit of banter is all.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By Red12b
@creamypies:
Sure banter is good, But some of it was exscesive you realise it ae? 
It was a bit much.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Scooper
@creamypies said:
" @Pazy: You do realise that everyone in that thread is just joking around? It's just a bit of banter is all. "
I didn't enjoy scrolling for years on that ridiculas quote tree and spam posts. You may say "Well ignore them and don't read them", there's not feature at the moment to ignore a user or I would of but I'd like to actualy read the thread for actual comments without having to sift through 95% of them which are just junk.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Jeffsekai

I feel like everyone's complaints are because of one topic people are having fun with.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Bruce
@TheMustacheHero:  

There are a ton of mods, just not many of them seem to patrol the boards.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Karl_Boss
@kmdrkul said:
" We need to bring in some of the Gamespot mods.  They are jerks but at least they keep that forums' shit straight.  "
Turning this place into gamespot would be the last thing I would want.