Girlfriend is heading off to join the Peace Corp. How do I deal?

• 74 results
Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vrikk

First off, this isn't a "HOLY CRAP I'M SCREWED SHE'LL SLEEP WITH EVERY KENYAN SHE FINDS" type of emo insecure post. I trust her, yadda yadda. Let's get out of that mode right now. 

What I want to know is has anyone gone through something like this before? She'll be in Kenya for two years and it'll be a major change. I'm sure the first month she's gone I'll feel very awkward and somewhat out of place because I won't be able to call/text/see her. In the long run it'll probably be really fast since I'll try to keep myself entertained as much as possible, but... y'know, just looking for some help or advise. 

What's interesting is when she gets back from the PC I'll be completely different: I'll have every Master's Degree class done except for the capstone, I'll have both my A+ and Network+ certification, AND I'll be two full years into a work out regime (I'm planning on working out as much as possible when she is gone to better my body as well as surprise her). 

Thanks!

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By No0b0rAmA

2 Years?? Jesus christ.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

Dude, just find a new girl and move on...she's not gonna stay loyal.  Shit, if you were in her shoes you sure as hell wouldn't either. 

Just move on and find someone else. 

Hopefully an American with pink hair with 7 evil exes.  

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Vrikk

Alright, this topic is off to a great start!

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Malakhii

Join the army, she's saving the world and you're fucking it up. 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By wefwefasdf

Two  years? Damn.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Wrap yourself in bacon and email yourself to her, as a surprise.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By recroulette
 (I'm planning on working out as much as possible when she is gone to better my body as well as surprise her).

So why are you asking this question exactly? You seem like you know what you want to do.
Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vrikk

I'm just getting opinions on if someone has done this before. I'm not saying we will make it through the entire two years, and if not it's not the end of the world.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Synthballs
@RecSpec said:
"  (I'm planning on working out as much as possible when she is gone to better my body as well as surprise her).

So why are you asking this question exactly? You seem like you know what you want to do. "
This man. He knows whats doing on. 

Also, someone else said she won't stay faithful, I dunno she might but you guys are going to drift a part hella bad man. Maybe break it off before it can get any worse?
Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Long distance relationships rarely last, you are basically on a Break. Feel free to date other chicks nad if they don't work out after two years your "GF" now is like the safety girl to go back to. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@SpikeSpiegel said:
" Two  years? Damn. "
@No0b0rAmA said:
" 2 Years?? Jesus christ. "
But in all seriousness, 2 years is a long time but if you two are both sure of your relationship then I would say just try and speak to her through webcam as often as possible and keep yourself busy with some hobbies.
Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Vrikk
@Synthballs: Thought about it. We'll go down that road if we have to.
Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Oldirtybearon
@Vrikk: Dude, good fucking luck. 

Long Distance Relationships are a nightmare, and it takes a lot of mettle to get through them, it really does. You're going to hit a lot of points where you'll be tempted to cheat, or you'll be wondering at night why you're still bothering. You'll also hit a point where you wonder "hey, what's the harm?" but if you really do love her, you'll make it through somehow. 

That being said, if you do fuck around on the girl, give her the courtesy of telling her and not pretending like it didn't happen. If/when you do, that's going to be one hell of a sign to get out of that relationship.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KaosAngel

Touch her shoulder too...that might help. 

@PhaggyBigNastyMcKill said:

" Long distance relationships rarely last, you are basically on a Break. Feel free to date other chicks nad if they don't work out after two years your "GF" now is like the safety girl to go back to.  "
This. 

Move on.  You know it's not gonna work, so don't make an emo post a month or two down the line...because I'll just type "Told You So".
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@Bucketdeth:
I think the internets are in short supply in Kenya.  
Hobbies like stamp collecting? Or videogames.
RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RVonE
@Vrikk said:
"I'm just getting opinions on if someone has done this before. I'm not saying we will make it through the entire two years, and if not it's not the end of the world. "

So if you break up it's no biggie?
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Coombs

I'm going to come off as an ass,  

Your relationship is OVER. 
You are holding on to what could be, Not what is. 
Look back on the good times you had fondly, But move on. 
Otherwise you will just waste the next 2 years of your life waiting for what you expect to be amazing, And just like what you had before she left, 
It will not be the same.   
And odds are the relationship will deteriorate quickly upon her return anyway. 

So do yourself a favor and move on.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#19  Edited By wefwefasdf
@Vrikk: A quick question, how long have you two been together?
Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Vrikk
@KaosAngel: I never was, am, or will be emo about it. That's not how I am as a person. 

@RVonE: It's not like it'll be a "Alright, later!" type of thing if that happens, but I won't become a shut-in with severe depression if it happens. I love her, but sometimes stuff has to happen due to the situation, y'know? I'm a realist.
Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vrikk
@SpikeSpiegel: Three years.
marrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By marrec
@Vrikk said:
" First off, this isn't a "HOLY CRAP I'M SCREWED SHE'LL SLEEP WITH EVERY KENYAN SHE FINDS" type of emo insecure post. I trust her, yadda yadda. Let's get out of that mode right now.  What I want to know is has anyone gone through something like this before? She'll be in Kenya for two years and it'll be a major change. I'm sure the first month she's gone I'll feel very awkward and somewhat out of place because I won't be able to call/text/see her. In the long run it'll probably be really fast since I'll try to keep myself entertained as much as possible, but... y'know, just looking for some help or advise.  What's interesting is when she gets back from the PC I'll be completely different: I'll have every Master's Degree class done except for the capstone, I'll have both my A+ and Network+ certification, AND I'll be two full years into a work out regime (I'm planning on working out as much as possible when she is gone to better my body as well as surprise her).  Thanks! "
Don't change yourself just because you think absence makes the heart grow colder. From my experience, this kind of stuff doesn't work, but then... I've seen examples where it does.  I was away from the girl of my dreams for a year and couldn't take it... maybe the working out bit isn't a bad idea.
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@Vrikk:
Look on the bright side.
Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vrikk

I am looking on the bright side! Maybe everyone should re-read the original post where I said this isn't an emo post or anything :)

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RVonE
@Vrikk said:
" @KaosAngel: I never was, am, or will be emo about it. That's not how I am as a person. 

@RVonE: It's not like it'll be a "Alright, later!" type of thing if that happens, but I won't become a shut-in with severe depression if it happens. I love her, but sometimes stuff has to happen due to the situation, y'know? I'm a realist. "

Okay. But if you're a realist, why are you even thinking about sitting through two years of being alone?
recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By recroulette

Whatever you do. At least make sure that you are there for her in SOME WAY.
Whether it be a boyfriend or just a friend. Don't just up and leave her hanging.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@Vrikk:
I don't know broski! Sounds like a pretty depressing scenario. Your love goes of to help people in africa for 2 whole years and your not sure what to do. I think you shouldn't hold your breath. I say  you consult with your girlfriend rather than with people on a forum.
Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

LOL man you guys are harsh on the man. Kudos to you OP on your maturity, realistic vision, and for being in a relationship for 3 years. Very impressive. My opinion is that it will not work. 2 years is extremely long time to be away from someone you love. Especially if you can't talk to her everyday. Will she have internet? Will she come back on holidays? If you answered yes than you guys should stick together. 

I think it can be done (staying together) but again 2 years is a long time and a lot will happen. Another question is, how old are you? You seem old enough to know whats best, also you are getting a masters. So basically, I wish you luck, if you guys truly love each other, you don't have to sweat a thing. It will be a very tough road but you can make it. But if you/she are not fully committed to the relationship, then you should end it now. Best of luck.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By mrfizzy
@Vrikk: keep yourself busy and stay in touch with her as much as possible is all you can really do i guess. but like 2 years is a hell of a long time to keep a relationship going for when your not seeing each other. Im not saying you cant do it but probs at least prepare yourself for the fact that it may not work out. Your idea to focus on study and working out sounds excellent. 
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By artofwar420

Sorry to hear that chocobro, but that's life. I wouldn't wait 2 years for anyone, unless you know you truly love her... but what is love? Baby don't hurt me? No more?
Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vrikk
@artofwar420: If I could sway my head like Roxbury I would right now.
angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By angelkanarias

Options:  
a) End the relationship .
b) Jerk-off as a daily basis. 

those are your options. I hope you love her big time.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BraveToaster

She signed up knowing that she would be away from you for 2 years, so she obviously doesn't mind living life without you. Your relationship is pretty much over. 

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lemon360

She'll come back with 50 adopted Kenyan children and expect you to support all of them and get university-level educations for all of them :)

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Vrikk

Man you all are a huge bunch of buzzkills. Maybe the topic title should have been "tell me other life experiences you have had that are along this, or if you've been in the PC let me know how it was"!

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By KaosAngel
@lemon360 said:
" She'll come back with 50 adopted Kenyan children and expect you to support all of them and get university-level educations for all of them :) "
...a few of them might not even be adopted, if you catch my drift.   

Seriously, she picked to stay away from you for 2 years...be an adult about this. 

Time to "gg" out.
KinjiroSSD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By KinjiroSSD

I've had a long distance relationship a long time ago before I was married. Basically, you're doomed. Don't wait for her because she certainly won't.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FunExplosions
mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mesklinite

Lube and your hand. Rinse and repeat.
sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sgjackson

Fuck bitches till she comes back, then see what she says. That way you feel less stupid when/if she's not feeling it.

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Interfect

Listen to a lot of Anamanaguchi, Slit your wrists. And play Fallout 3 in third person view solely for the shooting mechanic...

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By sagesebas
@Vrikk: The likelihood that by the end of the two years you guys will still be together is very small, don't get your hopes up.
Avatar image for thekingoftoilets
thekingoftoilets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By thekingoftoilets

Lots of masterbation?

Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Break it off now.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45  Edited By crusader8463

Make as many phone calls, emails and any other form of communication you get a chance to do as often as you can- within reason of course. Still though, two years is a long time to be a part from one another and when you do meet up you may find that you have both gone different directions in life and may not have the same feelings for each other anymore. That said, no one can tell if you will be able to stay together or not but the two of you because we don't know how strong of a feelings you have for one another.

It will be hard, stressful and there will be a lot of tears, but if you find your way through it and come out on the other side together I think you will have a stronger relationship for it. In the mean time, I recommend buying one of these to keep you occupied until her return.

LlamaLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By LlamaLlama

Having never been in a relationship, I don't have much advice. Not wanting to be a downer like most people, best of luck, but I do have one question on how things are went down. Did she include you in her decision of joining Peace Corps or did she simply make the entire decision herself? If she didn't include you in the decision making, then she probably didn't think or even consider you in her future, the result probably ending in the demise of the relationship.
Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By Alexander

No Caption Provided
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By trophyhunter

it's over 
Your whole life could be different in 2 years. 
You could be dead in 2 years.
You could meet someone you like more in 2 years.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By LiquidS
@Alexander:
That is great! 

Also, as other people are saying: 
It's over, break up now.
RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#50  Edited By RJay_64

I must say that it's over as well.

You really think she's going to hold off her sexual urges for 2 years?  She's human, not a robot.