• 58 results
chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By chan05

I wonder if there are any space movies i missed. I really would like to see a good one again. im looking for movies like for example Moon, Solaris, Event Horizon or Sunshine....movies with a little horror or mystery who generally have a more serious tone (so no sci-fi operas like star wars). Any proposals?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

hmm.. its hard to think of one cuz when i think of anything space-related, its always shitty stuff. aside from Star Wars, space movies about mars or some shit are fucking dull, and aside from Mass Effect, video games taking place in space are pretty generic and lame.. the only thing saving Dead Space from being crappy is the fact that the game as a game is brilliant and extremely polished.. it's story and premise are pretty typical and boring. 

so no i got nothing really.. 

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Griddler

Moon and Sunshine are the first two that came to mind, the only other recent space film I liked was Star Trek.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By animateria

Alien. (The first Alien movie)       It creates a pretty awesome space atmosphere. Of course it also has pretty awesome horror elements in there as well.

gravisfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By gravisfury

Alien is definitely an awesome space movie, one of Ridley Scott's best.  Another space ish movie that is kind of darker would be pitch black.  Another that might be decent, though I haven't watched it yet, is pandorum.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By McGhee

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By GunstarRed

Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Burzmali

I thought Pandorum was pretty decent. Ghosts of Mars was terrible, but still kind of entertaining. Lost in Space was also terrible but entertaining. That's all I got.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By zombie2011
@chan05: Pandorum is a really good space horror movie, it also came out recently.
chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By chan05

Except 2001 i actually already saw all of these movies....and yes Pandorum, Pitch Black and Alien are exactly the kind of movies i meant.

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By DelroyLindo

Moon

wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By wickedsc3

serenity

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NTM

Alien and Aliens. It's not really that scary, but still. The atmosphere of the Nostromo and LV-426 are awesome. Though... if you haven't seen those and you like sci-fi. You're crazy. To me, it's all about the realistic sci-fi. Where there's plausible acting and a future that could be. Kind of like Dead Space. Just, ok, if you haven't seen Alien and Aliens, you're missing out. There's more than that that I can recommend, but those are the films most relevant to me right now. I wish Mass Effect had an even darker tone to all of it. You seem to be in the same boat as me when it comes to interest in sci-fi. 

Oh, and Dead Space's story is more subtle and overall better than Mass Effect's... *walks away*.
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By buzz_clik
@girdz said:

" Moon and Sunshine are the first two that came to mind, the only other recent space film I liked was Star Trek. "

This would have been my answer - they're awesome companion pieces. Also, I wanna mention Solaris, if only for the amazing soundtrack.

On the older side of things (and kinda related to Moon) you might want to check out Silent Running. Also, John Carpenter's first movie, Dark Star, is a neat lil curio, and it also gave rise to an ace Commodore 64 demo thing back in the day.
chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chan05
@buzz_clik: Thx actually havent watched Silent Running and Dark Star yet..will be the next two on my list now
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By buzz_clik
@chan05: Just be aware that Dark Star is kinda weird/goofy, and made on a very small budget. But it's got some cool ideas, and it's also worth noting that the dude who co-wrote the screenplay with Carpenter took elements of the film and injected more horror to make the screenplay for Alien.
sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#17  Edited By sammo21
@chan05:   Sunshine, Gattaca, Serenity, The Fifth Element, Moon, Alien trilogy, Pitch Black, Chronicles of Riddick (I enjoy this for what it is, but its no Pitch Black), Star Trek, Total Recall, and more. 
Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Grissefar

2001 - saw the first 30 minutes, really liked it.

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By chan05
@sammo21: Ok Total Recall looks cool..havent watched that yet. Many people seem to like Serenity but when i watched it didn't really get me excited..dont know why. Any special Star Trek movies / episodes you can recommend? I watched The Wrath of Khan since its supposed to be good..and it really is. And also some of the other movies but can't remember all of them.
Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

Starship Troopers, not that awesome but still entertaining. Also am i the only one who liked Wing Commander?

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By animateria
@chan05 said:
" @sammo21: Ok Total Recall looks cool..havent watched that yet. Many people seem to like Serenity but when i watched it didn't really get me excited..dont know why. Any special Star Trek movies / episodes you can recommend? I watched The Wrath of Khan since its supposed to be good..and it really is. And also some of the other movies but can't remember all of them. "
Serenity isn't all that if you didn't watch Firefly honestly.
spudtastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By spudtastic

The Astronaut's Wife - Charlize Theron

Avatar image for chickengeorgewashington
chickengeorgewashington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chan05: Silent Running. 
Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gizmo

Dark Star, Moon, Event Horizon, Sunshine.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By animateria

Oh yeah, Magnetic Rose (A short from the compilation, Memories). 

Is a pretty haunting space film, even if it's pretty short.
Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason X..... HAha No 
I have nothing besides Event Horizon and the obvious Star Wars. 

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#27  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Solaris (the original, 1972 version.)

bibledoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By bibledoctor

Event Horizon.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@chan05 said:
" @sammo21: Ok Total Recall looks cool..havent watched that yet. Many people seem to like Serenity but when i watched it didn't really get me excited..dont know why. Any special Star Trek movies / episodes you can recommend? I watched The Wrath of Khan since its supposed to be good..and it really is. And also some of the other movies but can't remember all of them. "
Star Trek III and IV are both direct continuations to the Wrath of Khan.  3 is a little disappointing, especially compared to Khan but worth watching for the story.  IV is a little more goofy but a lot of fun. 
I'd also highly recommend VI which is easily the second best of the Trek movies.
dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dtat
@NTM said:
" Alien and Aliens. It's not really that scary, but still. The atmosphere of the Nostromo and LV-426 are awesome. Though... if you haven't seen those and you like sci-fi. You're crazy. To me, it's all about the realistic sci-fi. Where there's plausible acting and a future that could be. Kind of like Dead Space. Just, ok, if you haven't seen Alien and Aliens, you're missing out. There's more than that that I can recommend, but those are the films most relevant to me right now. I wish Mass Effect had an even darker tone to all of it. You seem to be in the same boat as me when it comes to interest in sci-fi.  Oh, and Dead Space's story is more subtle and overall better than Mass Effect's... *walks away*. "
*starts to argue then realizes you walked away because you have no interest in arguing the point*
sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sammo21
@Verb4tim: Yes you are, lol.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By Xeiphyer

Armageddon is a good movie, less spacey more actiony though.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sammo21
@chan05:  Have you seen Firefly yet?  If you watch all of Firefly first and then watch Serenity, then you will maybe like it more as that movie kind of plays on themes setup in the show.  I think the latest "reboot" is a great place to start.  Wrath of Khan and First Contact are both good...Nemesis is probably the second best generations movie, but they are all kind of meh in my opinion.  I love the original Star Wars movies as well, but I loathe the prequels.  

For real space movies Apollo 13 and The Right Stuff are good...I can't remember if Space Cowboys was good or not.  Outland is a fun movie, with Sean Connery.  Starship Troopers is good in a hockey way, WALL-E is good,  Silent Running is good, Event Horizon starts out amazing but the movie as a whole kind of underwhelms...still a decent flick. 
joshleedotcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By joshleedotcom

Outland. Sean Connery is a space sheriff and it's on Netflix streaming.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Gabriel

Event Horizon is my favorite in space horror, Pandorum's not bad.

sealog444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sealog444

I liked wing commander for what it was, a bad movie that was entertaining, and pretty cool space battles
Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Helushune
@joshleedotcom: Outland is b-movie material.  Not to say it's not fun to watch but it's not particularly good either. 

Someone may have mentioned it earlier, but Moon is fantastic.
Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#38  Edited By Vinchenzo

Can we say Gattaca? It doesn't take place in space, but that's his dream. :D It's a good movie anyway, so go watch it!

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By Getz

2001 A Space Odyssey, dood.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pinworm45

You guys really aren't getting what he's asking for. 

Anyway, I recommend Gattaca. October Sky is pretty decent to although that doesn't take place in space, but rather some of the events that lead us there. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By iam3green

spacejam, the movie with like aliens and Michael Jordan. aliens take over so michael have to play basketball with looney toons characters.

chan05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By chan05
@sammo21: No i havent...does firefly really have 9.4 on IMDB??? I will have to take a look at it then!
eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By eric_buck

Starwars

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Jason X. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By sammo21
@joshleedotcom:   Outland is great
sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sammo21
@chan05:   Despite what a few people here on the board say, Firefly really is an amazing show.  Once you finish it you will wonder why on earth it got canned like it did, but hey that's FOX (and sci  fi).  If you fine with shows, Farscape is my favorite Sci-Fi/space TV show.  Highly recommend it and the Peacekeeper Wars mini-series which caps off the series.  SyFy Channel has a horrible habit of canceling good shows for no reason too.  Battlestar Galactica (remake) is great as is Stargate Universe.
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#47  Edited By monkeyking1969

I'm going old-skool on you, but you MUST see Silent Running (1972).  That is one of the best space movies ever made...think of it as a 1970s Moon.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ArchScabby
@animateria said:
" Alien. (The first Alien movie)       It creates a pretty awesome space atmosphere. Of course it also has pretty awesome horror elements in there as well. "
A movie called Alien taking place in space?  I call bullshit you fucking liar!
iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By iWonder
@ArchScabby said:
" @animateria said:
" Alien. (The first Alien movie)       It creates a pretty awesome space atmosphere. Of course it also has pretty awesome horror elements in there as well. "
A movie called Alien taking place in space?  I call bullshit you fucking liar! "
You're right. the "alien" is actually a tiny man in a robot suit. There is no alien in the movie alien, nor does it take place in space. /troll 

On topic, I think everyone's hit all the major ones. Firefly is awesome.
WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By WickedFather

If you want to go classic then This Island Earth or Forbidden Planet are worth seeing.  Outland is a remake of High Noon in space and it's crap.  Silent Running - also crap.  If you want something a bit different then watch the David Lynch version of Dune.