• 73 results
RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RE_Player1

So I was at Best Buy picking up a second PS3 because my fat one is on it's way out and as I was buying it the cashier flat out lied to me. He said Sony only offers a 3 month warranty that only covers disc read errors so I should buy a geek squad plan but I knew that they offer a 1 year warranty from purchase date. I called him on it, he disagreed, I told him to just ring it up so I could get out of there. Has a salesperson ever told you such an obvious lie it got you a little mad?

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By CL60

That wasn't necessarily a lie. Could've just been uninformed. But Geek Squad shit is a rip off.

Helushune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Helushune

Go in to Fry's some time and talk to most of the sales people there.  A few know their stuff but most just pull it out of their bum most of the time.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By zeforgotten

Sure they have, never worked on me though. 

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By BrittonPeele

I can't recall any times that a salesperson has flat out lied to me, but I know there's been at least a couple occasions when they've obviously been misinformed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yes. Last night at Best Buy, in fact.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Of course. Salespeople are dishonest by nature. They're terrible people. 

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GunnBjorn

Well, not really lied; lets just say they exaggerate the pruduct'(s') qualities in order to win you over to purchase it. To Sell stuff  is a profession, guys. Good sales(wo)men have at least a BA in Sales and/or Marketing Management.
cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By cornbredx

Yes. Sales personnel lie regularly as it's easier to sell something if you lie about it (especially when you're in your early 20s and couldnt be bothered to know very much about the product but want to make that commission).

It doesn't bother me much, although I have gotten to the point where I flat out tell them to not bother selling to me and just get what I want and ring it up from the beginning.

I think a bigger problem is that he argued with you about it. If you get caught in a sales lie it's better to just drop it- otherwise you look more the fool. I can understand that they HAVE to try to sell you something, it's required in their job, but then trying to tell you you're wrong is not the best idea. You're not gonna get a sale that way.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Eidderf

When I was trading in my original xbox to get a 360 I accidently left the Halo 2 disc inside it, they said that the new xbox comes with both the halo games already on it so I might as well trade that in also (keep in mind this was around the launc of the 360) I don't think they were intentionally lying really, just that they'll were pretty clueless.

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By belaraphon

miss leading a buyer is something that should be avoided. being in sales myself i want the client to understand the benefits of the product before they buy it.  i have often told potential customers the limitations of the product (i sell websites).  there is nothing wrong with being honest. this might be something that retail electronic stores do not emphasize with their staff.  the sale does not end when money has exchanged hands, it ends when the customer is satisfied with their purchase.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By gingertastic_10

I had a guy at Gamestop tried to tell me that Scott Pilgrim was based on a TV show, then made into a comic, then a movie/game. I just nodded and walked away. 

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By one_2nd
@ZeForgotten said:
" Sure they have, never worked on me though.  "
that's what you think.. 

also, I've heard that in the tv department they apply the incorrect settings to the cheaper tvs, so that the more expensive ones are more appealing. 
Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Malakhii

I was once told at At&T that my cell phone was broken and I should buy a new one to replace it. It was just out of batteries, and I was trying to get a charger., the guy took it behind the desk "plugged it in" then brought it back and said it was broken. 

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By emem
@belaraphon said:
" miss leading a buyer is something that should be avoided. being in sales myself i want the client to understand the benefits of the product before they buy it.  i have often told potential customers the limitations of the product (i sell websites).  there is nothing wrong with being honest. this might be something that retail electronic stores do not emphasize with their staff.  the sale does not end when money has exchanged hands, it ends when the customer is satisfied with their purchase. "
That's the way it should be, but a lot of people only care about the money they make and selling something more expensive or something that no one wants to buy.. happens a lot.
Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Slaker117

I believe that the question should be restated as "Has a salespersons ever talked to you?".

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LiquidPrince

I went in to buy a 360 slim at EB Games and the dude flat out told me that I shouldn'y buy one because it'll red ring, but since it it physically doesn't have rings on the console Microsoft wouldn't fix it. Then he told me to buy a PS3. I told him I already had two, one from launch and one slim and he said in all seriousness, "buy another one!" My friend then spazzed at him and was like "you're a fucking retard! Why in the hell would he need three PS3's in the same room." We then continued to exit  and go and buy one at Futureshop at a discounted price.

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lab392

I was in a drive through line at Sonic when a dude came up, knocked on my car door and was like, "Hey, bruh. You want dis watch? It usually sell for $99.99, but I'll cut you a special deal for $20. Deal, bruh? Don't this watch look smooth? You gon' get all the gurls wid it." BUT THE WATCH WASN'T TICKING!!!

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tooPrime
@emem said:
" @belaraphon said:
" miss leading a buyer is something that should be avoided. being in sales myself i want the client to understand the benefits of the product before they buy it.  i have often told potential customers the limitations of the product (i sell websites).  there is nothing wrong with being honest. this might be something that retail electronic stores do not emphasize with their staff.  the sale does not end when money has exchanged hands, it ends when the customer is satisfied with their purchase. "
That's the way it should be, but a lot of people only care about the money they make and selling something more expensive or something that no one wants to buy.. happens a lot. "
Ideally one would not want to do that because then the customer will be pissed off and return the product, or never buy from you again, and not give an the salesperson any referrals.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#20  Edited By wefwefasdf

I remember when my dad was picking out a new TV they tried to convince him that different HDMI cables were better for different things. Yeah, that $80 Monster cable is going to look so much better...

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By I_smell

I was a sales person once n I lied to eeeeeeeeeveryone.
  @Lab392 said:

" I was in a drive through line at Sonic when a dude came up, knocked on my car door and was like, "Hey, bruh. You want dis watch? It usually sell for $99.99, but I'll cut you a special deal for $20. Deal, bruh? Don't this watch look smooth? You gon' get all the gurls wid it." BUT THE WATCH WASN'T TICKING!!! "

This is a great story.
Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Ben99

sure all the time they would lie to you . I mean it's tempting to get some extra cash for just saying words . It's sickening to think this could be considered as professionalism while it's in fact a deception . 

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By HS21

Has water ever made you wet?

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By McGhee

If you've ever bought a car, then a salesman has lied to you.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Animasta
@Lab392 said:
" I was in a drive through line at Sonic when a dude came up, knocked on my car door and was like, "Hey, bruh. You want dis watch? It usually sell for $99.99, but I'll cut you a special deal for $20. Deal, bruh? Don't this watch look smooth? You gon' get all the gurls wid it." BUT THE WATCH WASN'T TICKING!!! "
he wasn't lying though, the watch can look smooth and get all the gurls wid it if it doesn't work.
Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Azteck

I always make sure to know every piece of information I can about the stuff I buy, above a certain price. Especially technology. But the person who sold me my laptop that I got back when I was 14 really made it sound better than it is. So unimpressed.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Fallen189

I had a guy tell me the 360 was good. 

birchman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By birchman

Yep, an employee in a video game store told me that Assassin's Creed was one of the best games ever.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BaneFireLord

No, I don't think so.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Quite a few times, yes 
nkornek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By nkornek

A guy at EB told my mom that The Force Unleashed 2 had multiplayer so she would buy a 2 copies for me and my brother for Christmas

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By amir90

What kind of country do you live in?
In Norway, all the electronics have  a 5 year warranty, as long as you didn't break it yourself.
There I only got :I out of this topic.

But yeah, kinda sounds like they lied to you.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Rattle618

It´s their job to lie, you should have asked for a different salesperson or even better, left that store so that the asshole wouldn´t get the commission, that´s what I do when I get shit from salesmen :)

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By fripplebubby

Just about HDMI cables, but that's probably more about misinformation than actual lying. 

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Slaker117
@amir90:  Wait really? Five year warranty on all electronics? In the US when my 360 broke after a year and ten days from purchase, but only about 4 months since it was returned after dying I had to pay to get it fixed.
Zealousadonis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#37  Edited By Zealousadonis

I once asked a guy at gamestop about my preorder bonus when I picked up the game and he told me it was in the case, but it wasn't :(

I had to play inFAMOUS without the gigawatt blades

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I was a salesperson for a couple of days once. The boss's wife received a call and forgot to take a message, the next day I was blamed and fired for not taking the message I never heard. I didn't lie, but they all did. The first day I had to go with this boss to the shopping centre to pickup some stuff, he bought an icecream and walked around licking it. We then drove back to the shop with him still licking his icecream while using the other hand to steer. Fat ----.  
EDIT: I lied to nobody, and was going to quit anyway, not that it doesn't hurt your feelings when you get fired for what someone else has done.

@LiquidPrince: When I was a kid, dad and I went and bought an Xbox from EB. They had some smug dick working their that flat-out ridiculed my dad, I can't remember why. We bought the Xbox anyway because I desperately wanted one. When we got back we contacted EB games management and told them about it, the guy was immediately fired, he was a smug dick to everyone. Afterwards we found out that other people we know had the same problems with the guy. That smug guy would have had his ass kicked if I wasn't there, and I'm not talking smack either, he really would be dislocated.

magellan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By magellan

Speaking of customer service, I had a strange encounter the other day:  

I walked into a fast food place and ordered a meal.The guy then asked me if I wanted to add anything else to my order like dessert. When I said no, he said something to the effect of  "Is it because you don't have a girlfriend" or "will you order dessert when you get a girlfriend". I thought he was kidding, it seemed to me like a bizarre way of convincing me to  add something to my order, but then he asked me again with the same serious tone.  I paused, then I tried to sidestep his remark by saying I'm not in the mood for dessert. Then, he proceeded to talk about all the "sexy" girls outside the store. Meanwhile, this was in the middle of winter, with everyone covered in layers of clothing. He asked me other bizarre questions before I politely picked up my order, paid and walked away. Sufficed to say, I haven't gone back since, and I don't think I'll ever be going back.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By beej
@_Horde said:
" Yep, an employee in a video game store told me that Assassin's Creed was one of the best games ever. "
Same, and then she talked mad smack about deadly premonition. 
Avatar image for delicious_brains
Delicious_Brains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Delicious_Brains
@magellan said:
" Speaking of customer service, I had a strange encounter the other day:  I walked into a fast food place and ordered a meal.The guy then asked me if I wanted to add anything else to my order like dessert. When I said no, he said something to the effect of  "Is it because you don't have a girlfriend" or "will you order dessert when you get a girlfriend". I thought he was kidding, it seemed to me like a bizarre way of convincing me to  add something to my order, but then he asked me again with the same serious tone.  I paused, then I tried to sidestep his remark by saying I'm not in the mood for dessert. Then, he proceeded to talk about all the "sexy" girls outside the store. Meanwhile, this was in the middle of winter, with everyone covered in layers of clothing. He asked me other bizarre questions before I politely picked up my order, paid and walked away. Sufficed to say, I haven't gone back since, and I don't think I'll ever be going back. "
That is weird, maybe he was a part-time pimp?
emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By emem
@tooPrime said:
" @emem said:
" @belaraphon said:
That's the way it should be, but a lot of people only care about the money they make and selling something more expensive or something that no one wants to buy.. happens a lot. "
Ideally one would not want to do that because then the customer will be pissed off and return the product, or never buy from you again, and not give an the salesperson any referrals. "
Well, that won't be the case with a customer who completely relies on what the "seller" tells him/her. There are many older (more than younger) people who don't know anything about new tvs or computers and a lot of salesmen do in fact exploit that. It's not nice, but it happens every day.
CptPanda29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CptPanda29

I'm a part time sales person working with sat nav, which is fairly easy to know everything about what you're selling. I've gotten things wrong before when I was starting, but it never came back to haunt me. 

When someone is telling you something wrong about a product, they'll be misinformed. If it's a service, they'll lie to your face to sell it.  
It'll be a ridiculous target some manager gave them to sell a thing everyone knows they don't need.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Never been lied to, they catch on fairly fast over by my place whether or not you're knowledgable about games and stuff. 

I did however get to explain a lot of bullshit when working in the support for a fairly large ISP of my country. Fuck, the shit the salesmen told the customers at times.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By valrog

No.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By benpicko

Yeh, I'd just moved to Canada and I brought in some games from England that I knew would work in Canada, the guy said if they'd work then he'd take them. So he tested them, and when they did work, he said he expected them not to, and that I couldn't trade them in.

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Tally_Pants

Yes. End of Forum

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#48  Edited By damnboyadvance

Seeing as I don't go to salespeople for information, I can't say one has. Although I'm sure I've heard some exaggerate about how good a certain game is, which is their job anyways.

Can't blame them for doing their job. Just blame the people that fall for it.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I stock shelves at a grocery store and I send people on wild goose chases pretty regularly when they ask me where obscure shit is.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#50  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm pretty sure I have been lied too by a salesperson before, although I can't remember an exact instance of it happening.