Have you ever fired a real gun before in real life?

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#151  Edited By Getz

@Canteu said:

I'm English and not a hick or a member of the so called "upper class".

So no, and nor do I have any intention to. Guns are fucking retarded.

I live in the middle of nowhere, Arizona and if I didn't have my lever action Winchester I would probably be dead from a rattlesnake bite or mauled by a coyote. Your narrow view of guns is retarded.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By Dezztroy
@Canteu said:

@habster3: Hey, I do actually realise that! That doesn't change the object's purpose. Guns are still retarded. No amount of condescension will change that.

I guess you're against space exploration then? Seeing as rockets were only used in warfare at first.
Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By Canteu

@Getz: Great, I'm glad you're not dead. But if it comes down to you being alive, or millions of other people being alive, I'm pretty sure I know which one I would choose.

Guns are still retarded.

Use a spear or a bow or something.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By tunaburn

@Canteu: maybe when you said something is 'retarded" because you dont like it?

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Canteu

@Dezztroy: I'm pretty sure rockets were initially used for celebratory purposes, and then turned to war.

Guns destroy, there is simply no other application for them.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#156  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

Spent 10 years in the Marine Corps, fired numerous weapons.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Canteu

@tunaburn: oh you be quiet, you had your chance and you lost.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Dezztroy
@Canteu said:

@Dezztroy: I'm pretty sure rockets were initially used for celebratory purposes, and then turned to war.

Guns destroy, there is simply no other application for them.

They were used for war and in celebrations at the same time. Noone knows which came first. Probably war, because they were made by humans after all.

Or just look at nuclear power. What was it first intended for? Bombs. Now it's what makes modern society possible.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#159  Edited By BeachThunder

I honestly did not expect these results; I figured most people would be in the "No" category.

Anyway, I've never fired a gun, but I'm somewhat tempted now to go to a firing range at some point.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Canteu

@tunaburn: I didn't know rattlesnakes or coyotes broke into houses and threatened families. America is fucking cray cray.

And sure, I think something is dumb because I dislike it, and not because it is an extremely bad idea.

Avatar image for zomgfruitbunnies
Zomgfruitbunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first and last time I fired a gun was when I was six. I think it was a revolver. Family vacation.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#162  Edited By Danteveli

Yes I have. And people who think guns are retarded are retarded. Why? Because I said so.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#163  Edited By DukesT3

Nah, and I live in Texas. Guns are way too fucking expensive for me to just keep around for a hobby.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#164  Edited By Video_Game_King
Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By captain_clayman

Nope but I probably will eventually. target shooting sounds kinda fun to be honest. I'm just kinda curious to see what it's like to actually operate a gun, since the only way I have understood guns is abstracted through video games.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Elwoodan

Fired a few different rifles with friends/family. but I'm currently looking into buying and becoming proficient with a handgun, not a huge fan but so long as guns are so prevalent here in the states I just feel better knowing, should it come down to it, I am on an even footing with the 'badguys'.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#167  Edited By reisz

@Canteu said:

I'm English and not a hick or a member of the so called "upper class".

So no, and nor do I have any intention to. Guns are fucking retarded.

I grew up in Australia and have shot rifles. That said, if more people felt like this guy, we'd likely live in a much better world.

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#168  Edited By Vanek

Nope, never held one or even seen one. I think here in Scotland we have the highest rate of knife crime in the EU if I'm not mistaken.

I honestly think if someone ever showed me a gun I'd be terrified, and to a lesser degree if someone showed me a big ass knife while in a pub. The legal system is, or at least was, far too lenient on people carrying and using knifes. I often wonder how it deals with people carrying guns but ultimately the crime rate here is something we could reduce if more prisons were build and jail time was increased for knife related incidents. We need to get our act together basically.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By super_machine

@Vanek said:

Nope, never held one or even seen one. I think here in Scotland we have the highest rate of knife crime in the EU if I'm not mistaken.

I honestly think if someone ever showed me a gun I'd be terrified, and to a lesser degree if someone showed me a big ass knife while in a pub. The legal system is, or at least was, far too lenient on people carrying and using knifes. I often wonder how it deals with people carrying guns but ultimately the crime rate here is something we could reduce if more prisons were build and jail time was increased for knife related incidents. We need to get our act together basically.

Where I live, you can open carry a sidearm in most public areas. No one ever does it, but I would also be pretty shocked if I saw it.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#170  Edited By Hector

Yes, I'm in the military. Outside of that I stay away from weapons, lol.

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By pekoe212

A couple times as a kid when my dad gave us some target practice on the family ranch. I learned I have good aim but guns scare the shit out of me. Some of that's probably due to my dad drilling into me as I loaded the gun all the potential moments I could shoot myself in the foot if I wasn't careful. I remember staring at the ground, trying to reload and feeling so much fear I would accidentally pull the trigger (I was like 10). I've never had the desire for further practice, learning how to hunt, etc. If I'd grown up on the ranch I probably would have had to learn for, you know, predator emergencies, but it's really just not in my nature. I hate killing and get very nervous operating powerful tools, whether a gun or a power saw.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By mordukai

Is this a trick question because I would love to know if there's another way to shoot a real gun and not be in real life.

Anyways, Yes. My dad's .45 Desert Eagle, his 1911 Sig Sauer, a M1911 given to him by an american vietnam vet who was training him, and a AK-47 he...ummmm..."liberated" from a syrian soldier in 73.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By stonyman65

@Canteu said:

@tunaburn: I didn't know rattlesnakes or coyotes broke into houses and threatened families. America is fucking cray cray.

And sure, I think something is dumb because I dislike it, and not because it is an extremely bad idea.

You obviously have never lived in the South West. That kind of shit happens ALL THE TIME. Not literally "broke in", but having one around your property or too damn close to you isn't uncommon.

Hell, just living in Florida (south east, in a big city), I see snakes, rats, wild boars and shit all the time. Just last week my neighbor had to kill a snake in his backyard that was poisonous.

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By Niceanims

Fired .22 (or was it 8mm?) rifles at targets in the boy scouts during about 5 consecutive summers. They were VERY serious about teaching proper gun operation, handling, safety, cleaning, etc.

It was fun, but I definitely came out of it with deep respect for the power behind guns, and that handling that power isn't something to take lightly.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By stonyman65

@Itwongo said:

Fired .22 (or was it 8mm?) rifles at targets in the boy scouts during about 5 consecutive summers. They were VERY serious about teaching proper gun operation, handling, safety, cleaning, etc.

It was fun, but I definitely came out of it with deep respect for the power behind guns, and that handling that power isn't something to take lightly.

.22 most definitely. 8mm is pretty hard to get these days. Hasn't really been produced since World War II besides surplus ammo.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#176  Edited By musclerider

@Roland_D11 said:

Yes, I fired 10 shots with a rifle when I was forced into the army in Germany (thankfully they don't do that anymore). And I am happy I never have to do it ever again.

The German Army doesn't require people to shoot guns anymore?

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

Yes, few hundred rounds with assault riffle RK 62.

I only ever got to fire the RK 95 and a handful of KES 88 rounds.

@Canteu said:

Again please read what i type, "Shoot and smoke all you like".

Saying that doesn't mean anything when in the next sentence you're saying that those things shouldn't exist and everyone who uses them is dumb.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#177  Edited By BrittonPeele

Yes. I'm Texan, so that may not much of a surprise. I'm definitely not a hunter, though (and have no intention of becoming one), but I've participated in a couple of skeet shoots, which were fun. I have no intention of owning a gun myself (especially something like a rifle or even a handgun), but I'm glad I've shot a few to know what the experience is like..

fiberpay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By fiberpay

I live in Michigan, so yes I've shot quite a few guns. 9mm's, Shotguns, Rifles, ect.. I find it boring. I even own a shotgun but haven't shot it in years.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Efesell

I live in Missouri, so yeah. On occasion.

Not really my thing, though.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By SaFt

I have not. It would be interesting to try it sometime though. Just to see how it actually feels.

kojip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By kojip

I fully understand if you have shot one and decided it was boring. I can even try to understand shooting one and not liking it (harder for me, because I own several and enjoy the life experiences I go out and have with my family plinking and competition shooting). However, if you've never shot one, I personally don't feel you have much to add to the debate because you are speaking from a position of fear or ignorance or both. And it is people who have never handled one and talk down about them that scare me the most because they are the most likely to have accidents and/or give up that experience for the rest of us. Do guns kill people? Yes. Do cars kill people? Yes. Do cars serve a purpose other than killing or maiming? Yes. Do they do so anyways? Yes. Do guns serve a purpose other than killing? Yes.

If you haven't shot one I don't think you really have a place in the debate other than to say "Hey, I should at least familiarize myself with what I'm so readily and willing to attack or am otherwise completely ignorant of." If Scandinavian members want to tell me "you should get your guns under control" I'll listen but I rarely hear that argument from countries where joining the military is mandatory.

To answer the question, yes, and I enjoy it as a hobby. I'm not a hunter or a 'gun nut', just somebody who enjoys the rights provided to me and don't think anybody has the right to take them away even if it comes at the sacrifice of an unlucky few. Once you take rights away they're nearly impossible to give back (something your average Brit in an ultra-protectionist society wouldn't understand; I love you guys but christ, your gov is almost as fucked up as ours). Face it, we all only get one go at this life and nobody gets out alive.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Clonedzero

yup, fired a bunch of rifles and shotguns. its pretty fun. i was pretty good at it too, though i havent been in years since i dont own any myself.

if i had the spare money i'd get a gun and go to the range. seems like a fun hobby i'd totally be interested in checking out.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#183  Edited By NMC2008

Nope.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Aetheldod

Yes I have ... a handgun and beleive you me its hard to hit anything with those . Also an assortment of air rifles and guns , but those dont count as fire arms do they?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in Wisconsin so I probably have, but I don't really remember.

I'm not big on guns (totally for the assault weapons ban) but I do think revolver pistols are sexy as fuck.

yippykayay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By yippykayay

Yes. A desert eagle.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Dezztroy

@kojip said:

If Scandinavian members want to tell me "you should get your guns under control" I'll listen but I rarely hear that argument from countries where joining the military is mandatory.

Joining the military isn't mandatory here in Sweden.

I agree with the rest of your post though. Guns are an enjoyable hobby.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Coombs

I'm Canadian and yes, I have fired several rifles and shotguns but no pistols.

I am currently waiting for the next Firearms safety course in my area so that I can get my PAL (possession & acquisition license)

If you have never fired one, I would highly suggest you do, Even if it's only so you can say "gunz is bad" and not be a completely ignorant douche about it.

Edit: Since it doesn't seem to have been pointed out yet, Wild game is far healthier for you and unlike store bought meat the animals do not suffer their whole lives before being slaughtered for your dinner. Also moose is the best tasting meat you will ever have.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By laserbolts

I shot a rabbit in the face before. He didn't suffer.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A couple of handguns and a hunting rifle, yes.

It's enjoyable enough, I still think that they should be locked away and only kept in firing ranges.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#191  Edited By triple07

Yep, fired a rifle and a shotgun. Never at anything living but I would hunt under circumstances where I wasn't just killing for fun.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Christoffer

I never had a reason to even hold a gun.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Clonedzero

whats with all the people acting like shooting a gun is a horrible thing? i mean obviously shooting someone is bad, but just shooting a gun at a target. whats the harm in that?

theres ALOT of comments acting like shooting a gun at all is terrible. stuff like "no i haven't and hopefully never will!" what? weird man.

guns are just tools, (before anyone gets all smug and raves "guns are weapons not tools", i'll respond with "weapons are tools") theres no reason to get all snooty over shooting them or not. honestly i'm more afraid of woodchippers than guns. like if i was hanging out at a place and there was a shotgun on a picnic table and a woodchipper, i'd be more nervous about falling into the woodchipper, but maybe thats just me.

woodchippers are fucking scary man.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Coombs

@Clonedzero said:

woodchippers are fucking scary man.

Someone has watched Fargo to many times

Philantrophy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Philantrophy

I have used a HK416 and a Glock 17.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Akyho

I dont think it count, I shot a pellet gun before.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By hugh_jazz

@charlie_victor_bravo said:

Yes, few hundred rounds with assault riffle RK 62.

This. Dear old 942863.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By tunaburn

also, everyone here that has shot a gun probably also agree that there should be some stricter checkups before being able to purchase one. were not saying every crazy dude should buy 10 from wal mart and load up 1000000 bullets.

but if a normal sane man wants a shotgun and or pistol for protection and some fancy shit for the range then why shouldnt they. you cant punish the majority because of the very very very tiny minority.

Avatar image for videogamesarenotart
videogamesarenotart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tunaburn said:

you cant punish the majority because of the very very very tiny minority.

oh but they can, and they will

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By frankfartmouth

I've gone hunting and target shooting a few times with my brother-in-law; he's into that kind of stuff, despite being a full-fledged Obama supporter and married to my sister, who is the biggest anti-gun person I've ever met.

It's not something I particularly enjoy, but I don't judge anyone for liking it. I just find it much more satisfying to shoot fake guns in a video game.