How big of a tip do you leave for a haircut? A pizza delivery?

• 174 results
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kmdrkul

I got a haircut this morning - the price was 20 bucks. I left the lady who cut my hair a five dollar tip. She did a good, fast job and was super friendly to me. I went to hand her her tip personally and she seemed kind of surprised; maybe that was not the correct protocol for giving a hair stylist a tip. Beats me. I was wondering what others tipped their haircutters/pizza delivery guys/airport porters? There was an old episode of Seinfeld where the baggage guy said he "usually" gets tipped about 5 bucks a bag, and Jerry and George both scoffed when they heard it. I tend to agree; I am not going to give a man 20 bucks if I have four bags just to place them on the correct conveyor belt. That's where I draw the line on tipping.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Vexxan

I've never heard of anyone giving tip for a haircut before. 

KarlPilkington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By KarlPilkington

I wouldn't give a tip unless there was a couple of quid change left from a note.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Dany

@Vexxan: Yeah, its weird, especially for 15% of on a haircut.

I tend to to be a 15% tipper for foods and such, delivery is $5+ the order usually. But if the service is poor I leave $1.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

I never tip.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kmdrkul

@Dany said:

I tend to to be a 15% tipper for foods and such, delivery is $5+ the order usually. But if the service is poor I leave $1.

That's just as ridiculous. A pizza from Dominoes is what? 10 bucks? So you're going to leave a 50 percent tip for a guy driving half a mile to give you pizza but not a 15 percent tip for somebody who is held accountable for your personal appearance?

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Since I never get worthwhile service, I never tip.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kmdrkul

Also, I have a feeling we're going to see Reservoir Dogs somewhere in this thread.

LiquidSaiyan3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By LiquidSaiyan3

That sounds perfectly reasonable. I'll usually tip between 4-8 bucks for a $12 haircut. For food delivery or restaurant tips I give about 20%, give or take, for good service.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

I tip my stylist like 10-15$, but I arrange it with the receptionist and pay it all at once.

Pizza guy I tip with whatever change I have lying around 3-5$.

Makes sense, the stylist spent years learning that skill. Pizza guy, not so much.

For food, I tip minimum 15% unless the waiter actively insults me, but I can tell when it's the waiter or the whole restaurant being clogged up. My family runs I restaurant so I'm biased towards tipping high for food. I recognize their hardships. All my mother's spending money is tips, the rest goes to mortgage, gas, tax, electricity, supplies, food, housewares, etc.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By ZenaxPure
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
I never tip.
This, it doesn't make any fucking sense, people should get paid for their work by their employers, not me. If that results in a higher price for my service I am totally fine with it, it's all about principle with me.
Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dany

@kmdrkul said:

@Dany said:

That's just as ridiculous. A pizza from Dominoes is what? 10 bucks? So you're going to leave a 50 percent tip for a guy driving half a mile to give you pizza but not a 15 percent tip for somebody who is held accountable for your personal appearance?

When I order pizza, it is not some personal pizza. I order for the family/my family and not just for myself. The orders tend to be upwards to 30 bucks reaching 60 depending.

15% for a service that usually costs me 10-13 bucks is nominal.

@kmdrkul said:

Also, I have a feeling we're going to see Reservoir Dogs somewhere in this thread.

I am Mr. Pink!

@XII_Sniper said:

Makes sense, the stylist spent years learning that skill. Pizza guy, not so much.

So I should tip my doctor then?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By BisonHero

I get my hair cut by this Italian father and son barbershop that I've been going to since I was young, but the price for a haircut has gradually gone up as I got older (which topped out once I was an adult), and also they remodeled their place into a fancier salon (increasing the price of my basic trim by another dollar or two), so I've never tipped them. $20 for a haircut is crazy enough as it is, when if I wasn't so lazy I could just buy a pair of shears, and that electric razor for the side and back of my head, and just watch some Youtube videos teaching you how to cut your own hair. I always get a really basic haircut, so that's totally possible.

I always tip the pizza guy, because he looks like a guy who could use some money.

I also always pay the paperboy, because that job is nearly slave labour.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By emergency

@Vexxan said:

I've never heard of anyone giving tip for a haircut before.

Likewise.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Sambambo

I always tip the change for food service items as it is really awkward waiting while they fumble around hoping for a tip.

Cant think of a different sector where I would tip though.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By phrosnite

I don't use those kind of services 'cause I don't like to tip.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kmdrkul

@Dany said:

@kmdrkul said:

@Dany said:

When I order pizza, it is not some personal pizza. I order for the family/my family and not just for myself. The orders tend to be upwards to 30 bucks reaching 60 depending.

15% for a service that usually costs me 10-13 bucks is nominal.

@kmdrkul said:

I am Mr. Pink!

@XII_Sniper said:

Maybe it was just this particular salon, but I had showed up for my haircut right when they opened. One lady who worked there was talking to the owner/manager about how much she made the previous day and how she was a few dollars short - the vibe I got was that the hairstylists made their money just as waiters do. Doctors get paid a different way than waiters, so to answer your question - no.

Come on guys, we're supposed to be fucking professionals!

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By bybeach

@phrosnite said:

I don't use those kind of services 'cause I don't like to tip.

My favorite.

I tip when I have to. I get a haircut about 1.5 times a year, so if it's good, I tip five. Four dollars (used to be $3) to my one pizza deliverer. I'll of course tip for a dinner.

Chylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Chylo

I normally tip $2-3 dollars for a $16 haircut. For delivery, it's also around 15%.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DeeGee

I'll never tip for a haircut.

Hairdressing is one of the professions with the biggest mark up on what they sell you. It costs how much for some scissors? £1? For a £10 hair cut, that's a 100% mark up. From one person.

I'll pay them what they ask and leave it at that. The tip is built into the price.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BraveToaster

I cut my own hair. My pizza delivery tips range from $2-$5.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SSully

The place I go has a flat rate of 15 dollars a hair cut. They usually do a good job so I just give the person the extra 5 bucks. I have only left there dissatisfied once and I didn't tip.

For delivery, be it pizza, or chinese I only give like 3 bucks.

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Toxin066

I get $15 hair cuts, so I give a $3 tip normally. $4 in mid to late december. Since pizza delivery normally runs about $15 as well, I do the same 3-4 dollar thing for them.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RsistncE

15% for good waiters/waitresses and about 5% for haircuts/delivery. My reasoning? No idea, that's just how I roll.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Patman99

I always tip but my tipping strategy is based around convenience. With a hair cut, I usually tip $2 as that is the largest coin amount Canada has. For pizza delivery, I usually tip to the nearest multiple of 5. So if the bill is $25.26, I round to $30. If it is weird and the bill is $24.50 or $28.75, I will round the next nearest multiple of 5. It's all based around me not wanting change so that's what I give the deliveryman/stylist.

Also note that my haircuts are usually buzzcuts so it only costs me $10 so my toonie tip is pretty fair. (Also because I could just buzz my own hair rather then spend $10 on a haircut twice a year.)

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By probablytuna

I don't believe in tipping.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I always give a $2 tip for haircuts.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MikkaQ

@Dany said:

@XII_Sniper said:

No because doctors make way more than stylists. Also it's just a common courtesy. Pretty standard thing to do. Maybe not at a 5$ barber, but I go to salons.

LiquidS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LiquidS

Think all fast food outlets I order from eg Pizza Hut etc ad a $3 delivery fee so I tend not to tip the person as I figure this fee is their tip.

When I am at a bar or restaurant I don't mind tipping when the service has been good, when it isn't very good I have no problems leaving little to nothing.

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BitterAlmond

My hairdresser is a reasonable woman who actually left a studio to start her own to save her clientele money and her own time. She's always given great haircuts, and only charges $15. I always pay $20.

As for pizza, I guess it depends on how fast it gets there and how absent-minded I am. If it's there within fifteen-twenty minutes, I'll probably tip the delivery kid if I have the presence of mind. Often I just forget, though.

Generally, I tip somewhere between 10-20%, whatever rounds to a nice number.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Clinkz

I tip around 15%.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By zoozilla

I'm charged $15 for a haircut at this local barbershop, and I'll usually give them $18 or so. Maybe $20 if they do a really good job.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ervonymous

Not a custom and hardly even a curiosity around here. My last hair cut cost me 30e anyway and they took my lush hair to the back room, should've given me a tip.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mpgeist

Why tip for a haircut? What the fuck are they charging for in the first place then?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AlexW00d

@Dany said:

@XII_Sniper said:

You should tip your doctor more so than a guy who can't get a better job than delivering pizzas, absolutely. I think your health is much more important than unhealthy food.

-

And no I would not tip a hairdresser, nor a waiter, nor a chef, nor anyone; not unless they went above and beyond their job, for which I am already paying for, and provided a service they do not usually do. I don't honestly see the point in tipping anyone when all they have done is their job, especially out of some sort of customary norm.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By ZenaxPure
@mpgeist said:

Why tip for a haircut? What the fuck are they charging for in the first place then?

Can't you say that about every profession though? I thought the point of me paying for a service was to receive it to the fullest, why am I paying someone a tip to their specific service, shouldn't that be rolled into the main bill? 
kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kidman

Wow, geez, I haven't seen so many people being surprised by tipping.. I do tip when the service is good, which it is usually. I tip like 5-7% but it all depends (obviously). I tip waiters cause I know how much of a fucking chore it is to work with customers.

Flatline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Flatline

I leave $5 for a haircut and about $3 to $4 for pizza

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Meltac

I have never tipped in my entire life, and I don't get the idea..

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By audiosnow

I usually tip 25% for a pizza delivery, and anywhere between 25-50% at a restaurant. I realize that my restaurant percentage is pretty high, but I'm at a point in life when disposable income is plentiful. That said, if I ever work in a tip-worthy industry I would refuse tips. I enjoy giving donations, but I'll never take charity.

I understand that calling tips "charity" may raise people's ire, but as Washington state's minimum wage is $17,303 more than 80% of Indians' annual income, I feel no inhibitions in saying it.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By finstern

Europe here, Ireland to be specific, never tip unless its just a couple of coins left over and I couldn't be arsed.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By I_smell

I don't tip anything. Just cos I don't get how society works and I don't get how people work.

I don't have an iPhone, I don't watch TV, I hate strip clubs, I don't get why anyone watches scary movies- I don't tip.

If I'm out with people I'll ask "how much should I tip" and just do that.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#43  Edited By recroulette

I tip my barber because he's a local guy and it's the change I would've recieved back anyway.

For Pizza I'll add a few bucks onto the delivery

Hameyadea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hameyadea

If I got a shitty service (food was cold at the restaurant, delivery took too long. etc...) I don't tip. If I got reasonable+ service (food was warm and didn't took long to arrive), I tip between 5%-10%. If I think that I got a very good service, or if I'm just in a very good mood, then it can go up to 20% tip.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#45  Edited By Sambambo

@DeeGee said:

Hairdressing is one of the professions with the biggest mark up on what they sell you. It costs how much for some scissors? £1? For a £10 hair cut, that's a 100% mark up. From one person.

I'll pay them what they ask and leave it at that. The tip is built into the price.

The upkeep of the chairs and whatnot, the hot water, the products used on your hair, the razers, the person sweeping up your hair, the wages of the person cutting your hair, the rent and other bills of the shop etc

Thats a bad list, but you get the point.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#46  Edited By StarvingGamer

It depends on what cash I have on me but I usually tip $5 for myself and $10 for my girlfriend since men's cuts are way cheaper even though my hair is significantly more complicated to style than hers is.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By mikemcn

@DeeGee said:

Yea, but that price is more than justified since most people have no business cutting their own hair, and since you only need a haircut every few weeks at most. I consider a haircut at that price to be more than reasonable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LiquidS said:

Think all fast food outlets I order from eg Pizza Hut etc ad a $3 delivery fee so I tend not to tip the person as I figure this fee is their tip.

My Domino's charges $2 for delivery and we see less than half of that to pay for gas. It's good in a way because a large percentage of tips go towards wear & tear on the car, and drivers who consistently give poor service and get poor tips don't last long. It's bad because customers think that's our tip when really the franchisee usually pockets it saying it's "for insurance" but then forces drivers to pay out of their own pockets for the outstanding commercial insurance.

As someone who sees tips every day in his job, I'm a generous tipper, but I also scrutinize service. $5 is a really good tip for a pizza driver, so I usually tip between $5 and $7 for decent service, sometimes $10 if the service is really good, but I won't hesitate to stiff the driver for poor service, because that's our job - great service. Where I go for haircuts is usually between $12 and $15, so I always leave a $20 unless it's a really bad haircut, which only happened once.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49  Edited By shadows_kill

Hair cut is about $18 bucks and I just tip to make it a even $20. Pizza it depends if they do a delivery charge or not but if you include that $1.50 delivery its probably around $4. However, do any of you guys tip car side to go at like Applebees or other places with a similar service??

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FacelessVixen

No tips, since I cut my own hair.