• 88 results
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By penguindust

I don't bother anymore. I just listen to what I like and occasionally sift through YouTube and Pandora for similar songs. I used to care about these types of things. I wanted to know what was current and what trends were unfolding in popular music. Now, as I said, I don't. I think a big part of it is the only new music I listen to is J-pop. Since no one else I know cares to listen to that stuff, I don't feel compelled to keep current. I'm already well educated in pop music from the 20th Century dating back to the 30's. I hated the music of my teen years and so I researched back through the 70's, 60's, 50's and so forth. Then in my college years, I explored alternative and independent music. After that, I felt it was important to know what was climbing up the charts as well as being talked about in smaller circles. It's all just so much work though and I am tired of it. I don't want to think about anything when I listen to music these days. Not even the lyrics which might explain some of my attraction to J-pop. Give me an upbeat tempo with a catchy chorus and I'm satisfied. Something like this.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER
WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By WMWA

@TheSlip: wrote for a few blogs for a while and the university paper, put together a good portfolio. But honestly the best thing was being in the Chicago area a lot. Ended up meeting a couple of people there who had connections to the site. I had connects, but that doesn't mean I didn't deserve it. From what I saw when I worked there, unless you already have a net following, published credentials, know someone, or are in the Chi/NYC area and apply for an internship first they dont even bother. I was lucky to have a foot in the door to the point where they actually looked at my portfolio and resume. Dont mean to be negative, but you told me to be honest. I left on my own terms to start a different site and focus on school, so I'm still cool with a lot of the people there. I didn't really enjoy my time working there overall, but if you really want to I can pass your name along and give you an email address or two.

WMWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By WMWA
@csl316 Ahhh, true statement. I take for granted that this internet thing might change/go down one day, haha
Avatar image for jonathanashleymoore
JonathanAshleyMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

RateYourMusic.com, go to the charts, pick a genre, enjoy.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Hector

iTunes top 100 songs.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Leptok

Pandora, random chatter on the internet.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#58  Edited By Red

As mentioned before, The Needle Drop and Pitchfork are great ways to keep up with music. I've also found a lot of bands simply by checking out bands on the same record label as one I like.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By medacris

For awhile, I just listened to whatever music the people I follow on Tumblr reblogged- sometimes I love it, sometimes I don't. But it's a good way to find new music, or older music you might not be aware of.

It also helps to have an open mind to genres you're usually adverse to. Sometimes you stumble upon an exception to the rule.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#60  Edited By supermonkey122

Not simply.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Hot_Karl

@Hector said:

iTunes top 100 songs.

I wouldn't recommend this unless you want to just listen to Katy Perry & Glee tracks, with the occasional Adele, Gotye or Wiz Khalifa song thrown in there. You'll definitely know what the mainstream digs, however.

As for recommendations, friends, Pitchfork, A.V. Club (which I use for everything) and The Needle Drop.

Very much recommend Anthony at The Needle Drop. He highlights mostly independent artists (people you won't be too familiar with) and even if he doesn't particularly like an album or whatever, he explains his stance on the music thoroughly & is always open to discussion about it, which is really the key thing. He acknowledges that music taste is subjective.

sasnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#62  Edited By sasnipes

I'm really surprised that nobody has said this already, but the NPR All Songs Considered and Tiny Desk Concerts podcasts usually have a pretty wide sampling of stuff to check out. Another way I find random bands is through Metacritic. While I don't always agree with their scoring methods/relying on numbers, generally if an album has an 80 or above score then I'll check out samples to see if I like it. I've found several bands I really like that way. Happy hunting!

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By wjb

The majority of my tastes are pre-2000. I visit stuff like Pitchfork or music blogs, but more than half of their recommendations aren't as good as they say they are. I feel like sites/blogs on the Internet have a hive mentality; I'm not impressed with most of the Best New Music picks.

Since I've been seriously listening to music for over 20 years now, most of my tastes don't come from anywhere specific. But if I had to choose, somewhere like All Music or the Sound Opinions podcast: places that weed through the bullshit.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Grillbar

radio at work, random youtube vids, word of mouth, random internet station.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#65  Edited By Hizang

I don't follow enough for it to be an issue, I really only follow Lady Gaga/Katy Perry. I'm sure the world will not let me forget about a new song of theirs.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By MezZa

Making new Pandora stations, amazon suggestions, and itunes suggestions mainly. I also keep an eye out for the kind of reviews/comments on bands that I like which mention other similar bands. Every now and then I find it really hard to find new bands/artists in genres that I've been listening to for awhile, but I just take that as a sign that I need to go find another genre to start adding to my library.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Liking your favorite artists' facebook/twitter pages is great for keeping up with tour dates and general news (that sounds like a fucking ad, I know). Lately magazines like Rolling Stone and Spin have been giving out one-year subscriptions when you buy certain tickets through Live Nation. I buy a lot of concert tickets so it works out well, and Spin has really stepped their game up with their new format. I check XXL.com for hip-hop news every day or so. The articles are written pretty terribly, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say I "keep up" really. I know what styles of music I really enjoy and mostly stick to that, and when I get tired of whatever is in my current rotation I try to find new* stuff similar to what I already like by doing a Google search for "similar music to [artist that I like]" and go from there.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Huey2k2
mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By mandude

My dad is more up to date than I am. I'm still mining the 60s and 70s for gems.

Dimsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 118

#71  Edited By Dimsey

I don't really. There's like two or three bands I've liked since my teens that I "follow" and everything else is just a random mix of stuff I grew up listening to on account of my parents and the occasional new song that I inadvertently get exposed to thanks to Twitter, Facebook etc. but I don't really go out of my way to listen to new music.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By cookiemonster

I try to keep up by visiting lots of music websites. Like people have already said, pitchfork is great for new music, although I find their reviews themselves to be a bit shit. I visit tinymixtapes, factmag, drownedinsound and the needledrop as well.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By DeF

Mostly through blogs and a small forum that I joined back when I joined the internet world. That only works for rap music, though, since I have no idea for how to learn about other stuff I might like. My taste is pretty varied but in those other lanes it's still pretty selective. So I just happen to stumble upon things.

And I look up stuff I hear in TV shows or whatever.

An example: I would've never heard about The Heavy and the awesome music they're making if it hadn't been for last year's Batman: Arkham City trailer that used their song Short Change Hero. Went and bought their two albums immediately and loved every song on it.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Zlimness

It's hard to keep up with the latest releases, so I have friends that spend most of their free time looking through music blogs and talking with others. They know what I like and drop some recommendations if they find anything good.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#75  Edited By TobbRobb

I'm not up to date at all. I just don't really care that much.

Been listening to a looooooooot of Touhou/rock remixes, that right there is a fucking endless supply.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now? I listen to a lot of DI.FM, whenever I hear a song I enjoy I just check the track history.

When I was a teenager I used to go to a lot of local shows, word of mouth, etc.

TheSlip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By TheSlip
@wmaustin55: Thanks for the tips and the honesty! As much as I appreciate the offer for the emails, I think I'll pass. I've actually been slowly getting kind of out of music writing lately as I reach the end of college. I don't think it's the direction I'm headed in anymore, and if I don't have that drive anymore then I probably don't stand a chance trying to get my foot in the door. I think I see it as more of a hobby now, and if I don't have that big following either I probably don't stand a chance in actually trying to make it. Thanks again, though!
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By MikkaQ

Well.. it's music. It's not like games where some of them are literally technically broken pieces of crap. Most music is at least listenable, so it all depends on your tastes.

Personally I discover music when people recommend music, or I just ask what they're listening to these days. That's pretty effective, honestly.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#79  Edited By Sooty

I don't really. I've accepted that metal from the 80s and 90s is generally better than what there is now, this is especially true for black and death metal.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#80  Edited By Jeust

Listen to the radio and watch music channels like IConcert.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8d1874be961
deactivated-5d8d1874be961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wutang is forever. I don't really listen to new music other than dubstep, and that's only when I'm in the mood while playing LoL. Most of the time I stay in old school/underground hip hop rooms on Turntable.fm and listen to some good shit.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Karl_Boss

wikipedia, music websites, sample discs, look for similar/related artists

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#83  Edited By AlexW00d

@Sooty said:

I don't really. I've accepted that metal from the 80s and 90s is generally better than what there is now, this is especially true for black and death metal.

Goddamnit yes. Almost all modern metal is terrible. WIITR are the only truly decent Black Metal band around atm. I still listen to 1349, but they've been going like 15 years so they don't count as modern.

As for the topic, unless you wanna be some pretentious bastard, don't. I discover new music through friends and actually seeing them live with other bands. I went through the stage of expanding my music knowledge when I was like 16 and thankfully grew out of it. Botch aren't around any more so why bother with modern music.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By supamon

Try out whatever that isn't pop music?

MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#85  Edited By MistaSparkle

http://hypem.com/

This is how I do it. There are a lot of remixes that get popular on there but also a lot of really good indie stuff, alternative rock, and anything else really. Just try it out for a bit if you've got time.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Tarsier

put favorite record labels on book marks, fav band sites, go to music forums that have new releases sections, check last fm for recommended artists, check out music review sites

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#87  Edited By BaneFireLord

I don't. 95% of current stuff is pretty shitty anyway.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#88  Edited By Ben_H

I don't keep up with modern music. But to find music, I just use Rdio's lists they keep under artists of who their influences were, who they influenced, and similar artists. That stuff works particularly well for Jazz and Ska. I found like 6 Ska bands I liked the other day in a total of 5 minutes. 

@AlexW00d said:

@Sooty said:

Goddamnit yes. Almost all modern metal is terrible. WIITR are the only truly decent Black Metal band around atm. I still listen to 1349, but they've been going like 15 years so they don't count as modern.

As for the topic, unless you wanna be some pretentious bastard, don't. I discover new music through friends and actually seeing them live with other bands. I went through the stage of expanding my music knowledge when I was like 16 and thankfully grew out of it. Botch aren't around any more so why bother with modern music.

To me, barring a few newer bands, the cutoff for good metal is roughly 2000 as well. All the modern American metal bands are complete garbage; either they try too hard to be technical or try too hard to be deep, and they end up with overly technical music with no substance and abhorrent vocals.  Those crazy Scandinavians still put out some good metal though on occasion, but that's because a lot of it is reminiscent of older metal and doesn't take itself seriously. I will listen to a modern Ensiferum album because even though they lost Jari, who was hugely important in their sound and in the writing of their music back in the 90s until he left, they still get what made their music good in the past and keep that in their newer albums. And Ihsahn is still doing interesting things at least, his album from last year was quite neat, particularly the use of saxophone in songs like "A Grave Inversed".

Oh snap, just looked up what Jari from Wintersun is up to, new album out this summer! It only took 8 years! I've been looking forward to that album since I first heard Wintersun in 2005.
wenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By wenis

Go see bands anywhere you can. Local shows, not so local shows, house shows, club shows, bar shows...everything

or just read pitchfork till your eyes bleed.