• 77 results
Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Simplexity

So a couple of days ago I had a bit of an epiphany, I was standing in front of a mirror looking at the horrific abomination that is me, when I realized that I have been spending so much time getting clothes I think look good spending a lot of money on hair cuts etc. What is the point?

So I officially gave up, and stopped giving a toss about how I look, I shaved my head so I am completely bald and I've been wearing nothing but ratty old hoodies and crappy jeans for like a week now.

Having thrown away my vanity I feel free. It feels good, you guys should try it. Just give up.

A_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By A_Dog

I thought the song was about me.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Sounds awful.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Not in the least. My hair's a mess (so is my facial hair), I carry around a half-torn backpack around with me to school, and my clothes aren't all that flashy, but they're not trash.

I'd have no point to be, anyways. Sounds like a drag.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pezen

Caring about your own looks isn't necessarily vain or pointless. Someone once said that taking care of your looks is a way of taking care of yourself. You don't have to abide by mainstream ideas of what that should be, but there is an interesting psychological effect of looking in the mirror and being pleased with what you see as opposed to not. I make an effort to look, at the very least, "decent" any time I leave my home. Not as a means to impress anyone else, but because I feel the most comfortable in my own skin. I want to look good, because if I know I look like shit, I'll be more self-concious than I am normally. And believe you me, I sometimes contemplate how I walk for no apparent reason. I can't stand people that focus entirely on their looks to the point that they're almost handicapped if something turns wrong, but I also can't grasp people who doesn't see when they're letting themselves go. It's also quite true that however you decide to look, says something about who you are considering that's how you present yourself superficially to people.

Also, you haven't officially given up until you wear sweat pants regularly.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Arker101

I like to look nice, makes me feel good about myself.

johnbakosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By johnbakosh

Works well if you aren't looking for a partner. If you are then your only options are people with no sense of aesthetics, or at least a very unique one.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By s10129107

While its awesome you deemphasized appearance in your life, you can't simply let everything go. If you have poor self image you'll let yourself fall behind in life. I'm 28 years old and let me tell you from experience because i've been there. Don't worry about how you look dude, but don't let your appearance go completely (though shaving your head is not necessarily a bad thing). You're too young to give up on getting laid... seriously, at least be presentable enough to try and take a girl home once in a while. Address the things you have control over and let go of the things you don't, thats all you can do. Its not really about vanity.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Animasta
No Caption Provided

I look nothing like him ;_;

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deadmanforking

Not gonna lie, I clicked on this link because I thought it said 'How virgin are you?'

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That's nice and all, if you only hang out with hippies and stoners, that is.

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ItBeStefYo

Yeah I think i've become a bit more vain, if i at least touch my hair it can make me look alot better/worse.

Im abit self conscious about my clothes aswell

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Dagbiker

Half the time I dont care, Half the time Its too much work, and half the time its just my aspergers acting up. But I pay no attention to my look.

Also I think the correct Answer is:

Im so vain, Im glad you made this thread about me.

dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dfsvegas

I've thought about this, but came to the conclusion that wearing nice clothes doesn't just give you a confidence boost, but it shows respect to the people you're around. If you only put minimal effort in your appearance, people might wonder where else in your life you put minimal effort.

That's almost certainly me projecting on others, but at least it keeps me from slipping into slobitude.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmilingPig

"ratty old hoodies and crappy jeans" would be a step up for me.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By donkeycow

But i'm the shit and i know it, and my outer self must reflect this...

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Animasta said:

No Caption Provided

I look nothing like him ;_;

I can look like him, should I want to. However, disregarding that, I've pretty much given up on my looks.

Butler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Butler

I was just going to post a picture of myself in response with the words "Gaze upon my radiant beauty and despair" but I much rather masturbate in front of a mirror.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By gamefreak9

About once a month I get my electric razor out and remove all hair from my head, xept eyebrows. I can honestly say i've spent less than 10 hours in my WHOLE life in front of the mirror. I'm sure most people have a better idea of what I look like than I do.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By laserbolts

I don't focus on brand names of clothes or anything like that but I try to wear stuff that isn't dirty or with holes in it. At least while i'm not working anyways. Oh and I try to avoid a neckbeard and being dirty at all costs. I take pride in smelling nice and not having greasy hair.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PixelPrinny

@Arker101 said:

This right here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as you don't ever want to date anyone, why not? Being vain vs trashy is completely different. Isn't there some sort of middle ground here? Haha.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously people, you'd have to be Paul Rudd from My Idiot Brother to pull off a "not giving a shit" look. If you are not Paul Rudd, chances are that the people in your environment just think you're a smelly hobo or a worthless stoner. Appearance matters, whether you like it or not. Making sure you look representable in the morning does not equal vanity. If your clothes have stains, wash them. If they are torn, buy new ones.

And for the love of all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you bathe, men of the West!

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#24  Edited By Cathryn

@PixelPrinny said:

@Arker101 said:

This right here.

Thirded.

I like to be low maintenance, but I like to look nice at the same time. It's surprising what you can do to look presentable without a lot of work or spending a ton of money.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@S0ndor said:

Appearance matters, whether you like it or not.

Eh. Not to the extent of looking like a hobo, but if one is not particularly socially inclined I don't see why it matters all that much (unless the person is dressing for something where proper attire is required, like a job, a wedding or something).

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jams

@DFSVegas said:

I've thought about this, but came to the conclusion that wearing nice clothes doesn't just give you a confidence boost, but it shows respect to the people you're around. If you only put minimal effort in your appearance, people might wonder where else in your life you put minimal effort.

That's almost certainly me projecting on others, but at least it keeps me from slipping into slobitude.

It only shows respect to people who think wearing certain clothes is respectful. We can all have different levels of respectability when it comes to what we wear. Not to mention certain groups of people require clothes that fit their style and will judge you based on if what you're wearing matches their style. It's a class thing and it seems pretty primal. It may be minimal, but it'd be the same as a caveman wearing clothing that came from an animal that is considered hard to kill as opposed to another caveman wearing leafs.

You're not showing respect to a certain people, you're trying to command it from them.

ZombieSpace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ZombieSpace

@PixelPrinny said:

@Arker101 said:

This right here.

yup.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dillonwerner

@ryanrulez said:

Beat me to it

Im_a_Wizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Im_a_Wizard
dfsvegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dfsvegas

@Jams: I don't know, I think what I said still stands. Obviously, what is and isn't considered "nice clothing" is dependent on who you're talking to, but there's a distinct difference between a hoodie and gym shorts, and a dress shirt. Like I said, maybe it's me, but I feel like if I'm going to a friend's house, I may not wear what I wear around the house. Not because I don't want to (I totally would love to wear gym shorts everywhere), but because I think it shows respect to the people you're around.

Basically, it shows that you cared enough about the people around you to wash your ass, and take some effort to look decent.

But yeah, I agree, it's also a way to demand respect back. I don't think those ideas are mutually exclusive.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vrikk

@ryanrulez said:

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By buzz_clik

I'm a vain person trapped in a lazy person's body.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@FluxWaveZ said:

@S0ndor said:

Appearance matters, whether you like it or not.

Eh. Not to the extent of looking like a hobo, but if one is not particularly socially inclined I don't see why it matters all that much (unless the person is dressing for something where proper attire is required, like a job, a wedding or something).

I'm just saying that it will affect people's opinions about you, no matter what any hipster motivational says about how it's what's on the inside that matters. People who are "not particularly socially inclined" will obviously not care, but it will still have an impact on their lives, in that it changes the way that people will treat them.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#34  Edited By ch3burashka

@ryanrulez said:

I knew the song was about me.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ravenlight

@CH3BURASHKA said:

@ryanrulez said:

I knew the song was about me.

Beaten to the punchline. Well done.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ghost_cat

Damn I look good.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#37  Edited By pyromagnestir

Apparently everyone else also had my idea for a "This thread is about me." joke.

And my plan B was basically this

@Butler said:

I was just going to post a picture of myself in response with the words "Gaze upon my radiant beauty and despair"

although less Lord of the Ringsy. So, now I don't know what the hell to do.

Maybe I'll just stick to the truth. I'm not vain, although I do very much enjoy throwing my picture around this website like I owned the place.

bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bio595

I like to look tidy when I go out. Dont give a flying fuck at home

gtg12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By gtg12

I'm not really vain in my opinion. I keep my hair at a respectable length which is kinda short, I dress not too flashy but not grungey, and try to be nice to other people. Is this about personality as well?

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By McShank

I wear what I want but most of the time I have some kind of expensive piece of clothing whether it be the jackets I wear or the shoes that I own as I dont like buying alot of cheap things as they 1. dont look good or 2. are made to be worn 3-4 times and fade or tear. If they match is of another story as I could care less but if they are not clean or if they are ripped I will not wear them.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheHumanDove

So that's what Britney Spears was doing

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By NTM

You can still look nice as you're being mostly comfortable.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By renmckormack

@ryanrulez said:

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#44  Edited By TobbRobb

Don't care that much, but It's nice to think you look good. I'll take the minimum required effort to shave sometimes and buy decent clothes. It's not really black and white ugly/pretty. Just be happy somewhere in between.

matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By matthias2437

Honestly I sadly have become more vain over time. I used to not give a shit at all but as I got into better shape and started doing more things with a crowd of people that cares about that sort of stuff it starts to rub off on you even if you don't want it to.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm not very picky about clothes, I kinda just wear a t-shirt and shorts if it's hot and jeans if it's cold. I feel really gross if I even go a day without showering and stay generally clean shaven. I hate the idea of me smelling or my breath smelling so of course I always wear deodorant and chew a lot of gum/brush my teeth. But I don't really see that as being vain, it's pretty much basic hygiene.

Dexter_Morgan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Dexter_Morgan_

...you probably think this thread is about you.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#48  Edited By JasonR86

@ryanrulez said:

Asshole you stole my line.

Coafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Coafi

@buzz_clik said:

I'm a vain person trapped in a lazy person's body.

Pretty much this, I'm one of those girls that barely uses make up, everybody says that's bad.

Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Tesla

@ryanrulez said:

Came here to post this, glad to see it was the first reply. Well done, sir.