I've dug myself into a hole.

MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MC_Izawa

II don't really have any friends, and I'm having issues making some.  See, when I first meet someone or get to know a group of people, they assume that I have friends because I act like it or outright lie to them (because it pains me too badly to tell the truth about something so embarrassing).  So, like, at work they think I have school friends and don't pursue me past that point because they think I hang out with school people, and vice versa at school.  I mean, my phone contact list is empty, I don't have a Facebook or anything like that, and all my online friends lists are full of people I meet virtually.  What can I do to get out of this?  Should I add a "I'M LONELY BE MY FRIEND" to my handshake when I first meet someone?  I just strive to be normal and confident, so I act like it, and it works so well that everyone assumes I am.  I wish I could start at square one...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

1. Make a Facebook

2. Add everybody who's face resembles someone you might have known in a past life, extending back to October 16th, 1549.
3. Comment on everything and put up "bro" status updates like "just toked a dime and I'm down for jagerbombs tonight"
4. ???
5. Profit?
Avatar image for frenchfriedfool
FrenchFriedFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By FrenchFriedFool

Cool story bro.

No Caption Provided

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hitchenson

A wild emo appears!

Wild emo uses: An hero...
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Diamond

How old are you?  I ask because it makes a big difference how you meet people.

Personally so far I've been lucky in that all my friends sort of imposed their friendship on to me as opposed to vice versa.  People showed up at my door as a kid until I was their friend.  Helped that I had a lot of game systems and action figures as a teen I guess.

My best advice to you is to do what my friends did to me.  Ask them if they want to hang out after school, but at least get to know the people a little in school, hang around and talk to them, don't just impose that on a total stranger.  Most of my friendship attaining happened in grade school, FYI.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By maxszy

That being said, to the OP: you just got to stick your neck out there a bit and not be afraid to invite someone to do something. Not sure what that would be, as it really varies by age but the same principal. If you stick yourself out there showing that you would be interested in maybe starting a friendship, people will give it a try.
Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By Brundage

Just be yourself man, just be yourself.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Vinchenzo

Start fist bumping.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ParanoidFreak

It sounds to me like you have social issues, maybe you should talk to a guidance councillor at your school.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By Tireyo

Brundage said:

"Just be yourself man, just be yourself."

Listen to this guy said, and you'll have friends.

ParanoidFreak said:

" It sounds to me like you have social issues, maybe you should talk to a guidance councillor at your school."

Hope he goes to a good school with a good councilor.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead
Tireyo643 said:
"Brundage said:

Listen to this guy said, and you'll have friends."

Not really. This doesn't exactly have a 100% success rate as the odds of finding someone you can be purely yourself with is slim to none so instead, make compromises. Be some of yourself and be some of what others want you to be. That being said, why am I giving legitimate advice in an MC_Izawa thread?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax

Why are you guys such jerks all of a sudden? Seriously, I though Giant Bomb was a community of mature people but some of the posts in here are just sad.

Anyway, I've been in that situation before, and all I can say is to just be yourself.

Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess
natetodamax said:
"Why are you guys such jerks all of a sudden? Seriously, I though Giant Bomb was a community of mature people but some of the posts in here are just sad.Anyway, I've been in that situation before, and all I can say is to just be yourself."
Yeah and if people don't like you for you well than there not the kind of people you want as friends.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Scooper

This thread needs a bucket of fried chicken.

Anyways, when I moved to a different part of the country and knew no one. I was 16 then and just finished school so it wasn't like I could meet people during school and hang out afterwards.
What I done was go down the local skatepark and just hang out there and I met quite a lot of duders that I now hang out with still.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Plasma

If you dont hang with people at primary school where nobody knows anyone (dunno what its called in US), any groups you join you'll be an 'outsider', not an original friend...

Luckily im an insider :p

At uni (collage?) its a new start, so reinvent yourself!

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MadeinFinland

Just hang out with geeks; 60% of the time, they're friendly all of the time!

As it is, who needs friends outside virtual ones? Aren't we good enough? You're not my friend anymore.. jk jk

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tireyo
HandsomeDead said:
"Tireyo643 said:
"Brundage said:

Listen to this guy said, and you'll have friends."

Not really. This doesn't exactly have a 100% success rate as the odds of finding someone you can be purely yourself with is slim to none so instead, make compromises. Be some of yourself and be some of what others want you to be. That being said, why am I giving legitimate advice in an MC_Izawa thread?"

Nothing is a 100% percent success in life, because there are always obstacles and problems that you come across.

I want to be accepted for who I am, not what others want me to be.  People start to control you when it gets to the point of what others want you to be.  I care for people, but when it gets to the point to where I can't be myself, there is a problem. 
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hitchenson
natetodamax said:
"Why are you guys such jerks all of a sudden? Seriously, I though Giant Bomb was a community of mature people but some of the posts in here are just sad.Anyway, I've been in that situation before, and all I can say is to just be yourself."
Hm, say I was a racist, homophobic, Jew hating, wife beating, pedophile who luuuurrrved to fap over CP. You're telling me to be myself, and I'll be accepted? Awesome! :D
brb making friends...
FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FlipperDesert

I would say "Why are you still here?" but this is sadly very close to my life story.

No, seriously. :[

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#20  Edited By natetodamax
Hitchenson said:
"natetodamax said:
Hm, say I was a racist, homophobic, Jew hating, wife beating, pedophile who luuuurrrved to fap over CP. You're telling me to be myself, and I'll be accepted? Awesome! :D
brb making friends...
"
Congratulations on blowing my statement completely out of proportion and achieving nothing in the process.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HandsomeDead
natetodamax said:
"Hitchenson said:
"natetodamax said:
brb making friends...
"
Congratulations on blowing my statement completely out of proportion and achieving nothing in the process."
No, he does have a point. Not everyone is a good person and I'd be willing to bet everyone has something that they think/believe/do that wouldn't be accepted by a majority of people.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Tireyo
HandsomeDead said:
"natetodamax said:
"Hitchenson said:
"natetodamax said:
brb making friends...
"
Congratulations on blowing my statement completely out of proportion and achieving nothing in the process."
No, he does have a point. Not everyone is a good person and I'd be willing to bet everyone has something that they think/believe/do that wouldn't be accepted by a majority of people."

:D No one is perfect and that is for sure! :D
BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By BigBoss1911

Find someone that likes the stuff you do,be yourself.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kmdrkul
HandsomeDead said:
"natetodamax said:
"Hitchenson said:
"natetodamax said:
brb making friends...
"
No, he does have a point. Not everyone is a good person and I'd be willing to bet everyone has something that they think/believe/do that wouldn't be accepted by a majority of people."
I have tried to "be myself" with several ex's in the past.  They pretty much all ended with either a hard slap to the face or a swift kick in the pants... either way with me being at the receiving end. 
IVIorpheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By IVIorpheus

Be yourself. If that doesn't work, be someone you know who is popular....

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ahriman22

Oh well.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PureRok

That was silly of you. Why would you dig yourself into a hole? What's in a hole worth having? Have you seen/read Holes? That's a good movie/book...

Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Commando

Invite them to do something, like see Wolverine. 

Avatar image for kitsune_conundrum
kitsune_conundrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

get a hobby or a habit and start from there.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

Its easy to get friends through sports or activities.

Oh, and HandsomeDead has a point. :)

MikeydCT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By MikeydCT

I have the same problem but I dont dont go to school and Im looking for work right now. How do I make friends when I dont have work or school? Im 25 if you were wondering and shy at first that what makes it a bit hard for me to make friends.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By turbomonkey138

Is teh new destroy all humans game any good ?

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By singular

It's hard the other way around too. I have so much friends who all want a peace of me that my wife feels neglected :(

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CL60
Vinchenzo said:
"Start fist bumping."
Only hardcore people are allowed to do that.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

HandsomeDead said:
Not really. This doesn't exactly have a 100% success rate as the odds of finding someone you can be purely yourself with is slim to none so instead, make compromises. Be some of yourself and be some of what others want you to be. That being said, why am I giving legitimate advice in an MC_Izawa thread?"
Yeah, wait until you can trust said friend before you start acting totally like yourself.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By JJWeatherman

Is this topic for rizzle? Just seems a little odd...

dr_nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By dr_nefarious

I say just act like yourself. Join a club, start being more social with people. I'm sure you'll meet someone.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Ineedaname

Ask them to do something, you could just say at work is anyone going out, if they say they're going the movies or something even if you dont want to see the film just say you do and see if they invite you along. Sitting through a film you hate might open up into making friends so it's not all that bad, that applies to other things aswell if they're just going somewhere just imply you'd like to do that that way you don't seem needy and like you're forcing yourself on them but like you're interested and want to do something.

Incase I never explained that:
Person A (You): hey you guys up to much this weekend?
Person B (Them): Going to see X-men.
Person A: hey that's look good, want to see that myself but none of my friends do.
*Hope person B asks*

You could also just ask if anyone wants to go with you because your friends think it'll be crap, I know that's lying again but it's for an means to a good end so it's not all bad.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#39  Edited By JJWeatherman

Just take a que from the Endurance Run, knowledge leads to popularity, and popularity leads to intimacy. I think that's how it went.

So... STUDY UP!

TheBigBeefy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheBigBeefy

I have a similar problem but I'm out of school and at the age where friend finding is difficult. Perhaps if you had a hobby, you could meet people with the same interests.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By luce

two words

Craigs-list

ok on a serious note, you should try and meet friends through other friends. you do have atleast one friend right?

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By teh_destroyer

That sucks, I kinda know what that is like.I don't have a lot of friends, let alone any friends that I socialize outside of work.This has kinda been an issue for me since my best friend died on me a couple of years ago.

Sgt_T1bbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Sgt_T1bbs

music is a great way to get out there. go to shows, go buy a guitar and start writing music, its rad.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By keyhunter

You seem pretty uncool to me.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By meptron

I'm disturbed by the amount of 4chan memes in this thread. That shit is so juvenile and annoying. Go post in gametrailers if you want to post that tripe.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By keyhunter

Join a church youth group. Those people HAVE to be your friends. I'm serious, do it.

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By ManlyBeast

If you're trying to make friends then it's be hard for you. Just go hanging out and you'll make some.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kashif1
Scooper said:
"This thread needs a bucket of fried chicken

back on topic, almost everyone here has given you good advise, it would be redundant to give any more

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Life is hard...there's not much more to say. The main piece of advice I'll give you is to never compromise on being yourself. Don't change just to please other people because if you do you'll never be truly happy. I'm not saying don't change at all though. There are always things we can do to improve ourselves, but always remember to be yourself.

thedj93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By thedj93

Hmm...I guess you could like join a play, organize a talent show, something that forces you to work with some peeps to connect with, know what I mean? My advice would be to figure out your own talents and say it were music, start a band...
know what I mean?

FrenchFriedFool said:

"Cool story bro.

No Caption Provided
"
unfortuntately, the /b/tard in me laughed when i saw this :P