Kotaku Comments - Opinions

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_A_Drain

Is anyone else really annoyed by the recent change Kotaku has made to their comments section? 

I don't ever post their anyway, I just take a look through the comments sometimes, but now the 'star commenters' get reshuffled to the top of the comments, it's even more ignorant, unfunny, stupid and brash than usual. :\ I do not support the decision at all. 

In fact, on numerous occasions so far i've seen 'star commenters' say something retarded only to be smacked down and completely owned by a barrage of intelligent and witty comments from non-stars. 

Anyone else have feelings or opinions on this? I go there mostly for news, but I have to force myself not to read any comments now as I just get aggravated. 

(Totally understand if this gets locked/whatever, it's not meant in a derogatory fashion but I understand that discussing other sites can be a bit iffy sometimes :) )
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By super_machine

Its kind of anoying but I dont post there much before anyways.

No Caption Provided

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By PowerSerj

My only gripe with it is the fact that I have to scroll to the bottom of the page every time I want to read the comments because I kind of want to see ALL of the comments. Who the fuck cares if a troll post is out in the open every once in a while?

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Jayge_

Kotaku commenters are... worse than GameFAQs members. I love/hate it.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_A_Drain

Yeah I don't post there at all, I just thought it was a bit of an odd way to treat your users, and encourage the kind of posting most of their gold star members partake in, seems counter-productive to me :\

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Hamz

Kotaku is a bloody horrid site to begin with so I question why anyone wants to visit there. The 'news' they post is poorly written garbage in its quality. Horrible site, horrible editorial staff and the comments are like any other on the internet, non-sensical.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By Atlas

I don't know what's more pointless; creating a post on a gaming website to complain about a comments feature on another gaming website, or me making this post questioning it.

PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PowerSerj
@Hamz: Quality notwithstanding, they are one of the best sites for breaking news related to video games (sometimes a little too tangential, and sometimes a bit too hasty, but w/e).
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Hamz said:
" Kotaku is a bloody horrid site to begin with so I question why anyone wants to visit there. The 'news' they post is poorly written garbage in its quality. Horrible site, horrible editorial staff and the comments are like any other on the internet, non-sensical. "
Ah, so long as we're not treading on eggshells haha, i'll fully agree. I simply go there because they post up the most stuff and I follow the source links and form my own opinions on the actual news. I've discussed my opinions on Kotaku and their irresponsible behaviour around here somewhere before. 
ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ververdan0226
@Hamz said:
" Kotaku is a bloody horrid site to begin with so I question why anyone wants to visit there. The 'news' they post is poorly written garbage in its quality. Horrible site, horrible editorial staff and the comments are like any other on the internet, non-sensical. "
Well played Hamz, well played. I totally agree.
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By apathylad
@The_A_Drain said:
" @Hamz said:
Ah, so long as we're not treading on eggshells haha, i'll fully agree. I simply go there because they post up the most stuff and I follow the source links and form my own opinions on the actual news. I've discussed my opinions on Kotaku and their irresponsible behaviour around here somewhere before. 
"

Huh? I'm a bit unfamiliar with what you're alluding to. Is this in regards to the CAG vs. Kotaku thing? I'm not defending Kotaku, I'm just curious what this is about.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By JJOR64

I don't pay attention to the comments.  I just pay attention to the articles.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Illmatic

The only site where I read comments after articles is in fact Giant Bomb. Kotaku is usually filled with snarky replies, 1up comments often feel jaded, and GameTrailers is overrun by system fanboys. Don't get me wrong, these of course exist on all sites, but Giant Bomb seems to be hit by these people the least. This might be due to the laid back nature of the site and the people who run it as a whole.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By subject2change

Atleast Kotaku gets you news when it is NEWS not hours after the fact. Don't get me wrong I love GiantBomb to death, its a great community compared to Kotaku and other gaming sites but they are always just late on news. No site is perfect and using one source for everything is going to put in the same mindset as that one site, vary it up and try to ignore the things you dislike.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By damswedon

Kotaku is The Sun of the gaming world.
you may as well give a trilby with a card that say PRESS to a retard in the band, and you would get the same results.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By EvilTwin
@Subject2Change said:
" Atleast Kotaku gets you news when it is NEWS not hours after the fact. Don't get me wrong I love GiantBomb to death, its a great community compared to Kotaku and other gaming sites but they are always just late on news. No site is perfect and using one source for everything is going to put in the same mindset as that one site, vary it up and try to ignore the things you dislike. "
Do we really need GB for news, though?  An RSS feed can give you all the news about video games you'd ever want.  I just come to GB to hear their opinions on the stuff they do care about. 
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By sjschmidt93

Kotaku sucks anyway, I mean their site layout is horrendous.

Joystiq is where it's at.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Otacon

I rarely ever comment on Kotaku but I occasionally read comments, the new system is a little annoying.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#19  Edited By sjschmidt93
@EvilTwin:

All the GB writer's add a little humor and twist to every new story they right, unlike any other site.
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By yakov456

Who cares about the comments, it's video game news that I'm interested in. Not what some 15 year old kid with an inflated ego thinks.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jayge_
@Subject2Change said:
" Atleast Kotaku gets you news when it is NEWS not hours after the fact. Don't get me wrong I love GiantBomb to death, its a great community compared to Kotaku and other gaming sites but they are always just late on news. No site is perfect and using one source for everything is going to put in the same mindset as that one site, vary it up and try to ignore the things you dislike. "
LOL. You do realize this is SLOWTAKU we're talking about here, right?
Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Cheapoz
@Hamz: Were you the mod who PM'd me about my Fauxtaku thread?

Oh, and Jayge, you're looking for Fauxtaku.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23  Edited By Icemael
@Hamz said:
"horrible editorial staff "
Except Owen Good. You can say what you want about the others -- I couldn't care less -- but you do not talk shit about Owen Good.
Ulquiorra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Ulquiorra
@The_A_Drain: Another site ruined by a crappy commenting system. *sigh
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hamz
@Cheapoz said:
"@Hamz: Were you the mod who PM'd me about my Fauxtaku thread?"
Maybe? I don't really know.

@Icemael said:
" @Hamz said:
Except Owen Good. You can say what you want about the others -- I couldn't care less -- but you do  not talk shit about Owen Good. "
Sorry buddy but I totally am. None of the editors there have ever struck me as good at their job.
subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By subject2change
@EvilTwin said:
" @Subject2Change said:
Do we really need GB for news, though?  An RSS feed can give you all the news about video games you'd ever want.  I just come to GB to hear their opinions on the stuff they do care about.  "
O absolutely GB gives great opinions, I feel they give honest reviews and have great behind the scenes sort of deal as well and an excellent gaming community especially compared to a corporate stiff gaming site. Don't really use RSS feeds and I generally browse the internet at work (yay for getting paid for that) so reading up on stories kills time for me and going to other sources delivers that to me. However you can't really thing that they actually care about everything they have opinions on; look at most of their quick looks DragonBall Evolution, Leisure Suit Larry, etc they don't care about them but it has great comedic value and brings in more users.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27  Edited By Icemael
@Hamz said:
"@Icemael said:
" @Hamz said:
Except Owen Good. You can say what you want about the others -- I couldn't care less -- but you do  not talk shit about Owen Good. "
Sorry buddy but I totally am. None of the editors there have ever struck me as good at their job. "
Are you saying that Owen isn't Good at his job?
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Icemael said:
"@Hamz said:
"@Icemael said:
" @Hamz said:
Sorry buddy but I totally am. None of the editors there have ever struck me as good at their job. "
"

I'd say that for sure. All he does is post tripe over the weekends to keep the site ticking, and whenever he does make a comment of his own it's misinformed or irrelevant.

Not a patch on Luke Plunkett, I thoroughly despise that flamebaiting, over-opinionated, self indulgent, snidey, etc etc. He's the worst writer for miles imo.
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By apathylad
@The_A_Drain said:
" @Icemael said:
"@Hamz said:
"@Icemael said:
" @Hamz said:
"
I'd say that for sure. All he does is post tripe over the weekends to keep the site ticking, and whenever he does make a comment of his own it's misinformed or irrelevant.Not a patch on Luke Plunkett, I thoroughly despise that flamebaiting, over-opinionated, self indulgent, snidey, etc etc. He's the worst writer for miles imo. "
I usually don't associate any article with any person. Usually I just see it X article by "some Kotaku guy". Do you have any  personal favorite articles showing off Plunkett at his best? :P
evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By evanbrau

Kotaku and its community are almost as elitist and snobby as the people at NeoGaf and make as much sense as your typical gamefaq poster. Also agreeing that the site is pretty poorly written in general.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By Scooper
@Hamz said:
Aw, come on, Hamz. Tell us how you really feel.