LITERATURE

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

Edited By Lies

So guys... reading. It's pretty cool. It's like video games but without the pew pew and the interactivity. Anyways I've been in a bit of a book phase recently, figured I'd write up some short thoughts on the books I've read recently.

The Road is a post-apocalyptic book by Cormac McCarthy (NO IT IS NOT LIKE FALLOUT SHUT YOUR GODDAMN MOUTH). Honestly, one of the most depressing books I have read in my life. It's incredibly well-written and told, but it's a huge downer. The end of the world can be like that sometimes. The story follows a man and his child as they travel through a decimated America. It's a deeply personal story and it really connected with me. The book is short and reads easy (Except for the lack of quotation marks- McCarthy has a phobia of them or something) and I'd definitely reccomend it. Still- it kind of makes you want to give up on life; it's terribly depressing. But good, I cannot stress that enough. Depressing, but great. There's also a feature film coming out this October if your parents never taught you to read.

This is the latest novel by Richard Price, whose novel Clockers inspired The Wire. I heard an interesting interview with him on NPR's Fresh Air and decided to pick it up. It's characterized as a social breakdown of the Lower East Side- the contrast between the hipsters of today and the poor gangs of yesteryear- but this is a bit misleading. The story revolves around a murder of a young bartender by a pair of disenfranchised minority kids and the ensuing investigation. The book is honestly much more of a police procedural than I anticipated. It's a good-even great- police story, but that wasn't exactly what it was billed as. Price writes well, but I was a bit miffed at being decieved.

Haha yeah, I know. Went back and hit this up again in anticipation of Halo: Reach. It's essentially an action-movie in book form, but it provides some great background into the Halo Universe and the Spartan-II program. This is the only Halo novel worth investigating, the rest aren't great unless you're SUPER into the Halo story. Reads real easy if anyone's interested, and it should be awesome to get to PLAY the story of Reach finally in 2010.

Just started in on this one, it's an examination of the modern food industry. Reading up on industrial corn right now (it's in a lot of stuff). Can't pass judgment on this one yet as I'm not too far in.

Still have American Lion, Neuromancer, and Snow Crash sitting in my to-read pile. But I'll be through those quick. Recommend me something new. Or just post about what you've been reading. As always, comments are great :)

IN OTHER NEWS

• I somewhat agree with Endogene's farewell blog (more later maybe?)
  • Things break- Couldn't get my 360 to play online today- it red-ringed- now it plays online perfectly O_O Probably need to send it in for repairs soon though :( Red Rings don't happen in isolation.
Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#1  Edited By Lies

So guys... reading. It's pretty cool. It's like video games but without the pew pew and the interactivity. Anyways I've been in a bit of a book phase recently, figured I'd write up some short thoughts on the books I've read recently.

The Road is a post-apocalyptic book by Cormac McCarthy (NO IT IS NOT LIKE FALLOUT SHUT YOUR GODDAMN MOUTH). Honestly, one of the most depressing books I have read in my life. It's incredibly well-written and told, but it's a huge downer. The end of the world can be like that sometimes. The story follows a man and his child as they travel through a decimated America. It's a deeply personal story and it really connected with me. The book is short and reads easy (Except for the lack of quotation marks- McCarthy has a phobia of them or something) and I'd definitely reccomend it. Still- it kind of makes you want to give up on life; it's terribly depressing. But good, I cannot stress that enough. Depressing, but great. There's also a feature film coming out this October if your parents never taught you to read.

This is the latest novel by Richard Price, whose novel Clockers inspired The Wire. I heard an interesting interview with him on NPR's Fresh Air and decided to pick it up. It's characterized as a social breakdown of the Lower East Side- the contrast between the hipsters of today and the poor gangs of yesteryear- but this is a bit misleading. The story revolves around a murder of a young bartender by a pair of disenfranchised minority kids and the ensuing investigation. The book is honestly much more of a police procedural than I anticipated. It's a good-even great- police story, but that wasn't exactly what it was billed as. Price writes well, but I was a bit miffed at being decieved.

Haha yeah, I know. Went back and hit this up again in anticipation of Halo: Reach. It's essentially an action-movie in book form, but it provides some great background into the Halo Universe and the Spartan-II program. This is the only Halo novel worth investigating, the rest aren't great unless you're SUPER into the Halo story. Reads real easy if anyone's interested, and it should be awesome to get to PLAY the story of Reach finally in 2010.

Just started in on this one, it's an examination of the modern food industry. Reading up on industrial corn right now (it's in a lot of stuff). Can't pass judgment on this one yet as I'm not too far in.

Still have American Lion, Neuromancer, and Snow Crash sitting in my to-read pile. But I'll be through those quick. Recommend me something new. Or just post about what you've been reading. As always, comments are great :)

IN OTHER NEWS

• I somewhat agree with Endogene's farewell blog (more later maybe?)
  • Things break- Couldn't get my 360 to play online today- it red-ringed- now it plays online perfectly O_O Probably need to send it in for repairs soon though :( Red Rings don't happen in isolation.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By jeffgoldblum
@Lies said:
" So guys... reading. It's pretty cool. It's like video games but without the pew pew and the interactivity."
Haha We know what reading is...
At least most of us do...
I think.
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ahriman22

I'm currently reading two books, yes at the same time.

The 8th Confession by James Patterson and Devil Bones by Kathy Reichs.

Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By gingertastic_10

i loved the road, it was fantastic.....give creepers a try, it has a great amount of action in it, and has some good plot twist in it.....im reading the protector right now (its by the same author as creepers)...to give a discription, its like taken.....but replace the daughter with a scientist lol

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By zitosilva

A pretty diverse list if I may say so; I felt the same way you did about Richard Price. Saw an interview with him in which he said all those things about the Lower East Side and such. Then I bought Freedomland, which is nothing like he described. It felt like I was reading and episode of Law and Order, which isn't really a good thing.

And I also (partially) agree with Endogene's farewell. Hopefully it isn't definitive. But it doesn't look like so.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ahriman22
@gingertastic_10: Considering the fact that you read, I would expect that you know how to write properly.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By gingertastic_10
@ahriman22: yes, i can write properly....i just like writting bad....much easier
Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Termite

I read The Road quite a while ago and I must say, I didn't find it all that depressing. The ending is hopeful and (possible spoiler) the father doesn't die in vain.

ponyslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ponyslayer

The Road is fantastic, McCarthy is a great storyteller currently reading All the Pretty Horses by him as well as Bless Me, Agatha for class. Finished Malcolm Gladwell's Blink very interesting if your into thought process and cognitive reasoning.
 also sorta agree with endogene's farewell blog, that being said I'm fairly new to the forums part of the site.

Avatar image for deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d
deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

If you liked The Road you should checkout Blood Meridian also by Cormac McCarthy. It shares some of the central  themes as The Road and is also very depressing.
ponyslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ponyslayer

also thanks for mentioning the novel that inspired The Wire, had no idea. I'll be picking that up soon now.

just started the 3rd season and still amazed at how well controlled the narrative is.

well clockers and Homicide: a year on the killing streets

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kmdrkul
@Lies:The Road was nothing short of fantastic. 
Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Expletive

The Road is one of my favorite novels of all time

AlzoXP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By AlzoXP

The Road sounds right up my street.

I'm currently reading House of Leaves man that book is heavy going but it is awesome.  Worth checking out if you like wierd books.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By JJOR64

I heard the Halo novels where pretty good.

Jason_Miami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Jason_Miami

Wtf? No Ender's Game? I think Halo's universe is a shitty hack job of a hack job so no thanks on that but I've been meaning to check out The Road but I'm waiting for the movie so I don't come into it with that bias. Also, The Wire is the greatest show ever so I'll definitely check out that other book. Thanks for the list.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By matthew
@Lies said:
" I somewhat agree with Endogene's farewell blog (more later maybe?)"
Yes. I'm going to post my thoughts after the liquor in me has passed through, and after a good 8 hour sleep :D
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By sweep  Moderator

The inclusion of a Halo novel in a blog titled "Literature" offends me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Enjoy the books. I consider the art form to be quite dated, simply because of how much of a chore it is to understand a book, and how painful your eyes can be when reading eye-straining text while leaning your neck straight down, creating back aches.

I personally cannot get into books. I gain grammar and writing knowledge by reading articles, blogs, and subtitles from games and movies.

nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nvmfst
@Sweep said:
" The inclusion of a Halo novel in a blog titled "Literature" offends me. "
I agree-- I'd say the same for fan fiction too.

I'm currently reading Ulysses by James Joyce and Cathedral by Raymond Carver.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By crunchUK
@Sweep said:
You read the gears of war novel though... :|
Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Oni
@crunchUK said:
" @Sweep said:
You read the gears of war novel though... :| "
Gotta give it to Crunch here, that's even worse than Halo fiction!

Anyway, @ Lies: I cannot recommend George R.R. Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" saga enough. It's technically fantasy, but I feel that's such a dirty word, so I know the feeling, you're thinking "oh, fantasy, pshaw" but those are seriously amazing books with the best, most memorable characters I've ever come across, anywhere. Try the first book, A Game of Thrones, and if you don't want to keep reading after the first 100 pages I will personally reimburse you! :)
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sweep  Moderator
@crunchUK said:
" @Sweep said:
Yeah but I openly admit it's complete bollocks. You would know that if you read my blog, bellface.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By crunchUK
@Sweep said:
" @crunchUK said:
" @Sweep said:
Yeah but I openly admit it's complete bollocks. You would know that if you read my blog, bellface. "
I could have sworn you said you liked it somewhere...
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Well yeah, there's a difference between liking and and knowing it's bollocks. I like Snakes On A Plane but i'm hardly going to nominate it for an Oscar.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By eric_buck

YEAH LIKZ BUKZ BUT URZ R DIFRYNT THN TEH BUKZ I RED.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By Claude

I've heard Michael Pollan interviewed many times on National Public Radio. His name and what he writes about cracks me up every time.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By Tylea002

You were one "..." away from a copyright lawsuit, my friend.

In Other News...

• Books are cool. I agree.

THATS MA THING BRO.

Joking aside, books do rule, keep reading everyone!
nvmfst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nvmfst

Hear about the guy who's writing the sequel to J.D. Salinger's The Catcher and the Rye? Salinger is pissed! I am convinced it's Zombie Salinger though. He has to be old.

In other news.... I recommend Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Good. Day.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RandomHero666

I don't read much, most books don't appeal to my tastes, but if you haven't, which would be weird, u should all read The Hobbit, if reading about someones addiction to heroin appeals to you, try Dreamseller, its funny, sad, and a very good read imo.

Avatar image for lilburtonboy7489
lilburtonboy7489

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lilburtonboy7489

The Road is an overpriced book still....i'll read it when it's not a rip off.

Until then, I'll be working on:

A Farewell to Arms, Brothers Kamarazov, A Tale of Two Cities, The Jungle, America's Great Depression, Conceived in Liberty (volume 1), and On the Wealth of Nations