Looking into getting a new MP3 player...

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

So I've got this 6-year-old Creative Zen Xtra 60GB, and the hard drive in it is finally starting to fail (thankfully, I have it synced with my computer, so nothing'll be lost) and now I'm looking for a new MP3 player to get. A couple things I'm looking for include:

• Not an Apple product
  • Built-in FM transmitter (not required, but it'd be nice)
  • High capacity (music library is 25GB)

That's about it. Just about anything is better than this thing, though. Let me know what you'd suggest! Thanks.
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By JJOR64

Well, get a Zune then.  My 80gb Zune isn't an Apple product, has built-in FM, and it's a high capacity.  Also with the newest update for it, it has a couple of free games.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Vinchenzo
AnimZero said:
"So I've got this 6-year-old Creative Zen Xtra 60GB, and the hard drive in it is finally starting to fail (thankfully, I have it synced with my computer, so nothing'll be lost) and now I'm looking for a new MP3 player to get. A couple things I'm looking for include:

• Not an Apple product
  • Built-in FM transmitter (not required, but it'd be nice)
  • High capacity (music library is 25GB)
That's about it. Just about anything is better than this thing, though. Let me know what you'd suggest! Thanks."
I recommend a Zune. It's not Apple, therefore it's not overrated. It has built-in radio. The lowest models run 30GB but I think their highest is 120GB and a few in-between (like an 80).
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By DJ_Lae

You're pretty much limited with a Zune if you want large capacity. Few manufacturers make hard drive based players any more.

I guess there are some Archon players, but they're huge and unwieldy.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jayge_

80 gig Zune. It's much nicer looking than the 120 and for most people it far exceeds your capacital needs. One thing you might not like is the forced software integration, but it manages ID3 tags pretty damn well (it organized all of mine, I'm too lazy to do it myself) and I like it a lot. It also has great FM reception.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By FCKSNAP

iPod touch really. Anything else you might as well go down to BestBuy and get the first thing you'll see as there is no difference in what you're getting. Unless you get a PSP, which is great for Podcasts and Internet radio.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Thanks for the suggestions, but just to clarify, what I meant by an FM transmitter is that it can transmit to radio stations, so I can tune into my MP3 player from my car radio, since I don't have an MP3 jack.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#8  Edited By Vinchenzo
AnimZero said:
"Thanks for the suggestions, but just to clarify, what I meant by an FM transmitter is that it can transmit to radio stations, so I can tune into my MP3 player from my car radio, since I don't have an MP3 jack."
The Zune has an accessory for that. Let me find it...

K. Something like this then.
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
Vinchenzo said:
"AnimZero said:
"Thanks for the suggestions, but just to clarify, what I meant by an FM transmitter is that it can transmit to radio stations, so I can tune into my MP3 player from my car radio, since I don't have an MP3 jack."

K. Something like this then."
Actually, yeah, that's exactly like what I'd be looking for.
Thanks guys! I think I'm probably going to get a Zune then.
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By ahriman22
AnimZero said:
"Vinchenzo said:
"AnimZero said:

Actually, yeah, that's exactly like what I'd be looking for.Thanks guys! I think I'm probably going to get a Zune then."
I've gone through alot of MP3 players in my time, Ipods, ipod touchs(?), Creatives, Zunes and so on.
Out of the amount I've gone through, only one has been good (Well 2 kinda') the Zen X-Fi (32GB), not only does it looks great, it's got the usual ZEN UI, which I like.
The EQ is still there, which I love and the screen is great (Not that I watch movies, just pointing it out if you like pictures/videos).
I can't come up with stuff on the fly, but Creative is the often forgotten company due to Microsoft's crap and Apple's shit (And their stupid horde of followers).

Make the right choice, get another Creative, at least they have a longer life that 1.5 years.
inkeiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By inkeiren

Ahriman beat me to it, but I was going to say if money is not a major issue to look into whether or not getting a Zen would be a good option for you.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BigBoss1911

Just get an ipod.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
ahriman22 said:
"AnimZero said:
"Vinchenzo said:
"AnimZero said:

Actually, yeah, that's exactly like what I'd be looking for.Thanks guys! I think I'm probably going to get a Zune then."
I've gone through alot of MP3 players in my time, Ipods, ipod touchs(?), Creatives, Zunes and so on.Out of the amount I've gone through, only one has been good (Well 2 kinda') the Zen X-Fi (32GB), not only does it looks great, it's got the usual ZEN UI, which I like.The EQ is still there, which I love and the screen is great (Not that I watch movies, just pointing it out if you like pictures/videos).I can't come up with stuff on the fly, but Creative is the often forgotten company due to Microsoft's crap and Apple's shit (And their stupid horde of followers).Make the right choice, get another Creative, at least they have a longer life that 1.5 years."
Hmm, yeah, maybe. I was very happy with my Zen Xtra for as long as it's lasted, even though it's ginormous and loud, but that's mostly because it's from 2003. If I got another Creative product, the software transition on my computer would be lessened greatly, especially because I have a Creative sound card.

BigBoss1911 said:
"Just get an ipod."
Nah. (:
Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Zune is your friend, has all you want.

I have an Ipod for now but I'm going to get a Zune soon.
angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By angelkanarias
BigBoss1911 said:
"Just get an ipod."
Agreed, why would you not wan't an ipod...
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jayge_
ahriman22 said:
"AnimZero said:
"Vinchenzo said:
"AnimZero said:

I've gone through alot of MP3 players in my time, Ipods, ipod touchs(?), Creatives, Zunes and so on.Out of the amount I've gone through, only one has been good (Well 2 kinda') the Zen X-Fi (32GB), not only does it looks great, it's got the usual ZEN UI, which I like.The EQ is still there, which I love and the screen is great (Not that I watch movies, just pointing it out if you like pictures/videos).I can't come up with stuff on the fly, but Creative is the often forgotten company due to Microsoft's crap and Apple's shit (And their stupid horde of followers).Make the right choice, get another Creative, at least they have a longer life that 1.5 years."
I'm a huge Creative fan and I own 3 of their players, but they really aren't much competition in comparison to the Zune in terms of non-Apple PMPs. Hardware-wise they are spectacular, but their firmware just doesn't hold up anymore.
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
angelkanarias said:
"BigBoss1911 said:
"Just get an ipod."
"
I hate working with iTunes and the idea of having the same MP3 player as everyone else. Working with the wheel's also a pain, and I can probably get an equivalent or better MP3 player for cheaper.
Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#18  Edited By Eder

Don't be such a snob and get an Ipod. Or just get a Zune but I have an Ipod and it works fine.

AnimZero said:

"angelkanarias said:
"BigBoss1911 said:
"Just get an ipod."
"
I hate working with iTunes and the idea of having the same MP3 player as everyone else. Working with the wheel's also a pain, and I can probably get an equivalent or better MP3 player for cheaper."

Ok so by this logic I am so getting rid of my 360, PS3 and Wii. A bunch of people have those so I'll be a cool kid and get a Jaguar or a Gizmondo. Not trying to insult but I think this logic is kinda dumb. I've thought the same way once and once I stopped caring I've been a way happier person, you know, by just getting what I want and can get.
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#19  Edited By gla55jAw

Buy a freggin ipod. Buy the fm transmitter if u must. although quality wise your better off if ur stereo has a tape deck or aux input. I'm not an apple person, but ive been perfectly happy with my ipod. itunes is great compared to windows media player. just but applecare and your set.

Shadowsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shadowsquire

I would definately reccomend the zune and am happy to see most others are doing the same. I've had my 1st gen 30gb zune (the old one without the touch pad) for about 2 and a half years now and it's still going strong. I am very happy with it. The only complaints I have EVER had about my zune are the lack of a clock and the lack of games. AND VOILA! Microsoft fixes both those gripes with one fell swoop and a single update to the firmware. There have been so many firmware updates over the two years that I am actually under the impression that microsoft actually cares about improving the zune and keeping their fanbase happy. Also microsoft is apparently developing the "Zune HD". So unless you can hang on to your current zen and wait for the HD, then I would reccomend the zune.

Edit: ^ to the people that keep telling the guy to get an ipod: He has already decided he doesn't want to become a mindless apple zombie. Leave him be.
Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Babble

I don't own a Zune but I know someone who does and they are really nice from what I have seen. It has everything you listend in the OP.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jayge_
Eder said:
"Don't be such a snob and get an Ipod. Or just get a Zune but I have an Ipod and it works fine.

AnimZero said:
"angelkanarias said:
"BigBoss1911 said:
"Just get an ipod."
"
I hate working with iTunes and the idea of having the same MP3 player as everyone else. Working with the wheel's also a pain, and I can probably get an equivalent or better MP3 player for cheaper."
Ok so by this logic I am so getting rid of my 360, PS3 and Wii. A bunch of people have those so I'll be a cool kid and get a Jaguar or a Gizmondo. Not trying to insult but I think this logic is kinda dumb. I've thought the same way once and once I stopped caring I've been a way happier person, you know, by just getting what I want and can get."
Nobody ever said it was logical, it's just a preference he has. Nobody is forcing you to conform to it.
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
Jayge said:
"Eder said:
"Don't be such a snob and get an Ipod. Or just get a Zune but I have an Ipod and it works fine.

AnimZero said:
"angelkanarias said:
"BigBoss1911 said:
"Just get an ipod."
"
Ok so by this logic I am so getting rid of my 360, PS3 and Wii. A bunch of people have those so I'll be a cool kid and get a Jaguar or a Gizmondo. Not trying to insult but I think this logic is kinda dumb. I've thought the same way once and once I stopped caring I've been a way happier person, you know, by just getting what I want and can get."
Nobody ever said it was logical, it's just a preference he has. Nobody is forcing you to conform to it.
"
Exactly. I had a bad feeling that saying that I don't want an iPod would get me flamed for not wanting an iPod, but seriously, it's just my preference, and by being a jerk about it just makes your product preference look less appealing to me.

Back on topic, though, I'm pretty much narrowed down to either a Zune or a Creative X-Fi 32GB. They both seem like pretty nice players. I might lean to the Zune since the Creative X-Fi's SD port is apparently not so great.
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Karmum

Zune, you will love it. Mine is broken though after 15 months, because of a fucking headphone jack. Out-of-warranty price? $160, and I intend on getting an Apple product now, which sucks.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RetroIce4
JJOR64 said:
"Well, get a Zune then.  My 80gb Zune isn't an Apple product, has built-in FM, and it's a high capacity.  Also with the newest update for it, it has a couple of free games."
Is there a way you can get those games back? I updated my firmware and over time they just went away. Its still the latest too.
Avatar image for darkenzanarikado
DarkEnzanArikado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DarkEnzanArikado

I think you can download the games again through the Zune software. But I am not sure completely. Isn't there a F.A.Q. on the Microsoft Website?

Shadowsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shadowsquire

Yes you can download them again through the zune software. Its in your settings.

Hausdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Hausdog

For Zune, the hardware rocks but the software is horrible. It's a 45 MB version of Windows Media Player that you absolutely need. Still, it's a good MP3 player. If you didn't have 25 gigs I would've recommended a Sansa Clip, which is 4 or 8 GB and only 80 dollars.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I'd go for a Zune .

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By carlthenimrod

Zunes are pretty great. The 80 GB comes with some badass headphones.