Manditory Drug Tests

• 168 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sprizmo

I don't know what you guys in the UK and other countries have to deal with, but here in the US of stupid A have to deal with something called Pre-Employment Drug Screening. More often than not in order to get a job, you're hair or urine must be tested to determine if you are what they would generalize as being a "druggy" and thus unfit to work. 

As a responsible, avid pot smoker this really gets on my nerves. A totally clean pedaphile murdering freak could get a job somewhere, but because I like to relax with a joint in my off hours, I get segregated. I strongly feel that somebody should be hired based on their character and ability to do the work, and not what we do on our own PRIVATE time outside of the job. 

I'd also be interested to know how employers in other countries operate when it comes to this. What say you all?

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By diz

give it up

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Afroman269

Ehh, if I know I'm going to apply at a place that does that, I'll stop and detox for a good bit before taking the test. It sucks but my complaining isn't going to change anything. Oh and get ready for the weed haters to get all up in here. 

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

They should replace the drug screenings with spelling tests.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Example1013
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
Imo grammer is more important. Sentance sturcture is necessary to being readalbe.
Jesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Jesus

Just detox ahead of time, man.

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

Alright, this made me laugh.
Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Karl_Boss

No a pedophile could not get a job anywhere, sex offenders probably have an extremely tough time getting jobs.....and if you want a good job you're going to have to give it up, whether you agree or not its still an illegal activity and companies have every right to not higher someone who breaks the law.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Bollard
@example1013 said:
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
Imo grammer is more important. Sentance sturcture is necessary to being readalbe.
I literally have no idea what you just said.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By crusader8463

I agree that smoking weed should be legal as long as it's legal to smoke and drink now, but if you choose to do it then you accept the social stigmas that come with it. If you show up to job interviews stinking of weed then don't expect to get a job there, just like if you show up stinking of booze.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Example1013
@Chavtheworld: Dnt gimme that. u no wat it sez.
Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Animasta
@Chavtheworld said:
@example1013 said:
@TheSeductiveMoose said:
I literally have no idea what you just said.
and that's why it's more important! he was teaching you a very important lesson.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Claude

I'm just waiting for a world like Gattaca to come along and test my DNA and say no thanks for employment because I might get cancer or some shit in twenty years.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By melcene
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
No a pedophile could not get a job anywhere, sex offenders probably have an extremely tough time getting jobs.....and if you want a good job you're going to have to give it up, whether you agree or not its still an illegal activity and companies have every right to not higher someone who breaks the law.
This.   Also, even if it becomes legal, I think many employers will still choose to screen and not to hire on that basis.  They can already choose not to hire people if they smoke cigarettes.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Claude
@melcene said:
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
This.   Also, even if it becomes legal, I think many employers will still choose to screen and not to hire on that basis.  They can already choose not to hire people if they smoke cigarettes.
Actually, the poster said a clean pedophile. That would mean someone not yet with a record.
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sprizmo

I have been detoxing, I haven't touched the stuff in a month as I am trying to get a decent job. It just sucks that a personal lifestyle choice - one that I truly believe to be less destructive than alcohol - is still a determining factor in my worthiness as an employee. @melcene said:

@Unknown_Pleasures said:
Also, I kind of meant pedaphiles or murderers who haven't accrued a record. You know, the one's that get away with it.
Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@Sprizmo said:
I don't know what you guys in the UK and other countries have to deal with, but here in the US of stupid A have to deal with something called Pre-Employment Drug Screening. More often than not in order to get a job, you're hair or urine must be tested to determine if you are what they would generalize as being a "druggy" and thus unfit to work.   As a responsible, avid pot smoker this really gets on my nerves. A totally clean pedaphile murdering freak could get a job somewhere, but because I like to relax with a joint in my off hours, I get segregated. I strongly feel that somebody should be hired based on their character and ability to do the work, and not what we do on our own PRIVATE time outside of the job.   I'd also be interested to know how employers in other countries operate when it comes to this. What say you all?
Dont smoke pot. Easy as that. 
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Example1013
@melcene said:
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
See, I'd actually dispute this, though. True burnout potheads wouldn't ever aply for a real job, since they wouldn't want to work. It's why you find them at McDonald's and Taco Bell: that job is 90% standing around doing nothing. So someone who applies for a job where he has to actually work is likely a motivated, hard-working individual, for which his choice to consume marijuana is a small part of his life, and in no way hinders his ability to work. Plus most states usually legalize it first for only medical reasons, meaning if a person has a card, the employer can't do shit, or it'd be discrimination.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Afroman269
@Sprizmo said:
I have been detoxing, I haven't touched the stuff in a month as I am trying to get a decent job. It just sucks that a personal lifestyle choice - one that I truly believe to be less destructive than alcohol - is still a determining factor in my worthiness as an employee. @melcene said:
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
Also, I kind of meant pedaphiles or murderers who haven't accrued a record. You know, the one's that get away with it.
Well then how the hell do you know that they killed someone if they "got away with it"? A situation like that is kinda ridiculous. It's not like a job will have a special test that will detect murderers/pedophiles who escaped conviction. 
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sprizmo
@example1013 said:
@melcene said:
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
See, I'd actually dispute this, though. True burnout potheads wouldn't ever aply for a real job, since they wouldn't want to work. It's why you find them at McDonald's and Taco Bell: that job is 90% standing around doing nothing. So someone who applies for a job where he has to actually work is likely a motivated, hard-working individual, for which his choice to consume marijuana is a small part of his life, and in no way hinders his ability to work. Plus most states usually legalize it first for only medical reasons, meaning if a person has a card, the employer can't do shit, or it'd be discrimination.
Not only that, but I have found after being alive 33 years on this earth, that Alcoholics and binge drinkers are far more reckless, stupid, and corrupt than pot smokers. I would bet my comic book collection that this is an ultimate truth.
Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I feel your pain man. Luckily my job is a temporary "Just do it until you get out of school" job where if they drug tested half the place would be empty. It's absolutely retarded that testing positive for Marijuana can put your job in jeopardy. You can swig nips and rip butts during your lunch break but Christ forbid you ever touch weed. There's not much you can do, I'm afraid, but suck it up and take the dry spell.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I am totally not going to ever pee in a cup for a drug test. I've never done any drugs in my life, but I would flatout refuse.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By veektarius

I've worked five jobs (all in the 21st century), a Denny's, a Friendly's, a college bookstore, a university, and a market research firm.  I have never been screened for drugs.  Would pass if I were, but haven't needed to.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Dagbiker
@Sprizmo said:
I don't know what you guys in the UK and other countries have to deal with, but here in the US of stupid A have to deal with something called Pre-Employment Drug Screening. More often than not in order to get a job, you're hair or urine must be tested to determine if you are what they would generalize as being a "druggy" and thus unfit to work.   As a responsible, avid pot smoker this really gets on my nerves. A totally clean pedaphile murdering freak could get a job somewhere, but because I like to relax with a joint in my off hours, I get segregated. I strongly feel that somebody should be hired based on their character and ability to do the work, and not what we do on our own PRIVATE time outside of the job.   I'd also be interested to know how employers in other countries operate when it comes to this. What say you all?

You are being judged on your character, and that character should not smoke pot.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Afroman269
@example1013 said:
@melcene said:
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
If the guy was responsible and smart, he would realize that setting aside weed to obtain a good job is more important than complaining about drug tests. I think that drug tests suck but I would rather stop smoking than continuing to "fight the system". This society thinks weed is some sort of devil plant and it's very unlikely that that will change for a while, so I have no problem playing along if it means that I'll get a decent job. 
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Example1013
@Afroman269 said:
@example1013 said:
@melcene said:
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
If the guy was responsible and smart, he would realize that setting aside weed to obtain a good job is more important than complaining about drug tests. I think that drug tests suck but I would rather stop smoking than continuing to "fight the system". This society thinks weed is some sort of devil plant and it's very unlikely that that will change for a while, so I have no problem playing along if it means that I'll get a decent job. 
I see no reason why he can't both set aside weed and complain about the test. ;)
Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By Nadafinga
@Sprizmo said:
@example1013 said:
 Alcoholics and binge drinkers are far more reckless, stupid, and corrupt than pot smokers.
I agree with this. 
I'm positive that there's people that you know, work with, or are related to that smoke pot that you'd never in a million years suspect. We don't all sit around giggling at cartoons, eating junk food and have with "xx_420_PhAtBLUNTS_xx" gamer tags. Those people give us responsible users a bad name.
Commando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Commando

I've been drug tested 3 times. First was by my parents when I was 15 years old, they thought I was doing drugs. I passed
Second one was by my school when I was 16 years old, they thought I was doing drugs. I passed 
Third one was by my second employer when I was 18 years old just because it's required by them. I passed. 

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Example1013
@Nadafinga: Well, the thing about pot smokers is that the amount of THC consumed from smoking isn't enough to cause damage to your body, whereas alcohol is a poison, and thus alcoholics are slowly killing themselves with the chemical they're addicted to. Smoking causes issues no matter what you're burning and inhaling, but that's separate from the substance itself.
EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By EpicSteve

I'm all for drug screenings before getting a job. My only civilian jobs have been pre-school teaching and security, those industries seem to demand an employee be screened. A background check is demanded my employers as well. Don't be that guy that says "fuck, the system doesn't allow me to break the law!".  

Keep in mind that if you're actively breaking the law, you run the risk of getting caught. To an employer, you're a risk. What happens when you get arrested before a shift? 

Avatar image for reptheplantdawg420
RepThePlantDawg420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

al tha bs drug testn. let peopl liv the plant man. its gods gift. we shuld all liv the plant. no hate.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Sprizmo
@Axxol: I'm trying to address the validity of the process, not how I can dodge the end result. Sure I could stop smoking pot (and I have briefly) but what about alcoholics? They get to drink and drink and drink.  
@Afroman269 said:

Well then how the hell do you know that they killed someone if they "got away with it"? A situation like that is kinda ridiculous. It's not like a job will have a special test that will detect murderers/pedophiles who escaped conviction. 

Forget the murderers statement, it was hyperbole. Lets go with alcoholics. Is that more reasonable?
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Afroman269
@example1013: Fair enough. 

@Sprizmo:  Yes.
Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dagbiker
@Sprizmo said:
@Axxol: I'm trying to address the validity of the process, not how I can dodge the end result. Sure I could stop smoking pot (and I have briefly) but what about alcoholics? They get to drink and drink and drink.  
@Afroman269 said:

Forget the murderers statement, it was hyperbole. Lets go with alcoholics. Is that more reasonable?
Im sure if you go to work drunk you will be fired.
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sprizmo
@Dagbiker said:
Im sure if you go to work drunk you will be fired.

I do not smoke before or during work. Soooo...

@froesti said:

In germany, this is kinda unheard of and considered an invasion of your personal space, if I remember correctly. I think it´s OK if you apply for some kind of dangerous job, like a Pilot, but someone taking calls at a Callcenter is to be measured by his ability to take calls and not the things he does in his free time. 

Indeed. This.

@Dagbiker

said:

You are being judged on your character, and that character should not smoke pot.

And alcoholics should continue to drink and beat their wives in front of their kids. Cause all users are all alike, right??
melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By melcene
@example1013 said:
@melcene said:
@Unknown_Pleasures said:
Hmm this is an interesting point.  Of course, I meant if it were legalized across the board.  But I think that even people who "use for medical reasons" can be turned away for a job without it being discrimination - whether the employer claims its because of liability insurance or whatever.  I mean, think about it this way - Is a CA police department likely to hire an applicant who smokes pot over one who doesn't because they're afraid of a discrimination suit?  I doubt it.  Of course discrimination suits when it comes to hiring are a tough thing to prove anyway.  I'd actually be interested in seeing something on whether this is something that can legally be discriminated against.
Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Dagbiker
@Sprizmo said:
@Dagbiker said:
And alcoholics should continue to drink and beat their wives in front of their kids. Cause all users are all alike, right??
Thats not what I said at all. Its not the employers place to punish people, its their place to find people that will come in on time, be ready to work, and work hard. If their workers are engaged in illegal activity that reflects badly on them. Im sure if there was a cheap, non-invasive way to test for alcoholism they would do so, but their is not.
TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TehFlan

Maybe stop breaking the law?

CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CarpetRemnant

You're making no distinction between someone who drinks alcohol and someone who is an alcoholic in your argument. 

Alcohol is not illegal, but if someone turned up to work drunk they'd probably be fired. As for drinking outside of work the employer doesn't care because drinking alcohol, whatever your personal opinion of it happens to be, is not an illegal activity.

Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Sprizmo
@EpicSteve said:
I'm all for drug screenings before getting a job. My only civilian jobs have been pre-school teaching and security, those industries seem to demand an employee be screened. A background check is demanded my employers as well. Don't be that guy that says "fuck, the system doesn't allow me to break the law!".   Keep in mind that if you're actively breaking the law, you run the risk of getting caught. To an employer, you're a risk. What happens when you get arrested before a shift? 
Drug screens for those jobs, fine. But marijuana should be treated the same as alcohol, because its half as debilitating - long term or short term. That has been proven in countless studies. The reason its illegal has everything to do with the cotton lobbyists and the laws they demanded be instilled to keep hemp from competing in the market.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Claude
@TehFlan said:

Maybe stop breaking the law?

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I'm all for the drug tests, often they do more good than bad.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
@Sprizmo said:
@EpicSteve said:
I'm all for drug screenings before getting a job. My only civilian jobs have been pre-school teaching and security, those industries seem to demand an employee be screened. A background check is demanded my employers as well. Don't be that guy that says "fuck, the system doesn't allow me to break the law!".   Keep in mind that if you're actively breaking the law, you run the risk of getting caught. To an employer, you're a risk. What happens when you get arrested before a shift? 
Drug screens for those jobs, fine. But marijuana should be treated the same as alcohol, because its half as debilitating - long term or short term. That has been proven in countless studies. The reason its illegal has everything to do with the cotton lobbyists and the laws they demanded be instilled to keep hemp from competing in the market.

It should be treated the same yes, but it is illegal, for stupid reasons sure but illegal none the less. Which leads to it not being treated the same.
Sprizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sprizmo
I'm going to add this: Bush was on record having done coke. Became president anyways. Arnold Swarchenegger is on film ("Pumping Iron") smoking pot. Became governor. So these high public positions are immune to the stigma, but I can't get a job at Office depot because its considered "Illegal"? Please. Hypocrisy all around.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By keyhunter

Shut up assholes. If you know you're getting a job, quit smoking the ganja a month in advance. No sense in bitching about it. Or stick to things like acid and MDMA which is outta your system in minutes and can't really be tested for. My company takes it a step further and brings drug dogs into our work camp and fires everyone. And on top of that, if an incident happens, everyone on the crew related to the incident OR NOT gets a drug test and everyone gets fired. It's not hard to follow the rules, I don't let these punk ass substances control my life. Anyone who fails a drug test or gets fired for drug use is a weepy bleeding pussssyyyy

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#48  Edited By EpicSteve
@Sprizmo said:
@EpicSteve said:
It doesn't matter how ridiculous a law is. If you want to participate in a society, you have to follow its rules.  
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Example1013
@melcene: If you can prove that a statistically significant number of pot smokers were passed up for employment in favor of non-smokers, you've got yourself a discrimination case. It's no different than any racial discrimination lawsuit, except that the data might be harder to obtain.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Bloodgraiv3
@Sprizmo said:
I'm going to add this: Bush was on record having done coke. Became president anyways. Arnold Swarchenegger is on film ("Pumping Iron") smoking pot. Became governor. So these high public positions are immune to the stigma, but I can't get a job at Office depot because its considered "Illegal"? Please. Hypocrisy all around.

Welcome to the world we live in, laws often get wavered for more important people than compared to the average joe.