• 107 results
Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

So what's the one scene from a film that you saw that served no propose to the plot of the film?

For me, it has to be this one scene from the film Colors

The plot of the film is that it's about two cops roaming around the streets of South Central L.A and interacting with it's inhabitants. The plot goes deeper than that but I don't want to go too much into it. 

The scene I'm about to show you serves no propose to the plot of the film, it doesn't even involve characters whom are key elements to the story. 

Though I will admit, that scene was funny. . . .
ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By ahoodedfigure

No purpose to the plot, or no purpose to the theme, or the film itself?  I mean, some movies are full of random images that still fit the feeling it's trying to convey, even if it doesn't fit the plot. 

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hot_Karl

One thing that immediately comes to mind is the scene in Spider Man 2 where the neighbor girl gives Peter a piece of cake. It literally has no bearing on the plot, nor do we get anything at all from that scene. You learn that there's a kinda fugly girl that likes Peter, and that Peter likes to eat cake. That's it.

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By DCFGS3

There was one particular art house film, French maybe, about romance, and in one seen two people are talking in a cafe, while outside several elephants walk past. No explanation, there wasn't a circus, just elephants walking past.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By CL60
@VinceNotVance said:
" One thing that immediately comes to mind is the scene in Spider Man 2 where the neighbor girl gives Peter a piece of cake. It literally has no bearing on the plot, nor do we get anything at all from that scene. You learn that there's a kinda fugly girl that likes Peter, and that Peter likes to eat cake. That's it. "
That's some good info to know though!
Ashwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By Ashwyn

I thought that the 'Boy Kirk scene' in the 2009 Star Trek movie was pointless as hell...
 I'm guessing it's meant to show that Kirk as a character is a kind of Risk taker, but then in the next scene we see Kirk having a fight in a bar, so the previous Scene is pointless >_>.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead
@VinceNotVance said:
" One thing that immediately comes to mind is the scene in Spider Man 2 where the neighbor girl gives Peter a piece of cake. It literally has no bearing on the plot, nor do we get anything at all from that scene. You learn that there's a kinda fugly girl that likes Peter, and that Peter likes to eat cake. That's it. "
I thought it was a nice bit of character development and fleshed out Peter's world. It's definitely built on in Spider-Man 3.
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

I never feel any particular movie scenes have absolutly no contribution to a movie, even if its as random as can be, it could then serve as adding some quirkyness to the film.
Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Synthballs

The ship sinking in the Titanic.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Red12b
@VinceNotVance said:
I needed that cheers :) 

Pointless, pointless, umm, I'll come back later, I have to think.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Red12b
@Synthballs said:
" The ship sinking in the Titanic. "
Uh-huh,
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the cake girl in Spiderman 2. She seemed like she had a sweet crush on Peter and her coming with some cake to cheer him up when he felt like shit was a nice moment.
Especially since Mary Jane was such an insufferable cunt

Perfect_Winter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Perfect_Winter

Being John Malkovich is full of scenes that seem to serve no purpose, but I guess that's the point and I kind of love it for it's inaneness.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CptBedlam

Midichlorians .... that scene singlehandedly destroyed the "force"-mythos of the SW universe.

Perfect_Winter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Perfect_Winter
@CptBedlam said:
" Midichlorians .... that scene singlehandedly destroyed the "force"-mythos of the SW universe. "
Ugghhh I had actually repressed that memory and you brought it back to the surface, i'm going to go cry in a corner and mourn my defeated childhood.
Avatar image for themightymonarch
themightymonarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By themightymonarch

The sex scene in 300 is the most useless and unnecessary thing I've ever suffered through. I would also like to include every scene in American Psycho 2 that did not involve William Shatner.

Perfect_Winter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Perfect_Winter

I think I found it, the scene with Natalie Portman from "Leon - The Professional", it is still one of my favourite movies of all time though. For those who havn't seen the film, Leon is training Mathilda (Natalie) to become a hitman and then this scene appears, totally pointless but still rather funny.   

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Castro
@VinceNotVance said:
I haven't seen that movie since I first saw it in the theater, but I seem to recall that the girl was kinda cute. I think it was a Russian family? Is that right? I don't know. It probably served no purpose. Thinking back on it, I don't recall that coming up later in the movie.

I don't know if you guys have seen it, but there's this movie called "The Room". I don't recall 60% of that movie having anything to do with anything at all. It's pretty hilarious if you're interested. You can watch the trailer at the movie's website which can be found here.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CptBedlam
@Perfect_Winter: The scene is not pointless at all. It shows that she is just a little girl and deliberately contradicts the whole "train me to be a killer"-thing. There are even more things to it which I will not explain now (Leon's emotional life, the bond between the two and how he opens up to her etc.)

Maybe you mistake "I don't like the scene" with "doesn't serve a purpose in the movie".
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By foggel

Transformers 2. 

All of it.

Perfect_Winter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Perfect_Winter
@CptBedlam: None of those things require that scene to be explained though, you could take out that scene and still know all of those things.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CptBedlam
@Perfect_Winter said:

" @CptBedlam: None of those things require that scene to be explained though, you could take out that scene and still know all of those things. "

No, without this scene many of those things would've a much weaker impact. Also, that is the scene that shows the most how she is still a child.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foggel: DUDE! WHAT ABOUT DEVASTATOR'S BALLS LAWL! IT WAS SO FUNNY! AND MEGAN FOX IS SO HOT! THAT AUTOMATICALLY MAKES THE MOVIE GOOD RIGHT!? AND THOSE TWO ILLITERATE ROBOTS REALLY APPEALED TO MY URBAN SENSIBILITIES!

I fucking hate that movie. There's nothing redeeming about it at all.
Perfect_Winter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Perfect_Winter
@CptBedlam: I don't think so, you only feel those things because you've scene all of the other scenes. Someone watching that scene alone without the rest of the movie would understand none of that. I'm not saying it's not a good scene, I actually like it. It just doesn't advance the plot in any way.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MrKlorox

The Gambarelli/Gambetti string of missions in GTA4

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CptBedlam
@Perfect_Winter said:

" @CptBedlam: I don't think so, you only feel those things because you've scene all of the other scenes. Someone watching that scene alone without the rest of the movie would understand none of that. I'm not saying it's not a good scene, I actually like it. It just doesn't advance the plot in any way. "

I think it contributes to the plot on the base of character development. Also it's structurally important for the movie because it's a light-hearted intermezzo before bad things start to happen whose emotional impact is strenghened by the contradiction. The editors of that movie knew what they were doing.

And there are many important scenes in many movies that you wouldn't understand if watched out of context.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By penguindust

Any of the three of four endings to Lord of the Rings: Return of the King.  I know the book goes on and on, but the movie doesn't need to.  

Also, any montage that involves... 

1. dancing while doing some other task (i.e. dancing/cooking, dancing/cleaning, dancing/deboning a chicken)
  2. changing clothes over and over, a.k.a. the fashion montage or the make-over montage
  3. 60's Motown music or the 80's hit single "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves.
Perfect_Winter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Perfect_Winter
@CptBedlam: Didn't mean to imply that the editors didn't know what they were doing however any scene that features anyone can be classed as character development, I thought we were talking about scenes that serve no purpose to the plot.
Liminality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Liminality

The music fits perfectly.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PenguinDust: The fuck? 1 and 2 are essential to so many movies. Imagine Footloose without the Bacon dancing through the woods.
Blasphemy I say!
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CptBedlam
@Perfect_Winter: I just think it serves an important purpose in the movie. Both plot-wise (character development somewhat belongs to this) and structurally.
Perfect_Winter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Perfect_Winter
@PenguinDust said:
I know the book goes on and on, but the movie doesn't need to.  

It did if Peter Jackson didn't want to have legions of angry fans burning down his front door. Plus the ending is needed to let you know where all the characters end up.
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@CptBedlam said:
" @Perfect_Winter: The scene is not pointless at all. It shows that she is just a little girl and deliberately contradicts the whole "train me to be a killer"-thing. There are even more things to it which I will not explain now (Leon's emotional life, the bond between the two and how he opens up to her etc.)  Maybe you mistake "I don't like the scene" with "doesn't serve a purpose in the movie". "
Yup.  And FUCKING GODDAM MIDI FREAKIN CHLORIANS.  Lucas managed to destroy the entire reason for the whole original trilogy in one line of dialogue.  FUCK YOU LUCAS!
Perfect_Winter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Perfect_Winter
@CptBedlam said:
" @Perfect_Winter: I just think it serves an important purpose in the movie. Both plot-wise (character development somewhat belongs to this) and structurally. "
Character development is separate from plot development. Believe me, i'm in no way saying that the scene should be taken out of the film, if movies were only concerned with advancing the plot it would be a very boring medium. In fact with the scenes they took out of Leon for the US release it's almost a crime, they help you understand Mathilda's emotional state and her feelings for Leon. However the plot still goes in the same direction.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By penguindust
@Perfect_Winter:   Sometimes directors have to take one on the chin for the sake of creating a better theatrical experience.  Slavish devotion to the book bogs things down as was the case in The Watchmen.  I liked it well enough, but it didn't need to be that long.  To a regular film goer, there is a lot of superfluous material in the film.  The same is true of Return of the King.  I think most geeks would prefer that a director makes a great movie and not a good one that needlessly follows the source material. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lucas should've died after producing Raiders in 89.
He hasn't done anything, but tarnish and rape anything his touched since then.

It's almost an awesome sort of trolling the amount of nerd rage he's unleashed.
I never saw that flick Fanboys about the dudes who are gonna sneak into Skywalker Ranch to see Episode 1 before it's released, but I'd love it if the ending would be them sneaking into George's bedroom after seeing it and choking him to death in his sleep.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CptBedlam
@Perfect_Winter: No matter which way you see it ... it's not a scene worthy deemed "most unnecessary scene in a film" because it serves a purpose in various ways.
Perfect_Winter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Perfect_Winter
@CptBedlam: Well then you need to find a scene that's more worthy of that title, that's why we're here.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By crusader8463
@CptBedlam said:

" Midichlorians .... that scene singlehandedly destroyed the "force"-mythos of the SW universe. "

Nah it didn't, just think of it like this. A side effect of being force sensitive is the growth of these microbes in a persons system. The stronger in the force an individual is the more of them/easier it is to detect them. Once they discovered this side effect of being force sensitive, they began to use it as an easier means to detect force sensitive individuals who lacked the proper training to fully extend them selves in the force.

That helps me sleep at nights anyway.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By turbomonkey138

I think you will find this is classed as the most unnecessary but most awesome scene in a movie ever ...

I present to you : MEGA SHARK VS GIANT OCTOPUS

I got this on DVD before i saw it on youtube ...it was 15 quid in Tescos I saw this scene and was going to post it on youtube but i was beaten to it :(
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MikkaQ

I'd say the last... what half hour of the last LOTR movie? 

Whatever happens after they toss the ring is completely unnecessary. No one needed to survive, and we didn't need the confirmation of such, because it's pretty easy to assume anyway. It ended like 5 times and kept going. URGH. They won. Game over for  the bad guy. Cut to credits, and print, assholes.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42  Edited By crusader8463
@turbomonkey138: The music ruined it. Now if they did it with the JAWS ba dump, ba dump, music it would have been hilarious.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By turbomonkey138
@crusader8463 said:
" @turbomonkey138: The music ruined it. Now if they did it with the JAWS ba dump, ba dump, music it would have been hilarious. "
Its not the poster's fault ..He had to audio swap it . Copyright is a bitch
Perfect_Winter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Perfect_Winter
@XII_Sniper said:
" I'd say the last... what half hour of the last LOTR movie?  Whatever happens after they toss the ring is completely unnecessary. No one needed to survive, and we didn't need the confirmation of such, because it's pretty easy to assume anyway. It ended like 5 times and kept going. URGH. They won. Game over for  the bad guy. Cut to credits, and print, assholes. "
If that is the way the story is written though, what can you do? Sure you could change it for the sake of people who don't care about the books but then why make a LOTR movie in the first place? Why not just make your own generic fantasy movie?
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By skrutop

The last scene in Cabin Fever is sublimely ridiculous.  Early on, the pasty white teenagers go to a general store to pick up supplies.  They see some shotguns on the wall and ask the hillbilly owner what they're for.  Whitey responds "Those are for n******," which naturally freaks out the kids, so they buy their crap and get the hell out of there.  They then go on to the cabin and all sorts of nasty things happen to them in the woods.

At the end of the movie, a Jeep full of black guys rolls up to the general store, and the hick runs inside.  He comes back out with the shotguns, looking like he's going to shoot them.  But instead, he yells "WHADDAP MY N******!" and gives them their shotgun which he'd been holding onto for them.  They then, and I'm not kidding, have a hootenanny on the front porch with the black guys.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#46  Edited By Tennmuerti
@XII_Sniper said:
" I'd say the last... what half hour of the last LOTR movie?  Whatever happens after they toss the ring is completely unnecessary. No one needed to survive, and we didn't need the confirmation of such, because it's pretty easy to assume anyway. It ended like 5 times and kept going. URGH. They won. Game over for  the bad guy. Cut to credits, and print, assholes. "
I'd say the ending was not enough, the movie had to remove quite a large part of the ending already, like the burning and liberation of Shire for example.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Pretty much any sex scene in a film made in the 80's is pointless. The 80's was the decade of pointless sex scenes.

Disengage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48  Edited By Disengage

Every scene added to Apocalypse Now in Apocalypse Now Redux.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MikkaQ
@Tennmuerti said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
I'd say the ending was not enough, the movie had to remove quite a large part of the ending already, like the burning and liberation of Shire for example. "
What might work in a book, might not work in a movie. Adapting a book to film is not a 1:1 transition, you gotta know when to make cuts. No other movie has such a long epilogue. It's literally a half hour on the extended edition, 45 minutes if you count credits. It's madness!
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By luce

oh .. i read "Most necessary scene in a film"