MSNBC's warm welcome to Gov. Jindal

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BoG

Someone at MSNBC was less than enthusiastic to see Louisiana's governor respond to Pres. Obama tonight. Presumably it was Keith Olbermann, many people think it was Chris Matthews, but no one knows for sure.

From Politico:

It's more clear to me every single day that MSNBC has become the FOX news of the left.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By Claude

MSNBC wished they had the viewers of Fox. Olbermann probably thought he was off camera, when he got the wrong Starbucks coffee he ordered while he watched the speech.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Snipzor

It wasn't Mathews. That's all I can say, without pointing out the extreme doucheyness of it of course.

At least Eric Cantor was replaced by someone who is smarter and more reserved.

EDIT: It was Matthews, didn't expect that.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By maxszy

Well granted this was before.. it didn't help that the "response" didn't really "respond" to the speech at all.

The "Oh God" may of been bad taste (anyone, regardless of stance should realize that).. I still laughed. That's a mistake they wont forget. Lucky for them no one knows who it was for sure.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By ZombiePie

MSNBC decided a long time that after getting destroyed in ratings, at one point ranking lower on the Nielsen ratings than Headline News, that they would tap into the growing discontent with the GOP as a last ditch effort. Personally I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to the news, in that that I believe reporters should report the news without an inherent bias or misconstrue facts to favor one side, hence why I tend to stick with the BBC or PBS when it comes to the news.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

Well THANK God someone said it for the public to hear.  Jindal licks taint.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By maxszy
ZombiePie said:
"MSNBC decided a long time that after getting destroyed in ratings, at one point ranking lower on the Nielsen ratings than Headline News, that they would tap into the growing discontent with the GOP as a last ditch effort. Personally I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to the news, in that that I believe reporters should report the news without an inherent bias or misconstrue facts to favor one side, hence why I tend to stick with the BBC or PBS when it comes to the news.
"
Hope you don't forget NPR!
ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By ZombiePie
Maxszy said:
"ZombiePie said:
"MSNBC decided a long time that after getting destroyed in ratings, at one point ranking lower on the Nielsen ratings than Headline News, that they would tap into the growing discontent with the GOP as a last ditch effort. Personally I'm more of a traditionalist when it comes to the news, in that that I believe reporters should report the news without an inherent bias or misconstrue facts to favor one side, hence why I tend to stick with the BBC or PBS when it comes to the news.
"
"
Aw shit your right, but I was implying unbiased television news, but NPR is just as good as the BBC or PBS.
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By maxszy
ZombiePie said:
"Maxszy said:
"ZombiePie said:
"
"
Aw shit your right, but I was implying unbiased television news, but NPR is just as good as the BBC or PBS.
"
Ahhh well television then, you were spot on.

As far as radio goes though, NPR is great. But you're right, can't really compare radio to television. :-p
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#10  Edited By AgentJ

Yeah, didn't NBC actually create MSNBC in order to counter Fox news? Thats what i heard. I think thats kind of funny though, even though i respect Jindal. He is a rhode scholar, so he's not dumb. But man, I love Olbermanns segments "Bushed" and "worst person in the world". I catch them as often as i can because they just show how hypocritical politicians can be (and it's not always republicans. sometimes democrats also).

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Snipzor
AgentJ said:
"Yeah, didn't NBC actually create MSNBC in order to counter Fox news? Thats what i heard. I think thats kind of funny though, even though i respect Jindal. He is a rhode scholar, so he's not dumb. But man, I love Olbermanns segments "Bushed" and "worst person in the world". I catch them as often as i can because they just show how hypocritical politicians can be (and it's not always republicans. sometimes democrats also)."
And occasionally himself. But we go for the Bachmans and the Fox people.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BoG
ZombiePie said:
"
I'm the same way, I like the middle ground. I usually go to BBC, I'll occasionally watch CNN, and then I hop around. Last night I jumped between Hannity and Rachel Maddow. That was fun.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By BiggerBomb

Jindal is an idiot. Perhaps that's why...?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Snail
BiggerBomb said:
"Jindal is an idiot. Perhaps that's why...?"
Still the media isn't suposed to have an opinion, rather to give information to the people in an unbiased way.

A complete oposite is FOX news.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BiggerBomb
Snail said:
"BiggerBomb said:
Still the media isn't suposed to have an opinion, rather to give information to the people in an unbiased way.

A complete oposite is FOX news.
"
No, the media is supposed to have an opinion. They're just not supposed to let it interfere with their analysis. Without an opinion, analysis is nonexistent. That's why I don't watch CNN.

BoG said:
I'm the same way, I like the middle ground. I usually go to BBC, I'll occasionally watch CNN, and then I hop around. Last night I jumped between Hannity and Rachel Maddow. That was fun."

And to BoG. If you want to compare Olberman to Hannity, go ahead. But Maddow isn't a liberal who hates conservatism, she is a liberal who thoroughly reviewed political agendas and motives and has thus alligned herself with liberal idealogy. She is a Rhode's scholar who recieved her education at Oxford. She recieved her doctorate before the age of thirty and beat out Larry King's ratings for 13 out of the 21 days in which her show first aired.

MSNBC is liberal, you would have to be an idiot to think otherwise; this I will acknowledge. And Olberman is as liberal as Hannity is conservative, I find Olb's intolerable; he is practically a propagandist. Yet to say MSNBC has a bias comparable to the station that called Barack and Michelle's fist bump a "terrorist fist jab,"  the station of a man (Bill O'Reilly) who visited a famous restaurant in Harlem and said he was surprised that people were using forks and knives and using napkins instead of the table clothes, and the station of the infamously anti-semitic Hannity who will read RNC memo's as news stories...to say such a station as Fox is of no wrong when compared to MSNBC is entirely disingenuous.

You can be conservative, I will not berrate you for it. Idealogy is idealogy. But comparing MSNBC to Fox News is outright batshit crazy.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Snipzor

Isn't there a more important thing to talk about here? Like Bobby Jindal's speech? I mean, it felt like I was watching Mr Rogers, the point I got (You know, basic republican talking points as a response to Obama's talking points) but the delivery was just embarrassing to watch. Kinda like Bill Clinton's speech 3 years before he became president.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BiggerBomb
Snipzor said:
"Isn't there a more important thing to talk about here? Like Bobby Jindal's speech? I mean, it felt like I was watching Mr Rogers, the point I got (You know, basic republican talking points as a response to Obama's talking points) but the delivery was just embarrassing to watch. Kinda like Bill Clinton's speech 3 years before he became president.
"

There was something about Jindal's speech, that up until this morning, I couldn't identify. And then it hit me. His forced non-enthusiasm enthusiasm, teleprompter reading, mannequin demeanor reminded me of one of those cheesey TV public awareness announcements that begins with someone attempting to nonchalantly enter a room, see the camera, and then proceed to feign shock by saying, "Oh, hello. I didn't see you there." *Insert wax doll smile*

He didn't even address Obama's talking points. He merely reworded the hope dialogue of the President (sans enthusiasm,) inexplicably blamed the Democrats for the lackluster response to Katrina's devastation, and then proceeded to regurgitate the absolutely hilarious argument that it is the Republicans trying to initiate bi-partisan negotiations and it is the Democrats who are refusing to do so. This is the typical Neo-Con crap, in which liberals will lead a conservative on a step-by-step logical progression of their reasoning behind support for a bill, and then the Neo-Con will rephrase the same exact thing the Democrat just said and then use it as their own justification for their own argument. It's like talking to a three year old with his fingers stuck in his years, screaming "NANANANANANANANANANANANA, SEE! I'M RIGHT!" Abso-fucking-lutely ridiculous.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Diamond

The guy wears an INDIAN flag pin and no visible USA flag pin.  Imagine what people would have said if Obama had come on TV with a Kenyan flag pin?

It's kind of funny to see how desperate the Republican party is right now.  All they're going to do is alienate the racist South they made with Nixon.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Snipzor
BiggerBomb said:
There was something about Jindal's speech, that up until this morning, I couldn't identify. And then it hit me. His forced non-enthusiasm enthusiasm, teleprompter reading, mannequin demeanor reminded me of one of those cheesey TV public awareness announcements that begins with someone attempting to nonchalantly enter a room, see the camera, and then proceed to feign shock by saying, "Oh, hello. I didn't see you there." *Insert wax doll smile*

He didn't even address Obama's talking points. He merely reworded the hope dialogue of the President (sans enthusiasm,) inexplicably blamed the Democrats for the lackluster response to Katrina's devastation, and then proceeded to regurgitate the absolutely hilarious argument that it is the Republicans trying to initiate bi-partisan negotiations and it is the Democrats who are refusing to do so. This is the typical Neo-Con crap, in which liberals will lead a conservative on a step-by-step logical progression of their reasoning behind support for a bill, and then the Neo-Con will rephrase the same exact thing the Democrat just said and then use it as their own justification for their own argument. It's like talking to a three year old with his fingers stuck in his years, screaming "NANANANANANANANANANANANA, SEE! I'M RIGHT!" Abso-fucking-lutely ridiculous."
A-Like So?
No Caption Provided
I think this picture here that was posted by "Fish!" on Fark demonstrates exactly what happened in the speech. It was him speaking to the American people in baby talk, and I think that gave the illusion that he wasn't giving a republican speech that wasn't addressing the Obama speech. Which helped until we realized he was talking to us in baby talk.

This wasn't exactly typical neo-con bullshit though, not exactly. If he went through the whole "Creationism should be taught in schools" argument, then it would be typical.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By TheHBK

Yeah, it was Mathews, comfirmed by other news outlets and someone inside MSNBC.  Anyway, every fucking person knows this is the Republicans answer to obama, but seriously, this asshole is no where near being the leader or speaker Obama is.  He is just there because he is indian, and I am sure the republicans have someone in there who is better and white or hispanic or something but wont put them out there because this guy is so super ethnic.
The problem is that this fool is Indian, who the fuck cares? No one who counts in this country is even indian, either your Mexican, Black or White, thats about it.  Asian people get in there but only because they get so much government assistance that they form little communities to get someone into office.  Which by the way, they tried to do where I live by illegal means and one of these assholes went to jail.
Fuck this asshole and lets get back to serious politics, no one is gonna rally behind him because they cant identify with him.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By SoothsayerGB
ZombiePie said:
"

Dude just read my mind.  Freaky, no one I know in real life agrees with that.  I can never understand how American's can take normal media.  I watch for a few minutes and start yelling at the TV.  Till I catch myself actually getting pissed, and turn it off. 

But yeah, it was Mathews.  I think so at least and yes it's for the worst reasons. 

BODDAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BODDAH

To clear things up, the BBC and CNN are equally biased (left wing, obviously).

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Diamond
BODDAH said:
"To clear things up, the BBC and CNN are equally biased (left wing, obviously)."
BBC is extremely neutral, easily the most neutral media.

CNN's main people are all pretty far left, but they did put Glenn Beck on.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Snipzor
BODDAH said:
"To clear things up, the BBC and CNN are equally biased (left wing, obviously)."
Not even close. BBC is the definition of neutrality, whereas CNN is just plain idiotic. I mean, CNN often makes my head hurt it is so damn idiotic.
BODDAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BODDAH
Snipzor said:
"BODDAH said:
Not even close. BBC is the definition of neutrality, whereas CNN is just plain idiotic. I mean, CNN often makes my head hurt it is so damn idiotic.
"
http://www.aim.org/media-monitor/bbc-admits-anti-american-bias/

And if you want evidenced that CNN is biased, just watch it.
VRMN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By VRMN

To be completely fair, that was an incredibly corny entrance by Gov. Jindal, and the speech he proceeded to give didn't help the initial image whatsoever.

That said, while I find Mathews' disdain towards the GOP amusing (and, unfortunately at this point, expected), it really shouldn't be tolerated. There's supposed to be some level of professionalism in journalism that is far too lacking on cable news.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Diamond
VRMN said:
That said, while I find Mathews' disdain towards the GOP amusing (and, unfortunately at this point, expected), it really shouldn't be tolerated. There's supposed to be some level of professionalism in journalism that is far too lacking on cable news
The problem is, it doesn't seem to be what viewers want.  Like any corporation, the media exists to make money.  Fox News and Limbaugh are popular.  Now the more left media will act even more left to get those viewers.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Snail
BiggerBomb said:
"Snail said:
"BiggerBomb said:

A complete oposite is FOX news."
No, the media is supposed to have an opinion. They're just not supposed to let it interfere with their analysis. Without an opinion, analysis is nonexistent. That's why I don't watch CNN."
Yeah, sure.

But what you just wrote contradicts your first post.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By RHCPfan24

Haha. That is a good intro. Still, I don't know if you have noticed but EVERYONE, from MSNBC, CNN and Fox News, have all panned Jindal's speech. It just goes to show that people don't always succumb to biases even when what they are defending is wrong. He was referring to the American people like children unaware of anything. It was a very bad speech.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiggerBomb
Snail said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Snail said:
"BiggerBomb said:

A complete oposite is FOX news."
No, the media is supposed to have an opinion. They're just not supposed to let it interfere with their analysis. Without an opinion, analysis is nonexistent. That's why I don't watch CNN."
Yeah, sure.

But what you just wrote contradicts your first post.
"

...?

How does me calling Jindal an idiot contradict my stating that pundits should have opinions?
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Milkman

First off, Jindal is a moron so, he deserves to be sighed at.

Second, this is a complete waste of time. You have no idea who said or what they were saying "Oh god" about. You're just skewing things to make it seem like they did something horrible.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BoG

I have to say, I think anyone who says they picked Jindal for being Indian is mistaken. Most people think he handled the hurricaines really well, and by not taking stimulus money, he's popular among congressional republicans. If they wanted to appeal to different races, Michael Steele would have given the speech.

Also, it has been confirmed that Matthews said it, as someone said. Apparently, he was just taken aback by the setting and how presidential it seemed.
Finally, what did I do to anger you BiggerBomb? I didn't say anythign about either network, I just said I switched between Hannity and Maddow. And wasn't Jindal a Rhode's scholar too?
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BiggerBomb
BoG said:
"I have to say, I think anyone who says they picked Jindal for being Indian is mistaken. Most people think he handled the hurricaines really well, and by not taking stimulus money, he's popular among congressional republicans. If they wanted to appeal to different races, Michael Steele would have given the speech.
Also, it has been confirmed that Matthews said it, as someone said. Apparently, he was just taken aback by the setting and how presidential it seemed.
Finally, what did I do to anger you BiggerBomb? I didn't say anythign about either network, I just said I switched between Hannity and Maddow. And wasn't Jindal a Rhode's scholar too?
"

You didn't anger me, I just said it would be ridiculous to compare MSNBC to Fox News.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BiggerBomb

And yes, that is Chris Matthews. He's saying "Oh, god" because Jindal walks in looking like a complete doofus; his demeanor entirely representative of the nonsense to come.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Snail
BiggerBomb said:
"Snail said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"No, the media is supposed to have an opinion. They're just not supposed to let it interfere with their analysis. Without an opinion, analysis is nonexistent. That's why I don't watch CNN."
Yeah, sure.

But what you just wrote contradicts your first post."
...?

How does me calling Jindal an idiot contradict my stating that pundits should have opinions?"
No no no no no. You were explaining what the guy did by reinforcing his opinion which affected the report of the news.

I don't know it that was clear.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BiggerBomb
Snail said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Snail said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"No, the media is supposed to have an opinion. They're just not supposed to let it interfere with their analysis. Without an opinion, analysis is nonexistent. That's why I don't watch CNN."
Yeah, sure.

But what you just wrote contradicts your first post."
...?

How does me calling Jindal an idiot contradict my stating that pundits should have opinions?"
No no no no no. You were explaining what the guy did by reinforcing his opinion which affected the report of the news.

I don't know it that was clear.
"

I don't think you're talking about the right person's comment. I only watched the video a couple of minutes ago, that comment is right above your latest one.
BODDAH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BODDAH

Jindal's an idiot? Ha. You see the (R) next to his name and immediately recall what your parents taught you about Republicans. Disgusting.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Snipzor
BODDAH said:
"Jindal's an idiot? Ha. You see the (R) next to his name and immediately recall what your parents taught you about Republicans. Disgusting."
Did you see the speech he gave, it was terrible. Not even the republicans were willing to defend him.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Snail
BiggerBomb said:
"Snail said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"...?

I don't know it that was clear."
I don't think you're talking about the right person's comment. I only watched the video a couple of minutes ago, that comment is right above your latest one."
Wait... People were asking--

You know what? Nevermind.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#40  Edited By TheHBK
BoG said:
"I have to say, I think anyone who says they picked Jindal for being Indian is mistaken. Most people think he handled the hurricaines really well, and by not taking stimulus money, he's popular among congressional republicans. If they wanted to appeal to different races, Michael Steele would have given the speech.
"

I am still gonna say that they do put him out there more than anyone else because he is indian.  No doubt that it has something to do with it, and besides, what hurricanes? He wasnt governor when Katrina hit was he?  And not taking the stimulus money is stupid and wont make him popular with the people he represents.  Thats the fucking problem, the republicans are trying to keep each other happy instead of the people.  And thats also why they put him out there because he follows the republicans and what they want instead of what the people want or need.
A contrast, Arnold, my governor, a real governor, said fuck that, we need the money and if the govt is giving it out, lets go, because shit is bad for the states, and he is not making some stand to prove a point at the cost of schools or state programs.  He basically said, if Bobby don't want the money, fuck him, give me his share.