My housemates have never seen Alien. How is this even possible?

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_A_Drain

Shocked I was! Shocked!

My housemates have never seen Alien. Nor John Carpenter's The Thing.

Whats worse, is they aren't even interested in seeing those movies either, instead all they want to do is watch Japanese horror films. While I totally endorse japanese/korean/etc horror films, how can people ignore the western classics?

We watched Doll Maker last night, and I noticed that a lot of the films elements were heavily influenced by Alien, but still my housemates dont want to see it, they just aren't interested.

Anyone got similarly infuriating stories?
I'm just bored, real bored. And hungover :P

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By lord_canti

i have never watched the godfather  or the ring or saw   a lot of people have the same reaction to that  :P

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By c1337us

None of my family or friends share any of my obsessions for video games in general or cartoons. It infuriates me when all I get is a blank stare when I start talking about the latest game I have been playing or my favorite episodes of He-man or the Thundercats etc.

ADDTasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ADDTasty

Screw Alien. Aliens (the sequel) is where it's at!

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_A_Drain

Aliens is a really good action film, but I just find it weird any horror fan who hasn't seen Alien. Seeing it, or a part of it, and disliking it however is another story, people are allowed to do that (even though it makes them weird! :P)

I get it in the neck a lot for hating The Godfather. I can't stand it.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I read that title as "My housemates have never seen an alien. How is that even possible?". I was getting ready to call the men in white coats.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_A_Drain

What are you talking about man? They're everywhere?

Gary_Armstrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gary_Armstrong
lord_canti said:
i have never watched the godfather  or the ring or saw   a lot of people have the same reaction to ... [more]
Ring (any version), and  Saw I can recommend avoiding. Godfather, not so much.

I adore both Alien and Aliens. Very different movies in genre, but both fantastic at what they do.
FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

I haven't seen those movies either...

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_A_Drain

The original Ring is pretty good, I wouldn't flat out recomend avoiding it, but each person has different tastes. It's not everyones cup of tea thats for sure.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks

Force feed him the Trilogy.

Show them some pics of HR Giger's design art from the film, it might up their interest.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Godwind

Never seen it either.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_A_Drain
Linkyshinks said:
Force feed him the Trilogy.Show them some pics of HR Giger's design art from the film, it might up their ... [more]

This is what puzzles me.

They love japanese/korean/chinese/etc horror films.
Two of them being artists, they love HR Giger.
They all love John Hurt and Sigourney Weaver.

But I just cannot get them to watch Alien. I don't understand it. You'd think it would be the perfect film for them.
Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Matt_

I have the hardest time getting people to watch HEAT. Seriously, none of my friends have seen that movie. It's depressing. Personally, I like The Thing much more than I like Alien. But I consider both to be great movies.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By damswedon

ive never seen alien but ive seen every other one

Malchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Malchom

I never saw any of the terminator movies before last week when I saw the salvation trailer and thought "Hum... maybe I should look at this series..."

People used to call me an "infidel" for not having seen any of those movies...

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Matt_
Malchom said:
I never saw any of the terminator movies before last week when I saw the salvation trailer and thought "Hum... ... [more]

Well, I wish I caught you before you watched them but you should only have watched 1 and 2. The third movie was plagued by the Godfather/Robocop curse, which basically means it was awful.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_A_Drain

Yeah seriously, Terminator 1 and 2 is where it's at. 3 was beyond laughable.

And damnswedon: You need to see Alien :P It's totally unlike Aliens and Alien 3.

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By lord_canti

3 wasnt that bad it was ok not as good as 1 or 2 but still a ok film

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By NickM

I say beat your friends over the head with a stick.

One of my friends kept listening to crappy hip-hop and RnB like 50 cent, Flo Rida, Akon and T-Pain. I kept telling him to listen to some Wu-Tang, Nas, Public Enemy, but he didn't even give it a try. That really pissed me off.

Also, one guy I know kept refusing to buy Call of Duty 4, instead he bought crap like the Dynasty Warriors games and shit like that. What made it worse, is that he is really into shooters, yet did not buy COD 4, even though I kept telling him to buy it for like half a year.  Yes, I'm talking about you, MatadorBroff!
Doomshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Doomshine

I had a similar reaction when I was discussing comedies and had to explain to two people who Monty Python was.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By cinemandrew

I love The Thing.

Alien, and Aliens are both amazing films, and should definitely be seen.

I had the same experience with my girlfriend when I first met her. There were a ton of movies that she had not seen, that were kinda no brainers to me. She grew up watching a lot of musicals with her family, so she missed out on a lot of the good stuff. Lucky for me though, she hasn't really resisted watching anything I've recomended. Some people can just be stubborn for no apparent reason. I didn't like Clint Eastwood for the longest time, until one of my friends made me watch Fistfull of Dollars, and now I'm a huge fan. I can't even remember why I didn't like him in the first place. If they don't want to see it, then too bad, it's their loss. You know the movies are great, and you can take satisfaction in knowing that you are supperior to them because of this.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By penguindust

It's not a big deal.  I wonder have you ever seen the original Thing?  I know people who've never seen Star Wars, the Godfather or Casablanca and chances are they never will.  It's just not their thing. 

cinemandrew said:
I love The Thing.Alien, and Aliens are both amazing films, and should definitely be seen.I had the same experience with ... [more]
A lot of musicals are good stuff.  I wonder how many of the films that she enjoys had you seen. 

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By The_A_Drain
PenguinDust said:
It's not a big deal.  I wonder have you ever seen the original Thing?  I know people who've never seen ... [more]

Howard Hawk's The Thing From Another World?

Yeah, I have the DVD right next to me, it's a pile of crap compared to the John Carpenter remake. Nothing like the short story it's based on whereas John Carpenters is much more faithfull.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Black_Rose

I've never seen the original Alien, I've seen all the sequels but never bothered to go back to the original.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_A_Drain

It's a lot different. It's a lot more about suspense than action like the sequels, it's actually a horror movie unlike Aliens and Alien 3. It's worth seeing just for one of the most memorable scenes in cinema history.